YesNoOk

lets have a discussion about P.o.t.S. Style  (Read 22222 times)

Started by Memo, August 24, 2016, 06:16:07 am
Share this topic:
Re: lets have a discussion about P.o.t.S. Style
#101  August 24, 2016, 12:28:26 pm
    • USA
I wasn't talking about myself just in general. There were others in there as well that made some slick comments to other users for "no reason" but probably went unnoticed because people only read the last page. Its just idk why, but trust me you know how it is when someone try's to tell you how "you" feel. Same concept. No one here will likely ever agree who knows, but someone always has to push shit. There is always an instigator to take it there. As I'm sure they'll be still.. You have your views on it, as do I and others. We(general) may not agree on some aspects, but If you are having fun with what you do, that's all that matters.
#102  August 24, 2016, 12:32:59 pm
    • Zimbabwe
    • hephaistos1.wix.com/mugen-palace
So this is the first post after Hollydays:
POTS style is awesome.
#103  August 24, 2016, 12:36:49 pm
    • USA
Don't you mean Infinite style? Traitor..
#104  August 24, 2016, 12:38:34 pm
  • Double-Crosser
  • I'm not standing out. This isn't weird at all.
    • USA
Why help create that vibe? You only help to build up that negativity.
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
Exactly where did the fun go. Shit always has to get to the sessions. And it's always the same people.. The ones that hold that disdain for whatever reason smh
Actually apologizing for trying to start shit with people for no good reason would probably be better than this "holier than thou" crap you're pulling right now.

Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
#105  August 24, 2016, 12:45:51 pm
    • USA
You are reading too much into it. You usually do a better jump at averting stuff like this. Who started with the negative comments though? Exactly, but you justify it because you didn't agree with what "I" said? As I said someone always has to be trying to do something. Always way more looked into that what it really is. Like I said actually go & read. You are saying that then someone else is waiting to come in and support that claim solving nothing. Pointless even saying anything.. Conform it however you like bruh. Autocorrect!!! Oh well
Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 12:49:24 pm by ReixSeiryu
#106  August 24, 2016, 01:05:14 pm
    • Zimbabwe
    • hephaistos1.wix.com/mugen-palace
Ah ah ah ah ah! :D
You made my day, I'm laughing IRL! :)
You are right, Rei!!!
#107  August 24, 2016, 01:14:27 pm
People should not go off like that and calling people names for no reason. Signs of a small mind I guess.
Also some of you guys act high and mighty no one mentioned SFEX shows your fighter knowledge.
Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 01:18:38 pm by PeXXeR
#108  August 24, 2016, 01:21:09 pm
Everytime pots style is mentioned in a topic I feel like peeps get in and start debating and arguing over shit.
First thing that bothers people is just the words "pots style" I consider anything that shares the gameplay mechanics
He put together in a char as "pots style" since it includes all the mechanics he has in HIS what's his name? Oh pots! Characters.
Alot of you beg to differ and say oh that's not pots style, well why isn't it? I know he went the extra mile for accuracy and
What not but lets be realistic we are not all as savy as him nor have all the resources he had or maybe dont know how to use
Them. Come in and share you opinions about the gameplay style pots created get it off your chest and lets end these constant
Arguments and shit, if your soft and your feelings get broke easy this isn't the topic for you just come on in
And get that shit off your chest! Let us know what you like, what dont you like, why you feel like you do let all out!
I find the level three super portrait is weird at time, I do not know how to explain this, but it feels odd to me whenever the character perform the level 3 super and suddenly a bright orange portrait shows up  :P I actually prefer the level three super effect to be similar like the level 1 (blue) and level 2 (purple)'s super effect, much like Lost_Avenger's characters: http://trinitymugen.net/Hosted/CFJ2/. I would actually prefer all original Capcom vs. SNK's cast to have pots style as it brings a whole new level of the original Capcom vs. SNK and Capcom vs. SNK 2 as remastered version.

when will this personal crises ends? it just won't stop!
#109  August 24, 2016, 01:48:48 pm
  • Estoy siempre listo para un desafío.
    • Puerto Rico
    • im41784@yahoo.com
Everytime pots style is mentioned in a topic I feel like peeps get in and start debating and arguing over shit.
First thing that bothers people is just the words "pots style" I consider anything that shares the gameplay mechanics
He put together in a char as "pots style" since it includes all the mechanics he has in HIS what's his name? Oh pots! Characters.
Alot of you beg to differ and say oh that's not pots style, well why isn't it? I know he went the extra mile for accuracy and
What not but lets be realistic we are not all as savy as him nor have all the resources he had or maybe dont know how to use
Them. Come in and share you opinions about the gameplay style pots created get it off your chest and lets end these constant
Arguments and shit, if your soft and your feelings get broke easy this isn't the topic for you just come on in
And get that shit off your chest! Let us know what you like, what dont you like, why you feel like you do let all out!
I find the level three super portrait is weird at time, I do not know how to explain this, but it feels odd to me whenever the character perform the level 3 super and suddenly a bright orange portrait shows up  :P I actually prefer the level three super effect to be similar like the level 1 (blue) and level 2 (purple)'s super effect, much like Lost_Avenger's characters: http://trinitymugen.net/Hosted/CFJ2/. I would actually prefer all original Capcom vs. SNK's cast to have pots style as it brings a whole new level of the original Capcom vs. SNK and Capcom vs. SNK 2 as remastered version.

I feel the same way too, for my game I have the supers like that, I dont really like the big orange portraits, I'm keeping it simple like I like it like SFA and even yatagarasu where the background just dims a little bit.
#110  August 24, 2016, 03:23:40 pm
  • SNK is life
I guess people feel attracted to "POTS Style" characters because it opens the door for NEW STUFF.

Let's face it, CVS has been so dead (2D in general) that the only way to season these old resources and make them feel fresh is adding stuff like new artworks in high resolutions, in a presentation that looks fresh.

It's not rocket science, I'll admit CVS style is the best sprites have looked, and also very accessible for people to jump in to make their own characters. It looks anime-ish, it doesn't use colors in a complicated way, proportions are standard for the most part... it's just easy to get behind, and it looks good.

It's popular because it's flexible, accessible and it can look fresh.
#111  August 24, 2016, 03:48:47 pm
CvS2 looks stylish, SFA sprites notwithstanding. It combines the strengths of Capcom's and SNK's signature look and mechanics. Pots was just the one who opened the floodgate to customize it. I honestly don't think it would've mattered his characters were great, as long as they weren't abhorrent garbage. Which they're not of course.

Everyone in a uniform system sounds cool. But CvS remix isn't my thing, I prefer the evil 3D sidesteppers and annie-may. Which includes Marvel.

Competitive CvS2: just pick C-Groove Sagat. Why go through painting the fence or sho-sho-ing with Sakura when you can just do the basic fireball-dp strategy with someone who's easymode? Not like you'll be playing an RCer or anything. You don't even need any other character if you're good enough at it, just don't pick S or P groove. Or play King. :(

No one mentioned EX because EX isn't CvS2 remix. Nor is it a sprite game. It also doesn't have Zangief being stupid as shit. And Chun's infinite. EX2+ was better but Excel (custom combo) was real strong. Questioning people's fighting game aptitude is an easy way to trigger a response.

you are a master at rock-paper-scissors and you always throw out a gesture that's simultaneously paper and rock.

That analogy reminds me of an obscene gesture used here for some reason,  ::)

heh
Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 04:00:58 pm by Niitris
#112  August 24, 2016, 04:30:45 pm
  • Limited time to use Infinite power !
    • France
    • network.mugenguild.com/cybaster/
To go back into discussion, many people say "POTS style" when they see :
- CVS2 sprites (or similar),
- High-Res FX with HR portraits as used by POTS,
- The gameplay mechanics included by POTS (parry, roll, power charge, EX moves, zero counter, etc.)
- 6 button character with Capcom-like feeling.

The thing is that POTS went much further than this for his characters : he actually studied the different games where the character appeared, he included all of the moves the character ever performed into a single character (using various modes at times to do so), he extracted data (hittimes, hitpauses, damage, etc.) from the games, the combos from the games work, etc.

Most people don't realise this and just think that using one of his characters as template, they can get the same style. It's not the case if they don't study the games of origin first. If you're just guessing the way the moves should act, create new combos that never worked in any game, or put random values for damage, hitpauses, etc. there's no problem with that, but it's not POTS-style.

Vyn's and Infinite's characters share the same attributes listed at the beginning of the post, but they're in no way POTS-style, and wouldn't call it that.

Same goes for any other style, in fact. If you call a character CVS2 style but are just using the sprites, FX and movelist but are guessing all the rest, it's not CVS2 style. If you're mixing mechanics from KOF98UM, KOF2000 and KOF13 into a single character, you can't call it KOF94 style. KOF Remix style, or whatever, but not KOF94 style.
#113  August 24, 2016, 05:12:30 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
#114  August 24, 2016, 05:32:09 pm
    • www.justnopoint.com/
Still kinda hard to find it all though. But I'm slowly trying to help resolve this. I need to get to work on the mechanics portions of Mugen class again. But have been spending most of my free time trying to get a new character ready for the next HDBZ release deadline.
#115  August 24, 2016, 05:34:13 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
#116  August 24, 2016, 05:35:33 pm
    • www.justnopoint.com/
Indeed. Now you have to search hard. Back then there was nothing available at all to find so even that wouldn't have helped you.
#117  August 24, 2016, 05:36:13 pm
  • SNK is life
Most people don't realise this and just think that using one of his characters as template, they can get the same style. It's not the case if they don't study the games of origin first.
No need to get so purist :P

One thing MUGEN has never had is consistence. POTS Style offers flashy consistent visuals, easy for people to get behind.

You're not describing how to make a POTS styled character, you basically described who POTS was and what he did to get his inspiration. People can get their own inspiration from their own places.

The only thing we can all agree on is "make the best possible incarnation of the character, add more stuff (preferably canon) to make it more complete", which is basically using MUGEN's flexibility to make cool shit.
#118  August 24, 2016, 06:15:26 pm
  • Double-Crosser
  • I'm not standing out. This isn't weird at all.
    • USA
You are reading too much into it. You usually do a better jump at averting stuff like this. Who started with the negative comments though? Exactly, but you justify it because you didn't agree with what "I" said? As I said someone always has to be trying to do something. Always way more looked into that what it really is. Like I said actually go & read. You are saying that then someone else is waiting to come in and support that claim solving nothing. Pointless even saying anything.. Conform it however you like bruh. Autocorrect!!! Oh well
I just reread all your posts and YOU'RE the one trying to tell everyone how awesome you are at CvS2 and trying to challenge people to money matches via emulator. Stop acting like the victim here and take responsibility for your posts.
#119  August 24, 2016, 06:28:06 pm
    • www.justnopoint.com/
I figure his logic is that he is a good judge of cvs2 related creations due to how much time he has spent playing the game.

However lots of playing and being good doesn't necessarily mean one knows how to break down the mechanics properly and understand how they change the game in large and small ways.

Alternatively knowing how to break down the game and mechanics doesn't necessarily mean one is a good player or spent much time.

So yeah, mentioning it once are twice can get the point across without having to try and prove anything.

DW

#120  August 24, 2016, 07:20:41 pm
    • USA
    • www.trinitymugen.net
I main Rock, Ken, and Sagat in CvS2. C or N groove works fine for any of them, though I usually go with N. K Groove is that Sagat secret weapon. :ninja: Ken can be swapped out depending on how I'm feeling, with either Ryu or Akuma. Though Akuma's low health is a problem. I would like to use Geese, but I can't for the life of me, EVER pull out R.Storm when I want to... So, I leave him alone in a serious competition. Others I like to use are Kim, Joe, Athena, Mai, Ryo, Todo, Raiden, Kyosuke, Iori, Kyo, Chun-Li(kinda)... TBH, I'm not too fond of Chun-Li in that game. She feels very nerfed and plain, with only like two specials.

I didn't realize King was so low tier... :( Never saw a tier list prior to this thread honestly. Sagat is like top tier in every game he's in though lol. That's not much of a surprise. I guess if you can work some A groove magic, Sakura might be pro, but I don't like her. I like her in the EX series though. A and P grooves are the grooves I stay away from. S Groove I may use every once in awhile, along with K. C and N are really the way to go for me though. N groove best groove bruh. Come at me bro. 8)