YesNoOk

How do you make a move Bury a foe like in Smash Bros series, mainly Smash 5? (Read 3351 times)

Started by Mimikyutest77, July 05, 2019, 04:24:11 pm
Share this topic:
How do you make a move Bury a foe like in Smash Bros series, mainly Smash 5?
#1  July 05, 2019, 04:24:11 pm
    • UK
In Smash 5 a lot of moves (Especially Inkling's SideB move, the Roller) can Bury the opponent, sticking him halfway into the ground and making him helpless for a second or two. Then the enemy is launched up a little out of the ground, and allowed to move again. If the buried foe mashes buttons he can escape quicker, but I don't want that "mash to escape quicker" thing in my character since I only want my character's Burying Move to bury the foe for 1.5 seconds.

How do I implement something like this in mugen? An attack that deals damage and Buries the foe for 1.5 seconds if it hits.
Re: How do you make a move Bury a foe like in Smash Bros series, mainly Smash 5?
#2  July 05, 2019, 05:15:12 pm
  • Robotics Engineer
    • USA
    • altoiddealer@gmail.com
Since there is no "masking" in MUGEN (hiding part of a sprite), having half the body stuck out of the ground would have to be something each character would need compatible sprites for, in their own files.

Alternatively, you could include some big blown-out-hole-type graphic layered above the enemy at ground level, but that is not guaranteed to cover up the half of the body that is "below ground".

This is just achieved with an attack that puts the enemy into a custom state.  In the custom state, you change them to whatever anim you want, then selfstate them after 90 ticks.

Re: How do you make a move Bury a foe like in Smash Bros series, mainly Smash 5?
#3  July 05, 2019, 06:00:50 pm
    • UK
Since there is no "masking" in MUGEN (hiding part of a sprite), having half the body stuck out of the ground would have to be something each character would need compatible sprites for, in their own files.

Alternatively, you could include some big blown-out-hole-type graphic layered above the enemy at ground level, but that is not guaranteed to cover up the half of the body that is "below ground".

This is just achieved with an attack that puts the enemy into a custom state.  In the custom state, you change them to whatever anim you want, then selfstate them after 90 ticks.

Sorry, how do custom states work?

And are "buried sprites" included in that "mugen compatibility list" thing?
#4  July 05, 2019, 06:09:02 pm
    • UK
I remember seeing a list of Compatibility States for things like Cursed, some Goku attacks, Mortal Kombat, etc. It made your character compatible with things like Alessi, a shadowbender who makes people younger.
#5  July 05, 2019, 06:22:42 pm
    • crepa.neocities.org
I remember seeing a list of Compatibility States for things like Cursed, some Goku attacks, Mortal Kombat, etc. It made your character compatible with things like Alessi, a shadowbender who makes people younger.

These are examples of custom states. You put your enemy into a state which they interact the way you want them to. The most common use for custom states are Grabs/Throws. The thing you want to achieve would be good in a full game, where all the characters have the sprites needed for the move to work.

Also, try not to double post, edit your previous post instead ;)

Edit: A better explanation of custom states: Instead of having the usual hurt states for a move, you will put the enemy into a state coded in your own character. You will control which animation they should display, which velocity, if they are bound, etc. And after that the enemy will return to their own states. This is done via TargetState sctrl.
Last Edit: July 05, 2019, 06:27:01 pm by DeathScythe
#6  July 05, 2019, 07:09:33 pm
  • Robotics Engineer
    • USA
    • altoiddealer@gmail.com
For an example of a custom state, open up Kung Fu Man and look for his Kung Fu Throw attack.

A custom state is just like any State, except you create it for the other character to use instead of your own.  You put the other character into it by either using the "p2stateno" parameter in a HitDef (attack), or you use the TargetState controller.... which basically does the same thing.  The enemy has to be in a hit state to be identified as a "target"

*Edit*
I see you asking a lot of questions about whether certain things are possible.  There's nothing wrong with that, but if you are serious about creating some content it is highly recommended that you read through these two pages which covers the majority of "What can you do" in MUGEN.  Bookmark them.  Read these from top to bottom a few times.  Search them whenever you have an idea.  These are the 2 most helpful documents in regards to MUGEN coding.
State Controller Reference
Trigger Reference

Last Edit: July 05, 2019, 07:13:35 pm by altoiddealer
#7  July 07, 2019, 12:49:07 am
  • If you’re gonna reach for a star...
  • reach for the lowest one you can.
    • USA
    • network.mugenguild.com/jmorphman