YesNoOk

The Nintendo News Thread (Read 1516388 times)

Started by "Bad News" Hoffmann, June 07, 2011, 09:14:28 pm
Share this topic:
Re: The Nintendo News Thread
#4961  September 03, 2020, 06:34:06 pm
  • KFC
  • it's finger licking good
    • USA
we did it boys, 64, sunshine and galaxy is here.
#4962  September 08, 2020, 04:16:30 pm
    • Argentina
:o :o :o
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
#4963  September 08, 2020, 05:50:35 pm
OH MY FUCKING GOD
that's a lot of twists. I assumed HW was a one-on-one deal but it looks like Nintendo liked it enough. I expected any possible sequel to go the usual Warriors route that just keeps adding more and more stuff, but they just went ahead and started over for something new. That gives entirely new prospects for both franchises. Like... pre-Skyward Sword war with the very first Goddess' hero ? Hyrulean civil war just before OoT with the Gerudos ? Pre-flood war with no hero ? All the failed wars, just like this age of calamity.
Expecting to not see anyone from the last game, and then also expecting them (at least a few) to show up as DLC, then.
At least it won't be "Link and his bitches" (at least not at first).
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
Last Edit: September 08, 2020, 05:53:39 pm by Byakko
#4964  September 08, 2020, 06:18:52 pm
  • I am hilarious
  • and you will quote everything I say
    • USA
Honestly, another HW seems like a probable thing since Nintendo released the original game 3 times in like 5-6 years.

but I didn't expect it.

EDIT: oh damn, I called it a sequel. :oops:
Last Edit: September 08, 2020, 09:24:32 pm by Orochi Gill
#4965  September 08, 2020, 06:40:08 pm
I forget her name, but the chick who turned herself back into a kid in BotW ? edit - Purah. I'm gonna guess that's her we see from behind as an adult kneeling next to Link behind Zelda, when they're in a big room with the king on a balcony. Sure it could be a young Impa, but I'll assume it's her and guess she'll be playable with a set of ancient tech and they'll try to cram anyone who does anything with a tool. Time to hit the wiki for a guess list (Robbie, Impa, any Yiga / Koga, Kass's master etc.)
... The fuck is that mini white jar-like guardian with a blue eye in the title art ? Playable mini guardian already ?

the standalone trailer on youtube adds at the end that there will be more news in 3 weeks (next update September 26).
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
Last Edit: September 08, 2020, 07:12:52 pm by Byakko

lui

#4966  September 08, 2020, 06:57:18 pm
    • USA
Holy goddamn shit

The latest Musou games (One Piece Musou 4, Warriors Orochi 4, Persona Musou) have been insanely fun due to their increased emphasis on movement and chaotic action so I am extremely hyped for this since they're gonna apply all the lessons they've learned over the years into this game

which uses the buttery smooth BOTW engine

is canon

and lets me play as Mipha

fuck yes.
#4967  September 08, 2020, 07:38:43 pm
  • The Lord of Vampire
  • Member of the Reign of Kreation
    • Brazil
    • guiaugusto20@hotmail.com
    • Skype - guiaugusto20
Wait, a new Hyrule Warriors!? OMFG, that's awesome!! :D
#4968  September 08, 2020, 09:51:47 pm
  • Character Not Unlocked ~
    • Norway
    • Skype - crap-zapper
Time to find out how the Champions died.  :megusta:
Previously known as;
Mugen-Ninja 2011-2014.
The Street Fighter 2014-2021.
#4969  September 08, 2020, 10:22:48 pm
  • Are you ready?
    • USA
alright i get to play as revali and the other 3 champions, it's a prequel to breath of the wild
#4970  September 08, 2020, 11:57:27 pm
  • This is going to be very entertaining.
    • USA
Well that certainly came out of nowhere.  More Hyrule Warriors is most certainly welcome.  I do have to wonder about the roster though;  If it's exclusively staying in the BotW timeline, but set as a prequel, then there aren't a ton of characters from that game that were alive in this timeframe.  Impa and Purah are the only major ones I can think of.  Sidon was but I think he was just a little kid at that time.  Maybe Hestu?
#4971  September 09, 2020, 12:27:40 am
We know Impa, Purah and Robbie can probably make it in. Hestu is rather likely as a comedy character too. Next, there's that mini white guardian on the artwork, definitely playable. Next, I don't think we know how old Koga is but it'd be a shame if there's no playable Yiga boss. After that, we know Kass had a teacher who had a crush on Zelda, and Musou has used musical warriors before (edit - oh, he was a poet but also a Sheikah). And then the king has a tiny chance to make it in too, and also the final DLC monk mayyyyybe. That's 14, 15 tops if we throw in everyone and the kitchen sink. If Koei throws in their OC, the witch of time (Lana/Cia after fusing back) and Linkle, we're about the same as the original HW roster, right ? And that's not even counting any original bad guy and others that they can throw in the story. Surely there can be some boss bad guys that the champions killed during the war.
Last Edit: September 09, 2020, 01:07:21 am by Byakko
#4972  September 09, 2020, 01:02:50 am
  • Hug Pikachus!
    • USA
Holy smokes. Did not see this coming. A Hyrule Warriors game that actually add to the lore of the franchise in a big way? Yes please!

Although, it will be said to see beloved characters die...
Hug the Pikachus!

Hug A Pikachu Today!
#4973  September 09, 2020, 01:09:45 am
  • Proper order of things is often a mystery to me
    • USA
....But I liked playing as Midna last game.

Well...I'm getting it, so little point in complaining about it, but the Warriors gameplay didn't click with me 20-whatever years ago when I first tried it, it didn't hold my attention with Hyrule Warriors and I'm guessing it'll be just as mediocre here.  What kept Hyrule Warriors interesting 100% was the Zelda lore fanservice, geeking out over Fierce Deity Link going all Plan B on the falling moon and just cutting it in half was exceedingly more fun witnessing it happen at all the first time over doing it another 50 to 100 more times on the same level.

But hey, this seems to directly address Breath of the Wild's core issue (Well, besides your stance on item durability.  God, if THAT'S in this Warrior's Game, I don't know if I can handle it) with there being 90% world-building and 10% story to tell with this world.  Personal world interpretation is wonderful and all, Metroid is my favorite series of pretty much any and everything, but following the chain of 3D Zelda titles every since Ocarina of Time, really, as a story this didn't just fall flat on its face, it faceplanted into the ground and stayed there.

As an aside, is my memory faulty or if I recall correctly, Link was romantically involved with Mipha in pre-BotW time?  Was that an established thing or just a fan theory/interpretation?  Remember that flashback in her area was rather odd to throw into the whole mix; Link often doesn't have a love life due to his duty and/or is a child in various interpretations.  If that was a thing and I'm not just losing it, would be an interesting dynamic to cover during this new game.
Last Edit: September 09, 2020, 01:19:04 am by Long John Killer
#4974  September 09, 2020, 01:20:25 am
Mipha definitely saw Link as a potential husband (the Zora tunic that she made herself is supposed to be for someone she wants to marry, according to what the other Zoras say about Zora tradition - and she specifically made it to fit Link). I don't recall if Link actually shows any specific feeling for her in that way but it's a fact that they were childhood friends and very close, at the very least.
But after that, the connection between Link and Zelda is definitely WAY stronger and more personal than in any previous Zelda game (beside Skyward Sword), there's definitely feelings there.
Last Edit: September 09, 2020, 01:28:38 am by Byakko
#4975  September 09, 2020, 01:34:17 am
    • USA
Hm.  Maybe I'll need to re-play BotW or read up on it.  I don't particularly recall romantic feelings between Link and Zelda this game.  Link's role is kinda no more than Twilight Princess Link doing his ordained-on-high job.  Guy's doing his bodyguard duty, Zelda's a naïve dolt that means well but her pacifist nature clashes with reality.  I mean, she breaks down when, you know, everyone's freaking DEAD but I dunno, I never interpreted anything romantic between them when I played?  Or at least it'd be one-sided because Link is a player avatar so you're not getting an exceptional lot out of him.

There being so little to draw from cutscene-wise doesn't help either.  But eh, if they want to go that route fine, it's whatever I guess.
#4976  September 09, 2020, 01:44:18 am
The massive shift in how Zelda perceives Link, between the memory cutscenes and her diary, at least shows that she is moving toward having feelings for him - even before the calamity. It's implied that they spend quite a lot of time together, but we don't know how long Link acts as her bodyguard for, and they definitely grow close. And then in the final scene, Zelda wants to restore the kingdom and the royal line, and between Link pretty much being the only dude alive, and the overall vibe between them in that cutscene, it's a lot more heavy-handed than the other games (but still only implied and not explicitly said). Well, we'll know for sure in BotW2 if they've done anything.
OoT they become friends as children (but then Link leaves for Termina) and don't do anything as adults, TP Link has next to no connection to Zelda and only looks at Midna, Minish Cap I think they're friends but then nothing happens at all between then, and so on. The two of them actually having any relationship, or even any interaction for more than 2 minutes, at all past Skyward Sword is already a big change (beside that Link's Adventure ending).
Last Edit: September 09, 2020, 02:09:58 am by Byakko
#4977  September 09, 2020, 01:59:14 am
    • USA
Sure, we'll find out if there's anything more to this in BotW2.  Just going by memory for things as is, Link supposedly had an established relationship with one member of the group already, who....kinda sticks around as a ghost?  So I guess Mipha will be the Aerith to Link and Zelda's Cloud and Tifa going forward then.  And I guess expect clashing emotions between Link, Zelda and Mipha at some point in this HW pre-sequel thing for some drama.
#4978  September 09, 2020, 02:03:50 am
  • This is going to be very entertaining.
    • USA
Speaking of BotW2, there's that dehydrated Ganondorf from the trailer.  Wouldn't be out of the question to see him in his pre-beef jerky days show up in a prequel.
#4979  September 09, 2020, 02:11:36 am
I don't think we'll see any rivalry or jealousy between Mipha and Zelda in AoC because neither of them seems the type for that, Mipha even seems to know there's a chance Link will go away (though she was about to confess in BotW but was interrupted, I think ?), but when Mipha dies, we'll definitely get a scene with a distraught Link and Zelda trying to comfort him.

Ganondorf has been sealed for probably over 10 000 years, I don't expect to see him move around in that form. Just regular HW1 Ganondorf as an expansion.
#4980  September 09, 2020, 11:59:14 am
  • ???
    • UK
    • Skype - koopakootmugen
This was a pleasant surprise. I'm very interested to see what happens. I hope we can see younger versions of Impa, Robbie Purah and maybe even Kohga