YesNoOk

8 year old refuses to share puppy, is shot (Read 11588 times)

Started by Iced, October 06, 2015, 03:50:27 pm
Share this topic:
Re: 8 year old refuses to share puppy, is shot
#41  October 07, 2015, 07:54:26 pm
Is there even any example of events where someone having a gun saved a life ?
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
#42  October 07, 2015, 08:10:29 pm
    • www.justnopoint.com/
I've seen several videos on my friend's facebook walls showing someone trying to rob a place and someone else with a gun stopping them. Very rarely do they actually hit the perp. But the perp doesn't get to hurt anyone or take the money. Though in most of the videos I always wonder what might have happened to all those bullets that missed.

I just tried to google up a story I'd read about someone getting carjacked and someone with a gun coming to rescue but shot the person getting robbed on accident. I couldn't find that story but it pulled up a lot of stories about ppl stopping a carjacker with their concealed weapon.

With so many ppl carrying you're going to have a mix of both of course.
#43  October 07, 2015, 08:53:55 pm
  • 90's Kawaii
  • :thinking:
    • Guatemala
^The potential collateral damage caused by stray bullets eclipses the cash loss by a lot. Playing hero is dumb.
#44  October 07, 2015, 09:00:31 pm
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
#45  October 07, 2015, 09:11:14 pm
    • www.justnopoint.com/
#46  October 08, 2015, 05:26:59 am
  • [E]
    • Mexico
I'm a horrible person:

#47  October 08, 2015, 06:17:55 am
  • Loyal to the Game
    • USA
    • http://jesuszilla.trinitymugen.net/
But there ARE checks for mental health. It is unlawful for someone with a history of debilitating mental illness to own a firearm.

Here is the federal law:
Under 18 U.S.C. § 922(d), it is unlawful for any person to sell or otherwise dispose of any firearm or ammunition to any person knowing or having reasonable cause to believe that such person “has been adjudicated as a mental defective or has been committed to any mental institution.”

And the law for Mississippi, which could be more strict since the law is quite vague:
Mississippi State Law said:
A license to carry concealed handguns must be issued by the Department of Public Safety (DPS), pursuant to section 45-9-101(2), if the applicant:
Has not been adjudicated mentally incompetent, or has waited five years from the date of his or her restoration of mental capacity by court order;
Has not been voluntarily or involuntarily committed to a mental institution or mental health treatment facility unless he or she possesses a certificate from a psychiatrist licensed in Mississippi stating that he or she has not suffered from disability for a period of five years.

Might as well also share the laws stated by Texas and California since they appear to be the most detailed:
Texas State Law said:
A person is ineligible for a license to carry a concealed weapon if the person:
(1)  has been diagnosed by a licensed physician as suffering from a psychiatric disorder or condition that causes or is likely to cause substantial impairment in judgment, mood, perception, impulse control, or intellectual ability;
(2)  suffers from a psychiatric disorder or condition described by Subdivision (1) that: (A) is in remission but is reasonably likely to redevelop at a future time; or (B) requires continuous medical treatment to avoid redevelopment;
(3)  has been diagnosed by a licensed physician, determined by a review board or similar authority, or declared by a court to be incompetent to manage the person's own affairs; or
(4)  has entered in a criminal proceeding a plea of not guilty by reason of insanity.

The following constitutes evidence that a person has a psychiatric disorder or condition described by section (1), above:
(1)  involuntary psychiatric hospitalization;
(2)  psychiatric hospitalization;
(3)  inpatient or residential substance abuse treatment in the preceding five-year period;
(4)  diagnosis in the preceding five-year period by a licensed physician that the person is dependent on alcohol, a controlled substance, or a similar substance; or
(5)  diagnosis at any time by a licensed physician that the person suffers or has suffered from a psychiatric disorder or condition consisting of or relating to:
(A)  schizophrenia or delusional disorder;
(B)  bipolar disorder;
(C)  chronic dementia, whether caused by illness, brain defect, or brain injury;
(D)  dissociative identity disorder;
(E)  intermittent explosive disorder; or
(F)  antisocial personality disorder.

California State Law said:
A person is barred from possessing, purchasing, receiving, attempting to purchase or receive, or having control or custody of any firearms if the person:
Has been admitted to a facility and is receiving in-patient treatment for a mental illness and the attending mental health professional opines that the patient is a danger to self or others. This prohibition applies even if the person has consented to the treatment, although the prohibition ends as soon as the patient is discharged from the facility;
Has been adjudicated to be a danger to others as a result of a mental disorder or mental illness or has been adjudicated to be a mentally disordered sex offender. This prohibition does not apply, however, if the court of adjudication issues, upon the individual’s release from treatment or at a later date, a certificate stating that the person may possess a firearm without endangering others;
Has been found not guilty by reason of insanity of enumerated violent felonies. A person who is found not guilty by reason of insanity of other crimes is barred from possessing firearms unless a court finds that the person has recovered his or her sanity;
Has been found mentally incompetent to stand trial, unless there is a subsequent finding that the person has become competent;
Is currently under a court-ordered conservatorship because he or she is gravely disabled as a result of a mental disorder or impaired by chronic alcoholism

A person shall not have in his or her possession or under his or her custody or control, or purchase or receive, or attempt to purchase or receive, any firearms whatsoever or any other deadly weapon for a period of six months whenever he or she communicates to a licensed psychotherapist a serious threat of physical violence against a reasonably identifiable victim or victims. Licensed psychotherapists are required to immediately report to a local law enforcement agency the identity of a person who has communicated a serious threat of violence against a reasonably identifiable victim or victims (see § 8105(c)).

Conclusion (as drawn from many other users in this thread): laws don't do shit, especially for criminals who have no intention of obeying the law in the first place.

And in the case of mass shootings, laws especially don't do shit for people who intend to die anyway.

When you add laws, you are only adding more inconvenience to citizens who intend to abide by the law and do no harm to others or their property. As my grandmother would say, "locks are just to keep honest people out."
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

If you use a gun, your intent is to kill. If you use a gun, you are doing so under the following conditions:
  • The life you intend to take will far exceed the damage done from said life had you not decided to take action, and/or:
  • The life you are taking poses a significant danger to either your OWN life or those of your family/loved ones.

Now don't get me wrong: I completely agree that there should be stricter regulations on gun ownership. I personally believe the first step is to actually educate people in gun usage. In fact, in Texas in particular, if you apply for a CHL (Concealed Handgun License), taking a firearms safety course is an absolute requirement. In any firearms safety course, I guarantee that the first thing they teach you is, get this: never point a gun at anything you don't intend to shoot, regardless of whether or not the gun is loaded.

Now what else should they teach anyone who intends to use a gun that might cause them to hesitate in using it so they don't readily blast someone's ass? Shooting someone is expensive as shit! Even if they broke into your home, you still have to prove that your use of a firearm was justified. This doesn't just cost you money, no, it could cost you your very freedom.

And you want to know what could REALLY help all of this? If the media that gets shown to everyone would stop fucking glorifying their usage and teach them to think realistically using at least some of the information which sadly, ought to be common sense. But as we all know, most people don't have that.

And I'm sure we also all agree that the parent(s) who owned the firearms failed to take any precautions in mind whatsoever to prevent a minor from gaining access to a firearm and as such, should not be permitted to own any.
Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 11:25:55 am by Jesuszilla
#48  October 08, 2015, 06:56:26 am
  • Raging Fist
Times like this I wish I wasn't born in a country filled with idiots. Don't get me wrong, There are some good people here and I know that there are good people here on this site and any other site/country, but there are just too many stupid people atm that would rather play with their dicks/pussies/ w/e by every means just to get by instead of being honest caring people that can LEARN let alone pick up and read a book. I never liked the idea of guns, nor have I held one (and possibly never will in life) for reasons of being more of a danger than protection and lets face it: It's a lazy way to get rid of people you don't like for good without showing any care or effort, and possibly have a risk of hearing damage depending on the weapon you have.
Bad enough we got people screaming hypocrite and getting away with it both RL and online, Cops being more bullish, college shootings up the ying yang, and any other bullshit that goes on, and now I see KIDS shooting each other (which I know isn't the first time this happened), this...this draws the line.
Jesuszilla makes a valid point and by all rights I stand by his words and knowledge, but he is right that there will be certain people, be it here in the US or around the world really, that would either don't know/care about the laws just so they can play Grand Theft Auto RL and later on either regret what they have done or just flat out get themselves killed. Shame on the parents for being neglectful on their kids and allow this atrocity to even happen.

#49  October 08, 2015, 01:01:10 pm
  • Horrible
    • Sweden
    • http://network.mugenguild.com/anjel/
Obligatory:
My shitty mugen stuff:
#50  October 08, 2015, 08:52:31 pm
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
But there ARE checks for mental health. It is unlawful for someone with a history of debilitating mental illness to own a firearm.

Then those checks and tests need to be sterner, theres no denying the change that gun laws brought to australia, theres no denying that people like the Oregon shooter had a ton of legal weapons. Theres no denying that you can walk into walmart and get a gun easily.
The columbine shooters tried to make home bombs and failed a bunch of times before deciding to take the easier route and just get some guns.

I think we are all speaking in the same vein here, gun control is needed, far more than what is happening.

Criminals are still gonna be criminal? well duh. Bank robberies will still happen, guns will still be waved around by wannabe gangsters, But when an aspergers inflicted wannabe shooter is trying to get a gun through the black market, hes going to have a lot more trouble finding one at a price he can afford than now where he can just walk into any gunshow and walk out in bodyarmor. The price hike that guns take in the black market when laws are stronger means that a lot less criminals actually end up with guns.

America doesnt live in a vacuum, even New jersey stronger gun laws have decreased gun crime considerably.
#51  October 08, 2015, 09:41:32 pm
where do you draw the line with mental health, though. how many people in the autism spectrum end up doing killing sprees. why should they be denied access to guns
#52  October 08, 2015, 09:53:58 pm
It would be a start to make sure they can't buy 15+ of them :|
#53  October 08, 2015, 10:38:06 pm
    • tehwii@gmail.com
its truthful that tons of laws were broken and no amount of regulations short of beating the parents over the head with a stick and saying "make sure ur kids cant touch this" would've stopped this but stricter regulations on how much ammo and how many guns you can own will stop a lot of would be serial killers. it's a different far more preventable issue. its not going to stop people from buying shit off the black market but it will make it much harder to easily access the means to kill a massive amount of people. to solve gun violence in general tho, education is key. responsible use of guns, violence deterrence, etc.
#54  October 09, 2015, 02:37:38 pm
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
where do you draw the line with mental health, though. how many people in the autism spectrum end up doing killing sprees. why should they be denied access to guns

Im not a psichiatrist to be drawing lines like those, but what do they need them for? If theres a good justificaiton they could persuade whatever team gives out gun permits that they really need them
Wanting them is not a good reason.

I mean, its ridic, look a this
http://bigstory.ap.org/article/9045ea708c8e438796eb15634fda24ad/officials-1-dead-3-wounded-university-shooting-ariz
They have proved again and again they cant be trusted with those.
#55  October 09, 2015, 03:48:21 pm
I really, really like having a nuke at home. I'll never use it, I swear, but I'm just that big a fan of dirty bomb. Ideally I'd get 15 of them.
#56  October 09, 2015, 06:37:21 pm
  • SNK is life
Argh ban the fucking guns already >_<
#57  October 09, 2015, 06:39:35 pm
    • www.justnopoint.com/
There's just way too many in circulation to ever do that. And the culture shock would cause way too many issues.
#58  October 09, 2015, 06:42:53 pm
  • SNK is life
There's just way too many in circulation to ever do that.
So the answer is to keep them in circulation and keep producing more? :S

Is there any scenario where americans consider the fact that it reaches critical mass, and they just stop making new ones?

#59  October 09, 2015, 06:47:45 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
never, guns don't kill people, people kill people.
#60  October 09, 2015, 06:52:35 pm
Im not a psichiatrist to be drawing lines like those, but what do they need them for? If theres a good justificaiton they could persuade whatever team gives out gun permits that they really need them
what do people with aspergers need guns for? the reason is probably self defense like most people. "buddy you don't need this for self defense. you have aspergers. you're socially awkward. your socially awkward aura is enough of a deterrant". what