Ikemen GO (Read 1221400 times)

Started by K4thos, May 26, 2018, 03:04:27 am
Share this topic:
Re: Ikemen GO Plus
#681  April 27, 2019, 03:57:47 am
  • One of Ikemen GO devs
    • Colombia
The user can replace the training char.
The Mugen Ikemen Files.zip could be updated someone finds a better training char and the autor gives permission to include it.

Was Ikemen made by a creator that doesn't give any support about the coding and how the things work?

Lua language scares the Mugen players because it's not a common language for most of us.

That's not so easy to customize the engine like you want to.

When I knew the ikemen existence, I did believe this engine was more evolved than Mugen, but after doing tests, it becomes more limited than Mugen, as well as shugendo, ikemen doesn't seems it's gonna survive for much time.

Ikemen GO is actually less restrictive than Mugen. But is not on the same level as unreal or unity, I said it before we do not plan to compete with comercial engines.
Supersuehiro does actually care about coding and features he sucks at documenting code though.

We have 2 languages CNS and ZSS.
ZSS is more similar to C-Style languages.
https://github.com/K4thos/Ikemen-GO-Plus/blob/K4-experimental/data/common1.cns.zss
The first Ikemen was programmed in ZSS.

I said that I don't think that CNS is bad enough to remove it like shugendo.
Elecbyte did plan to deprecate CNS on MUGEN 2.0 so it wound not be compatible with new features of the engine.

ZSS could be used if the user wants a more C-Like language and more freedom in the way to interact with code.
But we need to document that...

I know that CNS is trigger system is restrictive.
What do you guys consider restrictive apart from the trigger system in CNS?
Would be good for avoiding the same mistakes in ZSS.
But wait!! We haven't made the Suave Dude character yet!!
Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 04:27:12 am by Gacel
#682  April 27, 2019, 04:33:27 am
LUA/ZSS language is great, i know that ikemen has a great potential, but we don't know use it, there are many files and inumerous command lines, only a game programmer with more experience know how to handle each one of them.

i saw there's a folder where all sprites from a char are extracted to run the char and its portraits from there, but like that the various folders with every char sprites would take too size into megabytes.

We don't know if this engine will work like we imagined.

i thought this engine was easier to customize as mugen.

i have no more control about the resolution and pixelation.

My png images of 8bits works perfectly in mugen 1.1, but in ikemen appears everything black colors.

it´s not possible convert any screenpacks to ikemen easily.

it´s hard to position sprites to make a different selection screen.

you have no tools to help you know like the stuff is looking on screen.

the OpenGL is very outdated and don't read any png correctly.

#683  April 27, 2019, 04:49:36 am
the ikemen engine offers benefits, but at the same time it´s very hard to customize, the unique thing that players get to do is putting chars and change some images, but the skeleton is the same.

only for having animated portraits and features that anyone knows how to use correctly, it's not worthing all efforts once the engine is hard to use.

ikemen can have one million of features, but unhappily with a complex interface and no model to follow.

Suehiro could to add at least a filter options on this engine to avoid the pixelation.

like:

bilinear
2superxsal
4xBR rounded
hq3x filter
hq2x bold

Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 04:53:46 am by Mazemerald.
#684  April 27, 2019, 04:52:39 am
  • One of Ikemen GO devs
    • Colombia
LUA/ZSS language is great, i know that ikemen has a great potential, but we don't know use it, there are many files and inumerous command lines, only a game programmer with more experience know how to handle each one of them.
That's why we said we need to document ZSS.
Also LUA is not that hard, yeah you need more programming experience to manage them, that's why I said we need to keep CNS.

i saw there's a folder where all sprites from a char are extracted to run the char and its portraits from there, but like that the various folders with every char sprites would take too size into megabytes.
We need to change that.
The animated portrait system is a mess because it only uses lua instead of GO.
A rewrite of the system is planned on the future.

We don't know if this engine will work like we imagined.

i thought this engine was easier to customize as mugen.
What parts are harder than Mugen?
Remember Ikemen is in constant development. Your feedback would help to fix that.

I have no more control about the resolution and pixelation.
I was trying just now to implement real fullscreen.

My png images of 8bits works perfectly in mugen 1.1, but in ikemen appears everything black colors.
Wait that's a bug.
Report it and we will try to fix it.

it´s not possible convert any screenpacks to ikemen easily.
The only part of the screenpacks that work different is the localcoord setting and is just changing some numbers.

it´s hard to position sprites to make a different selection screen.
you have no tools to help you know like the stuff is looking on screen.
Screenpack design is not different from mugen, I do not know graphic tools for MUGEN screenpacks.
If they exist they also should work on Ikemen.

the OpenGL is very outdated and don't read any png correctly.
If we use a newer version half of the users would not be able to run Ikemen GO.
We do not have a need to use GLSL or tesellation.
Some people run mugen from a grandma PC.
#685  April 27, 2019, 04:57:42 am
*blob of text*

Bro literally only 2 dudes work on it, and the original dude abandoned everything. It's in early development, it'll get there with time. I think yes, issues should be important, but the way you are talking about them make you sound like an asshole honestly.

When you say shit like "ikemen doesn't seems it's gonna survive for much time" you're just being an asshole and not productive. There is a productive way to outline these issues. The developers know this is an issue, they've been working on it, literally only 2 dudes who are still university students on their free time. You even said it yourself, golang is too complicated for you, so what do you expect 2 guys to do?

I'm not saying you're wrong for voicing what Ikemen needs, I'm just saying you're going about it like a dickwad.
#686  April 27, 2019, 05:01:51 am
  • One of Ikemen GO devs
    • Colombia

the ikemen engine offers benefits, but at the same time it´s very hard to customize, the unique thing that players get to do is putting chars and change some images, but the skeleton is the same.

only for having animated portraits and features that anyone knows how to use correctly, it's not worthing all efforts once the engine is hard to use.

ikemen can have one million of features, but unhappily with a complex interface and no model to follow.

Suehiro could to add at least a filter options on this engine to avoid the pixelation.

That's how Mugen works, we aren't trying to make a completely new incompatible engine, we aren't trying to compete with comercial engines. (How many times I have to said this?)
We are trying to make a "Open source Mugen" because Electbyte died.

I'm not suehiro but I'm a contributor.
Suehiro does not work anymore on Ikemen. (Consider it like a temporary retirement)
The engine is in a Alpha stage.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_release_life_cycle#Alpha
Our main objective and priority is to be 99% compatible with Mugen 1.1
We consider adding filters but from now Reshade works from now.

When you say things like "Ikemen doesn't seems it's gonna survive for much time" you are saying that you are sure we are trowing the hard work of a group of people (That they did for free) to the dump, that is very rude.
Also please be more respectful to Suehiro and the people who worked on Ikemen.
Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 05:23:27 am by Gacel
#687  April 27, 2019, 05:15:29 am
is possible add optional filters for person that likes playing games without pixelation?

the emulator final burn has great filters that lets the games with a awesome looking without the pixelation.
and some scanlines becomes the game looking awesome.

i recommend:

bilinear / scanlines +

2superxsal
2xBR rounded
4xBR rounded
hq3x filter
hq2x bold

----------------------------------------------------

sorry if my words seems to be rude, but i thought the ikemen coding so complicated to use,
not even you could to get some evolution with a system like that because the complexity.
but it´s better try it than thinking it could be possible...

good luck.

Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 05:27:46 am by Mazemerald.
#688  April 27, 2019, 05:27:12 am
  • One of Ikemen GO devs
    • Colombia
That is a better and more respectfull way to phrase the question. :)

About Ikemen coding you refer to the lua files?
These are a mess, they need serious refactoring.
You know what once I finish everything in the issues list (Everything that is high priority and is in my capacity) I will refractor these so are clear a posible (I will also comment them)
https://github.com/Windblade-GR01/Ikemen_GO/issues
Maybe I will do at the same time as the the animated portrait rewrite.

For now is not posible add shaders out of the box we will add it to the roadmap. (There is sure a lot of people who will want this)
OpenGL can load shaders at runtime so it should be posible to load even custom ones!
But for now there is a tool called Reshade that does just that, junkerde made it work so you should ask them how he did it.

I will investigate why 8bit PNGs don't work.
Providing some examples of SFF that use 8bit PNGs would help a lot.

Also I would like to hear what parts are harder to customize than Mugen?
If something doesn't work like MUGEN is a problem because it means is a feature we lack.
Barring the localcoord configuration (I'm still working on it)

EDIT:

Hey Junkerede how do you manage reshade to work on Ikemen?
Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 05:52:18 am by Gacel
#689  April 27, 2019, 05:50:25 am
That is a better and more respectfull way to phrase the question.

For now is not posible we will add it to the roadmap. (There is sure a lot of people who will want this)
OpenGL can load shaders at runtime so it should be posible to load even custom ones!
But for now there is a tool called Reshade that does just that, junkerde made it work so you should ask them how he did it.

Thanks for your so polite explanation about everything, i have a big barrier for playing games with pixelation, i'm used to play games in emulators where the pixelation doesn't exist because the filters and the looking is awesome with some scanlines too.

in mugen 1.1 the unique solution for playing mugen without pixelation was use the resolution 384x224 that's the capcom cps2 native resolution for low-res sprites don't look pixelated.

this is the result that i got:

#690  April 27, 2019, 06:32:39 am
  • One of Ikemen GO devs
    • Colombia
Well reshade works!
Here is how it looks:

You have to tweak the HQx4 settings a bit.
Or you can use FXAA to look like the screenshots that you posted.
Also you can even use a scanline filter!

You can download it at:
https://reshade.me/
Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 06:44:01 am by Gacel
#691  April 27, 2019, 09:01:03 am
    • South Africa
I am very happy with the progress and dedication of those that work on this engine! Thank you for giving of your time and skills to move this project forward! Finally also, a ikemen build that can work natively in linux and mac! I look forward to the new features and progress!
#692  April 27, 2019, 09:26:16 am
    • USA
The latest reshade should work, it’s the previous versions that had issues. Here is a sample video that used advanced crt etc.
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

No reshade. You really benefit from reshade if you use higher resolutions. It’s all preference.
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

I make these videos to show the “possibilities” if one were to develop something beyond a standard mugen game. It is possible to do anything, yes there may be work required, but “you” set your own limits. Obviously with better resources it could go even further. It’s a combination of features at play, Ikemen helps, but no engine will make a game for you.

A lot of the things being brought up can be done, you just don’t have the knowledge. Knowledge, especially pertaining to this, is a choice only you can decide to learn about. Ikemen already exceeds what’s possible in mugen, why the complaints? I mean, I know the answer, usually you are just a downloadee, you only know, link? Download?

No need to shit on people whom are literally turning nothing into something. Not only for themselves.. I get that you are frustrated that things seem to be going slow, but what are you doing to change that?  You don’t want me to answer for you..

Your first mistake, as many of you.. You only see things at face value.. You can’t see things like potential, only caring for your personal gain. No one is forcing you to use this, neither do we have many alternatives. Once you start paying someone, then you can start having expectations.
#693  April 27, 2019, 09:37:25 am
    • Russia
Seems like we need to switch to OpenGL 3 if we want post-processing filters(HQx4 for example) in Ikemen. I can't promise anything, but i will try to make them work without ReShade.

EDIT: nevermind, we can make it work with OpenGL 2.1!
Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 11:45:56 am by kidcy
#694  April 27, 2019, 12:09:07 pm
    • South Africa
That's good to hear!
#695  April 27, 2019, 01:27:34 pm
    • Russia
Alright, here is hqx4 screenshot

I will make a pull request once i add post-processing in options menu.

Edit: better resolution
Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 01:33:45 pm by kidcy
#696  April 27, 2019, 01:29:16 pm
    • South Africa
Wow that looks amazing! Will this work on all platforms?
#697  April 27, 2019, 01:31:23 pm
    • Russia
It seems to work on Windows and Linux. Can't test on mac though.
#698  April 27, 2019, 01:34:36 pm
    • South Africa
Sounds good, I can test on mac once it is accepted!
#699  April 27, 2019, 02:05:32 pm
  • Pixels are atom's of resolution,Low-res or Hi-res
    • Turkey
    • metekervan26@gmail.com
Gacel have you checked run issue?
also fullscreen option in options doesnt really work sometimes,
Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 02:11:57 pm by Mark85
#700  April 27, 2019, 03:06:56 pm