YesNoOk

Evil Dan - Current Version: 5.2 (Read 12418 times)

Started by Nocturnis, September 11, 2022, 12:39:10 am
Share this topic:
Evil Dan - Current Version: 5.2
New #1  September 11, 2022, 12:39:10 am
  • I dress like your Great Great Grandfather.

Evil Dan Version 5.2.

July 26th, 2023 : Update released. I'm sure there's still broken things and things that need adjusting. Let me know what they are and I'll add them to the list.

July 20th, 2023: Still working on update, but it's going to take longer. The new changes/updates broke the old AI. New one is coming along and doesn't cheat so far.

Sept 24th, 2022: Update released! Nearly everything PotS spotted was addressed. Hopefully it's a lot less buggy now. Happy weekend!

Here's an early release! (Mugen 1.0) - Screenshots and Video to come later. I'm lazy.

I'm happy with the state of the character right now, and while there's still a good handful of things that are unfinished and still aren't done it is very much NOT a Beta anymore.

Evil Dan Version 5.2
Download

Evil Dan is a sort of hybrid fighter that can fit into an MvC, CvS, or Custom roster without seeming too out of place.

The Scroll System

Evil Dan is a bit more interactive than the usual shoto fighter. Because Dan never completed his Shotokan training, he cannot utilize some of the hidden/forbidden (Ansatsuken) abilities as well. He must instead store the power in order to use his Level 3 only abilities (e.g. Shun Goku Satsu). In order to store the power, he utilizes the Ten Kanji.

During 2 of his standard Taunts, you can press any Punch to cause the kanji to appear. This is stored on a scroll icon on the upper playerside portion of the screen. Using any Level 3 consumes the Kanji Scroll. If Dan tries to use a level 3 without a Kanji Scroll, he loses 1000 power, gets hurt and is in a winded state - leaving him wide open for attack.

The other scroll is the Flash Variant scroll. Dan may not have finished his training under Gouken, but he is constantly evolving his Saikyo techniques. During 3 of Dan's Taunts, the player can summon forth his Saikyo Spirit and gain one Flash Variant Scroll charge by pressing kick. This allows Dan to use a Flash Variant at will. Using a Flash Variant Scroll will consume ALL charges.

Kanji Scroll can be charged 1 time.
Flash Variant Scroll can be charged 3 times.

If all charges are stored and the scroll is complete, Dan can use the Flash Variant Shun Goku Satsu, or the Legendary Taunt.

This should encourage the player to do what Dan does best during gameplay: Taunt!

Saikyo Mode

Saikyo Mode is a secret mode enabled by a button combination at a specific time. What happens during Saikyo mode? Dan's Saikyo Spirit begins to take back control of his body and enables him to use Flash Variant Koryuken with impunity. He also receives a 25% heal. It's not easy to enable this mode during gameplay, but if the player is skilled and sets it up accordingly, it's ultra powerful.

Palette Selections
A: Magenta
B: Red
C: Cream
X: Grey
Y: Blue
Z: Black
Start+A: Deep Purple
Start+B: Clotted Cream (then jam)
Start+C: Blood Red
Start+X: Abyss Blue
Start+Y: Cthulhu Green
Start+Z: Evil Flamingo Pink

Aerial Launcher : Crouching Fierce Punch

Dash: f,f or b,b

Throw: 2 Punches or 2 Kicks

Taunt: Start (KS)(FVS)
Back Turn Taunt: b+Start (KS)(FVS)
Power Surge Taunt: f+Start
   Power Charge: hold start during Power Surge (FVS)

KS:  Kanji Scroll can be activated. (any punch)
FVS: Flash Variant Scroll can be activated. (any kick)

Gadouken: d, df, f, any punch (*FV)
Kouryuuken: f, d, df, any punch (*FV)
Koryuhiji: b,bd,b, any punch (*FV)
Dan Kuu Kyaku: d, db, b, any kick (also air)
Dive Kick: (In air) d, df, f, any kick
Roll: d, df, f, any kick - Alternate Koryuken with any punch. Cancel with any kick.
Asura Warp Forward: f, d, df, any 2 punches (or kicks)
Asura Warp Backward: f, d, df, any 2 punches (or kicks)

Messatsu Gadouken: d, df, f, d, df, f, any punch
Messatsu Koryuurekka: d, db, b, d, db, b, any punch
Messatsu Buraiken: d, db, b, d, db, b, any kick
Messatsu Dankuu Rekka: d, df, f, d, df, f, any kick - Continue Rekka inputs with any kick
Messatsu Haoh Gadouken: f, df, d, db, b, f, 3 punches
Shun Goku Satsu: lp, lp, f, lk, hp
Legendary Taunt: d, df, f, d, df, f, start (KS)(FVSx3)

Palette's 1-6: Classic Evil Palettes
Palette's 7-12: Dark Sicklier Evil

(*FV): These moves are modified version of standard special moves.
       Koryuken: i-Frames.
       Gadouken: Wall bounce.
       Koryuhiji: Ground bounce.
       Shun Goku Satsu: Player now controls the hits - go wild!

Things left to do:
CNS Cleanup
Final Palette Pass. There are a lot of sprites that didn't convert properly in Fighter Factory and some of the colors are incorrectly assigned.
Intros for various fighters, shotos, sagat, etc. (Not high priority)
AI Update - The AI is horrible, I know. I ran into lots of issues and plan to remedy this in the future.
Intro & Ending storyboards

This character is edited heavily from multiple sources:
R's Dan was the base. R deserves mega credit here.
Gouki by Tenebrous.
Code/Sprite & AI assistance from O Ilusionista.
Kairi (You probably helped with something, bud.)
MvCE Evil Ryu by Vyn.
I think an fx sprite or two that Warusaki ripped?
Probably a lot of other resources and creators that I unfortunately cannot remember but deserve credit and acknowledgement. If I've missed someone, I am very sorry. It wasn't on purpose.

Q: How do I activate Saikyo Mode?!?!?!
A: Well, you could figure it out on your own or be petty and just look at the code - or solve this riddle: D,D,D,S during Legendary Taunt. Good luck figuring THAT out.

Q: Why can't I combo off of C+HK?
A: I found it to be a little too exploitable/cheap. There's plenty of juggle setups and linkers.

Q: I found an infinite here..
A: Are you sure? Did you test it with AI off? It may be that p2 can recover during this supposed infinite.

Q: Will there be a CVS/MVC/PotS/etc version?
A: I do not have plans to do those versions.

Q: Can I use your sprites?
A: Sure. Just remember to credit me, please.

Q: Can I edit your character?
A: If you really have to. Again, just remember to credit me. [Side note: I asked Reu this question many years ago when making the first Evil Dan sprites. He said I shouldn't. I didn't.]

Q: What's next after Evil Dan?
A: Nothin'. Maybe AdonEX.

Spoiler: Changelog v5.2 (click to see content)
Spoiler: Changelog v5.1.3 (click to see content)
Spoiler: Changelog v5.1.2 (click to see content)
Spoiler: Old Beta Changelogs (click to see content)

Thanks to these Beta testers for bug reports:
RagingRowen
Vegaz_Parrelli

Other thanks:
Steelhammers
PotS
Anyone I forgot to thank. Sorry.

Edit: Oh right! Please, please, please! Let me know your opinion! I started this thing like 14 years ago and forgot about it and only recently started working on it again. :P

Edit2: Current bug with Gadouken Anim. Will be fixed in next update.
Last Edit: July 26, 2023, 08:27:21 pm by Nocturnis
Re: Evil Dan (Early Release) Current Version: 5.1.2
#2  September 11, 2022, 08:02:13 pm
    • Portugal
    • network.mugenguild.com/pots/
Got around to trying the char. I like that he's completely different from Ilcane's version and that he uses taunts to power up.

Now for some feedback:

- His basic movement feels very slippery. I think you should reset velocity when landing from jumps or dashes
- His buffed life and defense values are very old Mugen like. I think he should have normal values
- His basic and get hit Clsn2 jump around too much
- His chain combos are a bit inconsistent. He can chain LP to LK while crouching but not standing. He can chain MP to MK but not HP to HK. Might be more intuitive if you just give him the full magic series
- The above is especially true during a super jump/aerial rave
- I think the inputs for the power charge taunt are needlessly complicated. Just holding start to charge would be enough
- Inputs for taunt powerups are also too complicated to remember. Maybe just punches for KS and kicks for FVS? Or maybe even make the power come up automatically depending on which taunt you used
- Very minor, but you should be able to taunt while holding down
- I'd personally use the default screenpack hit sparks instead of CvS2 as those are a bit dated/overdone
- Gadouken animation seems misaligned at the start
- Seemingly all of his specials have invulnerable frames. I think it's overdoing it
- He should yell out something during Gadouken
- There's no reason to use light/medium Gadouken. In fact, if you connect with it the opponent can just hit you back before you recover
- I think relying on the scroll system alone would be both more interesting and fair than having a random chance your specials will be more powerful
- Kouryuken animation is wrong. When Dan's falling down he should use the 1061,5 sprite
- Medium Dankuu Kyaku can't be cancelled into from many attacks that can cancel into the other versions
- Dankuu Kyaku could have slightly less startup so it's easier to combo into
- Dive Kick would be more useful if it did not knock down the opponent. Also it's too fast
- I think Koryuken should have no invincibility when it's done from the roll
- Asura Warp needs more CMD priority. You can't do it with B, D, DB, PP or F, D, DF, KK because other moves come out instead
- Asura Warp should have some vulnerable frames at the end
- I think he needs throws before you can call him complete
- I think the super inputs should be closer to SFA Dan (QCF, QCF, P for Messatsu Gadouken, etc)
- Messatsu Gadouken fireball is fired before Dan does the Gadouken pose
- Messatsu Dankuu Rekka Hitdefs need slightly more air.velocity. It misses against KFM after 4 hits
- All super moves should have fall.recover = 0 (probably)
- State 802 uses a 5081 animation which is not required, causing debug messages with KFM
- Messatsu Haoh Gadouken causes a debug message about invalid PalFX parameters
- Having 1 or 2 FVS could use different icons
- Saikyo Mode Gadouken is an infinite by itself. I get that it's a "secret" mode but still
- It's possible to get more than one powerup from one taunt if you do both inputs
- If Messatsu Dankuu Rekka misses any hit and you keep mashing kicks, Dan returns to his planet
- Should be allowed to cancel normal attacks into Roll as well
- Messatsu Buraiken hit sparks are a bit misaligned. Especially noticeable when he uses the sweep
You can help with Ikemen GO's development by trying out the latest development build and reporting any bugs on GitHub.
My Mugen and Ikemen content can also be found here.
#3  September 11, 2022, 08:25:26 pm
Got around to trying the char. I like that he's completely different from Ilcane's version and that he uses taunts to power up.

Now for some feedback:

Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

Where were YOU during beta? :P

Tons of awesome bug reports and recommendations, thanks! Given the amount of stuff you listed, I'll probably just PM you later for some clarification on some of your points you made (a wee bit busy today). I hope that's cool.

Edit: For anyone else providing feedback/bug reports/etc. All of PotS' points will be addressed. I mean it's PotS.. he knows way more than me about this stuff. :P
Last Edit: September 11, 2022, 09:23:36 pm by Nocturnis
#4  September 12, 2022, 08:12:02 pm
    • Argentina
    • matrerog@yahoo.com.ar
Really cool version of Evil Dan.  :thumbsup:
I made a quick video showing the A.I.:
#5  September 12, 2022, 10:30:44 pm
Really cool version of Evil Dan.  :thumbsup:
I made a quick video showing the A.I.

Thank you so much!

It's impressive you manage to get a video of the AI actually working, as well  :mlol:

Don't worry, it'll eventually get updated in the future. I know it's kind of robotic right now.

I'm currently working on fixing the bugs PotS found and implementing his suggestions.

Edit: There will be a delay on the next version as I'm sick. Hell, the whole family is sick. Apologies for the delay.
Last Edit: September 15, 2022, 05:43:33 pm by Nocturnis
#6  September 20, 2022, 03:35:28 pm
  • I can take'em out with my fists
I thought Evil Dan CVS sprited was after Evil Dan?
#7  September 20, 2022, 05:38:52 pm
I thought Evil Dan CVS sprited was after Evil Dan?

No? I'm not sure how you got that impression. Sorry if you were somehow mislead.

I don't have the time do undertake that kind of project, unfortunately. Nor do I have the desire, if I'm going to be honest. No offense.

Side note: Nearly finished with the update. I just need to figure out a good way to nerf the free flash variants during Saikyo Mode.
#8  September 22, 2022, 10:26:45 pm
  • Ore no kobushi ga MAKANI MOERO!
    • USA
    • www.facebook.com/aznpikachu215
Seems like this AI coding could rival ilcane87's.
#9  September 23, 2022, 01:55:23 am

I hope not. That would mean it's more difficult than I intended.

The current AI isn't going to be the final AI anyway. The next patch has changed more than a few combos (for the better, I think) and a lot of the combo strings the AI uses are no longer viable.
Re: Evil Dan - Current Version: 5.1.3
#10  September 24, 2022, 02:35:40 pm
New patch/update released! The next patch is going to focus on cleaning up the CLSNs, and then probably an AI retool.

I originally had planned to edit a lot of sounds for Evil Dan, but I've ran into an issue with Cubase that's preventing me from applying effects properly. No idea why. As a result, Evil Dan saying "Gadouken" in an abrupt, more evil way hasn't been implemented into the character... yet. So, once I lock down the cause of THAT bug hopefully Dan will have a few more vocal lines in the future.
#11  October 10, 2022, 12:58:22 am
  • I'm a llama!
Noticed intros are on the list of things to do that intro I requested 14 years ago if you get bored someday on a rainy day that be awesome

"intro with gouken about how he can't be his student anymore because his anger for sagat is to much and then dan turns evil"
Thanks for everything and glad youre still kicking honestly cant believe its been 14 years
Last Edit: October 10, 2022, 01:01:34 am by AiRiC
#12  October 10, 2022, 02:02:38 am
Noticed intros are on the list of things to do that intro I requested 14 years ago if you get bored someday on a rainy day that be awesome

"intro with gouken about how he can't be his student anymore because his anger for sagat is to much and then dan turns evil"
Thanks for everything and glad youre still kicking honestly cant believe its been 14 years

I still remember!! I don't know when I'll be able to do the next update, but I won't forget your suggestion. I'm pretty busy now being a Dad among other things, so updates are unfortunately going to be slow now.

But, I was thinking something like..

Gouken: What have you done, Dan?!
Dan: What I had to do. I will have revenge!
Gouken: No. I cannot let you do this. This isn't what I taught you.
Dan: *Evil power engulfing him* K..kill.. you...
Gouken: Time for your first REAL lesson, boy.

Thanks for trying him out even though it's 14 years later.
#13  October 10, 2022, 01:40:32 pm
  • I'm a llama!
Yes that would be great and no rush I completely understand thanks for coming back after all these years.
#14  October 15, 2022, 10:02:12 pm
  • I'm power made flesh! Feel how weak you truly are
    • Greece
    • youtube.com/user/ShotokanEditor
Damn i was working remastering Ilcane's version to an EX one like i did on Ogre EX but this looks very promising man!I guess Is Soul Gen is the next for me
I love the diversity with the taunts and his power that he shouldnt have as default great idea!
Cant wait to see more of this tbh, just as Pots said some animations need some work :)
#15  October 15, 2022, 10:44:47 pm
Damn i was working remastering Ilcane's version to an EX one like i did on Ogre EX but this looks very promising man!I guess Is Soul Gen is the next for me
I love the diversity with the taunts and his power that he shouldnt have as default great idea!

Thank you!

Cant wait to see more of this tbh, just as Pots said some animations need some work :)

Which animations? I know that Gadouken has a palette error on the last frames, but it's nothing huge. Everything PotS listed should've been fixed in 5.1.3.
#16  October 16, 2022, 01:29:40 am
  • Ore no kobushi ga MAKANI MOERO!
    • USA
    • www.facebook.com/aznpikachu215

I hope not. That would mean it's more difficult than I intended.

The current AI isn't going to be the final AI anyway. The next patch has changed more than a few combos (for the better, I think) and a lot of the combo strings the AI uses are no longer viable.

ilcane's AI was pretty good, honestly. Doesn't seem like many people use him though.