YesNoOk

Corona virus...where do you live and how have your life changed  (Read 1286546 times)

Started by Cong Fu Man, March 13, 2020, 01:36:56 am
Share this topic:
Re: Corona virus...where do you live and how have your life changed
#121  March 23, 2020, 10:10:45 am
Of course speaking from Eagleland perspective.

I live about 30 miles from D.C., in a small city. I'm personally not worried about catching it, I'd have a better chance of getting into a car accident. And fortunately my job is essential, so I'm not out of luck making money. Not as fortunate, I'm the only one working in my family.

Obviously, it's a bad situation all around. Everything's in shutdown, cities are getting hit real bad, and it's legitimately unsafe for the elderly to go outside. The economy being strangled to death is putting it generously. Small business is as good as screwed, and city small shops would need a miracle to survive, given the vicious combo of lost revenue and absurdly high expenses over there.

I'd love to rip on the anti-science GOP (it's just the flu, smart) and the oversensitive Dems (let's just do nothing because closing borders is racist or something) since neither of them show any real competence on anything truly important. But I have to cut it short there, because nothing could've been done to stop this disaster. It would've found a way to penetrate the country no matter what action was taken. And the nature of the virus would've made it spread in mass anyway. Not like any other country has found a way to dodge it. Outside of Antarctica

Best case scenario is a sufficient enough slowdown within the next month to slowly re-establish normality, while waiting on the long-term vaccine. South Korea seemingly were able to get a handle on things thanks to numerous testing kits, but apparently it also utilized methods that some would call an invasion of privacy. Don't think that's realistic in most other areas, but forcing isolation within the big cities should produce a similar effect on a more gradual scale. South Korea still has some issues in Seoul.

Finally, frivolous numbers given the overall gravity of the situation, but I feel it must be said. Experts claim that up to 70% of Americans will get infected in the next 18 months. That's laughably inaccurate, and the natural skeptic in me wonders why they'd use such a crazy high number. Current number of cases in the US are at 35,000. To get to even 1%, that number would have to spike to 3 million. Even that number is lofty, much less 210 million. Even Italy, which inexplicably got hit real bad, is not a the 1% mark yet. So yeah, be careful believing what media tells you and stuff.
#122  March 23, 2020, 10:26:36 am
Finally, frivolous numbers given the overall gravity of the situation, but I feel it must be said. Experts claim that up to 70% of Americans will get infected in the next 18 months. That's laughably inaccurate, and the natural skeptic in me wonders why they'd use such a crazy high number. Current number of cases in the US are at 35,000. To get to even 1%, that number would have to spike to 3 million. Even that number is lofty, much less 210 million. Even Italy, which inexplicably got hit real bad, is not a the 1% mark yet. So yeah, be careful believing what media tells you and stuff.
The flu hits dozens of millions of people a year in the US, and that's with a vaccine AND just counting the people with symptoms. If you think these coronavirus estimates are crazy high, it's because you don't realize how easily those things spread, and how even with proper testing, you still would miss a lot of people that don't have symptoms. I don't know if 70% is accurate, but it's definitely way in the double digits. The flu is in the double digits, and that's contained with a vaccine. This is not fake news, this is not fear mongering.
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
Last Edit: March 23, 2020, 10:33:51 am by Byakko
#123  March 23, 2020, 04:53:06 pm
Influenza doesn't cause mass levels of self-isolation. So yeah tens of millions would get infected by that. People vastly underestimate just how little of a number 10 or 20 thousand can be (understandably so), when stacked next to a sizable populace of people.

This is not fake news, this is not fear mongering.

No one said it was, I certainly didn't. In fact, I'll re-emphasize that it's not being taken seriously enough give the enormous strain on the economy, and the flawed healthcare industry as a whole (moreso the people who rely on their services).

But it was an observance that sparked curiosity in me, and how people will use numbers to exploit people's emotion on subject matters. I wouldn't quite know what their motive would be in doing that. Maybe I was simply being paranoid, and they're just using that as a way to tell people how serious it all is.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/03/21/coronavirus-trading-house-senate-140260
There are stories about how congress officials were selling stocks knowing how dire things would become, but not using that information to inform the public. And of course subsequently lying about it too. There are definitely people out there trying to game others (or the system) out of it all, right down to silly supply hoarding.
#124  March 23, 2020, 10:07:05 pm
Influenza doesn't cause mass levels of self-isolation.
Uh ? We're doing isolation to slow this down. If isolation is done properly, then it might not get as bad as that. but then again, the US is obviously not doing isolation properly.
Second thing is, isolation is done to slow it down, it's unlikely to stop it. Contagion will happen, it's just that it'll happen much slower if people do this right, and if it's slow enough, then it can very easily be handled in hospitals and early care, even if there's still a 1~3% mortality rate. But the total numbers who will have gotten it will still be very high a year and a half from now. It's just that if it's slowed down enough, you won't hear much about it because people will be able to go to the hospital a few at a time and they'll all get proper treatment and most of them will make it out easily. If it doesn't work, they'll all get it at the same time and they'll clog the hospitals and a lot of people who didn't have to die from it will die.
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.

MCX

#125  March 24, 2020, 03:38:44 am
  • Time won't wait for me
    • https://naudamaceno.carbonmade.com/
I will repeat again, don't be a xenophobic.

I wasn't being xenophobic, just exposing your double standards. Shame on me for trying to argue with NPCs I guess...
Dude, you're blame China for the chaos that we are right now, how this is not xenophobic? I mean, bring better arguments
We have a president that don't even care, and wow, he blames China. I tried to find any news about what you said, and I found nothing. So you know that's false and a big old fake news. So I sugest to you, find better sources, search for the Doctor who find out about the Covid-19.
#126  March 24, 2020, 03:46:04 am
  • CPU Purple Heart
    • USA
    • https://www.pixiv.net/en/users/8108265
 If anything, China is the biggest victim here because of corruption within the government and portions of the wealthy elite that inhabit the country screwing them over. So, yeah, it is fairly xenophobic to pin the cause on them collectively.
#127  March 24, 2020, 04:59:54 pm
  • Karate ni senshi nashi
    • Brazil
    • www.youtube.com/user/karate867
even when will china continue to spread diseases around the world?
Don't be a xenophobic.
I'm fucked, I am a tattoo artist, we shut down the shop, to avoid any risks, but tattoo is my only income, I don't know how I will pay my bills.
I'm trying to get some freelance jobs as an illustrator/Graphic Designer, but didn't have any luck.
Also, the president here in Brazil, still treats this as a joke and don't even care.

Im not a xenophobic. But in fact the vírus came from china. I really dont know how many information was hidden by china about this

About our president, you can ask the oposition then you Will see a joke
Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 05:06:34 pm by Mr.Karate JKA
#128  March 24, 2020, 05:03:08 pm
#129  March 24, 2020, 05:04:55 pm
  • Karate ni senshi nashi
    • Brazil
#130  March 24, 2020, 05:05:53 pm
Yes ???? It's everyone else's decision. It's not for you to say, it's for everyone else to judge you.
Nobody thinks they're saying or doing something bad.
#131  March 24, 2020, 05:12:08 pm
  • Karate ni senshi nashi
    • Brazil
So, now you can judge me because my point of view?

I said (and i Will continue) this is a chinese vírus cause Its simple: came from china.

They were negligent about the virus.

If you dont like It, Sorry but i can do nothing about you.

Before i forget: i have some friends for other countries. I never disrespect people for another countries here ok rio de janeiro
#132  March 24, 2020, 05:18:07 pm
Yes ???
The Chinese government wasn't just negligent, they were criminal as usual, shutting down and vanishing the people ringing the alarm bells. But you want to talk about negligence when you're from Brazil with Bolsonaro as your president ? The guy who's still denying the threat of the virus even though he himself is infected by it ?

It's everyone's fault, everyone on the planet found out about it in mid January at the latest and yet the governments of the world still waited a month and a half to do anything about it. Only after Italy cracked, people started saying "let's wait another 2 weeks to see how that goes".
Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 05:21:14 pm by Byakko
#133  March 24, 2020, 05:55:19 pm
  • Karate ni senshi nashi
    • Brazil
Yes ???
The Chinese government wasn't just negligent, they were criminal as usual, shutting down and vanishing the people ringing the alarm bells. But you want to talk about negligence when you're from Brazil with Bolsonaro as your president ? The guy who's still denying the threat of the virus even though he himself is infected by it ?

It's everyone's fault, everyone on the planet found out about it in mid January at the latest and yet the governments of the world still waited a month and a half to do anything about it. Only after Italy cracked, people started saying "let's wait another 2 weeks to see how that goes".

Yes??

Congratulations bro! Even from Miles of distance without know me and my life, in a game fórum you have this super Power... Judge another people. Amazing!

Tell me: why? Or who do you think you are to judge another people? I wont change my mind, what you gonna do? Post things here ? Call me xenophobic? What a joke.

Man i dont know you. And i Dont want. I dont Care about you and your opinion. As a public fórum i Just gave my opinion on this thread.

Grow up kid. See ya, i have a Lot of work to do!
#134  March 24, 2020, 06:04:18 pm
"Kid" lol
That's literally how the real world works, this has nothing to do with online forums. If people who hear you talk think you're being xenophobic, they're going to judge you and call you xenophobic, no one cares what your background is. Go back to school or something.
#135  March 24, 2020, 06:25:16 pm
  • 하나뿐인 한국인 대표
  • Ambassador of MugenRevival
    • South Korea
    • sites.google.com/view/kolossoni-mugen
Xenophobia - dislike of or prejudice against people from other countries.

FYI, sourcing the root of the disease as a factual point is NOT xenophobic.
COVID-19, AKA Coronavirus, AKA Wuhan Virus did indeed come from Wuhan, China. There's nothing xenophobic with stating facts.
That would be like "Japan bombed Pearl Harbor" and saying "that's xenophobic towards the Japanese". Which is not, cuz it's a fact.

Now what would be xenophobic would be smth like "therefore, all the Chinese are ______" or smth that stirs up hateful remarks.

As far as I can see, nobody here has done anything like that.
#136  March 24, 2020, 06:47:00 pm
There's no such thing as stating facts, especially on the Internet. People only say things for a specific reason, and only ever cherry pick the facts that suit what they want to say. That's why people will interpret what you say differently and may decide to call you xenophobic.
And viruses don't have nationalities.
#137  March 24, 2020, 06:58:06 pm
    • Chile
But they have an origin, and this virus comes from China.
#138  March 24, 2020, 07:03:14 pm
  • 하나뿐인 한국인 대표
  • Ambassador of MugenRevival
    • South Korea
    • sites.google.com/view/kolossoni-mugen
That's a bold statement you're making.
Deciding to call someone xenophobic is fair. But at least use it in the right context.

And as a chemist, I can firmly say that most scientific nomeclatures are well driven from multiple sources including but not restricted to: names, countries, continents and etc.

For example,
- MERS AKA Middle East respiratory syndrome-related coronavirus clearly singles out a certain area in the world. That doesn't make it racist.
- JEV AKA Japanese encephalitis also "technically" has a nation's name but it's not due to xenophobic reasons.
- Alzheimer's disease was named after a person "Alois Alzheimer" not to hate on anyone with the name "Alzheimer".
- Black Plague has the word "Black" but has nothing to do with hating on African desecendants.

I can list so many more examples of "hateful sounding" words in science that in fact has nothing to do with singling out, discriminatory xenophobia.
So, I remark once again,

Stating that COVID-19 came from Wuhan, China is NOT being xenophobic.
Heck, even the recent "Ebola" virus is derived from an African tribe's area...
Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 07:07:47 pm by Kolossoni
#139  March 24, 2020, 07:07:06 pm
What's compelling you to use that as a name instead of the many other names it has ? Coronavirus, Covid-19, SARS-CoV-2. If you wanted to go by where it came from, you could even call it the Wuhan virus. But no, let's not use any of that, let's not use its actual birthplace, let's use a much broader term for no real reason (and pretend that this is more fitting to designate as its birthplace rather than Wuhan), no matter how you try to justify it after the fact.
This is a decision you made, and it's very easy for anyone who hears that to form a conclusion on why you made that decision.
How do you not get that this is a conclusion people wil inevitably make about you, no matter how you try to explain to them that you are only driven by facts and logic (which you're cherry-picking) ?
#140  March 24, 2020, 07:08:15 pm
    • Canada
There's no such thing as stating facts, especially on the Internet. People only say things for a specific reason, and only ever cherry pick the facts that suit what they want to say. That's why people will interpret what you say differently and may decide to call you xenophobic.
And viruses don't have nationalities.

Actually there is. Facts are facts whether you regard them as truth or not. What you're referring to are "opinions" and you claiming Mr.Karate JKA is xenophobic is just that... your opinion, no one else's. Don't speak for people...