YesNoOk

M.E.P.P - 2D Indie Fighting Game (Read 10519 times)

Started by BC, July 02, 2016, 05:46:22 pm
Share this topic:

BC

M.E.P.P - 2D Indie Fighting Game
#1  July 02, 2016, 05:46:22 pm
    • UK

Game Info:
MEPP is a 2D indie fighting game designed for the PC and developed by - A.T.P.
The game was originally being developed using the Mugen Engine but due to limitations we decided to make it our own!

Team info:
A.T.P - Across the Pond is a group of small indie developers that got to know each other mainly through various fighting games played together over the years and a large part of that was through experiencing Mugen.

Gameplay Features:
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

Story: (placeholder)

A special breed of skilled fighters get invited to a tournament by a demonic entity posing as a witch named Isabeau, who is hungry for power and will stop at nothing to get what she wants - the ultimate manipulator who holds a powerful energy force inside in a crystal fixed into her staff. She promises the winner a shot at claiming her most prized possession (her staff) which holds that power, and advises them that should they be victorious to proceed with caution as the force is so powerful it may consume them. Her real motive however is to trap them and take them prisoner in her realm and find a way to extract their power into her crystal to become the ultimate force and ruler of all realms.

Game Modes:
Story Mode - In depth story mode with cut scenes.
Vs Mode - Play against a friend
Net play - Online play with spectator ability and lobby creation
Survival - Continous play of 1 round cycling through each character until life is eventually depleted.
challenge mode - Combo Trials - a good way to learn characters play styles
Training mode - In depth training mode to improve your skill. Training mode offers full control of the dummy and certain scenarios as well as AI.

Additional Features:
- The ability to play custom music in training mode from a dedicated folder
- trophie acheivment system
- DLC
- to be considered....

Characters: (List may change)
From left to right referencing the image above: Isabeau (non-playable), Vico, Ocean, Echo, Ramirez, Scott, Sol Blazer, Prototype, Aqua.

The character bio's and stories are currently under development..

A few notes:
- The games resolution isn't fully decided yet.
- All sound effects music and graphics will be original
- The game is very early alpha.
- The crazy game name is more of a joke between the team members, but it kind of stuck! debating on a daily basis over new names we decided to keep it as "MEPP" - so I said "Well it's not being developed for Mugen anymore so the name wouldn't make sense, what else would it stand for?!" and here we are lol

Here is a short video on progress made so far using the character Sol Blazer on the new engine:

Here's some old Mugen progress videos of the game too:
Highlight Reel Combo - Aqua:

Aqua Super Move Update:

Axel and Sol Blazer gameplay

Any help/volunteers that can be provided for this project would be greatly appreciated! we require some help in the art/spriting department and music. PM me if you are interested! Thanks Guys - here to answer questions too :)
Accepting commissions

BC

Re: M.E.P.P - 2D Indie Fighting Game
#2  July 03, 2016, 01:04:55 pm
    • UK
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated  ;)
Accepting commissions
#3  July 03, 2016, 01:10:04 pm
  • play more SNK games
  • I FUCKING LOVE PLATINUM!
    • South Africa
    • www.trinitymugen.net/
What engine are you using now?

BC

#4  July 03, 2016, 01:15:42 pm
    • UK
A new engine made from scratch using GML (GameMaker Language). It's actually a very flexible and able language.
Accepting commissions

BC

#5  July 05, 2016, 04:52:40 pm
    • UK
A new addition to the game - RITA. Here's her concept design and game sprite. Her play style will have a lot of "suprise you while you're sleeping" and various offensive mix ups :)

Her current story is in development. We have quite a lot of art for the game so if you would like to see some more we can post it.

Concept version (unfinished)

Sprite Version
Accepting commissions
#6  July 06, 2016, 06:40:29 pm
    • USA
    • Skype - Uche1234@hotmail.com
Her fighting stance is reminiscent to Karin Kanzuki's.
#7  July 06, 2016, 07:04:41 pm
  • stillRetired.
  • Formerly Known As Genesis
    • USA
    • www.mediafire.com/folder/7j1slkpa7lm0w/Public_Works
Oh nice, this project didn't die. is ATP all the old guys?

Also thats cool that you guys are using Game Maker. I couldn't figure that crap out for the life of me.

Best of luck!

BC

#8  July 07, 2016, 10:47:21 am
    • UK
Nah some of them are long gone Dimitri - we still got solblazer Scott, wii, aquaxrano on the team though but a few new guys have hopped aboard too.

GameMaker has a beginner's drag and drop system! I don't think we would achieve the same results though lol

Uche - that was definitely the inspiration.

Progress wise we have been working on Vico he has all basics specials and a super. I'll post a video once things are ironed out a little.
Accepting commissions
Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 10:52:42 am by BC
#9  July 07, 2016, 05:50:31 pm
    • USA
    • Skype - Uche1234@hotmail.com
Please, and thank you.
#10  July 13, 2016, 09:46:04 pm
    • USA
    • dhochoy09@gmail.com
    • dhgallery.weebly.com/
Interesting... would like to know what more is in store.

BC

#11  July 17, 2016, 09:37:36 pm
    • UK
Thanks for your interest,
Plenty going on behind the scenes, we are just ironing a few things out before posting more stuff.

Currently working on Vico right now.
one of the guys is working on the menus (screenpack if you like).

There may be a possible change to the line up shown in the pic on first post.
Still hoping to get more spriters on board :)

The engine itself is pretty much done in terms of the base, just a few system things to implement like dizzy and highlight reel.
We are thinking later on of adding a replay gallery to watch back old fights.

More to come!
Accepting commissions

BC

#12  July 26, 2016, 06:28:44 pm
    • UK
Ok so I have a little "cock up"  to report:

We are currently working on the Networking side of things, unfortunately we progressed with the game without networking just to get the system mechanics down but turns out if we are to implement it we would need to re-write portions of the game.

So the good news is setting up another project with networking was a success but the long process we (i) face now is adding in code to work with the networking from the previous source code.

It's taking a few steps back but it's the right way in order to move forward. It's actually quite exciting because once we have a strong base we are looking to implement things like lobbies/spectating - things you would see in the fighting games of today.

I understand this project must look a little sour and lack content but I assure you guys it will be one to watch :)
Also once all of this headache has been resolved the goal is to release a demo version with 2 playable characters that can be played online!

The only other "video" progress I have is a very alpha version of Vico please note that lots of his animations are rough and many of them need re-doing and speeding up, also you may see some unfinished moves and miss aligned FX. But I just wanted you to see the kind of character he will be.

Also you can see the lifebars only work on a few moves they are also in progress.

One more thing is we have myself and another programmer working on this and our styles are completely different so some moves may look good and some may look unfinished that's most likely because they are lol - we will iron eveything out in due time.

https://youtu.be/VriMqcu261o

Accepting commissions

BC

Re: M.E.P.P - Kyra update
#13  September 09, 2016, 12:07:17 am
    • UK
Hey Guys,

So after some organization and some team member switching I have more progress and an update of a new character called Kyra.

video progress update:

Note - lifebars aren't finished yet they are still in progress but we halted on them to finish more priority stuff.

She has all movement, get hits, basic attacks and a special move "plasma shot".

Story on her will come later - in brief, she is infected by the same "alien virus" as Vico.

Overall the game is progressing steadily, we will be looking into more detail on the combo system next, currently in the video shown there is no combo system it's just persistent juggling as we don't have our combo system in place yet. The old combo system will be scrapped and we are looking at our own unique system inspired by various source games such as Killer Instinct and MVC to name a couple. That doesn't however mean it's a mix of the two or they will emulate those games but certain ideas are borrowed and altered to make it our own.

Enjoy! open to questions as always.

Accepting commissions