YesNoOk

Character Poll: Master Higgins and Bomberman (Read 32368 times)

Started by KingPepe2010, June 06, 2014, 06:34:45 pm
Share this topic:

Poll

Who should get in first?

Master Higgins
Bomberman
Character Poll: Master Higgins and Bomberman
#1  June 06, 2014, 06:34:45 pm
  • too obsessed with NES stuff
    • USA
Master Higgins & Bomberman

(These are just concept standing sprites and may be changed in the future. Bomberman's second sprite is based more off of his sprites from the 1st game)
Representatives of: Hudson Soft
First Game: Adventure Island (1986 in Japan) and Bomberman (1985 port in Japan)
Progress: 5% (only concept movesets are done)
So, for the first beta I want to include one Hudson Soft character in at least and it'll be either one of these two. In the final game, they will both be in but I want to know which one you'd rather see first.

Master Higgins
Playstyle: Fast-moving pressure character that can deal a lot of chip damage.

Strengths:
-Fast walk speed and dashes
-Health is above average.
-Can deal quite a bit of chip damage through projectiles and Boomerang Kick.
-Huge combo versatility.

Weaknesses:
-Only reversal uses meter; none of his super attacks offer him all-around invincibility.
-Floaty jump and doesn't have a lot of ways to deal with projectiles.
-Basic attacks don't have a lot of range.
-Slow meter charge

Moveset:

Basics
  • Body Splash (D, Kick; Air Only) - Master Higgin's cross-up move.

Specials
  • Tomahawk Toss (D, DF, F, Punch; can be done in the air) - Master Higgins' projectile. Due to the arc, this projectile doesn't have a lot of range but the startup and recovery on these are pretty fast.
  • Boomerang Kick (B, DB, D, DF, F, Kick) - A hop spin kick that makes Master Higgins move forward and then return to his original position. Useable as a poke. When he lands back in his original spot, he can follow it up with another attack:
    -Punch: Swings his hammer down onto the opponent, needs to be blocked high. Safe but huge startup and doesn't combo.
    -Kick: Slides on his belly. Knocks the opponent down and needs to be blocked low. Pretty unsafe on block.
    -Select: Slides on his skateboard while attempting to hit the opponent with his shoulder. If he's hit during this move, he takes no damage and flies up. (he can still be hit when flying) Knocks down and does more damage than the rest of the follow-ups.
  • Egg Punt (F, D, DF, Kick) - Master Higgins takes out an egg and kicks it into the air. Once it hits the ground or the opponent, it cracks and drops a flower that Master Higgins pick up to gain a little meter. The egg's arc can also hit opponent's out of the air as well. Knocks down on hit.

EX Specials
  • Flame (D, DF, F, Select+Punch; can be done in the air) - Comes out fast and hits 3 times, doing more damage.
  • EX Boomerang Kick (B, DB, D, DF, F, Select+Kick) - Invincibility during startup and drags the opponent in on contact. Follow-ups don't get extra bonuses.
  • EX Egg Punt (F, D, DF, Select+Kick) - Startup is much faster and on contact with an opponent, the egg will drop a grape to restore health (50). It it cracks on the stage, nothing comes out.

Super Attacks
  • Poley Rolly (Level 1) (D, DF, F, D, DF, F, Kick) - Poley appears in front of Master Higgins and then rolls forward. Can roll through any projectile that's not a super projectile.
  • Red Taylor (Level 1) (D, DF, F, DF, D, DB, B, Punch) - Red Taylor appears under Master Higgins and breathes a short-ranged flame in front of him. Does more damage than Poley Rolly in combos. Master Higgins is only throw-invincible but since he rises up on Red Taylor's back, certain attacks can miss him.
  • Don-Don Bomb (Level 1) (D, DB, B, DB, D, DF, F, Punch) - Don-Don flies in and drops rocks along the stage. The rocks don't do a lot of damage but stun on hit.
  • Taylor Assist (Level 3) (B, DB, D, DF, F, Punch + Kick) - Blue Taylor appears next to Master Higgins and follows him around. Whenever Master Higgins attacks, he swings his tail and releases a spark at the opponent.

Bomberman
Playstyle: Highly damaging character with his traps.

Strengths:
-Scary damage output.
-Tons of knockdown options to help him set up bombs.
-Has a ranged attack that is unaffected by projectiles.
-Several anti-airs that can help keep the opponent from getting too close.

Weaknesses:
-Only special move that can be chained into and combo sacrifices Bomberman's health. His juggles are where most of his damage output comes from.
-Only reversal requires him to sacrifice health.
-Specials hit indirectly, require specific conditions to connect or are just plain risky.
-Poking game isn't entirely great, his pokes are either too short or have a bit of startup.

Moveset:

Basics
  • High Kick (B, Kick) - Long-ranged anti-air; goes over crouching opponents.

Specials
  • Dyna Sweep (D, DF, F, Punch) - Bomberman puts a bomb on the ground that blows up after several seconds. Holding backwards keeps the bomb in the same position while holding forwards or no direction will have him roll it along the ground. (Forwards will have him roll it farther) On hit, the bomb can launch the opponent upwards. The bomb itself bypasses anything but is unable to make contact until it explodes.
  • Bomb Toss (B, D, DB, Attack) - Bomberman tosses a bomb in an arc. Holding forwards or backwards will determine the arc it flies in. The attack button you press will determine the bomb's timer. (Kick has a much shorter timer) The bomb itself bypasses anything but is unable to make contact until it explodes.
  • Air Strike (F, D, DF, Punch) -Anti-air special; Bomberman jumps forward with his hand out and if he grabs an opponent, he'll toss them onto the ground with a bomb and it'll explode upon hitting the ground. Has some invincibility in the beginning. Can only grab aired opponents. Will get beaten out by other attacks once the invincibility wears off.
  • Self Destruct (F, DF, D, DB, B, Punch) -Bomberman whips out a bomb, holds it up and it explodes in his face. Bomberman is invincible during the whole start-up of this move and this move can connect after a basic attack. Every time it's used, Bomberman ends up losing health. This move is not safe on block.

EX Specials
  • EX Dyna Sweep (D, DF, F, Select+Punch) - The bomb is only laid on the ground but does not explode on it's own. Pressing A+B will cause the bomb to explode.
  • EX Bomb Toss (B, D, DB, Select+Attack) - Both versions have him throw one bomb with a long arc and a longer timer and another with a short timer and a high arc.
  • EX Air Strike (F, D, DF, Select+Punch) - Drops the invincibility but increases the damage.

Super Attacks
  • Flaming Impact (Level 1) (D, DF, F, DF, D, DB, B, Punch) - Bomberman gains a flame powerup and plants a bomb. It explodes and shoots a flame across the stage and one to the top of the screen. Good to use as an anti-air and avoids projectiles. Only super that can be chained into.
  • Explosive Target (Level 1) (D, DB, B, DB, D, DF, F, Punch) - Bomberman puts on a vest and holds out a bomb in front of him. Upon getting hit, the bomb blows up on both him and the opponent although Bomberman is left undamaged. The bomb will still blow up after a certain amount of time and the explosion can hit but it leaves Bomberman open.
  • Destruction (Level 3) (F, DF, D, DB, B, Punch + Kick) - Bomberman shoulder charges the opponent and on hit, grabs them, tosses them into a pit that appears out of nowhere that's filled with enemies, and then tosses a bomb into the pit, causing the whole pit to explode. The charge comes out super fast, has invincibility at the beginning and is projectile-invincible throughout the whole charge. Horribly unsafe on whiff or block.
might as well put this forum about bootleg games here
BGC Forums

ROS

Re: Character Poll: Master Higgins and Bomberman
#2  June 06, 2014, 07:47:11 pm
Bomberman's playstyle looks intriguing. Wonder how much health he'll have if he has to get rid of life for certain situations.
#3  June 06, 2014, 11:55:30 pm
  • Currently working in 8 bits...
    • Sweden
Tough call.

BTW, an idea, what if Master Higgins had that little fairy floating beside him while he fights? A lot of fighting games uses characters that has some small follower in the background or beside them, like Dhalsim and his wife, Bulleta and her dog, Megaman and Rush and so on.

It would be a nice call back to the item, and her staring role in that odd Adventure Island game "Bug-tte Honey" were you actually played as her for stage 1.

Hell, why not have it that when you select him while holding start, Higgins gets sprite swapped for her?

As for Bomberman, I like the one closer to the NES original more, I know the 1st is more akin to his modern look, but this is Famicom Fighters darnit!  XD

Another idea, and I could sprite it if you like it, since it's Famicom Fighters, what if there would be a character representing the console itself? The Famicom had two controllers connected to itself, and one was equiped with a mike. Imagine a character who uses simhilair tools?

Also, any ideas on a final boss?
#4  June 07, 2014, 12:24:22 am
  • Super Mario Fighters 3 resurrected.
    • USA
    • doraemariby@yahoo.com
Master Higgins. Because he was in Famicom Hisi Tai. Could another move of his be running over the opponent with the skateboard or hatching from a egg, like in said game?
#5  June 07, 2014, 03:09:02 am
    • USA
@Filthy Casual: I'm thinking of somewhere from average (1000) to above-average health. (1050 or 1100?) I think anything lower could cause Bomberman to die way too fast.

@rukifellth: ...ok I might consider using her like that. That's an interesting idea I never thought of. About the sprite swap, you mean swapping Higgins' out for her so you play as her?
The first Bomberman sprite is more of a mix using Bomberman 2's style while coloring it the same way as the first game.
The character idea is interesting although I'm not sure about including it on the main roster. (sub-boss maybe?) I'd like to see the sprite though!
Not entirely sure on a final boss; I'm leaning toward something unlicensed/bootleg because the whole idea of "bootleg = illegal/bad"

@メインキャラクター:  I already have the skateboard being part of a follow-up attack to his Boomerang Kick and the egg is a separate special move.
BGC Forums

ROS

#6  June 07, 2014, 05:05:48 am
So something like Haggar and Lariat in UMVC3?
#7  June 07, 2014, 05:13:01 am
    • USA
Yeah, I was aiming for something like that actually.
BGC Forums
#8  June 08, 2014, 12:31:50 am
    • Sweden
Responding from my last message, yup, I was thinking of using her as a spriteswap, but with a slight advantage in that she floats while in the air, but has lower HP to compensate.

Anyways, here's the concept for the Famicom character:

The colours invoke the original Famicom, and features the controllers as hair decorations, the power glove (who uses the NES palette trick also used to make Megaman's face) and the Disk Drive as shoes, she could have the little Disk Drive mascot follow her around while she fights.

Her fighting style would be based on the different merchandise related to the NES and FAMICOM:

Power Glove, Power Pad (maiby?), Zapper, Microphone, and maiby even the NES Four-Score!
But each tool would be used in a way related to a game that used them, for example, her punches would be based on "Bad Street Brawler" which was made for the Power Glove, The Zapper could be used to shoot down Ducks from Duckhunt to fall down on the opponent, or just plain shoot the opponent, The Mike could be used in a manner like Blanka's electric shock, singing to create a damaging barrier.

Her most basic animations like Walking and Jumping would be based on Donkey Kong and Donkey Kong Jr which were the first Famicom games released (Popeye was also one, but it's based on a cartoon, so nah)

When it comes to Hyper Combos, she could summon three clones to assist her, mimicing the function of the NES Four-Score that allowed 4 player multiplayer.
Another could have her use the Famicom Mike to sing profusely, but terribly, creating harming notes that flies everywhere.
Her most powerful would have her jump on the opponent, stunning the opponent while she bounces ofscreen, only to drive the opponent over with a car, launching the opponent straight into a sign or a tree, whereafter, he/she would be crushed by Tetris blocks.
This move would reference the Nintendo World Championship which consisted of 3 games, Super Mario Bros, Rad Racer, and Tetris.

I just realised she could have a funny winpose where she stand dramaticly towards the background, with the Power Pad as a cape. XD

Hope you like the idea. :)
#9  June 08, 2014, 12:35:14 am
    • USA
    • doraemariby@yahoo.com
What about the mike being like the Mike ability from Kirby's Adventure? And shooting a fireball instead of stomping? And her jumping being like in SMB?
#10  June 08, 2014, 12:49:57 am
    • Sweden
What about the mike being like the Mike ability from Kirby's Adventure? And shooting a fireball instead of stomping? And her jumping being like in SMB?

I considered it, but it would be OP since it would cover the full screen, and the fireball should be kept to Mario, stomping is trickier to hit with.
#11  June 08, 2014, 01:21:12 am
    • USA
    • doraemariby@yahoo.com
What if the mike had slight charge up?
#12  June 08, 2014, 01:27:50 am
    • Sweden
I dunno, we'll see what King Pepe thinks.
#13  June 08, 2014, 10:38:24 pm
    • USA
...I kind of like the idea to be honest. The only thing is that given her originality and the fact she's basically a Famicom in a sense, I'd rather make her a sub-boss that could also be a secret character. Anyways, if you want to continue talking about her, I'd suggest let's continue this conversation in the character request thread. (Just repost your sprites and summary in there) We're going a little off-topic here. ^^;
BGC Forums
#14  June 13, 2014, 08:14:03 pm
    • USA
Well, taking a look at the results right now, Bomberman is the winner.
...might as well start on him soon.
BGC Forums