YesNoOk

WIP: Ill (from Sr. Pelo's "Johnknee and Ill") (Read 33982 times)

Started by piouqwerty, February 03, 2023, 07:43:18 am
Share this topic:
WIP: Ill (from Sr. Pelo's "Johnknee and Ill")
#1  February 03, 2023, 07:43:18 am
  • PIE-OH-QWERTY
    • USA
Hello!

This is a project I started around Spring of 2020 and have worked on ever since, albiet slowly and periodically. I've been a fan of MUGEN for quite some time and have always wanted to make a character, though I was never able to stick to one project I enjoyed until this one.

I'm a fan of Sr. Pelo's videos and found the idea of making a character from one of his series in MUGEN pretty amusing. I ultimately decided on Ill from Johnknee and Ill for two reasons:

a.) Screenshots from games, videos, etc. are quite tricky to convert into sprites in MUGEN because the engine uses Indexed mode for all the sprites. The limit of 255 colors means that the sprites often can't preserve the colors from the original screenshots very well. However, I realized Johnknee and Ill could prove to be an exception to this because the series is almost entirely in black and white, meaning that the full main palette for the sprites could consist of a large grayscale.

b.) Between the two characters, I decided to go with Ill instead of Johnknee because she had by far the better moveset potential, given her rather aggressive nature in the series.

Here are a few screenshots of the character in action to give you a glimpse of the progress I've made:

In terms of playstyle, I think Ill falls into the setplay/trapper archetype, as most of her specials are centered around putting pressure on the opponent from varying distances and luring them into traps. Her ability to rack up damage is great because of this, but she certainly struggles if the opponent doesn't give her the chance to set up her tools, mainly due to the generally stubby range of her normals as well as her slow walking speed.

This character is not too far from completion as I've done all the basic sprites and animations, and so far I've implemented all normal moves and throws, all special moves (a total of 5), and 1 hyper move.

The things I have left to do include implementing 2 more hypers, adding some extra animations like additional win poses, cleaning up some of the sprites (mainly by removing some weird anti-aliasing around the outlines of the character), and generally fine-tuning the character.

Having worked on this passion project on and off over the course of the past 3 years, my goal is to finish and release Ill at some point this year. My college life keeps me pretty busy so I'm unable to work on the project all the time, but I'll do what I can to finally complete this character.

As for this WIP thread, I'll try to remember to post some more screenshots in the future showing more of what this character can do, as well as screenshots of anything new that I implement. If I ever get around to figuring out how to screen record with audio, then I'll likely make a full video showcasing the character at some point.

Until then, thanks for reading!
Re: WIP: Ill (from Sr. Pelo's "Johnknee and Ill")
#2  February 03, 2023, 09:51:17 am
  • Some guy with nothing better to do in his life
  • Nothing should exist in MIDI
    • USA
It looks pretty good so far, definitely looking forward to this one for sure!

Don't think...obey
#3  May 10, 2023, 12:55:06 am
  • PIE-OH-QWERTY
    • USA
Hello!

This project is still in the works! I've been pretty busy with college the past few months, so I haven't been able to work on this character all that much. Now that the semester's wrapping up, however, I have a lot more time to continue working on Ill. On that note, I'm also going to try and provide more updates here detailing the progress I've made as well as showing off more of Ill's moveset.

In the meantime, here's a short "lose by time over" animation I created during spring break:
https://streamable.com/54nujv

(Apologies if the video quality isn't the best, I'm still kinda new to OBS)

Until next time, thanks for reading!
#4  May 21, 2023, 11:16:20 pm
  • PIE-OH-QWERTY
    • USA
Howdy!

Now that I have a better understanding of how OBS works, I decided to use it to make this update video, which goes over Ill's control scheme, playstyle, and 2 of her special moves:

I'm going to try to do a couple more videos like this every 1-2 weeks, since I think that's what works best for my current workflow.

As for where the character currently stands, I've made some fairly substantial progress this week! I've implemented a Smash-Bros-Styled dodging mechanic, created her level 2 hyper, made some visual and gameplay improvements to some of her special moves, and took care of a few bug fixes and quality of life changes.

I don't have a specific release date yet, but at the rate I've been progressing, I feel confident that I can release the character sometime this summer.

Until next time, thank you for reading!
#5  June 05, 2023, 12:38:48 am
  • PIE-OH-QWERTY
    • USA
Hello once again!

I've uploaded another update video on Ill, which goes over the rest of her special moves, her supers, and some additional info like palettes and victory animations.

Since the last update, I've continued to make fairly good progress on the character. I've begun work on the level 3 super, added a second victory pose, added some VFX and SFX to Draw, Johnknee (as seen in the video), did some work on the AI, cleaned up some sprites, updated some of the sounds, and took care of some minor balance changes and bug fixes.

I'm really excited with how this has been coming along, and I can't wait to share the finished project with you all once it's done!

#6  June 26, 2023, 07:11:40 pm
  • PIE-OH-QWERTY
    • USA
Hi!

It's been a while since I last updated this post so I figured I'd let you know that progress on Ill is still going pretty well! All the moves and animations that I wanted to incorporate are now finished. Now it's a matter of finishing up the AI, cleaning up some sprites that need fine tuning, and other small things like incorporating damage scaling.

I can't provide a specific release date, but I am planning to finish and upload the character sometime in early July! I'll even make a fun video trailer to coincide with the release of Ill.

#7  July 20, 2023, 05:57:54 pm
  • PIE-OH-QWERTY
    • USA