YesNoOk

Road to A full game? (Read 1040 times)

Started by TweaK66, June 27, 2010, 06:10:05 am
Share this topic:
Road to A full game?
#1  June 27, 2010, 06:10:05 am
I'm still kinda new to mugen creation but I do want eventual crank out a full game of some sort.  I'm not looking to make a full game right away though. What I'm asking here is what exactly should I be focusing on fine tuning so that I can create a fullgame. I know coding plays huge part in this but what else, or rather what would you guys recommend I start building on now so that i move on to the bigger things. Right now I'm trying my hand at a screenpack
Re: Road to A full game?
#2  June 27, 2010, 09:25:57 pm
  • An improper mind is a perpetual feast
    • brianjesusdiaz.webs.com
First off, map it out, create an outline of how the game is (story (very important part), stages, characters, etc.). Don't be rehashing or going back to stuff because that will delay it badly.

Second, what type of full game are you inclining towards? An existing one? (Mortal Kombat, Guilty Gear, Marvel vs Capcom)
or something new? (Terrordrome)

Third, build up your skills(programming, spriting, etc.), get a team, rather than staying at a noob level and compilating other contributors work or telling other contributors to program things for you (ridiculous).

Full games is a big step when it comes to creating, especially when your a noob.

P.S. I do not recommend you to do existing ones, since there are many project clones about them, unless your are trying to do a sequel to it (B.C.'s Street Fighter 4 Alpha).

P.S.S. I also recommend you not to start a full game, since characters is something you should try out first.

If I am missing any details, or if you have any questions, ask the adminstrators of this forum.
There are some contributors in this forum that you will have to befriend, since some might get to the disrespect level right away when you ask them certain things.
I'm on a 5000 calorie diet! :D
#3  June 28, 2010, 03:10:51 am
  • +1 to whoever added Godzilla to the main index.
Outline your system(s) and subsystems first and come up with a concept. That is the big first step.
i think we should call it an "engine" so we don't look like total idiots because otherwise we'd be arguing about a "game" and that would be somehow "dumber" than arguing about an "engine" on the "internet" for countless hours

Iced said:
I for one, do not enjoy round corners!  :bigcry:
But they hurt much less when we accidentally hit them!  :S
#4  June 28, 2010, 04:00:12 am
  • Legendary XIII
  • I am the eye of the storm to come!
    • New Zealand
    • network.mugenguild.com/cyanide/
get a team
Don't do this. Seriously. Teams with everyone clamouring for certain characters or features just don't work. Get yourself 1 other person to do stages or the screen pack, do as much as you can by yourself.

In M.U.G.E.N there is no magic button

They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance.
#5  June 28, 2010, 07:51:54 am
@Geographic:I was thinking about expanding on my current screenpack project Capcom vs SNK 2010 which is meant to sorta be my take on the continuation of the franchise. As to for the story, stages and character's I'll take some time and flesh that out on paper. On the team aspect I've run into a few helpful people on another forum that I guess I can ask for help.

@Mirageatoli: Pardon my noobage, but what do you mean by systems and subsystems. I got a feeling that;s something i should start focusing on now.

@ Cyanide: Makes sense to me.

Thanks to all of you guys for giving me some input on this.
#6  June 28, 2010, 10:17:58 pm
    • Hungary
    • seravy.x10.mx/Wordpress
First, start out by making at least 1-2 characters. They can be ones you plan to use in the fullgame later.
If you manage to make them well, you probably know enough about character making to start a fullgame.
Design how you want your game to work, basically the game rules.
stuff like
-What kind of damage dampening you want (none, local for a few comboable moves only, global, global including supers etc)
-What kind of attacks you want to give your characters (physical attacks only, or projectiles, huge beams, blasts, healing etc....you need to make all the characters equally strong, and able to beat each other)
-Do you want anything special that you can't do normally, but can in a fullgame if all opponents are also coded by you and can recognize such effect (poison damage for example, or reversing controls of the opponent, etc)
-Do you want any extra systems or game mechanics, like useable items, cards, parrying, grazing, etc...if yes, you'll need to implement those the same way for all characters.
-Do you want special game modes, other than arcade and basic ones normally available? (If yes, and they are not available in mugen, you might need to wait for a newer version or use some other engine)
#7  June 30, 2010, 05:20:17 am
  • +1 to whoever added Godzilla to the main index.
@Mirageatoli: Pardon my noobage, but what do you mean by systems and subsystems. I got a feeling that;s something i should start focusing on now.

The game mechanics; For the defense system, will you be using, Just defend, Parry, dodge/roll, Toohoo grazing etc.
As for you concept, that is mostly your setting. Fighting games often have themed characters, Asuka 120% had each character representing a school club; Street Fighter had characters from around the world fighting using different fighting styles against a dictator, etc. Not all games have to have themed fighters, but it usually has a plot and characters that drive the plot.

Design how you want your game to work, basically the game rules.

^ This is most important.

I'd start with a checklist of moves you will be using and flesh it out from there. Then each character is given each of his moves with a description in a table.
i think we should call it an "engine" so we don't look like total idiots because otherwise we'd be arguing about a "game" and that would be somehow "dumber" than arguing about an "engine" on the "internet" for countless hours

Iced said:
I for one, do not enjoy round corners!  :bigcry:
But they hurt much less when we accidentally hit them!  :S
Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 05:23:24 am by MirageAtoli
#8  June 30, 2010, 07:33:14 am
  • An improper mind is a perpetual feast
    • brianjesusdiaz.webs.com
get a team
Don't do this. Seriously. Teams with everyone clamouring for certain characters or features just don't work. Get yourself 1 other person to do stages or the screen pack, do as much as you can by yourself.

I agree with you on this, since I remember some projects back in the day that had like 4 or more people working on it, and all of a sudden, it's abandoned.

Sort of explains why MKP5.1 wasn't released.
I'm on a 5000 calorie diet! :D