YesNoOk

Copy moves to another char? (Read 2880 times)

Started by CyraxXXi, January 14, 2019, 12:07:33 am
Share this topic:
Copy moves to another char?
#1  January 14, 2019, 12:07:33 am
    • Italy
    • ulysselysse@yahoo.it
Hello, I tried to copy a move from another character and then insert it into my character.
The result was that the move works, but the character doubles and some attacks fail.
I copied the state of the move first, then you are in the file cmd, and added the animations in the air file, and so far so good, but with my knowledge I can not figure out where the error is?
Can someone help me?
Re: Copy moves to another char?
#2  January 14, 2019, 12:42:37 am
  • CPU Purple Heart
    • USA
    • https://www.pixiv.net/en/users/8108265
 That doesn't really work. An attack comprises of more than coding (and even then, the coding itself may have distinct traits like required variables and helpers that make it work the way it does). You also have traits like sprites, animations, sounds and other requirements that make the attack work the way it does. Basically, you can't just copypaste a code and expect it to work without understanding how it functions on a fundamental level.
#3  January 14, 2019, 12:52:41 am
    • Italy
    • ulysselysse@yahoo.it
I managed to replicate the move to perfection, going to the intuition, but not understanding what I was doing.
Basically I took a look at the hitdef and the changeste.
At first looking at the attack codes (CTRL + D during the game session) I had only entered 2 Statef, but looking at the hitdefs and the changestate I found that I had to enter other statedef.
In this way I managed to replicate the move perfectly.
The problem is that I would like to understand more about how to copy a move, because although now I managed to replicate it I did not understand what I did.
I would like to learn to avoid mistakes and bugs, in order to copy the moves I want in my characters, I accept any kind of help to improve my knowledge with the mugen.
Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 12:55:42 am by CyraxXXi
#4  January 14, 2019, 12:56:21 am
  • CPU Purple Heart
    • USA
    • https://www.pixiv.net/en/users/8108265
 You basically need to understand MUGEN on a fundamental level as I've said before. Even mere character edits require that kind of understanding. I feel this question is generalized enough that the only valid answer I can give is check out the tutorials and tips that are posted on this forum, on YouTube and especially check out Elecbyte's that comes prepackaged in their default MUGEN that you download (not screenpacks, they usually remove those tutorials).

Also, editing KFM is a decent place to start because his coding includes tips that give you a basic idea of how things work in MUGEN characters.
#5  January 15, 2019, 07:00:25 am
  • Shame on you!
    • USA
If you're brand new to editing, you may want to just skim this over
http://mugenguild.com/forum/topics/mugen-101-things-you-need-know-169758.0.html
Follow the links to the stuff you want to know about.

If you copy and paste a basic attack, and import the exact animation(s) it uses, it should work fine as long as you switch states to it. But like Nep Heart said, there's a lot more going on.

One thing that trips up new coders trying to duplicate moves is the actual hitdef. GO READ THE ENTIRE HITDEF in mugen class. Do it. Seriously. It'll take about 15 to 20 minutes but you'll know and understand a lot more once you get to the end. It's one of the links in the Mugen 101.
So the animation has the blue and red boxes. The red boxes dont hurt P2 until a hitdef is defined. Here's the tricky part. If that hitdef doesn't trigger before the red boxes, it wont work. Countless people have this happen to them. Mainly because you dont see the animation while working on the code.

Another reason a move wont work is if it isn't set as an Attack. If the StateDef is set up wrong, or if a
type = StateTypeSet
sets to
moveType = I

Those are two common mess ups. There are just far too many reasons why the move isn't working without some more details.
vVv Ryuko718 Updated 10/31/22 vVv
#6  January 15, 2019, 02:26:46 pm
    • Italy
    • ulysselysse@yahoo.it
You basically need to understand MUGEN on a fundamental level as I've said before. Even mere character edits require that kind of understanding. I feel this question is generalized enough that the only valid answer I can give is check out the tutorials and tips that are posted on this forum, on YouTube and especially check out Elecbyte's that comes prepackaged in their default MUGEN that you download (not screenpacks, they usually remove those tutorials).

Also, editing KFM is a decent place to start because his coding includes tips that give you a basic idea of how things work in MUGEN characters.

If you're brand new to editing, you may want to just skim this over
http://mugenguild.com/forum/topics/mugen-101-things-you-need-know-169758.0.html
Follow the links to the stuff you want to know about.

If you copy and paste a basic attack, and import the exact animation(s) it uses, it should work fine as long as you switch states to it. But like Nep Heart said, there's a lot more going on.

One thing that trips up new coders trying to duplicate moves is the actual hitdef. GO READ THE ENTIRE HITDEF in mugen class. Do it. Seriously. It'll take about 15 to 20 minutes but you'll know and understand a lot more once you get to the end. It's one of the links in the Mugen 101.
So the animation has the blue and red boxes. The red boxes dont hurt P2 until a hitdef is defined. Here's the tricky part. If that hitdef doesn't trigger before the red boxes, it wont work. Countless people have this happen to them. Mainly because you dont see the animation while working on the code.

Another reason a move wont work is if it isn't set as an Attack. If the StateDef is set up wrong, or if a
type = StateTypeSet
sets to
moveType = I

Those are two common mess ups. There are just far too many reasons why the move isn't working without some more details.

thanks for the advice, I have in mind to edit many characters and you have given me valuable ideas for reading.
#7  January 15, 2019, 07:58:15 pm
  • Shame on you!
    • USA
No problem
vVv Ryuko718 Updated 10/31/22 vVv
#8  January 17, 2019, 07:37:36 pm
  • Why,
How many us looking at kfm code... thanks them make that in mind?
Hey, can i help, or maybe i need help