Ness WIP (Read 18365 times)

Started by PineappleProducer, December 26, 2010, 09:51:29 pm
Share this topic:
Re: Ness WIP
#21  July 19, 2015, 07:37:19 pm
  • Target Acquired.
    • Ukraine
    • mugencoder.com
Interesting. This Ness looks great and as a recent fan of the Mother series, I approve. :) There's one thing I could never understand though and that is why Smash Bros.' adaptation of the character(s) make PK Flash seem so special. It really isn't. It's not even an offensive move. It should have been was PK Rockin'. The only damage-related thing that PK Flash can do is insta-kill by chance, but I'd recommend not making it do that, lol.

-[Все слова это только слова.]-
#22  July 19, 2015, 08:22:46 pm
  • Currently working in 8 bits...
    • Sweden
I think his basic psychic abilites used on basic attacks are supposed to be a limited form of Rockin, since he shouts when doing them, pretty nifty since in Japan, Rockin was called Kiai which basically means shouting.

Likewise, a lot of Lucas' basic attacks has the same shape as PK Love.

Btw, food for thought, an Earthbound/Mother series Smash Bros...
#23  July 19, 2015, 08:24:03 pm
  • tired
    • Skype - Istillhasnoname
The only damage-related thing that PK Flash can do is insta-kill by chance, but I'd recommend not making it do that, lol.
And in Smash it's practically a one hit kill if you manage the one-in-a-million chance of actually hitting with it fully charged.
Is finding MUGEN to be more enjoyable to play when you're not wearing clothes an underrated opinion?
#24  July 19, 2015, 08:49:45 pm
  • Target Acquired.
    • Ukraine
    • mugencoder.com
And in Smash it's practically a one hit kill if you manage the one-in-a-million chance of actually hitting with it fully charged.
That's right. I played Smash way before Earthbound. It never clicked. :\

I think his basic psychic abilites used on basic attacks are supposed to be a limited form of Rockin, since he shouts when doing them, pretty nifty since in Japan, Rockin was called Kiai which basically means shouting.

Likewise, a lot of Lucas' basic attacks has the same shape as PK Love.

Btw, food for thought, an Earthbound/Mother series Smash Bros...
Yes, Kumatora and Duster need to become characters, lol. I'd love to see a 3D representation of those wall staples in action. :)

-[Все слова это только слова.]-
#25  July 20, 2015, 01:06:52 am
  • I see you.
    • www.mugenfreeforall.com
I love this. I have a few suggestions though.

1. what about using SMAAAASH!!! the effect from mother 3 on some of his more hard hitting supers.

2. Pk Fire should go faster and I wish you could find a nicer looking effect for it

3. are you planning to add Pk Rockin like they did in smash crusade? or possibly you could transition to the actual earthbound battle screen and play the effect on top of them with palfx. its ambitious but would be cool.

is Lucas happening?

You'll fix chuchoryu ? Sounds like a plan. How about you code him from scratch instead ?
#26  July 20, 2015, 03:03:58 am
  • My username has a history to it.
    • USA
    • pineappleproducer.webs.com/
Interesting. This Ness looks great and as a recent fan of the Mother series, I approve. :) There's one thing I could never understand though and that is why Smash Bros.' adaptation of the character(s) make PK Flash seem so special. It really isn't. It's not even an offensive move. It should have been was PK Rockin'. The only damage-related thing that PK Flash can do is insta-kill by chance, but I'd recommend not making it do that, lol.

After playing Earthbound for the first time recently, I was excited to see the notification that Ness had learned PK Flash, only to be confused/underwhelmed when I first used it and it did absolutely nothing. Haha.  :laugh3:

I love this. I have a few suggestions though.

1. what about using SMAAAASH!!! the effect from mother 3 on some of his more hard hitting supers.

2. Pk Fire should go faster and I wish you could find a nicer looking effect for it

3. are you planning to add Pk Rockin like they did in smash crusade? or possibly you could transition to the actual earthbound battle screen and play the effect on top of them with palfx. its ambitious but would be cool.

is Lucas happening?

1. I haven't ever played Mother 3, and thus have never seen this effect. But I will take a gander at it at some point.

2. I looked through several sprites and effects and this was the closest that I could get to resembling a fiery pillar, and in my opinion it's leaps and bounds above the fire effect in the original spritesheet, so unless I find a better effect somewhere, this one is staying.

3. See point 1.

If I ever was to stumble across a complete Lucas spritesheet, I'd make him in a heartbeat.

Speaking of effects, I need to find a suitable replacement for the PK Flash effect, one that fits the same style as the PK Fire effect. Anyone got any suggestions?
*I have an uncle who can't grasp why Donkey Kong isn't on PlayStation 3.
*EMBRACE YOUR INNER WEEABOO!!! :D
*Proud owner of Godzilla on PS4.

#27  July 20, 2015, 03:25:57 am
  • Double-Crosser
  • I'm not standing out. This isn't weird at all.
    • USA
I'm glad my project made you want to continue yours! :) Definitely going to keep an eye out for this one.

One thing I noticed is that the hitsparks seem to be misaligned a little bit on the standing jab combos. Might want to bring them a little closer to Ness.
#28  July 20, 2015, 03:31:39 am
    • USA
Yeah, sadly it seems to be in a couple other attacks as well. Just another artifact from when I had originally started on him. I'll be sure to re-align them.

#29  July 20, 2015, 04:19:33 am
  • Engage me____ mother f_____
  • Killing parents since 1986
How about using this GFX:
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
Straight from SSBB. First one is from PK Thunder, second one is...something realted to it, third one...is something else related to it (not a Ness player, so, can't tell) and fourth one is PSI Magnet. Unfortunately, i can't rip other GFX from it with animations (i can rip parts of them, but you'll have to assemble them). If you think this isn't accurate to SSBB, then you are wrong. Not even "maybe" or "possibly".
But if you think you should better use "normal" (not glowing/transparent) GFX or what to make them by yourself, then ok. Just want to help.
#30  July 20, 2015, 04:30:02 am
  • Super Mario Fighters 3 resurrected.
    • USA
    • doraemariby@yahoo.com
I'm pretty sure the 2nd and 3rd effects are the electricity effects that surround Ness while he does PK Thunder.
#31  July 20, 2015, 04:43:24 am
#32  July 20, 2015, 05:01:56 am
    • USA

#33  July 20, 2015, 05:19:43 am
#34  July 20, 2015, 05:21:23 am
    • USA
I wouldn't worry about it yet. If I do need more, I'll message you or something.

#35  July 20, 2015, 10:20:51 pm
  • Still lurks regularly, but posts once a blue moon
    • Canada
Wow, it's sure been awhile eh?
Awesome to see you working on this again. ;)

Do you plan on incorporating any of his custom moves in Smash 4?
#36  July 20, 2015, 10:40:00 pm
    • USA
I'll let that be a surprise. ;)

#37  July 27, 2015, 10:24:45 pm
    • USA
Okay, so I haven't really worked on Ness much this past week. I've been occupied with other things, not to mention feeling like crap the last three days (screw you, allergies!), but I figured I'd share with you all an idea for a new attack.

I present to you all... PK THUNDER!

In a concept state, anyways.  ;D

Labeled for your convenience, I will try to explain how this move will work in practice.

1. First and foremost, while PK Thunder is identical to it's counterpart from Smash Bros., it's execution will differ slightly. Instead of going through the headache of allowing the player control the orb of electricity, the projectile will automatically circle around and behind Ness, and striking him so that he will turn into a twirling torpedo or electrical death!

2. There are two possible trajectories Ness can launch himself. The second part of the diagram shows a more horizontal path, with the opponent being knocked backwards instead of upwards.

3. If an opponent is close to Ness when PK Thunder is initiated, the PK Thunder projectile can stun them without dissipating, causing them to be "trapped" so Ness can score a hit with the second part of the attack more effectively.

4. However, after the first handful of frames of the attack, the projectile will dissipate if it hits an enemy, leaving Ness vulnerable to a counterattack.

5. Both trajectories can be used in mid-air.

Thoughts or comments?

#38  July 28, 2015, 12:27:00 am
You can split gifs i posted above using GifSplitter or this site: http://ezgif.com/split But if you'll need other GFX i didn't posted here (like GFX used for normal attacks like Forward Aerial), then i'll have to send those.
#39  August 05, 2015, 01:57:37 pm
  • Damn straight!!!
    • USA
    • dgutierrez727D@yahoo.com
please incorporate PK Rockin since its ness's strongest attack and wasn't ever put in smash and I don't want a move like that to go to waste
#40  August 05, 2015, 08:26:54 pm
  • I see you.
    • www.mugenfreeforall.com
I asked him about that and he said its with his basics or something which I disagree with but hey.

You'll fix chuchoryu ? Sounds like a plan. How about you code him from scratch instead ?