YesNoOk

Moonlight Drive - An NES bootleg-inspired stage! (Stage Competition version) (Read 5699 times)

Started by mh777, July 08, 2013, 04:04:07 am
Share this topic:
Moonlight Drive - An NES bootleg-inspired stage! (Stage Competition version)
#1  July 08, 2013, 04:04:07 am
  • I'm not a player, I guard-crush a lot.
    • USA
    • mugenorama.smeenet.org/index.html
Welp, here's my entry for the MUGEN Guild Stage Creation Competition of 2013!

Long story time:
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

Long story short: this is a labor of love created from scratch. No rips, just stuff created from hours of research and studying NES/Famicom bootlegs! :)

Features:
-A stage originally designed for 256x240 screens brought into a 320x240 world! (Meaning: it would have been wider on an NES screen, but it's not as wide on a MUGEN screen. See, totally conceptual. ;p )
-Completely original graphics completely drawn by me! Completely.
-Minor super-jump support!
-Animations - blinking stars! The moonlight's reflection in the water!
-No music! Because I can't think of a good song to include (that isn't Moonlight Drive by the Doors. Which would be completely inappropriate, anyways.).

Anyhoo, here's the link for the stage: http://mugenorama.smeenet.org/stages/moondrive.zip

Enjoy, and best of luck to the other participants in this year's competition! :)
Re: Moonlight Drive - An NES bootleg-inspired stage! (Stage Competition version)
#2  July 08, 2013, 05:18:44 am
  • tired
    • Skype - Istillhasnoname
Is finding MUGEN to be more enjoyable to play when you're not wearing clothes an underrated opinion?
Re: Moonlight Drive - An NES bootleg-inspired stage! (Stage Competition version)
#3  July 08, 2013, 05:24:02 am
  • i'm a gay trans lady
  • to hell with this site, find me at mffa or w/e
    • USA
    • Skype - MelvanaInChains
    • www.melv.thedailypos.org/
awesome, totally getting this

as for the music, since i assume there's no NES renditions of songs by the doors, this for laffs?
#4  July 08, 2013, 06:16:27 am
    • USA
Thank you both :)

Canabalt-inspired city scene
You should have done this. :P

I still have what little sprites I whipped up for it still around, and with the pace I work at, perhaps it'll be ready for next year's competition!   :lugoi:

as for the music, since i assume there's no NES renditions of songs by the doors, this for laffs?

Ha, this actually fits well enough for my tastes!  Surprised I didn't even consider music from the actual bootlegs themselves.

#5  July 08, 2013, 02:08:31 pm
  • a.k.a DuckSS
    • https://synckmugencentral667.000webhostapp.com/
nice release maan! :D
so you learned how to make good 8 bit stuff...that's nice (well I know that a little)
so I see koopa on that picture (it's not request),it looks better than mine koopa...
#6  July 08, 2013, 08:57:48 pm
  • ✭HUE HUE HUE✭
You even added the sahdow from the moutains to the lake nice detail.
Just that blue line (Water) between the montains and the reflection looks kinda wrong there imo.
lol this will look good with 8-bits Koopa XD
#7  July 09, 2013, 09:08:08 pm
  • Staying Alive
    • Panama
Created from scratch?? this is already top 5 for me, gotta appreciate that gesture :D
Chilling
#8  July 09, 2013, 10:12:52 pm
    • USA
You even added the sahdow from the moutains to the lake nice detail.
Just that blue line (Water) between the montains and the reflection looks kinda wrong there imo.
lol this will look good with 8-bits Koopa XD

The blue line is supposed to be where the water meets the land.  With the intentionally limited palette I was working with, I had to find a way to show that. :)

Created from scratch?? this is already top 5 for me, gotta appreciate that gesture :D

Yup. Everything you see in the stage was all done by hand. That was one of my goals with the stage.

Again, thanks for the kind words and feedback, folks! :)