YesNoOk

how to make new sprites match existing pal? (Read 3015 times)

Started by Prime SC, July 05, 2019, 07:56:15 am
Share this topic:
how to make new sprites match existing pal?
#1  July 05, 2019, 07:56:15 am
  • Niigasan
so im trying to add new sprites to this char but the palettes dont work with the new sprites, how do i go about making the new sprites match the og char pal?
Re: how to make new sprites match existing pal?
#2  July 05, 2019, 03:23:41 pm
  • Robotics Engineer
    • USA
    • altoiddealer@gmail.com
At minimum, you need to add the new colors from your new sprites, into the existing palette.

If that doesn't work for some reason, please report back.

#3  July 06, 2019, 01:41:00 am
  • Niigasan
Im not gonna lie I need a lil more in depth, so I use ff3, I opened the advanced pal editor, the character Sprite on the left, then I added the new Sprite to the right, I moved all the colors from the right to the left but I dont know what do from there, i tried saving the image after then adding it  but it was all messed up, I found a tutorial but it's from a ff j dont use so its confusing to undertand
#4  July 06, 2019, 02:34:41 am
    • Canada
Oooookay.

So divide this up into existing pal, and new pal.

so first thing first is you need to load the existing pallet into ff3's advanced pallet editor and manually select a manageable group of colors and save it in the custom colors section, I will usually choose all of the shades of a single color, like say all the shades of white in Ryu's Gi.

Then you load up new sprite pallet, and manually, color by color, transfer them over, then save.

after you have done this to every single color you need to use another program that has a pallet editor, I use gimp. Load up the new sprite and select the option to modify the colour map on the new pallet. You need to rearrange all of the colors in the index to to match the existing pallets placement. This is probably the hardest part.

Once you have finished, you should actually be able to load the new sprite into ff3 and select the option to use the existing pallet with no ill effects.

Hope that helps. I'd try to like take screenshots or something, but I don't really have any examples to work with.
#5  July 06, 2019, 04:54:44 am
  • Niigasan
I'm having a really hard time understanding this smh sorry yall
#6  July 06, 2019, 02:45:34 pm
  • Was it something I said?
It depends on what you're looking for. For example, the Yamazaki I'm making, I've done one sprite or a couple of them (I've done his Stand for it, for example), add the colors you want via the palette editor, and save it. What I do is take the sprites for the Stand with the palette in the advanced palette editor. Make sure none of the colors will share with any effects, and then press the insert the current palettes in the images button. Choose the sprites you want, thus it will save the palette inside the sprite you choose. Then insert the sprites inside, and they should be good to go.