YesNoOk

Elecbyte being a CAPCOM subsidiary (Read 3845 times)

Started by Tony 3rd, August 05, 2021, 12:01:07 am
Share this topic:
Elecbyte being a CAPCOM subsidiary
#1  August 05, 2021, 12:01:07 am
  • Coffee, Chocolate and MUGEN
    • Brazil
    • www.justnopoint.com/sparta/
On a blog about Street Fighter Lore theory, I find this The Mystery of M.U.G.E.N

Nothing that a anyone that spends more that 5 minutes on the community didn't know. Except maybe the part about Allegro. but then...

According to Wikipedia, Elecbyte was a former subsidiary of Capcom, acquiring the company in 2009 before eventually moving under the umbrella of Philips Interactive Media. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Capcom_subsidiaries

Yes. It's wikipedia.
Yes. It's a site about Street Fighter lore of all things
Yes. the guy is deliberately hiding his sources.

This might be, probably is, bull.

I'm still dusting off this account to ask: WTF? Anyone have EVER heard anything about this?!
Re: Elecbyte being a CAPCOM subsidiary
#2  August 05, 2021, 12:52:52 am
    • tehwii@gmail.com
no, because its completely made up
#3  August 05, 2021, 05:37:25 am
  • Hey four stars, whatever that means
    • Canada
    • amidweiz.neocities.org
Backed up for prosperity.This article is a joke once you read the last paragraph

So, while some people may say there’s a shady mystery underneath the famous fighting game engine, the truth is it was created by a bunch of college kids who wanted to do something fun and collaborative. While Elecbyte will continue to vanish and reemerge over the years, it’s simply because those former college kids have lives, jobs, and, possibly, families of their own.

In fact, the only mystery is how this became a mystery at all.

Gives me nostalgia critics the wall review of having one clear narrative then saying no to it. It's mainly going off an anonymous edit in 2016 with no citations.

The only thing interesting I found in it is relating to the Allegro licence
Interestingly, though, Allegro was not originally supposed to be freeware, but swapware.

As my unnamed researcher highlighted above, the creator of Allegro had one request: to give him something in return for using his software. This would mean that there is a possibility that Allegro’s creator had information that pertains to our investigation and perhaps could provide a few clues to the mystery of Elecbyte. So, I reached out to someone who knew more about the creator of Allegro than I did, and they pointed me to one particular post on the creator’s blog that I found fascinating: a bug in the AI of a certain racing game that ended up causing better gameplay.

While this did not do much for the investigation, it did give me some closure for this part of it: the creator of Allegro likely did not know anything about Mugen. First of all, any information he would have had is likely gone forever – the swapware paragraph seen above was written in 1997. Any information that was swapped has long since been deleted. Second of all, the creator of Allegro was working on bigger projects than Mugen – he would literally have no time for it. This means reaching out to him for an interview for this article would most likely be a dead end considering I’d be asking for information that was over 20 years old and he would most likely have forgotten about it.
Which if the licence was like that in 1999 the one could ask him about it. Not sure.of he'd still have the file involving elecbyte but it doesn't hurt to ask.
#4  August 06, 2021, 10:48:17 am
  • Hedgehog Whisperer
  • Red Bull addict
    • Spain
    • xgargoyle.mgbr.net
Pretty suspicious that all his facts are either "sources that do not want to be named" or unfounded information with no citations

However, the article is quite correct until they mention Capcom. From that point, everything is made up. And trust me, I've been involved in mugen for more than 20 years so I know an additional fact or two than the author of that article
XGargoyle: Battle posing since 1979
http://xgargoyle.mgbr.net
http://www.pandorabots.com/pandora/talk?botid=e71c0d43fe35093a  <-- Please click that link
http://paypal.me/XGargoyle  <-- Donations welcome!
#5  August 15, 2021, 10:21:32 pm
  • Know a lot about something
  • So I can be mean but super affectionate
    • UK
Been around the MUGEN scene for a while assuper casual but never been curious about the makers behind it til now.  Was searching and had to sign up when i saw the article Tony mentioned and all you guys replies. Like i just got obsessed in the looking myself but why would we want to know other than to aggravate them? Wouldnt ppl just hound them an demand a new mugen or something? It doesnt seem fair
"Who care if its same time or single, whats wrong with getting intimate with as many people as I want?'
#6  August 15, 2021, 10:35:54 pm
  • Know a lot about something
  • So I can be mean but super affectionate
    • UK
i can be mean more than I care to be sometimes but it just seems kinda low to dig up and reveal these ppls identities just because of "reasons" and "I want a new program" No direct to offense to anybody but just venting lol
"Who care if its same time or single, whats wrong with getting intimate with as many people as I want?'