YesNoOk

I cannot create palette anymore. (Read 1795 times)

Started by Momotaro, April 26, 2020, 02:48:50 pm
Share this topic:
I cannot create palette anymore.
#1  April 26, 2020, 02:48:50 pm
  • A.K.A. NED
  • I like to draw fighting game characters...
I recently started using FF to make some palette. (Im pretty new to FF...)
The idea was to UPDATE an existing palette in some existiing character. (Divine Wolf's Lilith)

I used to use photoshop for it. (and still do it)
My method.

Open the character with FF
select the base palette I want to edit.
apply the palette to SFF, then save one sprite with this base palette.

Then I open the sprite in photoshop and a reference picture for the colors to use.
with color table option I switch some colors.
Then save the result as act file.

When I use this new act in mugen, the colors are messed up...

I don't understand what is wrong and what should I do instead.
I know all the process could be done in FF, but I need the image reference to take some colors from.

EDIT : by checking the color table in FF, I can see the color slots are all inverted... I don't know why this happens.
EDIT2 : OK, the problem seems to happen when I save a sprite from the SFF using FF. When I open this sprite in Pshop, the colors are messed up
But I still don't know what to do.

Any help is welcome.
Thanks
Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 02:56:12 pm by Nedflandeurse
Re: I cannot create palette anymore.
#2  April 26, 2020, 04:51:02 pm
  • I hate coding helpers.
    • Brazil
If you use Fighter Factory Studio to apply a palette to a sprite it picks the wrong color to be used as the transparent one. This problem doesn't happen in Fighter Factory 3. Maybe this is the cause of the problem you're facing.
#3  April 26, 2020, 06:35:37 pm
  • A.K.A. NED
If you use Fighter Factory Studio to apply a palette to a sprite it picks the wrong color to be used as the transparent one. This problem doesn't happen in Fighter Factory 3. Maybe this is the cause of the problem you're facing.

Yes, I'm using FF studio right now.

Should I use FF3 instead ? I mean, is there a good reason to use FF studio (features or compatibility) ?
#4  April 26, 2020, 08:54:01 pm
  • BRAIIIIINS!!
  • "Khh- Ahahahaha!"
    • Chile

Yes, I'm using FF studio right now.

Should I use FF3 instead ? I mean, is there a good reason to use FF studio (features or compatibility) ?

I personally prefer FF3, not only is easier to use, it is also helpful when it comes to do stuff like CS, I think studio is more 'professional'(?), so yeah :P
#5  April 27, 2020, 05:00:39 am
  • Shame on you!
    • USA
EDIT : by checking the color table in FF, I can see the color slots are all inverted... I don't know why this happens.
EDIT2 : OK, the problem seems to happen when I save a sprite from the SFF using FF. When I open this sprite in Pshop, the colors are messed up
But I still don't know what to do.
This should be an easy fix. In FF3 just use the invert all colors button inside of the Advanced palette editor.
If your first and last colors are mixed up, you can manually move them. Just click and drag. When you click and drag the first color, ALL of the colors will get messed up. But once you do the 2nd one, everything should look good.

What are you doing in photoshop that you can't do in the Advanced palette editor?
vVv Ryuko718 Updated 10/31/22 vVv
#6  April 27, 2020, 02:53:17 pm
  • A.K.A. NED
Sorry guys, I didn't saw your messages. And already prepared a reply to explain a way I found to do it.
Even if it's very harsh and not user friendly.

By the way I tried with FF3, and the result was the same.

The way is to have both photoshop open and FFS.
I open my image reference in PS and the normal sprite in FFS with palette editor.

Then I copy paste every single color one by one from PS to FFS. T_T
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

@Odb718
Why I need photoshop ?
I usually create a palette on a picture of the sprite with different references of color and artworks. (I'm very slow compared to other artists)
-Then I have a finished picture of the sprite with new color (but it cannot be used in mugen since it's not in 256 colors etc.) I will name it final refetence
-Then the easy process starts :
I open both my "final reference" and a sprite taken from the SFF. Then with the color table opened in the sprite from SFF, I can switch colors taken from "final reference" by using Color picker.

I need photoshop for opening the reference picture. Since it's not possible in FF.
#7  May 01, 2020, 12:06:47 pm
  • A.K.A. NED
I ask again, is there a way to work with a "picture reference" in an effective way.

Instead of my long an tedious method ?
#8  May 02, 2020, 04:13:09 am
    • USA
When I made palettes, I just used the method odb718 suggested because Paint Shop Pro does the same thing.

Get the frame.  Edit the palette in PSP.  Bring the palette into FF by loading the palette from the image I saved/edited.  Invert the color indexes.  Save as ACT.   No big deal.
#9  May 08, 2020, 05:53:36 pm
  • Shame on you!
    • USA
There has been certain instances where I've had to use Irfanview, or Paint, or Photoshop to edit my images. When I've had problems Using the color selector and transcribing the values into FF3 seemed to be the easiest way.

Have you tried making sure you index the palette before you start your photoshop process?
I would suggest attempting some tests.
Export the sprite using FF3.
Open it up in Photoshop.
Make sure the palette/image is in index.
Change one color to be VERY obvious.
Save both the image and the palette using Photoshop.
Import the new sprite back into your character and view the difference in your palettes.
Figure out how to adjust the palette to work with the other ones.

You'll probably only have to do slight adjustments.
vVv Ryuko718 Updated 10/31/22 vVv