YesNoOk

Need help with Stage Select Thumbnail/Icons/Pictures etc. (Read 1828 times)

Started by eekeekerson, January 30, 2014, 02:59:23 pm
Share this topic:
Need help with Stage Select Thumbnail/Icons/Pictures etc.
#1  January 30, 2014, 02:59:23 pm
    • USA
    • eekeekerson@yahoo.com
Is it possible in Mugen 1.0, or any mugen version for that matter, to have a Stage Select Image/Thumbnail along with the stage name?

I downloaded a screen pack that had a different image appear for each Title Menu Selection (Arcade, options, etc.)
This inspired me (as im working on my own pack) to leave some room for a black screen in the select menu where the players can choose a map not just based on bland text, but on the actual image just like smash bros. or any other fighting game really.

I understand if this is not possible. I've been up all day and night the past two days making nice backgrounds and working on a couple characters, and finally getting the title section done. The select screen just needs a thumbnail for the stage select, but if this is not possible then ill just change up the order of the character slots. However, if there is a way please let me know. Thank you so much! I Really want this feature!
Re: Need help with Stage Select Thumbnail/Icons/Pictures etc.
#2  January 30, 2014, 04:48:52 pm
  • For the Murder!
yes is possible with a "cheat"
you must make a custom font but instead of characters (a, A, b, B, c....) you'll add images into it. What images? stages thumbnails of course

you'll assign thumbnails to each character inside the font:
thumbnail1 = a
thumbnail2 = A
thumbnail3 = b
etc...

you also need to rename your stages accordingly to thumbnails
stage name1 = a
stage name2 = A
stage name3 = b
and so on

so when selecting stagesmugen will distplay only one character as a stage name (a, A, b, B....) and since your characters are not characters but thumbnails instead, mugen will display thumbnails of the stages when selecting them.
Lord Noble Eye of Dezeroff; High Commander of the Reconnaissance Division, Airborne Corps; Fifth Seat in the Murder's Council; and Duke of Corvus
#3  January 30, 2014, 11:12:56 pm
    • USA
    • eekeekerson@yahoo.com
wow sounds very clever indeed :D  I'll give it a go! I guess Ill let you guys know if I have trouble. Thanks for the wonderful reply!
#4  January 30, 2014, 11:39:24 pm
  • 90's Kawaii
  • :thinking:
    • Guatemala
The old drawback of that method (besides being time consuming) is that colorloss would surely screw you after adding a few stages (they all had to share the same pallete).

The new sff and font formats solved that.
#5  February 02, 2014, 12:36:50 am
  • Portrait Prodigy EX+
    • mugenguild.com/forum/topics/saikoros-high-resolution-mugen-portraits-fatal-fury-full-set-145724.0.html
Aren't select icons like that usually reserved for fullgame projects??
All of your Mugen Portrait needs may be found HERE.

I'd like to report two robots on the MFG forums: One is EXShadow. The other is Saikoro.
There should be a Saikoro plugin for Photoshop.
#6  February 02, 2014, 03:41:10 am
  • For the Murder!
or for someones personal custom mugen....
Lord Noble Eye of Dezeroff; High Commander of the Reconnaissance Division, Airborne Corps; Fifth Seat in the Murder's Council; and Duke of Corvus
#7  February 02, 2014, 03:50:25 am
  • 90's Kawaii
  • :thinking:
    • Guatemala
Aren't select icons like that usually reserved for fullgame projects??

Yeah, it's pretty much the only way to keep a set number of stages. Most people would find bothersome to edit the font file each they downloaded a new stage. That was worse back in the winmugen days when font files weren't neat .sff files.

I don't know it the new format supports extended ascii or a more limited character number. That might be an issue.