YesNoOk

Death Battle (And sprite fight animations) (Read 18348818 times)

Started by Long John Killer, April 09, 2015, 03:59:16 am
Share this topic:
Re: Death Battle (And sprite fight animations)
#2621  September 03, 2021, 03:27:03 am
  • If you’re gonna reach for a star...
  • reach for the lowest one you can.
    • USA
    • network.mugenguild.com/jmorphman
Idk how durable is Storm?
She's just a normal lady, no enhanced durability or anything like that. Though I guess she channels electricity through herself sometimes, so maybe she's immune to it? Or perhaps just the stuff she summons.

I'm sure at some point in her almost 50 year history there's been some crazy bullshit where she can surround herself with lightning to create a shield or some shit, but that's not like a regular occurrence.

#2622  September 03, 2021, 03:51:25 am
  • Proper order of things is often a mystery to me
    • USA
I wonder now what Death Battle would consider a "peak performance" version of Korra?  Season 1 or season 4?  Season 4 obviously has all her character progression across the series and giant mountain sized transformation and Energy Bending and whatnot, but before the Dark Avatar storyline Korra still had the connection to all previous Avatars at once, just like Aang before her.  I don't recall how strong Raava recovered and if they ever threw in a line at some point about their restarted Avatar lineage was stronger or weaker than the previous one?  Story theme-wise, I actually have to assume end of Season 2 till the end of the series Avatar State Korra would be weaker than where she started from.  Since a lot of the story is Korra having to live with her mistakes and not everything's going to be all right.

We had something similar before with All Might, where his Death Battle appearance wasn't even what shows up in that series at all, just a hypothetical max potential version of All Might that was lost prior to the series starting.
#2623  September 03, 2021, 04:14:32 am
  • Build it, shape it, by my will.
I wonder if Oni will run into a similar issue that Fierce Deity Link had, where the majority of appearances count as non-canon, and the canon stuff is intentionally vague per the game's story.
The difference with Akuma and Link (and to an extent someone like Heihachi and his youth serum) is that Link is the challenger as he is so you focus solely on what he has done throughout his series without resorting to stuff like Fierce Deity, even if some things are debatable idk not a Zelda guy here.  If it was Akuma as he is, then there is no need to bring in Oni as he is a glorified "what-if" and there has yet to be a point where Akuma can morph into Oni at will or by desperation in main canon.

However, the fact that Death Battle will acknowledge Oni as he is from the teaser makes me believe that they are going with everything he has ever done with his involvement in Asura's Wrath being the craziest.  Asura tried and did nothing to pin Oni down and their fight lasted for literal centuries.  Granted, the whole thing is non-canon by itself, but then where else will you point for Oni's strengths?  The very toned down version of Oni from the Udon comics where Gill's powers somehow negated the Satsui No Hadou reverting Akuma to his base strength?

That said, if his opponent has some kind of ability to do this exact maneuver and quell Oni's bloodlust, then he'll be open for a massive counterattack.

I dunno, I wish they just teased Akuma without bringing Oni into this.  Maybe it is all a red herring and Oni will make an appearance in DBX or something.
Last Edit: September 03, 2021, 04:26:29 am by Kirishima
#2624  September 03, 2021, 04:49:03 am
    • USA
If it's either Asura or Kenpachi, be assured neither of them will do any soothing of the beast to Oni.  Whoever Akuma is fighting, I would assume it's not propped up from the get-go to be one he will lose to explicitly because the opponent picked has that counter in tow.

I'm still going with it being Kenpachi because they both need more Bleach characters to show by now and they REALLY need to reanalyze that series' stats.  I know Death Battle isn't a stranger to low-balls but Jesus is putting Ichigo at "Oh, California-ish at his best" destructive range pretty damn low considering the multi-dimension fluff the Spirit Society runs into and the series final boss going all End Of The Universe.  I imagine a mid to high-tier character of the franchise like Kenpachi would fit around Oni's feats in Asura's Wrath.  Probably still lose the stamina battle but hey.
#2625  September 03, 2021, 05:38:24 am
    • Mexico
Come on, I'm pretty sure Akuma, Oni or otherwise, gets rolfstomped by Kenpachi and especially Asura. I will facepalm hard if they take stuff from the Asura's Wrath DLC into account, as that was clearly meant to be some non-canon fun. Akuma is consistently one of the most highballed, wanked characters out there. I guess this is what happens when you're the undisputed best in your own series canon (unless Oro can humble Akuma sometime soon).
#2626  September 03, 2021, 05:49:17 am
    • USA
Huh?  Yeah, that's what I'm saying.  Kenpachi would beat Oni, he just doesn't have fighting forever unlimited stamina.  I even brought up how the Asura's Wrath story with Ryu and Oni effectively boosted the SF cast for no real rhyme or reason other than to even out the playing field.

Hell, same thing with Madara to Aizen I mentioned before, would Akuma even be able to see Kenpachi? 
#2627  September 03, 2021, 06:06:03 am
I will facepalm hard if they take stuff from the Asura's Wrath DLC into account, as that was clearly meant to be some non-canon fun.
Not the first time that the madlads used non-canon stuff to justify a combatant's feats.

If it was just Akuma, eh.  Kenpachi should have no problem.  If it's Oni, then be prepared to see math logic as to why Oni's chi enables him to blitz in space like he's Frieza or something because it's literally all there is unless they pull out some obscure Udon comic to prove he is Shin Akuma with a much angrier face.

Personally I'm happy Ono isn't with Capcom anymore so we don't get anymore nonsense like this or Kage ever again.

That being said, Oni vs Aftermath Liu Kang might be interesting.
Last Edit: September 03, 2021, 06:10:28 am by Kirishima
#2628  September 03, 2021, 06:30:29 am
    • Puerto Rico
    • www.youtube.com/user/Darkflares
Why even use Oni over Akuma?
Oni was just a what if version of Akuma that isn't even canon and his Asura's wrath version got ridiculously boosted to keep up with Asura cause he would have gotten stomped otherwise. Neither one is canon. At least Evil Ryu had a good reason to be used since that one is canon and important to Ryu's lore.

They're just going to use Akuma's feats and then multiply it by something to resemble what Oni can do.
#2629  September 03, 2021, 06:41:59 am
    • USA
Well, I mean, why is straight-forward enough.  It's hype.  Akuma's a 7 out of 10, Oni's an 11.  It's Street Fighter shotos on steroids flashy stuff, it's Capcom's own Rare Akuma.  Animation team probably just wants to have fun making a blue troll shoot fireballs and jetting around.
#2630  September 03, 2021, 06:49:55 am
    • Philippines
    • andypetines@gmail.com
Not the first time that the madlads used non-canon stuff to justify a combatant's feats.

Not related to that Oni match but since you mentioned it I'm now expecting Korra to use blood bending.
sailormoongalaxy said:
I had read on Wikimoon, and I found it grotesque it was so wrong.
#2631  September 04, 2021, 04:07:40 am
    • USA
THAT would be stretching their leniency a bit too far.  Bloodbending is canonically the hardest form of sub-bending in the entire Avatar universe to do, never mind master, and Korra's had it happen to her a bunch of times but its never been something she's attempted to try as far as I can recall.  Unless there is some later season line where they say Katara taught Korra everything she knew, Korra would simply be missing the knowledge how to do it, Avatar State or not.  And she won't be getting it from any past Avatar's knowledge because it was only invented within Aang's frozen lifetime, to say nothing of the whole Dark Avatar storyline having her lose that connection anyways.

I'd say you'd also have the full moon issue, but A) Past Avatar DB episode Zuko vs MHA kid already told us the DB team's stance on solar/lunar cycles in a match; it's assumed these fights always take place on the bender's max potential.  Sozin's Comet or a full moon is in affect then.  But even if not because an Avatar can take advantage of both but both can't be active at the same time then B) Amon and such have already proven the rule from Last Airbender to just be a limitation that could be overcome and you can bloodbend any time.

So long to short is, if there's some line I don't recall where Katara taught Korra all her waterbending techniques (Which they MAY be, seeing Korra wasn't allowed to be taught the other forms until she mastered Waterbending under Katara) then yes, hypothetically Korra could just add that as another insta-kill maneuver.  Which is even more dangerous than the whole "You can no longer breathe" Airbending stuff.  But it's entirely hypothetical because Korra's never done it on screen and it's a black art and moral taboo to ever do it to begin with, something Korra wouldn't ever do even for minor usage, never mind killing with it.  Kinda rides that line of when is DB breaking character for a feat or not.
#2632  September 13, 2021, 10:07:37 pm
  • Was it something I said?
Batman vs Iron Man's out now

And next time:
Spoiler: Next Time (click to see content)
#2633  September 13, 2021, 11:03:14 pm
    • USA
I gotta say, it is frustrating when they outline why the loser wins while trying to defend their choice of victor.

Darkseid = multi-versal scaling to D.C. universe, which is extraordinarily bigger than Marvel's universe.  Celestials = multi-veral but to much smaller plains.  Iron Man = Celestials.  Batman > Darkseid.  I mean, come on guys.

Going for an Ant Man-styled kill on account of it being something Batman would not prepare for as well is also ridiculous.  The concept of whatever WOULD kill Batman would be something he could not prepare for it a sound idea, but Captain Atom is a thing.  I find it very hard to believe Batman would not have a countermeasure for microscopic foes.

Bleh.  Anyways, yeah, next fight, another D.C. vs Dragon Ball episode.  They're both more modernly popular but I never really liked either myself.  The animated movies I've seen don't exactly paint Reverse Flash at his max potential I would assume, but Death Battle's also previously said even Wonder Woman can catch Reverse Flash in his full run even while time is distorted.  If someone at her speed can fight and beat him, someone on Goku Black's level easily can too.  Question is if he can just go back to Goku Black's inception and just kill off weak-as-hell Zamasu?  Does Flash time-travel shenanigans let them access essentially Heaven and higher plains?  Because that's essentially what the Realm of the Kais is, the level above Heaven where the Gods of the Gods reside.
#2634  September 13, 2021, 11:50:41 pm
  • The story begins with who's gonna win
    • USA
Thawne until very recently was unbound from time which means he could freely change anything as long as the Flash still exists and persist through any timeline change that occurs

It also made him impossible to be killed - because he MUST exist he would always exist and because speedsters use strong basic emotions like love as a lightning rod to stay tethered without getting lost in the speed force Thawne uses Barry's hate to restore himself whole in each new instance

Which is why I say until recently because Barry letting go of his hate caused Thawne to completely reset back to square one but I doubt they're gonna care about that

Which all this to say that yes, Thawne can just travel back in time and between realms and vibrate his hand through baby Zamasu and he would have no compunction about doing so

It's not like Zamasu is Barry, he doesn't need him alive
Nevermind, there's nothing I can do
Bet your life there's something killing you
It's a shame we have to die, my dear
No one's getting out of here alive
This time
What a way to go, but have no fear
This time
It's a shame we have to disappear
This time, this time, this time
#2635  September 14, 2021, 12:10:59 am
    • USA
But have they actually gone to a physical realm of an afterlife outside actual death and resurrection?  There's the whole thing with speedster Death and Flash but....that's kinda different.  I know D.C. has at least one basic Christian based one with the clouds and angels and whatnot on account of Lobo and I don't know how they approach real-world religions and afterlifes in D.C. beyond that, being a touchy subject and all.  It's not exactly Spawn saying "Christianity is the most right but there's a SuperGod and a SuperHeaven as well, get over it".  Dragon Ball's is....weird.  It has, what, 4 or 5 different levels of existence that's more like a godly bureaucracy than an afterlife, each new one mostly forgotten about as the new shiny plot point comes around?  There's King Yemma/Snake Road/King Kai's whole place, whatever Hell consists of between Z and Super's changes, the Grand Kais, the Supreme Kais' own universe within each universe, and wherever Zeno resides above all universes.

And I dunno, recent and incomplete or not, that sounds like something they would include.  Did not stop them with Immortal Hulk nor this metahuman thing with Batman.  Also the whole Zamasu plan does require Thawne to even have the foggiest of ideas who Goku Black really is, what Saiyans are, what Kais are, how their afterlife functions, etc.

Unless his time travel powers explicitly let him anchor himself to an individual's timeline of their life and follow them across time and space outside his own individual knowledge, then he's kinda out of luck.  Which hey, maybe he does, I don't follow the character much outside internet memes sure love him.
#2636  September 14, 2021, 12:40:57 am
  • The story begins with who's gonna win
    • USA
Whether you want to call it a different universe, or a realm within the universe it doesn't matter

Flashes can find out where you're from by vibrational frequency and go there by matching it
Nevermind, there's nothing I can do
Bet your life there's something killing you
It's a shame we have to die, my dear
This time
What a way to go, but have no fear
This time
It's a shame we have to disappear
This time, this time, this time
#2637  September 14, 2021, 12:52:11 am
  • If you’re gonna reach for a star...
  • reach for the lowest one you can.
    • USA
    • network.mugenguild.com/jmorphman
I know D.C. has at least one basic Christian based one with the clouds and angels and whatnot on account of Lobo and I don't know how they approach real-world religions and afterlifes in D.C. beyond that, being a touchy subject and all.
In general, dead people go to whatever afterlife they believe in. Generally.

Beyond that, the Abrahamic God is considered the almighty Source of all things and the top dog of all deities, but they very much avoid that stuff in normal DC books. It really only ever gets explored in the Vertigo books that are set in the DC universe, like Hellblazer, Swamp Thing, Sandman, Lucifer, et. al. The regular DC books never delve into that realm beyond the typical mythological pantheons like the Greek gods and others; they also have a bunch of cosmic entities that are partially responsible for the formation of the multiverse like the Monitor, Perpetua, and all that nonsense from Scott Snyder's recent work. It's unclear exactly how all that stuff plays out with regard to to the Vertigo stuff, but presumably those cosmic entities are also mere underlings as well.
#2638  September 14, 2021, 12:57:09 am
    • USA
Whether you want to call it a different universe, or a realm within the universe it doesn't matter

Flashes can find out where you're from by vibrational frequency and go there by matching it
See, now, that's extra weird.  Because what would he pick up?  Zamasu is essentially gone, it's Goku's everything with Zamasu's new mind in there.  Would he pick up Goku's frequency?  Because a lot of help that would do him going back to farmer Goku or even way back to Planet Vegeta.  Would he pick up godly energy?  Because that's similar between all of them, he would just as well end up in front of Grand Kai or Supreme Kai or Zeno for that matter.

It's one of those quirks where rules of applications don't work as intended between two series that really don't work well with one another.  Goku Black wouldn't be vibrating like Zamasu.  Arguably he wouldn't be acting exactly like Goku either because while Black picked up a lot of his muscle memory he applies it in his own different way, but Goku Black essentially is a whole new guy to who Zamasu was before.

Eh.  I guess we'll see how they interpret it.  I'm not the expert.  Hell, I would have preferred Goku Black versus Black Lady, but after their Galaxia episode I'll pass on more Sailor Moon from them.
#2639  September 14, 2021, 01:28:56 am
Dunno much about these two combatants other than the fact they are gonna find a way to shoehorn that silly lightning sword thing from the TV series for Zoom.
#2640  September 14, 2021, 01:48:48 am
  • This is going to be very entertaining.
    • USA
I gotta say, it is frustrating when they outline why the loser wins while trying to defend their choice of victor.

Darkseid = multi-versal scaling to D.C. universe, which is extraordinarily bigger than Marvel's universe.  Celestials = multi-veral but to much smaller plains.  Iron Man = Celestials.  Batman > Darkseid.  I mean, come on guys.

Going for an Ant Man-styled kill on account of it being something Batman would not prepare for as well is also ridiculous.  The concept of whatever WOULD kill Batman would be something he could not prepare for it a sound idea, but Captain Atom is a thing.  I find it very hard to believe Batman would not have a countermeasure for microscopic foes.

Not for nothing my dude, but you'd probably get a lot more out of this show if you could stop hyper-fixating on petty semantics and the fight choreography of the animated segments.

I'm only tangentially familiar with either of the next two characters, but what little I know about the Flash family of characters would indicate that going very fast gives you nigh-omnipotent control over time, space, mass, energy, and reality.  Seems like it'd be an uphill battle for anyone outside of DC's batshittery to stand a chance.