YesNoOk

Who do you look up to in the Mugen community? (Read 12981 times)

Started by Sinnesloschen, December 20, 2013, 02:34:17 am
Share this topic:
Re: Who do you look up to in the Mugen community?
#41  December 24, 2013, 04:36:33 pm
    • Peru
I've been out of the scene for a few years, I don't code or even play MUGEN anymore, but the names that pop up in my mind when I think about this hobby are: Arma_X, from Chile, Walt and [E] from México, XGargoyle, Cyanide, NMario, Reu and PotS. Definitively I'm missing some names, but I they helped me or we became "good friends" in the process of hanging around here.

Some of us come from an era where Facebook didn't exist so it was harder to interact with people, hence some threads like "Post your picture thread". Having that was lead us to reactions like "Oh my god, his a real person after all".
#42  April 11, 2015, 04:09:46 pm
    • USA
Tatsu, Elecbyte, for now.
#43  April 11, 2015, 06:02:12 pm
  • The Barbarian
  • Most ****able 2013
    • USA
    • Skype - chronostrifeff7h@hotmail.com
[Edit] Oh you updated an ancient thread, shit.... should have checked before posting. Fuck..

From a code/mathematics side:
XGargoyle, Serio, Bea. They've displayed knowledge and trickery in working around Mugens limits, which from what I've seen displays a greater knowledge and talent than any of solution/workarounds or thought I've been able to do. Plus I hadn't really used Calc/Trig or even considered it until Bea explained how to do something with it in a thread like 7 years back or something.

From a sprites/artistic/animation side:
Roken, Neocide, Balthazar, Benhazard. I've been spriting for as long as most of these guys(in at least 1 case even longer), and I still suck all kinds of ass. I've seen Neocide and Roken improve over the years since like 2001 or 2003 or whenever I stumbled into ZGTeam and they've been blowing my mind and making me feel insignificant ever since and even today when they post something new all I can typically say is "Amazing!" because I think my mind has been blown so many time I sound like a broken record.

From a gameplay side.. I don't really get good gameplay in fighting games, I'm not knowledgeable on what is good, because usually what is good always seems near unplayable for me as I suck at fighters and always will. Hence why I do my own simple things from a gameplay standpoint and ultimately why I'd rather just code crazy shit in. But I'd say just from what I've seen over the years and people's reactions to the releases: Jesuszilla, POTS, and Lonewolf. If I was told to change something stupid that I was doing in my personages by these people, I'd do it.
#44  April 11, 2015, 06:25:09 pm
  • The Sweeper
  • Surpass my Aniki
    • Algeria
Well since it was bump anyways why not

I have to go with The None and Melvana for originality and fun factor. The none because his character always have something that make them completly unique over there other version like his magic geese or his segalow. Melvana because witheout his creations there would have been alot of fighting game that I would not even knew about.

There also Kamekaze and Jango. Kamekaze because he pretty much can create anything. I like how he dont focus on one game or on one system and try to do everything. And Jango because he his working on Bob Hoskins Mario , when you try his Pupa you see how much work where done for her not only does she play good but she have alot of minor stuff that make her kind of unique.

Forgot about Drkelexo to. Not only does he make character, but he also make stage and even lifebars Like the jojo lifebars thatt where never finish. There is not alot of person who can do all of this so he is great. He is also a pretty cool guy

-STREET FIGHTER VI WAITING ROOM-
-DRAGON QUEST XII WAITING ROOM-
Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 06:36:06 pm by City_Hunter
#45  April 13, 2015, 01:30:43 am
  • M.U.G.E.N 4 LIFE!
    • USA
    • suliofthenerdvaid@gmail.com
    • https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwd0KXNN1f_sVI80PHAnWdA
Oh what the heck i'll go.

The people I look up to are Toxic, C.A.N, ZeroDegreez, ShinRei and WatsonGrim because when i see there videos I just feel so motivated to play some MUGEN  and the Combos that they do are AMAZING and makes me wanna do some combos myself I guess I just need some practice lol.
#46  April 13, 2015, 01:45:31 am
  • Palette God? Champion? AntiChrist? Something.
  • I AM THE KING OF PALETTES!!
    • USA
I looked up to Kirishima, Twon, Cyclysm and a handful of others.  And then I surpassed them.  Now I'm the one looking down on everything from my rainbow colored Mount Olympus.

Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 01:59:31 am by Duos.act
#47  April 13, 2015, 03:07:33 am
  • Somewhere between Guilty Gear and real rap
  • ey b0ss
    • nass.yh95@gmail.com
-Character Coding: Jmorphman, Memo, Rajaa, Ghostkiller, Cybaster, Legendary DeMonK@i, Reu, Victorys, Sean Altly, Jango Hakamichi, Shin Zankuro, Jesuszilla, DivineWolf

-Artwork and Sprites: EnlightendShadow, Felo_Llop, Diepod, Balthazar, Motor Roach, Karasai, Hoshi, Alex Sinigaglia, luisdude1, walt, zero de armentis, Jiggeh, Mr. A (or Rolento), Shock Dingo and City_Hunter (lifebars artwork count)

-Stages: Markpachi, ExShadow, k6666orochi, Watta, GLB, Anti-11, Taybear

-Screenpacks: Reverse Yu, ianb3000, HUNGRY WOLF, 7th and Tef

.... a lot, I know, but what the hell honestly, if everybody's doing it, might as well follow suit. Also, this list is not in any particular order.
This is a generic forum signature.
#48  April 13, 2015, 07:22:04 am
  • Double-Crosser
  • I'm not standing out. This isn't weird at all.
    • USA
Jango because he his working on Bob Hoskins Mario , when you try his Pupa you see how much work where done for her not only does she play good but she have alot of minor stuff that make her kind of unique.
Jango Hakamichi

Lessee, if I was to talk about people I look up to, well aside from the obvious ones (ie: Reu, TDS, PotS)...

DGJ, even though our friendship ended on a less-than-happy note, he was a big influence on not just creation but helping those who are just starting out, since he did both for me when I made my first character (well more like completed his last character).

Pneophen rarely said anything, but I liked his philosophy of taking a character and having fun with it. For the newer players, think "PotS-style" but with more subdued FX, re-imagining how some attacks work, and sometimes just making up new moves. He actually made me like Sakura, and if Capcom handled Juli the way he did, I can guarantee she would've been seen in more games.

I guess you could also say the same about [XCB] (aka Big Eli King), because you can tell that he put his own little touches into his characters. Now before I get people posting "but but but... he was elitist from before the change!" I just want to point out that most of his part in the whole "movement" was mostly other people claiming to speak for him (*coughAshleycough*), and in his twilight years he seemed to be down with (or at least apathetic to) people using his code. Plus he put up with my jackassery a bunch of times. That's saying a lot.

There's probably lots more people that I should mention, but I'll probably remember them later.
#49  April 13, 2015, 07:40:20 am
  • Staying Alive
    • Panama
No one. I´m really thankful to many people but I never looked up for anyone. I like original stuff that plays nicely or stuff that plays like the games I like.

Someone apparently hijacked my account that day and posted this because, honestly, this aint making much sense. Ill be hunting the head of that individual. My apologies.

On-topic though:

Kirishima, MC2, MDD, Twon, PsychoKrusher in the palette department: Great guys that provided some cool recommendations and tips when I was starting in this palette business. Thanks a lot guys. (I legitly tried to copy Twon style, it didnt provided good results)

Davismaximus, Froz, Girard and ATP in the color separation department: Was cool to color separate wolverine with them and they provide cool color separation patches that make me want to separate something else later on (whenever I have time). Keep it up, guys!

Stages: Too many to even list

Chars: Too many to even list (Trinity mugen tho)

Chilling
#50  April 13, 2015, 09:02:49 pm
  • Hedgehog Whisperer
  • Red Bull addict
    • Spain
    • xgargoyle.mgbr.net
Basara and Chrono.st: Thanks for the appreciation!

So, since the thread has been brought back, here's my list of people that were an inspiration to me:
SamusAran78: He was my mugen mentor and I'll always keep a fond memory of him. He's the reason why I began creating Mugen stuff.
NeoGouki: Taught me some great tips on how to go beyond that "extra step" when doing stuff. He introduced me to data extraction methods such as debuggers, sprite extraction tools, customized tools for ripping, etc...
Bia: Can't think of any other person with such deep knowledge in coding and math skills. Besides, she's my partner in crime on our guilty pleasure, Formula 1 :)
[E]: Taught me some nice tricks when I was still a newbie
Deuce: I learned from him the proper techniques for ripping sprites and obtaining accurate data from Neo Geo games. Techniques that I later was able to apply to other games and systems.
Rolento: Interesting folk from whom you can always learn something new and worth unrelated to mugen. Unfortunately, he lives on the wrong side of the world.
Reu: While everyone appreciates his characters, I don't think they were his forte, and certainly there are lots of better characters before and after Evil Duo and Dragon Claw. Reu has been a role model to me for his other achievements in life and made me think about how a modern renaissance man should be.

And that's all, I certainly appreciate other people and admire their works/personality, but they just can't be compared to the personal attachment and impression the above mentioned names left on me.
XGargoyle: Battle posing since 1979
http://xgargoyle.mgbr.net
http://www.pandorabots.com/pandora/talk?botid=e71c0d43fe35093a  <-- Please click that link
http://paypal.me/XGargoyle  <-- Donations welcome!
#51  April 17, 2015, 10:52:14 am
  • Hey, I'm Grump!
    • USA
    • soldier.ucoz.net/
This is a fun thing to think about... I first started off surfing the interwebs for the characters from games I loved like Tales of (which is where I got it into me to finally start making Tales of characters...for as long as I can remember since I found Mugen). So my biggest hero in that sense would be the guy I'll bet no ones ever heard of. A Japanese creator by the name of Alfred. He's long since quit, but he's inspired me so much to try new things with the outstanding things he's put his time and effort into. And he only ever made 2 characters. Kratos and Leon from the Tales series.

The person who kept me interested in Mugen long enough to find Alfred, however, and someone whom I wish still made characters. Anjel (he/she goes by another name. Vans). Their Iori is one of my all-time favorite Mugen characters. I remember when I first tried making characters I was on a website with a bunch of people who's only concern was making things look nice and being from something cool instead of playing well at all. Some ucoz website I think? Lots of KH stuff. I eventually moved to a forum Anjel used to have and I made a bunch of things looking for his/her approval and I almost got it. Felt good and it kept me going.

Then there's 20S, Cyanide and JMorphman. JMorphman simply because his Chun-Li is up there as one of my favorites along with Anjel's Iori and Alfred's Kratos. 20S because...he's got that cool attitude. Says what needs to be said and gets the job done, yo. He ain't wastin' NOBODIES time! Cyanide because he's always around, always helping the community and probably knows and understands Mugen better than anyone as far as I'm concerned. He has a good eye for things Mugen related I think.

I don't have a #1 or a #2. I look up to all of'em. MAYBE Anjel the most, but for the most part... I respect all of you equally and appreciate all the help and praise I've ever gotten from them. Whenever I make something I won't lie. A part of me hopes they'll give feedback. Positive or negative. I'd just be glad I got their attention you know? The fact that they haven't yet means I'm not doing good enough. Gotta try HARDER!! Though it seems like most people I used to know aren't around as often anymore. Anjel, 20S, Cyanide, JMorphman. WHO ARE YOU PEOPLE?!??! WHERE ARE MY HEROES??! HEROINES?!

(Youtube) (WIP) (Mediafire) (New Anime Shop) My Manga Reviews! Personal favorite Patreon! Check her out!

"There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so."
Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 10:55:23 am by Noctis
#52  April 17, 2015, 11:25:42 am
  • Legendary XIII
  • I am the eye of the storm to come!
    • New Zealand
    • network.mugenguild.com/cyanide/
Anjel and Vans are absolutely 2 different people.

In M.U.G.E.N there is no magic button

They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance.
#53  April 17, 2015, 12:27:41 pm
  • Double-Crosser
  • I'm not standing out. This isn't weird at all.
    • USA
Mixing up Vans and Anjel is like ordering a Tiramisu and getting a Chicken Parmesan instead.
#54  April 17, 2015, 12:49:27 pm
Noctis, like the above guys said, they're two different people. You might have confused them because Anjel is copying almost everything Vans has (avatar, signature, nationality) only thing he can't copy is the name (and the stars), so instead of Vans you'll read Van's.
#55  April 17, 2015, 01:36:55 pm
  • JoJo is boring
    • USA
I look up to myself, because I know I'm the only one who can satisfy my Mugen needs
#56  April 17, 2015, 02:35:25 pm
    • Zimbabwe
    • hephaistos1.wix.com/mugen-palace
- Mr Infinite, because he created this style.He gave me what I wanted in Mugen, Chars with maximum fun.
- Ex Shadow and Margatroid for the stages. Oh guys you can't even imagine the fun I had when I first discovered Ex's stages. And now he is working on 1.1? :D (Margatroid is a beast too).
- Team mates working on portraits and stuff: Hungry Wolf, Noobin and Sai.
#57  April 17, 2015, 07:46:01 pm
  • Hey, I'm Grump!
    • USA
    • soldier.ucoz.net/
Rude. I lost track of who Anjel was years ago, okay? It's not like I follow my "hereos" around and are aware of everything they're doing nowadays. When I first made that post I thought it was Iced at first, but after I made that post I went to go check. I didn't pay close enough attention. A few days ago I saw a Van's or Vans and it said "visit Anjel's profile" and I was like "oh shit, Anjel?!". It was an easy mistake.

(Youtube) (WIP) (Mediafire) (New Anime Shop) My Manga Reviews! Personal favorite Patreon! Check her out!

"There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so."
#58  April 17, 2015, 07:55:24 pm
  • Magna Power
  • Its Hotdog time. Hot.... Dog...time...
    • neofiresonicmugen.webs.com
MageFX and SonicFactor

They made the best sonic stuff in mugen.
this website is stupid
#59  April 17, 2015, 09:31:14 pm
  • The Sweeper
  • Surpass my Aniki
    • Algeria
Well since it was bump anyways why not

I have to go with The None and Melvana for originality and fun factor. The none because his character always have something that make them completly unique over there other version like his magic geese or his segalow. Melvana because witheout his creations there would have been alot of fighting game that I would not even knew about.

There also Kamekaze and Jango. Kamekaze because he pretty much can create anything. I like how he dont focus on one game or on one system and try to do everything. And Jango because he his working on Bob Hoskins Mario , when you try his Pupa you see how much work where done for her not only does she play good but she have alot of minor stuff that make her kind of unique.

Forgot about Drkelexo to. Not only does he make character, but he also make stage and even lifebars Like the jojo lifebars thatt where never finish. There is not alot of person who can do all of this so he is great. He is also a pretty cool guy

adding to my post both niname and amarimono. niname for is grest jjba part3 conversion and ama because he brings alot og char from part 4 and 5
-STREET FIGHTER VI WAITING ROOM-
-DRAGON QUEST XII WAITING ROOM-
#60  April 18, 2015, 01:48:55 am
  • Horrible
    • Sweden
    • http://network.mugenguild.com/anjel/
This is a fun thing to think about... I first started off surfing the interwebs for the characters from games I loved like Tales of (which is where I got it into me to finally start making Tales of characters...for as long as I can remember since I found Mugen). So my biggest hero in that sense would be the guy I'll bet no ones ever heard of. A Japanese creator by the name of Alfred. He's long since quit, but he's inspired me so much to try new things with the outstanding things he's put his time and effort into. And he only ever made 2 characters. Kratos and Leon from the Tales series.

The person who kept me interested in Mugen long enough to find Alfred, however, and someone whom I wish still made characters. Anjel (he/she goes by another name. Vans). Their Iori is one of my all-time favorite Mugen characters. I remember when I first tried making characters I was on a website with a bunch of people who's only concern was making things look nice and being from something cool instead of playing well at all. Some ucoz website I think? Lots of KH stuff. I eventually moved to a forum Anjel used to have and I made a bunch of things looking for his/her approval and I almost got it. Felt good and it kept me going.

Then there's 20S, Cyanide and JMorphman. JMorphman simply because his Chun-Li is up there as one of my favorites along with Anjel's Iori and Alfred's Kratos. 20S because...he's got that cool attitude. Says what needs to be said and gets the job done, yo. He ain't wastin' NOBODIES time! Cyanide because he's always around, always helping the community and probably knows and understands Mugen better than anyone as far as I'm concerned. He has a good eye for things Mugen related I think.

I don't have a #1 or a #2. I look up to all of'em. MAYBE Anjel the most, but for the most part... I respect all of you equally and appreciate all the help and praise I've ever gotten from them. Whenever I make something I won't lie. A part of me hopes they'll give feedback. Positive or negative. I'd just be glad I got their attention you know? The fact that they haven't yet means I'm not doing good enough. Gotta try HARDER!! Though it seems like most people I used to know aren't around as often anymore. Anjel, 20S, Cyanide, JMorphman. WHO ARE YOU PEOPLE?!??! WHERE ARE MY HEROES??! HEROINES?!

Haha, this post made me smile. Cheers.
My shitty mugen stuff: