YesNoOk

I NOW IDENTIFY AS A HAM SANDWICH OR SOMETHING: MAZEMERALD 2 (for ID purposes) (Read 27247 times)

Started by Inactive user, July 07, 2018, 09:27:19 pm
Share this topic:
I NOW IDENTIFY AS A HAM SANDWICH OR SOMETHING: MAZEMERALD 2 (for ID purposes)
New #1  July 07, 2018, 09:27:19 pm
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 07:25:47 pm by Speedpreacher
Re: I AM NOT AN AUTHOR/CREATOR.... NOW I AM MUGEN DIFF ORGANIZER
#2  July 07, 2018, 09:47:46 pm
  • If you’re gonna reach for a star...
  • reach for the lowest one you can.
    • USA
    • network.mugenguild.com/jmorphman
I think it's very important for those of us who use assets made by other people or companies to always remember that we are not the creators of this stuff, to always hold that in the back of our minds.

But at the same time, I don't think it's that important to quibble over the best term to use when describing people who use assets they have not created in their MUGEN works. "Author", or "creator" can work just as well, and nobody's gonna be confused if they see non-original assets from someone calling themselves a creator. We all can parse the difference!
#3  July 07, 2018, 10:14:11 pm
    • USA
I didn’t mean anything by it, trust me, no one really cares, I definitely don’t. I was just proving a point as certain people will only say something to certain individuals and ignore everyone/anything else. I wholeheartedly agree btw, everything derived from source is an edit. You are making original content, not copying a source, kudos to you. You can call yourself that. Keep doing your thing regardless.
#4  July 08, 2018, 12:49:20 am
    • Canada
I'm curious what prompted this all caps outburst.

it's 2018, the only people who give two shits about sprite credits and such are the same assholes who bitch endlessly about pots edits, mvc edits, source accuracy, and having any sort of fun in general. Ignore them and move on.

Do yourself a favour though, don't start referring to yourself as a "mugen diff organizer." it makes you sound like a pompous douche.

lui

#5  July 08, 2018, 12:59:38 am
    • USA
#6  July 08, 2018, 01:07:07 am
  • Prince of Latis
  • Destroy the Core!
    • Canada
    • Skype - Whiplash-1
it's 2018, the only people who give two shits about sprite credits and such are the same assholes who bitch endlessly about pots edits, mvc edits, source accuracy, and having any sort of fun in general. Ignore them and move on.

This is not true in the slightest.

If I made sprites/code/whatever I would like to be credited in the readme or whatever. It's literally 1 line and all it does is ackoknowledge the effort someone put into  into what they made, I do this for everyone, Capcom, coders, spriters, anything and everyone whose stuff I used to make my creations.

Not doing this would in fact have an adverse effect on MUGEN and creators in general, when people don't recognise the work that went into what you made (or even worse, falsely attribute that work to someone else as they didn't credit your contribution) what would motivate you to make any more?
#7  July 08, 2018, 01:28:12 am
  • Cute Bounty Hunter
I agree, it still takes effort to create a character or stage.  Sprites and sounds still have to be ripped and implemented, code still has to be written, and quality still has to be maintained; and while acknowledgement for doing all that isn't required, it'd still be a respectful gesture.

I mean Fuuki came up with Alice from Asura Buster, but should I ignore cafe for converting her to MUGEN or Brergsart for his own unique take on her?
#8  July 08, 2018, 02:04:41 am
    • Canada
#9  July 08, 2018, 02:15:25 am
 i found the correct name to my kind of work... i am only an editor.

i agree to give credits when the stuff is inexistent because it takes efforts, but when it´s only a sprite made by the own capcom is a absurd one time was the own capcom that made it.
i generally only use own capcom stuff and i think a nuisance to ask me for credits, when the original creator was the capcom and not a simple mugen user.

#10  July 08, 2018, 02:27:10 am
  • I am hilarious
  • and you will quote everything I say
    • USA
Re: I AM NOT AN AUTHOR/CREATOR.... NOW I AM ONLY A MUGEN EDITOR
#11  July 08, 2018, 02:55:22 am
  • Retired
  • Terminally Online
    • New Zealand
    • network.mugenguild.com/devon/
i found the correct name to my kind of work... i am only an editor.

i agree to give credits when the stuff is inexistent because it takes efforts, but when it´s only a sprite made by the own capcom is a absurd one time was the own capcom that made it.
i generally only use own capcom stuff and i think a nuisance to ask me for credits, when the original creator was the capcom and not a simple mugen user.
So the time taken to rip the sprites isn't worth crediting for?

Maybe you should try actually ripping the sprites from the game if you don't think that kind of work takes effort, or at least enough effort to thank the person who did it.
#12  July 08, 2018, 03:19:07 am
  • ¡Ni p*ta ni santa! ¡Digo!

it makes you sound like a pompous douche.

yeah, uh, this kind of uneccessarily aggressive response also makes you sound like that

Oh look, I mentioned the fun police, and here they are.

Don't you ever get tired of being miserable Walruslui?

Aren't you tired of looking like a parasyte? I mean, given your words, if I sprite a WHOLE character from scratch or even spriting from videos or 3D models, won't you have the fucking decency of even mentioning me in the credits? Do you know the needed effort of spriting? Coding? Or you're just another parasyte who sits and.waits for content to be made?

Enlight me.
I swear there was something cool here!!
#13  July 08, 2018, 03:28:21 am
 i am referring me sprites made by capcom,snk or another company.

if i use an inexistent stuff made by someone it´s fair to give credits.

credits are only for inexistent sprites, the normal stuff is totally free.
#14  July 08, 2018, 03:33:04 am
    • USA
it makes you sound like a pompous douche.

yeah, uh, this kind of uneccessarily aggressive response also makes you sound like that

Oh look, I mentioned the fun police, and here they are.

Don't you ever get tired of being miserable Walruslui?
While normally I would agree with you here, just leave it be. This kinda thing always sucks the fun out of things. It’s never going to amount to anything more then unnecessary squabbling. Agree to disagree, can’t be friends with everyone unfortunately. I do, personally appreciate the sentiment of being annoyed at those types things. It started because of what I said, but I wasn’t being serious about it.

Hmm the whole credit thing is finicky. Pretty sure he is just saying not to be so anal about it. Not the showing of respect, but the info not always being there. At least that’s what I assume. You don’t say something doesn’t have to be done then get on them for not doing it. It’s either a thing or it isn’t. It’s either required for “everyone” or no one. Similar to how commissions have been allowed then illegal then cool again, but we all know it depends on whom. Sure he is trying to say, “no one has the right to claim anything they didn’t make from scratch as it to is an edit.” Telling someone something only is an edit was kind of a disrespectful thing in the past, similar to “compilations”.

It’s a respect thing, cool, not everyone is looking into those things, with things being distributed as they are on the web. If it’s clear, cool add it, but specifically with anything not properly documented, understandable. You can ultimately never release anything and never worry about it, but no one has said anything to you besides me & it was just making a point that no one cares about anymore. I apologize, don’t take it seriously. I say, stop suggesting “it’s not required”, but say it is and end that. Though I’m sure no one is downloading every single creation to check are they? Also maybe fix up that database.

I also agree with FeLo, hardcore. Those that sit on their ass 10+ Years still begging for someone to make them content, but parasites.. Damn.. that’s cold.
#15  July 08, 2018, 04:38:51 am
Why should I credit someone for hours of hard work ? what do I look like  ? a retard ?
Credits are for pussies.
#16  July 08, 2018, 04:42:12 am
    • Canada

I'd have to agree with everything you said here, ;X or 2dee or whatever you call yourself now. I'll cop to that.

And I was under the impression we were talking about sprite rips and such, and not getting hung up over terminology.

Jesus, take a fucking chill pill Felo_llop. I'm not endorsing completely stealing characters. Of course I know how difficult spriting and coding are. lol, I found out about mugen from being a snes spriter back in the internet heyday. And I know enough about coding to know I hate coding, hence why everything I've done is a portrait, screenpack edit, or a simple stage that involves more Photoshop than FighterFactory. Since you are the type of person that calls anyone who's a casual a "parasyte" I can tell you are exactly the type of person I was going on about.

There, now do you feel enlightened?

*edit* I accidentally a word
Last Edit: July 08, 2018, 05:28:23 am by Eric The Nihilist
#17  July 08, 2018, 04:54:38 am
    • www.justnopoint.com/
Dee took me 2 month to rip his sprites due to the difficult nature in ripping from PS2 emulators. I'd think a "Credits to JNP for the rips" would be nice.
#18  July 08, 2018, 05:09:44 am
    • https://sites.google.com/site/mgmurrow/
Dee took me 2 month to rip his sprites due to the difficult nature in ripping from PS2 emulators. I'd think a "Credits to JNP for the rips" would be nice.

I agree with you 100%, not that hard to give credit where it is due. Sadly many people just don't have any respect nowadays.

doesn't seem too much to ask

MGMURROW
#19  July 08, 2018, 05:12:06 am
  • Smooches
    • USA
    • Skype - Neocide

^ This It takes way less time to just credit someone then it does to rip,so I don't see a problem giving props when needed. You're giving thanks to someones hard work. Your mom makes you food and you eat it half the time without thanking her even though she spent time and effort cooking. ppl take advantage of things that come so easy to them. And when they don't they feel entitled.
#20  July 08, 2018, 05:30:15 am
    • USA
No one here is flat out saying they aren't, nor feel as though they shouldn't, really read the context here. Some specific things being said. OAN MGMURROW I've seen some things, minor things in your stuff that weren't (100% credited) I've seen many edits of Japanese or unknown authors names changed and it flies because no one cared enough to verify, its always been case specific(usually it has to be popular enough), but this is if one truly wanted to be petty, which was my point. If you all get so hung up over it, just stop saying its not required? I also understand that you are, hmm comparison, not asking for a tip, but courtesy. No need to falsify the context, understand English might not be native to all, the jabs also don't add to much. Its not what you say, its how you say it no? In 2018, look at the people who do try to instigate things, doesn't it just look so silly now? lol

I would have never known you ripped the Dee sprites had I not seen you say it, nor seen you host it yourself and say so.