YesNoOk

Moses Maddigan - New Sprites (Read 87268 times)

Started by Sean Altly, July 11, 2019, 07:36:16 am
Share this topic:
Moses Maddigan - New Sprites
New #1  July 11, 2019, 07:36:16 am
  • Deliverater
  • Who's that guy? A-L-T-L-Y
    • USA
    • www.mugenguild.com/seanaltly
So a long while back I decided that Moses needed new sprites very badly. While I was able to simply update Zenith and Vesper's sprites and add a few new animations, I found Moses still needed completely new ones. So here's a preview of those sprites a long with the planned updated movelist.

THROWS

-Downsized - HP+HK/C - A simple chokeslam
-Layoff - B+HP+HK/C - Pulls his opponent to one side and hits a big boot
-Market Crash - HP+HK/C in midair - A midair chokeslam, making him one of the only characters in the game with an air throw

COMMAND NORMALS

-Deal Breaker - F+HK - A stiff big-boot style attack that is slow but does good damage and causes wall bounce.

SPECIAL MOVES

-Insider Trading - QCF+P - His Geese-style counters, LP counters low attacks and HP counters high. No counter for air attacks since he has a reliable anti-air grab. EX Version is a Cross Counter type move that counters everything, has almost no start-up and does big damage, but takes away some life if it connects.

-Glass Ceiling - DP+P - An anti-air grab with good range. EX version has the speed of the LP version, the range of the HP version, and invul frames like a typical anti-air.

-Ground Floor Shake-Up - QCF+K - Creates an earthquake-style shockwave with a powerful single-leg stomp. LK has short range but pops them up for juggles or grabs, HK has wide-range but does moderate damage and hard knockdown. EX version has quick start-up, does good damage and also pops up.

-Hostile Takeover - HCB+K - Command grab where he headbutts the opponent, then either flings them against the wall for a wall-bounce and follow-ups (LK), or slams them outright for guaranteed damage (HK). EX version does three headbutts and leaves the opponent stunned in front of him for an easy combo.

-Tax Evasion - QCB+P - Moses does a quick rotating back-step before delivering a forward-traveling swinging punch. EX Version is very fast, has invul frames, does low damage but also ends with a launcher that can be followed-up with a juggle or Glass Ceiling

SUPER MOVES

L1 - Hyperinflation - QCFx2+P - Maddigan uses his main attacking arm instead of his foot to strike the ground, creating a big burst of energy directly in front of him.

L2 - Black Monday - QCFx2+HK - Maddigan uses his stronger, dominant right hand to deliver a devastating mid-range, single-hit stiff punch. If you hold HK down, he will run towards his opponent, unleashing the punch when he's close or if you release the button.

L2 - Black Tuesday - QCFx2+LK - A counter version of Black Monday that does more damage in exchange for more strict hit requirements.

DM - Ill-Gotten Gains - QCBx2+S - A grab with incredible range that results in several headbutts. He then taunts his opponent while still holding them, slams them to the ground, and absolutely destroys them with alternating grounded punches. He finishes them off with a version of Hyperinflation using his right arm, resulting in huge damage.

Feedback and ideas welcome!

Download Last Bout now!
Last Edit: September 09, 2019, 08:50:40 am by Sean Altly
Re: Moses Maddigan - New Sprites
#2  July 11, 2019, 08:19:36 am
  • Sad, strange little man
  • "My God, jelly donuts are so scary."
    • USA
Hey! Look who's back! I see you've got some new stuff going on here. Those sprites are really cool.
Girls are now typing. Please wait warmly and have some tea until the signature is ready.

Go check out Team Sonic Fighters!
https://mugenguild.com/forum/topics/team-sonic-fighters-188020.0.html
#3  July 11, 2019, 09:30:33 am
  • A.K.A. NED
  • I like to draw fighting game characters...
Great work buddy!!

I'm curious to know your spriting method.
It looks way more polished than in the past.

We still can see the poses references, but I wonder how you work on it.
Do you stream your work?

Or by any chance can you explain a bit?
#4  July 13, 2019, 02:17:21 pm
  • Character Not Unlocked ~
    • Norway
    • Skype - crap-zapper
That's awesome! Really enjoyed using Moses in the previous S.H.A.D.E.S.
Can't wait to see more.
Previously known as;
Mugen-Ninja 2011-2014.
The Street Fighter 2014-2021.
#5  July 15, 2019, 12:14:20 am
  • Deliverater
    • USA
Great work buddy!!

I'm curious to know your spriting method.
It looks way more polished than in the past.

We still can see the poses references, but I wonder how you work on it.
Do you stream your work?

Or by any chance can you explain a bit?

Thanks man, so here is a .gif of the my general process ( doubled in size for visibility purposes):

Here's the explanation frame by frame:

1. So I apply a black silhouette palette to the base sprites (Yamazaki in this case). Also Moses isn't quite as tall as Yamazaki so I vertically scale the sprite 94%
2. Fill with a bright color to help me see better (yeah I could just make the silhouette this color to start but for some reason I never have and I use the same "sill.act" I first made in like 2008). Not always white, usually lime green
3. If I'm copying parts from a base I do it now, which I don't always do, but in the case I'm copying Yamazaki's shoes because it saves me a surprising amount of time to do this. Elle for example however has no copied parts and is 100% my pixels, and AfterImage uses some copied over Shen Woo hands. Also in this case I had a head sprite that fit this pose already so I copied it over.
4. Then I do the outlines
5. Fill in with dark colors
6. Then the middle/anti-alias color linework
7. Last I fill with the brightest color and fix any details or shading issues I see

So as you can see even though I've used Yamazaki as an animation base, 95% of the sprite is still drawn by me in MS paint. I would make my own animations but I've never been good at it. I'm aware this is essentially tracing, but I'm fine with that honestly and I still have a lot of fun putting these characters together.

Download Last Bout now!
#6  July 16, 2019, 11:27:01 pm
  • Character Not Unlocked ~
    • Norway
    • Skype - crap-zapper
I remember you said this long time ago that you used MS Paint, that is mad respect.
Previously known as;
Mugen-Ninja 2011-2014.
The Street Fighter 2014-2021.
#7  August 07, 2019, 09:46:25 pm
  • Deliverater
    • USA
Sorry for the lack of updates folks, been going through some stuff and also been setting up a new computer and it takes a bit to get used to. Moses' sprites are almost done, just have to finish two animations for his super moves, his run, and his intros/win poses.

Kamekaze has finished coding the AI for Ruckus and Elle, and both will be part of the next update, which will also see the addition of Chad In Black, Bloodtide and Afterimage. Once Moses' sprites are done, I will focus on things like intros and endings for the characters while Kamekaze finishes the AI code for the remainder of the returning cast, which is what we need for a full release.

After that, any additional characters will be considered "DLC," and the game should receive regular patches for bug fixes thanks to Kamekaze. I will update this post later today with more screenshots of Moses.

Download Last Bout now!
#8  August 08, 2019, 02:36:47 am
Sorry for the lack of updates folks, been going through some stuff and also been setting up a new computer and it takes a bit to get used to. Moses' sprites are almost done, just have to finish two animations for his super moves, his run, and his intros/win poses.

Kamekaze has finished coding the AI for Ruckus and Elle, and both will be part of the next update, which will also see the addition of Chad In Black, Bloodtide and Afterimage. Once Moses' sprites are done, I will focus on things like intros and endings for the characters while Kamekaze finishes the AI code for the remainder of the returning cast, which is what we need for a full release.

After that, any additional characters will be considered "DLC," and the game should receive regular patches for bug fixes thanks to Kamekaze. I will update this post later today with more screenshots of Moses.

Take your time man, keep up the great work. You're a veteran, we know you'll deliver.

Honestly at this point I'm surprised you haven't tried to release something on steam or something because you're crazy consistent.
#9  August 28, 2019, 02:36:03 am
  • Deliverater
    • USA
Sprites are done! Have some screenshots! I updated the first post with some changes to his moveset.

"This couldn't possibly end well."

Tax Evasion

Standing HK

Hostile Takeover (this is the headbutt connecting)

Deal Breaker

Jumping HK

Ground Floor Shake-Up

His counter specials now end with Bull Market

L1 Super, Hyperinflation

L2 Super, Black Monday/Tuesday

Evasive Roll

Running at his opponent!

"This deal just fell through."

DM, Ill-Gotten Gains

"It was only a matter of time."

Download Last Bout now!
#10  August 28, 2019, 03:43:00 am
  • 仮面ライダーグランドジオウ
  • The Scavenging Time and Space God
    • USA
Awesome.
#11  August 28, 2019, 08:13:41 pm
  • A.K.A. NED
  • I like to draw fighting game characters...
Great progress!
He looks even better than he ever looked.

And a late big thank you for explaining your method of spriting. ^^
#12  August 29, 2019, 04:39:32 am
  • Verily, The Young Male's Arrival is Proclaimed!
I am so ready to give em the business!
The Roasted Pheasant voice acting company is open for business. PM me, and I'll be glad to help.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face." -Mike Tyson
#13  August 31, 2019, 06:59:10 am
  • Deliverater
    • USA
Here's a video everyone!

Download Last Bout now!