YesNoOk

An Explainer on POTS 'style' (Read 18834 times)

Started by Umezono, September 20, 2019, 04:13:52 pm
Share this topic:
Re: An Explainer on POTS 'style'
#21  November 02, 2019, 09:40:30 pm
    • tehwii@gmail.com
Excuse me for the necro, but which DW characters had Just Defense?
I don't know offhand actually. I am basing this off his readmes where he lists what system mechanics are present in his character, and these often change based on source. Just Defense is among the list, so I wrote this under the assumption it exists in one or more of his characters.

@DW: perhaps its best to tag him

DW

#22  November 03, 2019, 07:17:00 pm
    • USA
    • www.trinitymugen.net
None of my chars have Just Defense. The ReadMe breakdown is just to let everyone know what the chars are capable of and what all mechanics are being drawn from the CvS groove system pool. What I use is a combination of N(primary), C, and S groove. Chain combos are only applied to chars that had them in their respective game(s), and uses the "Morrigan" method that was used in CvS2. They are allowed to chain on the ground, but if they do, are not allowed to special/super cancel from said normals.

In the ReadMe, if the mechanic/function has an "X" next to it, that means the char can not perform said mechanic. I thought about implementing it long ago, but am more aggressive minded when playing, so I honestly prefer Parry. Just Defense is a safer option and more defensive, as mistiming it won't result in you eating a hit. Though not as good for keeping pressure on opponents, which I prefer. The list is just to show people who aren't familiar with CvS2's custom groove options, what they are, and what I used. The X's and O's tell you what you need to know.
#23  November 04, 2019, 04:22:17 am
  • Take better care of the plants around u or become
  • the fertilizer that feeds them.The choice is yours
    • Chile
    • network.mugenguild.com/basara/
Very good and detailed explanation about this "style", congratulations for this thread, even I think this thread should be made years ago...

Also, you should talk about the difficult of making these kind of chars, that a creator should comprehend the system before recreating it, that it's not just only use some of POTS' chars as base and voilá "POTS-style", it's much more than that. Time ago, I tried to recreate some chars in this style and the system surpassed me at the point of cancel those projects and remake them into a more simply CVS2 style instead of becoming a "bad snowclone" creator and making mediocre chars in this "style"

And... if I should try once again (if there's a possibility of that), probably I'd use DW chars as base for the next time

Rest in peace, Toriyama-san...
Normal WIPS - ClayFighter - Ideas - Anti-Gouki Project - Lifebars - Facebook - X
#24  November 04, 2019, 02:22:05 pm
Different people understand different things

for me POTS style is just
CVS2 system character without grove

and why I like it

since too many groves need to remember it give me headache
so POTS style solve this problem. all in one great!
#25  November 10, 2019, 04:19:11 pm
  • Tesla
  • Buy a Tesla
    • UK
I'll be honest, I hate learning new things... but this was very much something I've always wanted to learn about and understand. Thank you so much for making this post. Ironically, before I saw this post, I was actually just about to ask "what is it about PoTS that makes his style of characters a style and not just characters?". Well... you cleared that up for me. So thank you once again for this amazing insight ^_^
♪ This is Major Tom to Ground Control ♪
#26  November 11, 2019, 09:04:36 am
    • Canada
for me POTS style is just
CVS2 system character without grove

and why I like it

since too many groves need to remember it give me headache
so POTS style solve this problem. all in one great!

Pretty much. POTS' play style was definitely ahead of its time and still serves as the sweet spot today.

Anyway, solid breakdown of all the variations. I've prided myself on differentiating my staff of characters from the usual POTS' style as much as possible, but I can sympathize with being on the flip side so it's nice to see this laid out.

Other POTS style influenced styles I can remember off the top are Laquak, Koopakoot, and Kohaku.

I'd also consider Mr. Ansatsuken and Quickfist similar to POTS.
#27  December 03, 2019, 12:23:46 am
  • Standalone Tester for Famicom Fighters
    • USA
Hey Ume, there's another creator named Cruz who's made a few DW styled characters. Would you consider them good enough to be listed in the post? I should point out that Cruz made 2 Arcana Heart characters that are actually 3 button rather than the traditional 6 button style (but are still otherwise DW styled), so if you list them it's probably worth noting.
Last Edit: December 03, 2019, 12:27:23 am by Cyborg Sun
#28  December 03, 2019, 10:48:38 am
    • tehwii@gmail.com
Hey Ume, there's another creator named Cruz who's made a few DW styled characters. Would you consider them good enough to be listed in the post? I should point out that Cruz made 2 Arcana Heart characters that are actually 3 button rather than the traditional 6 button style (but are still otherwise DW styled), so if you list them it's probably worth noting.

I don't really have any idea how "good" they are, but I can certainly list them on the post.