YesNoOk

Anita Sarkeesian Variety hour! (Read 326198 times)

Started by Iced, March 09, 2013, 06:48:21 pm
Share this topic:
Re: Feminist study of games
#481  July 27, 2013, 09:35:16 pm
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
#482  July 27, 2013, 09:47:06 pm
it is true from what i see. i could see why one would use LP footage to save time, i'd do it if i wanted to talk about a game but didn't want to waste time recording certain scenes, and nobody knows for sure how many of the games that she got with the kickstarter money she actually played. however, "give me money to buy a shitload of games so i can talk about unreleased games and use other people's game footage (without crediting them) for my research" looks scummy no matter what.
#483  July 27, 2013, 09:53:18 pm
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
the other accusation seems more serious, the one where they say the things she is talking are just the material avaliable on tv tropes, although this explains her being unaware of several scenes on the games she talks about.
#484  July 27, 2013, 09:58:58 pm
  • The Goddess Returns
It doesn't help new info has shown up that most of the actual "playing" came from other people's LP's has surfaced
source

Glad you asked:

http://victorsopinion.blogspot.be/2013/07/anitas-sources.html

It doesn't destroy her points(what little points she makes), but it obviously makes her extremely suspect.

Crap, didn't realize you guys already made a 25th page discussing this...

Posted: July 27, 2013, 10:02:38 pm
the other accusation seems more serious, the one where they say the things she is talking are just the material avaliable on tv tropes, although this explains her being unaware of several scenes on the games she talks about.

Don't forget Wikipedia on that matter as well.
http://www.youtube.com/user/busterbladex?feature=mhum

Finally got some vids on here.
Subscribe to me please and who knows, maybe my video walkthroughs will help you one day.......
#485  July 27, 2013, 10:06:53 pm
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
wikipedia doesnt really observe games in feminist povs, but tvtropes I can see doing that.
#486  July 27, 2013, 10:48:06 pm
  • The Goddess Returns
wikipedia doesnt really observe games in feminist povs, but tvtropes I can see doing that.

I meant she got some of her info from her series off of Wikipedia.

Subscribe to me please and who knows, maybe my video walkthroughs will help you one day.......
#487  July 28, 2013, 06:28:23 am
  • Hug Pikachus!
    • USA
Hug the Pikachus!

Hug A Pikachu Today!
#488  August 02, 2013, 03:32:43 pm
    • Germany
So the third Video is out now, I find it kind of funny that she says that the "half naked chippendale" guy in Spelunky HD is not some kind of Cliché or Stereotype.^^

#489  August 02, 2013, 03:38:58 pm
  • Super Mario Fighters 3 resurrected.
    • USA
    • doraemariby@yahoo.com
I believe women and men can both be equals in everything, but to the point of over ficitilization, don't they do it for men too?
#490  August 02, 2013, 03:45:23 pm
Not crediting her sources? If that does not blow her credibility and reputation out of the water, I don't know WHAT will.
That's pretty tame, you forget that those who care about formalities like giving credit are likely to already have found all the other flaws in her presentation (one-sided, taking specific parts out of any context etc.), and those who still give her credit are those who don't care about those things in the first place (they probably won't even hear of it or look for that kind of info).
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
#491  August 02, 2013, 06:46:06 pm
  • Hug Pikachus!
    • USA
Oh, I know all of that too.

But it does bother me that a person with a master's degree would not ask permission to use the footage nor give proper credit to the original creators of the footage. She KNOWS that doing something like this would get her in trouble within a professional or academic setting, yet she still does it.

And, coming from a person who has videos on Youtube, I, too, would get mad if someone used my footage for their purposes without permission or credit.

Not to mention that she has a boatload of money. Is she too cheap to purchase a video-game recording set, buy a few games, and have herself or a hired hand play the game for game-play footage? That would be a mere fraction of all of the money raised, would avoid all of this trouble of stealing people's footage, and could help her avoid mistakes that would give the impression that she is not using the money as intended.
Hug the Pikachus!

Hug A Pikachu Today!
#492  August 02, 2013, 09:53:15 pm
  • much love to r. kelly
man it would be interesting if she did a case-specific study based on genres, companies, etc instead of making broad sweeping statements about universal trends that have little relationship to one another(unless she's tying it into zeitgeist and how the media portrays women, how the era reflects gender roles etc). that'd be cooler than this video series which turns the topic into a game of by playing a game of "look at all these reductive stereotypes i can point out"

too bad it's her doing this study and not someone who actually knows something about the topic
#493  August 03, 2013, 12:51:14 am
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
castle crashers without mentioning of the pink gay knight whose sales were towards breast cancer awareness

reasoning for why dude in distress isnt as bad as damsel in distress
-theres fewer women as heroes in media, nicely ignored there how gaming pushed that envelope for years and not just when "buffy" was popular as she tried to point out.
-women as damsels in distress reinforce the negative perception they are weak and need protection for being women, men being the ones in distress isnt worrying because theres no longstanding tradition of them being peril for being weak because they are men.

-spellunky hd added an option to replace the victim woman with a dog or a chippendale muscled hunk, she complains because a woman can be interchangeable with a dog and then complains that the chippendale muscled hunk doesnt matter because he is a man. The male victim isnt a problem but the woman victim is a problem, how does this woman still get an audience.

fucking fez, really, the game where the creator demanded people to choke on his cock.

>:C>:C>:C She just talked positively about fez for being a good game without bad women representation and then pointed out ghost trick as being a bad game with damsels in distress.

FEZ the game where the author went "CHOKE ON MY DICK", guess she thinks he is right and we should choke on his dick

with her shit eating grin she dismisses monkey island as a game that couldnt be a deconstruction because its based on a MALE perspective and then goes on to give her own concept on how a game would have to be.
her concept that is better than monkey island:
Damsel in distress realizes no one is coming, escapes magically, steals guard uniform, faces a forest of villains and levels up ( wait its a rpg now?) enters her old kingdom to find out she is a traitor so she stealths around finding disguises (wait its a stealth assassin creed game?) to enter the castle face the king and abolish monarchy.

lol she now has a "clips used in this video are used under fair use as scholarship "thing at the end.
#494  August 27, 2013, 08:49:52 pm
Internet Sleuths uncover Anita Sarkeesian's past; Discover a history of lies, scam artistry and (Boyfriend?) Jonathan Mcintosh pulling the strings for personal gain.
http://anongamer.tumblr.com/

that's a lot of words for anyone that still cares about this idiot. not a very interesting read from what ive heard
Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 08:53:24 pm by Titiln
#495  August 27, 2013, 10:01:49 pm
  • The Goddess Returns
Internet Sleuths uncover Anita Sarkeesian's past; Discover a history of lies, scam artistry and (Boyfriend?) Jonathan Mcintosh pulling the strings for personal gain.
http://anongamer.tumblr.com/

that's a lot of words for anyone that still cares about this idiot. not a very interesting read from what ive heard

Sadly, until her video series is done, people are STILL gonna care about this idiot(mainly the Media, just see how Killer is Dead is being treated) and we have to deal with this nonsense.

And I read that tumblr tag, it does have some stuff in there that shows she is pretty hypocritical before becoming the raging "feminist" we all hate, but it's so bland it's pretty hard to see what the point is.

#496  August 28, 2013, 11:20:40 pm
  • Hug Pikachus!
    • USA
Can anyone summarize the information?

I am still trying to wrap my head around this, but all I'm getting is that Anita Sarkeesian is a lying, scamming, con-artist.

Nothing new if that is the case.
Hug the Pikachus!

Hug A Pikachu Today!
#497  August 28, 2013, 11:33:56 pm
  • The Absolute Worst
    • Canada
    • Skype - do.not.even.ask
    • randomselect.piiym.net/
Tropes vs Women in Video Games has easily been worth it just to see Iced get worked up over nothing and make a bunch of Bad PostsTM
#498  August 29, 2013, 03:13:48 am
  • The Goddess Returns

Conveniently portrayed by a strong woman
#499  August 29, 2013, 03:17:44 pm
  • SNK is life
Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 03:31:46 pm by walt
#500  August 29, 2013, 03:28:59 pm
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。