YesNoOk

Famicom Fighters (Progress Thread) (Read 987312 times)

Started by KingPepe2010, May 26, 2013, 09:08:14 pm
Share this topic:
Famicom Fighters (Progress Thread)
#1  May 26, 2013, 09:08:14 pm
  • too obsessed with NES stuff
    • USA
NOTE: IF YOU WANT TO SUGGEST CHARACTERS, READ THE GUIDELINES HERE AND CHECK THE TOPIC TO MAKE SURE THE CHARACTER YOU'RE REQUESTING HASN'T BEEN MENTIONED BEFORE
Well, here's a project me and a couple of other guys have been working on. For those that don't know or remember me, I originally made a few NES characters for MUGEN a while back such as Hammer Bro, Urban Champion and Donkey Kong Jr. (although the characters here are much better than those) This pretty much takes it to another level. As you could probably tell from the title, it involves various Famicom/NES characters fighting one another. In terms of characters, they range in obscurity, genre and licensing.

This game is still in early development and I'll be honest, some of the stuff like the menus don't look too great at the moment. The controls kind of follow the NES controller's.
A (B in MUGEN) - Light Punch (Press A again for another hit (does not apply to all characters), hold forward and press A for Hard Punch)
B (A in MUGEN) - Light Kick (Press B again for another hit (does not apply to all characters), hold forward and press B for Hard Kick)
Select (Z in MUGEN) - Action (Holding down or no direction summons a helper, holding backwards or forwards will grab the opponent. Pressing it at the beginning of a throw allows you to tech it)
Start - Pause
A + B - Power Charge
A + B + Select - Taunt

Screenshots:

Latest build:
MUGEN version
IKEMEN version
Standalone character pack (Urban Champion, Thonolan, Star Man)

Discord Server:
https://discord.gg/XUUWb46
might as well put this forum about bootleg games here
BGC Forums
Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 10:37:19 pm by KingPepe2010
Re: Famicom Fighters
#2  May 26, 2013, 09:14:30 pm
  • NINJA COP SAIZOU
    • Mexico
This is truly awesome! i love it! only NES veterans can understand this. :2thumbsup:
#3  May 26, 2013, 10:43:15 pm
    • Brazil
    • https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100074220240917
classic and epic
#4  May 27, 2013, 10:56:31 pm
Just tested it and its great so far,cant wait to see whos next in your roster.Bayou Billy perhaps (my Fave as a kid) or Fester from Festers Quest or Link? LOL
             :dadadadaa:
#5  May 27, 2013, 11:48:03 pm
  • He can break those cuffs!
Billy & Jimmy Lee is who I'm rooting for now. Especially after seeing Karate Champ.
#6  May 27, 2013, 11:50:36 pm
  • NINJA COP SAIZOU
    • Mexico
Hey how about Rygar or Jason from Blaster Master. :3
#7  May 28, 2013, 03:30:58 am
  • Every day is night
    • Brazil
    • linktr.ee/Magma_MKII
I bet you'll only use characters from sidescrollers, no?

Some suggestions:

* Lololo
* Kid Dracula
* Pimple
* Nathan Spencer
* Bomberman
* Bill Rizer
* Goemon
* Getsu Fuuma
* Firebrand
* Jackie Chan
* Kirby
* Mega Man
* Ryu Hayabusa
* Spy
* Strider Hiryu
* Konami Man
* The Noid
#8  May 28, 2013, 03:42:21 am
  • Take better care of the plants around u or become
  • the fertilizer that feeds them.The choice is yours
    • Chile
    • network.mugenguild.com/basara/

OMG, always I wanted to see something like this in MUGEN, I'll totally wait for this fullgame :swoon:

Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

Rest in peace, Toriyama-san...
Normal WIPS - ClayFighter - Ideas - Anti-Gouki Project - Lifebars - Facebook - X
#9  May 28, 2013, 06:48:31 pm
    • USA
Just tested it and its great so far,cant wait to see whos next in your roster.Bayou Billy perhaps (my Fave as a kid) or Fester from Festers Quest or Link? LOL
             :dadadadaa:
Bayou Billy (Has a decent chance of making it in, going to need another Konami representative
Fester (Will not get in)
Link (Is already Mario's helper)

Billy & Jimmy Lee is who I'm rooting for now. Especially after seeing Karate Champ.
Pretty good chance that they'll (well, one) will be in

Hey how about Rygar or Jason from Blaster Master. :3
Rygar (Maybe, there's another Tecmo representative that I have in mind so depending on that, Rygar may or may not get in)
Jason (I want to get someone from Sunsoft in but I'll have to figure out how he will play)

I bet you'll only use characters from sidescrollers, no?
It won't be just character from sidescrollers.
Some suggestions:

* Lololo Very unlikely, will probably be a helper
* Kid Dracula Unlikely...although I might have an idea for one of Simon's helpers now.
* Pimple Not sure, his brother Rash is more likely to be in however
* Nathan Spencer Very likely
* Bomberman Also very likely but needs his sprites to be redrawn
* Bill Rizer ...maybe. Given what he has, coming up with a move set will be hard and he might end up becoming a helper.
* Goemon Good chance of getting in, having a Japanese-exclusive character for Konami would be good
* Getsu Fuuma Will most likely be a helper at this point, Simon already has an alt. palette based off of him
* Firebrand Will most likely be a helper.
* Jackie Chan Not getting in.
* Kirby Is already Mario's helper
* Mega Man ...well, might as well blow the secret. He's the next one to be in.
* Ryu Hayabusa This was the Tecmo representative I had in mind originally, very likely to be in.
* Spy If you're referring to Spy vs Spy, won't get in.
* Strider Hiryu Oh man, how did I forget this guy? He might get in.
* Konami Man Forgot him too. Coming up with a move set for him should be interesting...
* The Noid Not getting in.

I made a few NES chars like Thomas and Mr.X from Kung Fu Master and Tetris, maybe can work for your game ;)
Thomas is VERY likely to be in. I won't use your character but I could definitely use some elements from yours. Mr. X and Tetris on the other hand won't be in.

Ok, for those wondering why certain characters got rejected or why they're most likely to be a helper, here's what qualifies whether they get in or not:
  • Main Protagonist - If they were the protagonist of the first game of their series, they're eligible. Exceptions to this:
    • Donkey Kong Series - Mario is already in so someone else would need to take his place for the series. (either Donkey Kong, Donkey Kong Jr. or Stanley)
    • Bootleg Games - It's possible another Mario character could get in but only if their appearance is due to a bootleg game. (EX: Kart Fighter)
    • No Obvious Protagonist - At this point, it would just go by the most popular character or the one that could deliver the most unique play style.
  • Originality - If they didn't derive from another media source, they're eligible. The only exceptions are those whose games were disconnected from their original source material elsewhere. (EX: Shatterhand and Kung Fu)
  • Size - I'm trying to avoid having really small characters for this game. If the character's sprite is too small, they need to redrawn. However, some characters may not look right when resized which will end up keeping them away from being a playable character (but can still be a helper). Examples of this is Kirby and Lolo where if they were made to be big as Mario height-wise, they would be too large in terms of width and it just looks odd.
  • Helpers - The way the helpers work is like this: One helper from the game and two others from the same games/series/publisher. Helpers that do come from another game have to follow the same rules above this. (not counting the size rule) If the character can't get 3 helpers easily, they can't get in.
  • Moveset - This is were most of the characters will miss the chance of getting in, sadly. Here are the guidelines:
    • Obviously, I need to create a decent moveset for them that works in a fighting game and this is kind of hard. A majority of NES games are sidescrollers and some of them are quite projectile-heavy. Of course, I can always make new moves and play around with ideas if I have to but I can't stray too far away from how the character is or how their game was like. (EX: I can easily get away with this in Urban Champion despite what he can only do in his game. The fact he is a brawler leads to so many possible moves I could make up and not stray away from what he is) If I'm unable to give a character a decent move set, they can't get in.
    • I'm trying not to make any clones for this game so if the character doesn't have a unique play style I can come up with, they will not make it in. (EX: Hayate from Shadow of the Ninja won't make it in if Ryu Hayabasa is in since they would end up playing similarly.
    • I'm not including absurd/weird characters such as Tetris. It kind of falls under the first thing I said about being able to make a moveset for them. Even bad characters like Apollo from the Cheetahmen (if he does get in) will be taken seriously.
    • In terms of move sets, I'm only sticking with what's on the console. Nothing from future or past games will be used. Also, don't expect characters to play like they did if they appeared in a later fighting game. (Mario doesn't play like he did in SSB, Mega Man won't be like how he is in the Vs. Series and if they do make it in, Karnov won't be like how he is in Fighter's History and the Ikari Warriors won't be anything like their KOF selves. ) This is actually one of the reasons why Link didn't get in. He would be too similar to his SSB self if he used the tools he had available to him. References are fine though if they're not directly related to the character. (one of Simon's moves might seem a bit familiar to a certain Belmont's skill...)
    • I'm staying away from anyone that heavily relies on weapons to fight. Weapons used in specials and supers is fine but the use of them for every single move is not allowed. There are some exceptions (heck, Simon sounds like he shouldn't be in because of this) but if it's possible to make then punch and kick without it seeming so odd, it's fine. This was another reason why Link didn't get in. Without his sword, it wouldn't seem right to have him fight like that
  • Representation - I'm trying to get characters from games we loved, we hated, were Japanese-exclusive, were American-exclusive and even bootleg games from all different publishers. (Nintendo will probably have the most representation, Capcom and Konami would only get about 3 or 4 characters, Hudson Soft would get 1 or 2, etc.) There's more emphasis on the "classics" with this roster so in terms of the other categories, it'll be kind of limited. (each publisher are allowed only one Japanese-exclusive character) This also means a popular character is more likely to be in. (hence, why Rygar may or may not get in) Characters who represent something specific about the NES/Famicom will also get in as well. (like a FDS represenative...no Disk-Kun probably won't be a character) Also I guess this won't be much of a surprise but females have a higher chance of getting in than males. (you can probably guess which games and characters I have in mind now)

Also, I'm currently looking for someone who is willing to do graphics (fighters and/or portraits, the portraits now are really just placeholders) and animation. The graphics artist we had has been extremely busy lately and even though I can do animation, doing that with programming is really slow for something like this and even then, I don't feel like animating all the time. For anyone doing the fighters, their sprites must fall under 2 palettes (6 colors) not including any projectiles, helpers, etc. The animation needs to be smooth (not like every pixel moves in every frame but unless it's for a throwback to the original game, I don't want any of that choppy, simple animation) It would be great if I could have another hand in this game.
BGC Forums
Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 02:41:44 pm by KingPepe2010
#10  May 28, 2013, 07:27:57 pm
  • NINJA COP SAIZOU
    • Mexico
Whoops! forgot to suggest Ryuhi from Hiryu No Ken, and i totally agree with Magma Dragoon, Rad Spencer has to make it in this game pleeease!  :suttrox:
#11  May 28, 2013, 08:23:52 pm
  • He can break those cuffs!
^100% agree^
Also, how do you feel about some of the anime games that were released on the Famicon? (Dragon Ball Z Gaiden: Saiyajin Zetsumetsu Keikaku)
Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 09:59:12 pm by Koju-kun
#12  May 28, 2013, 08:53:51 pm
  • a.k.a DuckSS
    • https://synckmugencentral667.000webhostapp.com/
my sugestions:
-some bootleg characters from bootleg games it can be awesome
-TMNT characters (but from arcade games not fighting game)
enough to say :P
#13  May 28, 2013, 09:12:54 pm
    • USA
Whoops! forgot to suggest Ryuhi from Hiryu No Ken, and i totally agree with Magma Dragoon, Rad Spencer has to make it in this game pleeease!  :suttrox:

Oh wow, I forgot about Hiryu No Ken. I'll definitely consider about Ryuhi being in.

my sugestions:
-some bootleg characters from bootleg games it can be awesome
-TMNT characters (but from arcade games not fighting game)
enough to say :P

Well I've already mentioned some bootleg characters will be in.
Anyone from the TMNT games will not be in at all as stated in my character guidelines.
BGC Forums
#14  May 28, 2013, 09:35:36 pm
  • a.k.a DuckSS
    • https://synckmugencentral667.000webhostapp.com/
Well I've already mentioned some bootleg characters will be in.

yeah nice! :D
#15  May 28, 2013, 10:00:05 pm
  • ?
    • Canada
    • m_di_g@hotmail.com
So far, so good, but I'd suggest having villains as playable characters. Sometimes we remember a game because of its villain not its hero :p. Also: I recommend Ken/Kevin from street fighter 2010 and Black Mage from Final Fantasy!
And, from what i've played, zelda 2 link should be a regular character, and he wouldn't be like smash Link. Im pretty sure zelda 2 link uses magic instead of his regular items. He could be a slow and heavy hitter. His helper could be zelda? dark/shadow link? maybe ganon?
#16  May 28, 2013, 11:16:19 pm
  • Just A Dude...
  • For me, it was Tuesday...
    • Canada
    • chaoticdarkness.deviantart.com/
Some of the characters from Crash N The Boys/River City Ransom, Star man from NES's Pro Wrestling, batman from the NES games, one of the guys from Battletoads, or the characters from Yie Ar Kung Fu.

Why is it that you don't want to use the ninja turtles though? They even had a port of Tournament Fighters for NES which would make it fairly easy to convert any of them.

Examples below
http://spriters-resource.com/nes/tmnttournamentfighters/index.html
Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 11:22:08 pm by C-G-U
#17  May 28, 2013, 11:21:33 pm
  • A living Mugen dinossaur :)
  • 23 years of Mugen O_o
    • Brazil
    • www.brazilmugenteam.com

OMG, always I wanted to see something like this in MUGEN, I'll totally wait for this fullgame :swoon:

Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

I second that!
#18  May 29, 2013, 12:33:51 am
  • ?
    • Canada
    • m_di_g@hotmail.com
After messing with the build for a bit, somehow another mario appeared on screen. I think its from a helper, but it has happened to me twice so far.
#19  May 29, 2013, 12:50:20 am
    • USA
So far, so good, but I'd suggest having villains as playable characters. Sometimes we remember a game because of its villain not its hero :p. Also: I recommend Ken/Kevin from street fighter 2010 and Black Mage from Final Fantasy!
And, from what i've played, zelda 2 link should be a regular character, and he wouldn't be like smash Link. Im pretty sure zelda 2 link uses magic instead of his regular items. He could be a slow and heavy hitter. His helper could be zelda? dark/shadow link? maybe ganon?
Eh, not too sure on villains yet. If they do get in, they probably won't be playable. Ken/Kevin might get in, I'll have to figure out which Capcom characters are in and which ones aren't. I was thinking of either including the Black Mage or the Thief in the game to represent Final Fantasy. For Link, I'll check over his spells but that still doesn't help with the sword problem.

Some of the characters from Crash N The Boys/River City Ransom, Star man from NES's Pro Wrestling, batman from the NES games, one of the guys from Battletoads, or the characters from Yie Ar Kung Fu.

Why is it that you don't want to use the ninja turtles though? They even had a port of Tournament Fighters for NES which would make it fairly easy to convert any of them.
Alex has a high chance of getting him but if he does, I'm using his Japanese self Kunio-Kun since that was Technos's mascot and he did appear in all of those games. Star Man's another likely candidate and I already stated one of the Battletoads might get in. Oolong from Yie Ar Kung Fu could be interesting, I'll see what I can do with him. The TMNT are excluded pretty much because I want to stick to using the original game characters for this in all honesty and yeah, that kind of means Batman isn't getting in either. (I was aware their fighting game existed...which is why I took sounds from it actually :P)

After messing with the build for a bit, somehow another mario appeared on screen. I think its from a helper, but it has happened to me twice so far.

Did you download the helper bug fix? If you did, could you try replicating that and tell me what occurred?
BGC Forums
#20  May 29, 2013, 01:21:16 am
  • ?
    • Canada
    • m_di_g@hotmail.com
Oh, wasn't aware there was a helper bug fix lol. But I'll tell u how i replicated the glitch anyway: i believe when Fireball Luigi is summoned, u hit him when hes in midair or right when he lands, and he turns into a clone of mario.

Eh, link's range in zelda 2 was somewhat puny. His small sword won't give him much of an advantage. Plus, there's many ways to balance out that slight distance advantage.

Another good ff character that could replace black mage is Maria from Final Fantasy II/2.