YesNoOk

Last movie you watched + 2 lines review. (Read 1086039 times)

Started by walt, August 28, 2007, 04:18:56 am
Share this topic:
Re: Last movie you watched + 2 lines review.
#4901  August 24, 2016, 10:22:14 pm
  • Dead and buried.
    • Finland
Yurusarezaru Mono aka the Japanese remake of Unforgiven.

This was interesting since the original is one of my favorite movies. For the most part it follows the original very closely, but there's some changes and tonal differences im not so fond of.

-There was lot more overly dramatic music and emphasized moments, where as the original had a very understated score and was overall more "unglamorized". This movie is still grim and all, but not in the incredibly effective way like the original.
-The original was more funny. Kind of an odd thing since the movies are some heavy either way, but the original just had a punch of good funny (if still dark and quiet dry) moments and they were just kinda missing here. No bottle shooting, no "duck of death" and no tales of big dicked dudes shot in the back. Shame.
-Jubei is a bit bland compared to Munny. This ties to the lack of humor thing, since he does not get to be snarky.
-They made the villain even more of an asshole. While I think the actor did a pretty good job, he's certainly no Gene Hackman.
-So many good lines missing! Like, obviously they could not do them word for word, but some of the best stuff from the original is gone and not really replaced with much of anything.
-The outhouse killing scene and especially the final battle were made longer and overly dramatic. The bluntness and briefness of the original scenes was a big part of why they were as good as they were.

Despite all that, it was still good. Def not as good as the original, but there's enough new stuff to make it interesting and everything from the way it's shot to the performances was very nice. It's a very pretty movie, lot's of really lovely background shots.
"Multiple exclamation marks are a sure sign of a diseased mind."

"Okay, okay. So you put a Nazi on the Moon. Fuck you, Moon."
#4902  August 27, 2016, 02:25:50 am
  • Seize the coveted miracle in the game of death.
Suicide Squad

I thought it was pretty fun, the movie does have its problems (it gets a bit messy later on for instance) but it was alright overall. I think my favorite part of the movie were the characters, they were pretty charismatic, Harley Quinn was my favorite by far and Will Smith as Deadshot was good too. I also can't believe that I liked a Jai Courtney character for once, usually he's a pretty bland actor imo but in this movie he was good as Cap Boomerang.

7.2/10
(DeviantART) - Ignore my username on DA as it was made long before I learned what the fanbase was like...
#4903  September 07, 2016, 04:44:14 pm
    • Philippines
    • andypetines@gmail.com

Train To Busan

A zombie flick with the typical worst case scenarios done the Korean way so it will make you feel almost all range of emotions. But is it your average zombie flick? Nope. Where do you usually see a few zombies doing drama.

Will there be US version? Most likely. It's really good. Just when you think its over there's another plot twist. I'd give it a 10 out of 10. It has somewhat a good ending. Very rare these days.

There's an anime prequel on how it all started. Will try to find and watch that someday.
sailormoongalaxy said:
I had read on Wikimoon, and I found it grotesque it was so wrong.
#4904  September 10, 2016, 07:02:51 am
  • i'm a gay trans lady
  • to hell with this site, find me at mffa or w/e
    • USA
    • Skype - MelvanaInChains
    • www.melv.thedailypos.org/
Bulworth, thanks to my gf

solid political-but-not-obnoxiously political dark comedy. i can't get over the idea of a senator that wants to kill himself by hiring a hitman on himself. also after watching Crash again recently it was refreshing to convey how awful racial injustice is in a way that isn't hackily written

Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
#4905  September 15, 2016, 12:55:09 am
Don't Breathe

The movie is about 3 people who break into a blind man's house in search for his large sum of money.

I freaking loved it, it's so suspenseful and tense... in these regards to me it was like watching Oculus again, but in a non-supernatural setting. Every single scene was so well done, I kept wondering how this blind person is going to be capable of defending himself, and it's not like the main characters were idiots or anything... they legitimately are fearful of how scary this old man is.

I really kinda reminded me of Panic Room in some way or the other for some reason too, which is a good thing I guess.

8/10
(DeviantART) - Ignore my username on DA as it was made long before I learned what the fanbase was like...
#4906  October 22, 2016, 06:03:45 pm
inferno
the plot never really takes off and key action sequences are very confusing and you cant tell what the fuck is happening. it's not completely terrible but i don't recommend it
5/10
#4907  October 22, 2016, 06:40:23 pm
  • Fuck you.
    • Philippines
    • Skype - Markpachi
    • mugenguild.com/forum/topics/-opensource-mps-psds-stages-and-resources-please-put-them-good-use-172321.0.html
The Orphanage

Hispanic setting, produced (?) by Del Toro.

Holy shit, this movie left me broken.

10/10

Rest in peace, Tamez. Thank you for everything.
Last Edit: November 09, 2016, 06:00:41 pm by Markpachi
#4908  October 22, 2016, 07:14:06 pm
  • all is love in fair and war
Jack Reacher 2

seems like a totally different movie than the first, he seems dumber, and fatter.
and I bet half the viewers in the cinema probably guessed the answer faster than Jack on the airport cargo scene.

I watched it for Maria Hill, so it didn't really matter 
#4909  October 24, 2016, 03:52:40 am
Ouija: Origin of Evil

I just got back from this movie, it's a prequel to Ouija (2014) which I heard was pretty damn bad so maybe this one wouldn't be good either right?

But actually... this new film is really great, it's so suspenseful and scary it was amazing, one of the things I loved the most about it was how it didn't seem obvious when a scary moment was going to happen, along with how developed the characters are. The acting was top notch all around too, especially of the two daughters (one of which was in Oculus and she was good in that too), the younger one in particular... man she really sold her role in this movie, there is this one scene where she is talking to someone that legit sent chills down my spine, she was really creepy.

This movie is a huge improvement because of the new director on board: Mike Flanagan, this guy legitimately makes great horror/suspense movies, and this one is no exception... he made Absentia, Oculus and Hush which were all pretty good in terms of direction, he's got real talent for horror and suspense.

8/10
#4910  October 27, 2016, 08:04:04 am
  • Legendary XIII
  • I am the eye of the storm to come!
    • New Zealand
    • network.mugenguild.com/cyanide/
Sausage party

Jesus christ. What the fuck did i just watch. Bath salts are taken during said movie. I'm pretty sure they were on them when they wrote it.

In M.U.G.E.N there is no magic button

They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance.
#4911  October 29, 2016, 02:12:02 pm
  • This is going to be very entertaining.
    • USA
Popstar:  Never Stop Never Stopping

AKA The Lonely Island:  The Movie.  It's a mockumentary about rise and fall of a pop singer who abandoned his old band to chase fortune and fame as a solo act.  On the whole, it's a pretty great movie.  It doesn't veer as far into the surrealist humor that I loved about their last movie, Hot Rod, but it's still funny as hell.  All the songs in the movie are just straight-up Lonely Island songs, but it's always played totally straight like it's not supposed to be funny, so there's a bunch of interviews with Ringo Starr or Usher or Questlove discussing the success and cultural significance of songs with lines like "She wanted to fuck me harder than the US government fucked Bin Laden."

All in all, really good movie.  It's like This is Spinal Tap for the modern age.
#4912  November 08, 2016, 02:02:53 am
Zombeavers

An accident happens that makes beavers turn into zombies, meanwhile a group of college students go to a riverside cottage that really like the idea of sex but the zombie beavers are getting in the way.

Okay that last part is a bit exagerrated but you get the idea, yes this is spoof-horror film... I got to watch it yesterday expecting a "so bad that it's good" type of movie and I got it. I thought it was really fun, it's just so over the top and silly that it's hilarious, the way the beavers are designed in this movie makes it improve those aspects which is great for this kind of film.

Really though, if you genuinely want to watch this flick then turn your brains off and try to enjoy it because you're gonna hate it if you take it seriously... I mean the movie is called Zombeavers, just watch it and have a laugh and maybe show it to friends when you just want to watch something silly.

One other thing I liked about it is that a couple horror character cliches are kinda reversed in this one, dunno if it's intentional or not but it was neat.

7/10
#4913  November 09, 2016, 11:50:48 am
  • Double-Crosser
  • I'm not standing out. This isn't weird at all.
    • USA
Oh so HIFF is in full swing again! Time to do some reviews!

Cinema Angel

This movie is a fictional story based on the closing of the real-world theater, Daikokuza Cinema, in 2014. In this story, it's said that there's a ghost that haunts the theater. There's not really a whole lot of storyline because most of it is just an exploration of how movies specifically affect us as people.

It sounds like it would have the potential to be a great movie, and there are are indeed some very memorable moments in the film. My favorite is when the "angel" is dancing on the rooftop of the theater in the early days, and later when they actually find his possible haunt. Definitely extremely memorable moments that in any other production would probably warrant them as classics up there with, say, Gene Kelly dancing in the rain or Orson Welles saying "Rosebud..."

What holds the movie back is from both a technical and narrative angle. There are some filming errors in terms of scene transitions and timings (hell when we had it screened, the director could only provide a low-resolution AVI file, and yes he was there presenting the movie), but the biggest part is the story. It goes everywhere. The most fascinating aspects are when they actually discuss the characters' backstories and how they see movies, or the few times they try to hunt down the "angel." Shoehorned into that are a recurring dream of a man and his assistant answering any life questions, almost always ending in them laughing at the asker, and some shmuck who learns how to control his dreams so he can write a movie. It just feels cluttered and doesn't go anywhere.

It's really sad because the elements that do work are magical, but it's held back by a bunch of entry-level problems.

6/10

Seoul Station

A homeless man stumbles into a train station in Seoul, Korea with a big-ass bite mark on his neck, bleeding profusely. Meanwhile a girl and her boyfriend are facing getting kicked out of their apartment unless they pay rent, with latter attempting to literally pimp out the former, not to mention the girl's daddy is looking for her. Oh and that homeless dude was carrying a zombie virus! That... that might cause problems.

So Jmorphman was telling me that there was a Korean zombie movie that was getting rave reviews, and if this is it, I can see why. Zombies are pretty much stale at this point, and everything that comes out looks cliche and stupid. I'm happy to report that the zombies in this movie are done right. One thing that really helped is that despite all the potential gore, a lot of it is offscreen. A bigger threat is just the *potential* that bad things might happen. Some of the most scary moments for me weren't when the zombies were charging or eating stuff, but just the wait knowing they were somewhere around the corner, or seeing multiple zombies fling themselves at one character with varying levels of success. It felt more organic and primal than more recent efforts. And hell, even when things are going badly, we get some great humorous moments thrown in there to lighten the mood just when we need it.

And as you might expect from the standard mythology, we have multiple monsters in this movie. The first is how the homeless population is treated almost on the same level as these creatures prior to the outbreak. You see the abuse and revulsion among the Korean population, and you can see them trying to become heroes despite the adversity. The other villains I can't really talk about with going into spoilers, but they are very well done, and it makes me wonder who was the real monster in this movie.

The downsides are mostly nitpicks. The animation framerate is pretty darn low, but combined with the artstyle, it creates this weird uncanny feeling where it feels real but also dangerous, and the artstyle reminds me of Satoshi Kon's works (although not on the same level). And I guess I could've used some more characters outside of a core cast of four characters (with typically only two at a time on screen).

Other than that, it's an excellent zombie movie. If you felt things were getting stale, this should be a nice kick in the pants.

9/10
#4914  November 10, 2016, 12:38:00 am
  • If you’re gonna reach for a star...
  • reach for the lowest one you can.
    • USA
    • network.mugenguild.com/jmorphman
Doctor Strange
It truly is visually stunning, and manages to break out of the very similar, cookie-cutter style that every Marvel movie has had up to now. It's definitely a movie that is worth spending extra to see in IMAX and/or 3D.

... but the script is simply not up to par. The movie has some of the most talented actors working today in its cast, and wastes every single one of them. Character development is practically nonexistent, and none of the characters are very interesting. It's particularly upsetting to see Dr. Strange, one of the most interesting and unique Marvel superheroes, with a really fascinating character arc in his origin story, get turned into basically Iron Man-lite. I'm simply baffled by so many of the choices they made in adapting the comics, things that added very little, but took so much away.

I think a sequel can take the elements introduced in this film and would be able to get them to work by even just slightly tweaking them, but that talk is pretty premature at this point. All in all, this is definitely one of the lesser Marvel movies, and I'm saddened that it wasn't as good as it could've been, because there was so much potential here.

also, Benedict Cumberbatch's American accent is real, real bad. And ultimately kinda pointless, since there's nothing even in the final cut of the movie that requires him to be American?

So Jmorphman was telling me that there was a Korean zombie movie that was getting rave reviews, and if this is it, I can see why.
It turns out I was thinking of Train To Busan (which rgveda99 talks about on this page)! But it turns out that Seoul Station is actually prequel to that one!?!?
#4915  November 10, 2016, 02:02:21 am
  • Target Acquired.
    • Ukraine
    • mugencoder.com
Maybe it's because I never read the original comics, but I really enjoyed the movie and really didn't have much wrong to say about it besides scenes in the hospital which made me uneasy. I think the ending was kind of rushed as I would have liked to see more of Dormammu and his powers.

I thought Benedict's accent was pretty good. I didn't hear many traces of his Brittish accent in there at all. Why was it real, real bad?

-[Все слова это только слова.]-
#4916  November 10, 2016, 02:38:55 am
  • If you’re gonna reach for a star...
  • reach for the lowest one you can.
    • USA
    • network.mugenguild.com/jmorphman
His American accent runs into the same problems a lot of British actors have when doing American accents: it's very rough, coarse, and sounds just slightly unnatural in every word he speaks; like the character is consciously affecting an accent in the movie itself, drawing attention to the whole artificiality of things. Keeping up an accent while also working hard on the actual acting-acting is very, very tough to do, and not everyone can reach the same kinds of heights they can when acting in their native accents as they can when acting in a foreign one.

Of course, this can obviously be flipped around to talk about American actors doing British accents, and so on and so forth. It's a universal problem, and it doesn't reflect badly on any actor who can't pull it off, because not everyone can.
#4917  November 10, 2016, 03:53:04 am
    • Philippines
    • andypetines@gmail.com

So Jmorphman was telling me that there was a Korean zombie movie that was getting rave reviews, and if this is it, I can see why.
It turns out I was thinking of Train To Busan (which rgveda99 talks about on this page)! But it turns out that Seoul Station is actually prequel to that one!?!?

Yup. Seoul Station is a prequel to Train To Busan.

There's another Korean film which I heard it's just as good called Flu. Haven't watch it yet though.
sailormoongalaxy said:
I had read on Wikimoon, and I found it grotesque it was so wrong.
#4918  November 10, 2016, 05:40:03 pm
  • Target Acquired.
    • Ukraine
    • mugencoder.com
His American accent runs into the same problems a lot of British actors have when doing American accents: it's very rough, coarse, and sounds just slightly unnatural in every word he speaks; like the character is consciously affecting an accent in the movie itself, drawing attention to the whole artificiality of things. Keeping up an accent while also working hard on the actual acting-acting is very, very tough to do, and not everyone can reach the same kinds of heights they can when acting in their native accents as they can when acting in a foreign one.

Of course, this can obviously be flipped around to talk about American actors doing British accents, and so on and so forth. It's a universal problem, and it doesn't reflect badly on any actor who can't pull it off, because not everyone can.

Ah I see. I guess I don't have an ear for such things (or maybe just not in this case). Thanks for the explanation!

-[Все слова это только слова.]-
#4919  November 14, 2016, 03:22:10 pm
  • Double-Crosser
  • I'm not standing out. This isn't weird at all.
    • USA
Just came back from HIFF's closing night. I missed reviewing the last movie, so I'll cover that too.

The Red Turtle (Trailer)

A man gets shipwrecked on an island, and is trying to survive and escape. However, a red turtle seems to be sabotaging his efforts to get off the island. That's probably the simplest synopsis I can give without spoiling the movie.

So this is Studio Ghibli's first movie following their restructuring, and it's also their first foreign collaboration. As a result, if you're going in thinking that this is going to be your usual Studio Ghibli fare... it's very different. The first big thing to note is that not a single line of dialogue is spoken. You might gets some grunts and yells but all communication is handled in very interesting ways, which makes it a very universal movie. It kinda makes it personal in that you yourself internalize the story and interpret it on your own. As far as animation quality and score, Studio Ghibli went all out here. I don't think I can recall animation this smooth from them.

If I were to give a downside... well, I guess it's not for everyone. It's definitely a lot more artsy than their previous works, and feels like it's making statements on life and morality rather than telling story. So if you want something more traditional, I'd probably stay away.

That being said, it was a very moving film, and it tells quite a sophisticated story.

8.5/10

Your Name (Trailer)

A teenage boy living in Tokyo and a teenage girl living in the country side have an interesting dilemma: when they go to sleep, their minds switch bodies. As they start realizing what's going on, they start sending messages to each other, and a weird sort of friendship (and possibly love???) blossoms.

So for years now, I've been saying that Makoto Shinkai could very well be the biggest thing since Hayao Miyazaki. Well, I can safely say (ignoring the fact that it's done RIDICULOUSLY well in the Japanese box office) that this has cemented that belief. His style has definitely improved since Children Who Chase Lost Voices, and something about it feels more human than more recent fair. What guy, upon discovering he has breasts, wouldn't try to feel himself up? It feels like a very light-hearted movie, like Freaky Friday but with romance. When the big plot twist comes, it hits with the full force of a freight train, and the emotional impact is heart-wrenching. The film becomes something else entirely different at this point, and becomes all the more touching and memorable.

I can't even think of anything wrong with this movie at the moment. I guess if you want to nitpick, it might be kinda weird to have an OP as if it was an anime serial, but that's really stretching it. If you're able to see this movie, do it.

10/10
#4920  November 26, 2016, 04:49:38 pm
  • This is going to be very entertaining.
    • USA
Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them

Been a while since I've been on the Harry Potter fanwagon, but old habits die hard.  All in all though, this was a really solid movie.  It's a good example of an extended universe done right, where it feels sufficiently grounded in the main franchise while still being unique, without needing to constantly remind you that this is a Harry Potter movie.  Changing the setting from Great Britain to America might seem like a superficial change at first glance, but it really goes a long way in setting a unique tone.  Harry Potter's always necessarily had a pretty heavy British feel to it, so it's really interesting to get to see that same lore and wizarding society filtered through the lens of American culture.

The biggest flaw this movie has is that it tries to do a few too many things at once, likely owing to the fact that WB has already committed to four more sequels and they wanted to get all of their ducks in a row early on.  There's Newt Scamander traveling around collecting creatures for research, Tina trying to get her job as an Auror back, Grindelwald trying to ignite a war between wizards and muggles, a fanatical anti-witchcraft group growing in New York, a newspaper mogul's son trying to use his father's influence to prove that witchcraft is real, and then some.  As a result there's a lot plot threads that are just left dangling until the next movie comes out to pick them up again.  There's a few too many irons in the fire here.

If you like Harry Potter, you'll love this movie.  And if not, Fantastic Beasts is enough of its own thing to be a pretty enjoyable lighthearted fantasy, albeit one that suffers from trying to do much with too little time.

8/10