YesNoOk

19 minutes - how long working parents give their children (Read 1085 times)

Started by unbeknowNst, July 02, 2012, 04:27:26 am
Share this topic:
19 minutes - how long working parents give their children
#1  July 02, 2012, 04:27:26 am
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-396609/19-minutes--long-working-parents-children.html

This is getting insane. Discuss what you feel... times are getting rougher, parents are working harder, wages are decreasing, and it doesn't seem to get any better (despite) this being an article published in 2006

Daily Mail said:
A typical working parent spends just 19 minutes a day looking after their children, official figures revealed yesterday.
The startling research shows the devastating impact that working full-time has on children who hardly see their parents.
With less than 20 minutes spent with their parents every day, this is only enough time to eat a quick breakfast together or have a couple of bed-time stories.

The Office for National Statistics looked at nearly 4,950 people over the age of 16 in Britain to find out what they do all day.
The findings make grim reading for working parents who already worry that they spend too much time at work - and too little at home.
Parents who work full-time spend just 19 minutes every day "caring for [their] own children", according to ONS's "Time Use Survey", published yesterday.

A further 16 minutes is spent looking after their children as a "secondary activity", but this means that they are doing something else - such as the weekly supermarket shop - at the same time. The findings come at a time when record numbers of women are working as huge mortgages and soaring household bills force them to earn a living.

Official figures show that 12.6million women have a job, compared to just 8.5million in the 1970s.
The ONS looked specifically at working women in Britain and what they do during a typical 24-hour period to create a typical "Diary of a Working Mum".

They sleep less and work more than any other "type" of woman - and still have to do about two-and-a-half hours "domestic work" every day, it reveals. A typical working woman gets nearly 40 minutes less sleep every night than a full-time mother who gets more than nine hours sleep every night.

This is because she gets up earlier to travel into work every day, or spends time every night doing a long list of domestic chores before going to bed. On average, a working woman toils at work for over five hours a day, although this figure appears low because it includes holidays and weekends when no work is done.

Recent research showed that most mothers with young families would prefer to stay at home and look after their children. A survey of working mothers found that just six per cent wanted to work full-time, according to Prima magazine. Half wanted to combine bringing up their children with a part-time job, while more than a quarter wanted to be a full-time mother. They were asked: "In an ideal world, what would you like to be?" Twenty- six per cent said they wanted to be a "housewife and mother". The most popular response, given by 50 per cent, was to be a "mum who works part-time".

Maire Fahey, editor of Prima, said: "In the 1980s, we thought we could have it all and aspired to high-flying careers and happy families.
"But the cracks are starting to show. Family life is suffering and something has got to give."

The new ONS survey shows that life is also extremely tough for fathers with young families, particularly those whose youngest children is under the age of four. They sleep less, works more and do more "domestic" work than any other "type" of man, such as one with older children or one with no children.

A typical father whose youngest child is under four gets less than eight hours sleep a night and does more than three hours of domestic chores every day. They are also working more than one hour a day longer than their male colleagues who do not have children.
Overall, the ONS found that a typical person's 24-hours is mostly spent sleeping, working and watching television, which are the top three activities.

A woman will spend 8.3 hours asleep, 2.4 hours watching television, DVDs or videos and 2.2 hours working.
A man will spend eight hours alseep, 2.8 hours watching television, DVDs or videos and 3.5 hours working.
Just 24 minutes in 24 hours is spent reading, a figure which drops to just 10 minutes for younger people.
Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 04:30:41 am by unbeknowNst
Re: 19 minutes - how long working parents give their children
#2  July 02, 2012, 04:58:46 am
  • Hug Pikachus!
    • USA
This is in the UK.

How about the USA? Is the situation better or worse?
Hug the Pikachus!

Hug A Pikachu Today!
#3  July 02, 2012, 05:27:07 am
  • The Barbarian
  • Most ****able 2013
    • USA
    • Skype - chronostrifeff7h@hotmail.com
I'd assume about the same. Entirely depends on the area though, I can judge that just from being in Northern Virginia vs Southern Pennsylvania(pretty close together), two totally different cultures and totally different family lifestyles. Some parents still make it a point to get the family together for dinner, some hardly give a shit, and some don't really have the option.

I still lay my bets on winning the lottery, once I win that I'll spend 2 hours a day with my wife and children, but only that! The rest goes to Mugen characters!
#4  July 02, 2012, 05:38:46 am
  • Don't be an Anti-Pockite
    • USA
I would agree it depends on the family. Both me and my wife work. But both our jobs allow us to spend plenty of time with the kids. I can see how it would be hard for some families, but I know a lot of guys who have the time and are just not engaged in the children's lives. It is sad.

By the way I am in SE PA as well. Wondering if you thought that was worse or better then VA.

#5  July 02, 2012, 02:31:14 pm
  • Bounty Hunting.....FOR PROFIT!
With the way things are going I am surprised they have even that long. I ran into a family where the child never sees his mom and dad and his grandmother takes care of the child while they begin work at 5:00 am and leave at 12:00 pm. Yeah they make enough to make a living and fund their futures but I don't think they are around long enough to make an impact on their child's life. Life is rough, and sometimes people make sacrifices in order for their children to have a future; but what is that sacrifice worth when the child irresponsibly blows it away if not taught better by the parents who SHOULD be raising them?
#6  July 02, 2012, 09:34:28 pm
With the way things are going I am surprised they have even that long. I ran into a family where the child never sees his mom and dad and his grandmother takes care of the child while they begin work at 5:00 am and leave at 12:00 pm. Yeah they make enough to make a living and fund their futures but I don't think they are around long enough to make an impact on their child's life. Life is rough, and sometimes people make sacrifices in order for their children to have a future; but what is that sacrifice worth when the child irresponsibly blows it away if not taught better by the parents who SHOULD be raising them?

You must be kidding... that is really rough. That is even worse that what I had as a kid growing up. Anyways, in United States it is pretty much like that too. Though since this is America I am talking about, some are very ignorant and will deny anything that will ruin their social status. Some say they have plenty of time when really they have nearly none. But that statistic isn't only true for the UK, it's true for the U.S. too.
#7  July 02, 2012, 10:06:34 pm
  • Don't be an Anti-Pockite
    • USA
As it relates to me, I define "plenty of time" as 2 hours in the morning before they go to school. And then from 3pm - 10pm when they go to bed. So all in all about 8 or 9 hours a day between me and my wife. obviously some days are less and I do occasionally travel for work.  But my kids are all young so they don't really do anything on their own yet. And my wife teaches so we are with them 24/7 in the summer time. I expect the amount of time to go down as they get older because they will be out with their friends more.