YesNoOk

entertainment news that don't deserve their own thread (Read 1343554 times)

Started by Titiln, June 18, 2011, 03:16:32 am
Share this topic:
Re: entertainment news that don't deserve their own thread
#861  October 21, 2013, 03:15:57 pm
  • Palette God? Champion? AntiChrist? Something.
  • I AM THE KING OF PALETTES!!
    • USA
So you guys didn't like Ultimate Fury being black right. 

GOH

#862  October 21, 2013, 03:20:20 pm
  • Pure radge
    • Portugal

I love black people!
#863  October 21, 2013, 03:22:22 pm
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
Johnny storm acts like a wigga , which will make this very weird.
#864  October 21, 2013, 03:42:25 pm
So you guys didn't like Ultimate Fury being black right. 
He was literally designed to be Samuel L. Jackson, of course everyone loves him. Was the previous version even any popular in the first place ? I didn't even know he used to be white when I first saw the SLJ version, I vaguely knew the name (not that I knew much about comics at the time).
The Fantastic Four, despite their lack of recognition as serious characters, are still more or less known for their antics. The brain, the hot blonde, the big guy, and the "rich kid with a sports car" - as in "rich white kid" of course.
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
#865  October 21, 2013, 05:24:51 pm
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
White fury was huge with fans, samuel jackson was well received because the ultimate comics were neat at start( they got progressively worse).

The one you have in the movies are the ultimates looks with the original's personality.

In the main continuity there are two fury's now, the original one and a black one that is his kid.
#866  October 21, 2013, 05:29:54 pm
  • Lazy spriter
  • Demon in heaven gotta carry a knife
    • Bolivia
    • network.mugenguild.com/thedge/
So... Samuel L. Jackson is David Hasselhoff's son?
That’s when I thought, “good grief”
Just ain’t my belief
Until I saw the holes
Inside his hand
#867  October 21, 2013, 05:35:58 pm
  • Hick-spanic
  • the dawn away
    • Puerto Rico
Yes.
might as well shill: https://twitter.com/FraudKrew
the streams are here: https://www.twitch.tv/robotboombox
#868  October 21, 2013, 05:48:35 pm
In the main continuity there are two fury's now, the original one and a black one that is his kid.
Hah, so the black one does go the "new character" route, and I reckon he doesn't get the bad "pandering to diversity by changing an existing character" attention. QED !
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
#869  October 21, 2013, 05:57:08 pm
  • Hick-spanic
  • the dawn away
    • Puerto Rico
Part of it's due to the fact that the original is still running around but yeah you're right.

Only people that complain about the change are the ones that say it's pandering to the movie audience (which it kinda is, but it's definitely not as bad as most examples).
#870  October 21, 2013, 06:00:05 pm
#871  October 21, 2013, 08:04:59 pm
  • The Absolute Worst
    • Canada
    • Skype - do.not.even.ask
    • randomselect.piiym.net/
You want a compelling black character?  Then you write a compelling black character.

Yeah, no. If you want to write a compelling black character, you have to just write a compelling raceless character. The moment you set out to write a compelling "black character" that character is immediately solely defined by their race and doesn't become compelling at all.
#872  October 21, 2013, 11:26:30 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
you are stigmatizing it way too much, let's say that instead of black chaarcter he had said lesbian character, that is not solely defining a character for her sexual orientation, but you can't realistically say that being lesbian won't have any impact in the character.
#873  October 22, 2013, 10:23:48 am
    • Philippines
    • https://web.archive.org/web/20181226221429/http://moogen.piiym.net/
You want a compelling black character?  Then you write a compelling black character.

Yeah, no. If you want to write a compelling black character, you have to just write a compelling raceless character. The moment you set out to write a compelling "black character" that character is immediately solely defined by their race and doesn't become compelling at all.

You're race has everything to do with who and what you are. It does have an impact on who you are and how people treat you.
#874  October 22, 2013, 08:26:01 pm
  • If you’re gonna reach for a star...
  • reach for the lowest one you can.
    • USA
    • network.mugenguild.com/jmorphman
Some good news and bad news. Good news: Tim Burton is working on a Beetlejuice sequel. Bad news: it's recent Tim Burton of Alice in Wonderland and Dark Shadows fame.

You can't just take a white character, change the color of its skin and nothing else, then point to it and say "this means we are racial diversity now."
Sure you can. Ultimate Fury, Liz Allen in Spectacular Spider-Man, even Alicia Masters in the old FF movies (played by Kerry Washington?! holy shit I didn't realize that, but now that I think about it she was a bright spot in those shitty movies) They didn't make a big fuss about it, and it didn't change any of the characters. Well, besides Ultimate Fury, who became "Samuel L. Jackson as spymaster", personality-wise.

Hah, so the black one does go the "new character" route, and I reckon he doesn't get the bad "pandering to diversity by changing an existing character" attention. QED !
Original Ultimate Fury did not go the "new character" route, he was just that universe's version of Fury. I'm pretty sure there were some other race changes in the Ultimate universe but the only other similar change I can think of is Ultimate Colossus being gay. Which is to say, since nothing sticks out, the changes were ultimately irrelevant to the characters, and weren't used to say anything about interesting about diversity or whatever. Well, Colossus, I guess, what with the whole X-Men are minorities angle.

But yeah 616 Fury Jr. just comes off as a silly attempt to make 616 exactly like the movie universe and stuff
#875  October 22, 2013, 08:36:52 pm
  • The Absolute Worst
    • Canada
it better be beetlejuice goes hawaiian or else i'm not interested at all
#876  October 22, 2013, 08:39:44 pm
    • USA
It'll be Beetlejuice goes Hawaiian and is now played by Johnny Depp, who wears an elaborate hat throughout the movie, also starring Helena Bonham Carter.

That's the full name.
#877  October 22, 2013, 08:42:44 pm
  • The Absolute Worst
    • Canada
fuuuuuuck

i'm imagining how much of a complete trainwreck that movie would be and already the money is leaping out of my trousers onto my computer screen
#878  October 22, 2013, 08:52:49 pm
Original Ultimate Fury did not go the "new character" route, he was just that universe's version of Fury.
Yeah, but like I said, it's Samuel L. Jackson, that's why this case was loved by everyone :P

Re: Beetlejuice, hm, yeah, I wonder if he's looking back at his old stuff and trying to go back to it, or the other way around, trying to redo his old stuff in his current style.
#879  October 22, 2013, 08:53:44 pm
    • USA
Samuel L. Jackson should play every character.

I mean, I'd watch it. It'd be amazing.
#880  October 22, 2013, 08:58:57 pm
  • Hick-spanic
  • the dawn away
    • Puerto Rico
Who wouldn't pay for Beetlejuice Goes Hawaiian with Samuel L as BJ?