YesNoOk

Battle Arena Toshinden 3 Characters - Sprite references? (Read 21788 times)

Started by HyperCelebi, December 02, 2015, 08:41:51 am
Share this topic:
Battle Arena Toshinden 3 Characters - Sprite references?
#1  December 02, 2015, 08:41:51 am
    • Germany
Hey there. I just wanted to know if anyone who played or at least knows the PSX Game "Battle Arena Toshinden 3" could tell me, if there are any characters from certain fighting games where I could get references for making the sprites, because spriting from scratch just isn't my thing.

I mean like there was a guy some time ago who asked for sprite reference for UMVC3 Pheonix Wright Sprites in CVS Style and he was told to edit Shiki Tohno, which turned out really good I have to admit.

If it helps you guys, I could list the characters weapons because if you played the game you know that every character uses a weapon of choice for their fighting style (only the main boss fights with his bare fists).

Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
Re: Battle Arena Toshinden 3 Characters - Sprite references?
#2  December 02, 2015, 09:22:04 am
  • Legendary XIII
  • I am the eye of the storm to come!
    • New Zealand
    • network.mugenguild.com/cyanide/
TBH posting screenshots of each character (just a single screen) would be more beneficial than names. Most of them have weapons, weapons aren't THAT common in the ripped fighting games, so you'd have to edit them in anyway. So we need to work out who the best base is. I could look up screenshots myself but it would make more sense if you posted them.

For example, golden zabel from darkstalkers wields a chainsaw. But he's a very zombie looking zombie and absolutely won't suit for the sprite set you have, you would be better with a double handed sword regular character and then editing the moves into a chainsaw instead.

In M.U.G.E.N there is no magic button

They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance.
#3  December 02, 2015, 09:30:43 pm
    • Germany
TBH posting screenshots of each character (just a single screen) would be more beneficial than names. Most of them have weapons, weapons aren't THAT common in the ripped fighting games, so you'd have to edit them in anyway. So we need to work out who the best base is. I could look up screenshots myself but it would make more sense if you posted them.

For example, golden zabel from darkstalkers wields a chainsaw. But he's a very zombie looking zombie and absolutely won't suit for the sprite set you have, you would be better with a double handed sword regular character and then editing the moves into a chainsaw instead.

Yeah, you're right, I just made up that post at early morning and was too tired to take screenshots from the game.
I will do that later when I get the time to and update first post. Or is it better to put the screens into a new post? I don't know, I'm not that much active in online forums.

And yes, when I said "sprite reference" I meant using another character as base. Sorry if that was wrong, English isn't my native language.

Like said, I will post screens (or maybe video) later then.
#4  December 04, 2015, 04:55:30 pm
  • i'm a gay trans lady
  • to hell with this site, find me at mffa or w/e
    • USA
    • Skype - MelvanaInChains
    • www.melv.thedailypos.org/
if'n you're too busy, i can help with that

also i've realized a couple of days that Condor from breakers revenge could potentially be a good base for Tau, they have similar outfits and builds
#5  December 14, 2015, 02:24:40 am
    • Germany
if'n you're too busy, i can help with that

also i've realized a couple of days that Condor from breakers revenge could potentially be a good base for Tau, they have similar outfits and builds

I just looked at him. Really, better base than T-Hawk, thanks. I think I can work with that. :)
And yeah, any help would be really appreciated, thank you for the offer.

For the other characters ... since I can't find that much time for Mugen at the moment bacause of Christmas Eve coming closer everyday and getting preperations done for that, this video has to be enough:

Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

The guy who uploaded this one also did a video about the "Soul Bomb" Moves of the characters, but it is really unimportant for their "look", because I would like to use the standard costumes and they almost always use them as Player 1 in this video. At least when they show the first move of themselves.

I hope this helps you guys. Since almost everyone of you probably knows more characters from Fighting Games than me, it is better to ask I think.

EDIT: (15.12.2015)
Oh, one more thing Runaway Melv. I've just found a thread on my search for bases for the characters.

http://mugenguild.com/forum/topics/layla-and-tsugumi-sakuraka-138076.0.html

Do you still have these two characters? Can't seem to find them on this japanese blog.
Tsugumi might be good for some character I can't imagine at this point, I'm just interested in her, but more important is Layla, since she wears tonfas as weapons and Tracy and Rachael both use them as weapons.
Do you still have them both? I would appreciate your help. :)

Posted: December 18, 2015, 10:42:27 am
Sorry for double-posting, but I only want to "update" this thread.

Now I've found a few characters as good bases but not all I want to make. First, I'm doing only the stance for each of the characters I want to sprite.
I'm gonna update that in first post when I'm done with the first 1-2 sprites, I will list now which characters of the game I chose and if I got a base for them or not.

Eiji Shinjo - Sol Badguy from Guilty Gear
Sho Shinjo - Yukimura Sanada from Samurai Deeper Kyo or Ky Kiske from Guilty Gear
Kayin Amoh - Kaede from The Last Blade
Naru Amoh - ??? (a little girl with pigtails wearing a Katana)
Ellis - Zantetsu from The Last Blade
Gaia - Zack from Dragoon Might (Weapon), Zankuro from Samurai Shodown for the hair and Yumeji from Samurai Shodown for the stance
David - Iori Yagami (Hair) and Ryo Sakazaki
Tracy and Rachael - Layla from Dragoon Might; Rob Vincent from Knuckle Heads or Maki Genryusai from Final Fight
Nagisa - Yuya Shiina from Samurai Deeper Kyo and Detective Garret Laurel from SHADEs of Manhattan 2
Rungo Iron - Juzo Kanzaki from The Last Blade
Bayhou and Cuiling - Choi Bounge from The King of Fighters series and Vega (Claw) for Fo Fai's Claws (Bayhou)
Atahua - ??? (a young native american with tribesman twin blowguns)
Tau - Condor Heads from Breakers Series (thanks to Runaway Melv)
Adam - Maybe War Machine from MvC2 or Iron Man, not sure at the moment (He's an orange robot with a laser cannon gun, not attached to him)
Ten Count - Moonwalker for the color scheme (Michael Jackson clone) ... Charlotte from Samurai Shodown for the Rapier ... but no idea for the stance, since it's like Michael Jackson ... just maybe Lee Recca from The Last Blade
Judgement - Thirteen from SHADEs of Manhattan 2
Chaos - Kyoshiro from Samurai Shodown (stance) and Testament from Guilty Gear for the scythe
Vermilion - ??? (skinny guy with glasses, wearing two guns, a sawn-off one handed shotgun and a revolver and wearing a black suit with a white vest underneath)
Abel - Ken Masters from Street Fighter series and Dio Brando from JoJo's Bizarre Adventure (thanks to Captain Papyrus, these sprites really could be a good base for his body)
Veil - ??? (the penultimate character shown in the video I posted before)

I will update first post when some sprites are done. :)
And like always: suggestions for the missing character bases would be appreciated.
Last Edit: December 28, 2015, 08:41:56 pm by HyperCelebi
#6  December 22, 2015, 01:07:44 pm
  • Back to the Beginnings
    • https://discord.gg/hnyK7JZ
After seeing parts of the Battle Arena Toshinden 3 manga, I must say that Abel has many visual similarities with Dio Brando from JoJo's Bizarre Adventure.
And thankfully, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure does have a 2D fighting game. Made by Capcom even. Might want to check, although I'm not a big Toshinden expert.
===My discord servers===
Unlimited Force HQ: https://discord.gg/hnyK7JZ
Mega Man Megamix Engine Help Server: https://discord.gg/Wjm9GYU

Touhou database (by Ryouchi):
http://mugenfreeforall.com/index.php?/topic/8257-touhou-project/
you are all small and can't grow manly sideburns
#7  December 28, 2015, 08:27:32 pm
    • Germany
After seeing parts of the Battle Arena Toshinden 3 manga, I must say that Abel has many visual similarities with Dio Brando from JoJo's Bizarre Adventure.
And thankfully, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure does have a 2D fighting game. Made by Capcom even. Might want to check, although I'm not a big Toshinden expert.

I added it to my list, thank you for that. I can work with these. :)
#8  December 28, 2015, 09:32:59 pm
  • Hedgehog Whisperer
  • Red Bull addict
    • Spain
    • xgargoyle.mgbr.net
This was a sprite made by a friend, as a personal gift:

Head from Joe Higashi
Body is from Takuma, IIRC
Legs are from Benimaru

Don't know if the frankenspriting could provide a base enough to get a full Eiji (I know, this is BAT 1 & 2's version), but you can figure it out
XGargoyle: Battle posing since 1979
http://xgargoyle.mgbr.net
http://www.pandorabots.com/pandora/talk?botid=e71c0d43fe35093a  <-- Please click that link
http://paypal.me/XGargoyle  <-- Donations welcome!
New #9  December 28, 2015, 09:43:51 pm
  • i'm a gay trans lady
  • to hell with this site, find me at mffa or w/e
    • USA
    • Skype - MelvanaInChains
    • www.melv.thedailypos.org/
y'know i just realized something

you would essentially have 90% of your Ten Count base right there

oh yeah, regarding the dragoon might characters: i'm not sure i still have them, actually
Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 05:44:54 am by Runaway Melv