YesNoOk

Ikemen GO (Read 1220924 times)

Started by K4thos, May 26, 2018, 03:04:27 am
Share this topic:
Re: Ikemen GO
#1501  March 15, 2020, 10:23:56 pm
  • Hoping for the best, prepared for the worst.
  • 2D Fighting games forever!
    • Brazil
What line did you changed?
Lasagna
#1502  March 15, 2020, 10:28:54 pm
    • edwin@disenowebcostarica.net
What line did you changed?

this line caused Go to crash
menu.itemname.options       = "9" do not put a number here, I just changed it to anything else but a number.

Already reported to devs.
#1503  March 15, 2020, 10:37:15 pm
    • Brazil
So you just changed that and suddenly everything works just like in MUGEN!? Fonts, menus, characters cells!? I have to see that for myself.

Also about the buttons problem, have they pronounced on that already? I feel like the bug report section doesn't get much attention.
Lasagna
#1504  March 15, 2020, 11:08:27 pm
So you just changed that and suddenly everything works just like in MUGEN!? Fonts, menus, characters cells!? I have to see that for myself.

Also about the buttons problem, have they pronounced on that already? I feel like the bug report section doesn't get much attention.

Actually it does get attention, Gacel and K4thos arent exactly that kind of people who answer every report, as everyone they have real-life stuff but they are paying attention here, discord, and the Github.

Here is legacy mugen screenpack working out of the box, maybe some things here or there. I didn't change a single line of code, except the one that was causing the crash.
https://streamable.com/9e2qg

The black line down is my shitty PC not handling properly the recording software.
#1505  March 15, 2020, 11:20:43 pm
    • Brazil
I just tried a screenpack here and...

The options menu was set as = "Options" here, so I don't think that's the same case.
Lasagna
#1506  March 15, 2020, 11:22:47 pm
I just tried a screenpack here and...

The options menu was set as = "Options" here, so I don't think that's the same case.

Interesting, Gacel plans to release a new build today. If so, can you share the screenpack, to see what was the trouble?
#1507  March 15, 2020, 11:25:45 pm
    • Brazil
Lasagna
#1508  March 15, 2020, 11:51:12 pm
There you go... https://mugengermany.com/downloads/?sa=downfile&id=134

Its a very simple screenpack because I wanted to play safe.

I made it work adding the "victory" parameters to system.def, I can see KOF 2001 logo then the select screen is blue similar to KOF 2002 vanilla.

Code:

;Victory screen definition
;This is the screen that is shown when you win a match in arcade mode.
;It will not be displayed on the last match of arcade mode.
[Victory Screen]
enabled = 1
time = 300                ;Time to show screen
fadein.time = 0
fadeout.time = 15
;Winner's portrait and name
p1.offset = 100,20
p1.spr = 9000,2
p1.facing = 1
p1.scale = 1,1
p1.window = 0,0, 319,160
p1.name.offset = 20,180
p1.name.font = 3,0,1
;Win quote text
winquote.text = "Winner!" ;Default win quote text to show
winquote.offset = 20,192
winquote.font = 2,0,1
winquote.window = 18,171, 301,228
winquote.textwrap = w     ;Word wrap
winquote.length = 280     ;Ikemen feature

;-----------------------
;Victory screen background
[VictoryBGdef]

[VictoryBG 1]
type  = normal
spriteno = 100,0
start = 0,0
tile  = 1,1
velocity = 0,1.5

[VictoryBG 2]
type  = normal
spriteno = 100,1
start = 20,13
tile  = 1,1
trans = sub
window = 0,19, 319,160
velocity = -2, 0

[VictoryBG 3]
type  = normal
spriteno = 100,1
start = 10,170
tile  = 1,1
trans = sub
window = 15,170, 304,229
velocity = 0, 0

But I cant find the right resolution for this screenpack(it seems 640x480), I mean it doesnt even have a localcoord parameter. LOL. I would report this later, bug with screenpack that doesnt have a victory screen definition.
Last Edit: March 16, 2020, 12:25:01 am by orochi_kyo
#1509  March 16, 2020, 01:52:49 am
    • Brazil
This is the kind of stuff I'm talking about. With mugen I just put the files in and everything is working.
Lasagna
#1510  March 16, 2020, 02:16:31 am
This is the kind of stuff I'm talking about. With mugen I just put the files in and everything is working.

Sorry If I sound doubtful but even Winmugen screenpacks needs some job to work on Mugen 1.0 and Mugen 1.1, also it is supposed to work that way because these screenpacks we are talking about are made for Mugen.

In your original post, you suggested that people had to adjust here and there "Ikemen you need to manually adjust screenpacks" which is not entirely true. It was not fair to post a Winmugen screenpack which even would probably need some adjustements to work in Mugen 1.0 and higher.

So when you start to make a new engine using other engine stuff, you can expect bugs, this is obvious, sadly when most people report bugs they rarely share the char, the screenpack or the stage that is giving troubles. Devs have to deal not only with bugs but some bad coding from char makers.

I think I should be wasting my time in something else, than discussing why a 15-year-old screenpack isn't working properly when it is probably that doesn't even work out of the box in the last Mugen version.

PS: Maybe I am been living in a cave, but until I remember everything made from winmugen, from stages to screenpacks needed to be converted to work on Mugen 1.0, even there is a thread here dedicated to converting "things" so this idea of just putting things there and everything works just fine, well...
Last Edit: March 16, 2020, 02:45:39 am by orochi_kyo
#1511  March 16, 2020, 03:10:55 am
    • Brazil
Yeah, you're right, I just happen to pick to worst example to make my point, but after using the code you provided the screenpack did loaded, but with no options menu and and char select is messed up.
Lasagna
#1512  March 17, 2020, 12:03:37 am
  • "OHHH YES!"
    • Canada
If Mugen was doing things wrong with simultaneous buttons, please don't fix what is not broken. The important thing is that it works from the front end user.  When Gacel build was by 0.70 version, the problem wasn't that serious, but it just getting worst.
It kind of was broken, though. It made button holds detect earlier than two button press, leading to very.....funky results, including variable input latency (which you can tangibly notice), inconsistencies with various cancel windows, and it also made button inputs fall 1 frame behind directional inputs, which is its own can of worms. Two button press lags about 2 frames behind directional inputs, vs. regular button press which is about a frame. This makes things like Flash Kicks extremely hard in regular MUGEN if the character's pre-jump frames are like, 3. Doubly so if they involve two button press.

IMO if the goal is to make a better engine for designing fighting games, fixing things like this is important as well. They could just as easily add a specification that allows you to check for buttons the old or the new way based on the choice of the user, but I'd almost always take the new way because it handles them logically.

What's funny is that this is just one of (many, MANY) problems with MUGEN's default command interpretation.

But are there truly grown men in this world?!
#1513  March 17, 2020, 04:05:57 am
    • Brazil
The things is, fixing this problem created a bigger one, I doubt that mugen creators will convert their characters to ikemen, so then we're left with a major gameplay issue. I'm backing Orochi_Kyo in this one, "don't fix what ain't broken" unless you have an actual solution that won't generate compatibility issues.
Lasagna
#1514  March 17, 2020, 08:56:47 pm
  • One of Ikemen GO devs
    • Colombia
If I would know how the command parser works I'll have fixed the compatibility for it a long time ago.
The problem is.
I have absolutely no idea on how the input parser works. :S
But wait!! We haven't made the Suave Dude character yet!!
#1515  March 19, 2020, 03:27:20 am
  • WIP: Tons and tons of IKEMEN stages
Can't you just detect the character version (as in the mugenversion parameter) and adjust how the input parser is read, from that?

If the character is for IKEMEN since version XYZ, you have it parse commands more accurately. Otherwise, use MUGEN defaults.
Current release: SF vs MK, fully interactive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bM9DpmVXOA
#1516  March 20, 2020, 04:27:28 am
    • Brazil
If I would know how the command parser works I'll have fixed the compatibility for it a long time ago.
The problem is.
I have absolutely no idea on how the input parser works. :S

Have you tried to contact K4thos about it tho?
Lasagna
#1517  March 20, 2020, 11:27:06 am
  • Resident Tosspot
  • Pftheh
    • UK
    • plasmoidthunder.neocities.org
The only person other than SUEHIRO to have touched the buffer is Neat Unsou.

Oh, I want a diagram. I fucking love diagrams.
#1518  March 20, 2020, 06:10:11 pm
    • USA
Hm, I can't seem to build my own ikemen_go.exe since I haven't updated it in a long time. Tried to installed using "https://github.com/Windblade-GR01/Ikemen_GO/wiki/Building-on-Windows" on both of new laptops but I can't seem to get it. Keep getting this "cannot find package " here is an image.

https://i.postimg.cc/Dwp4zqkt/Go-Lang-can-t-find-package.png

Some help will be nice if anyone has any idea. I won't be able to reply immediately since siblings wants to play together. I will still try fix this even if I don't get an answer but it would be nice  ;)
#1519  March 20, 2020, 06:28:40 pm
    • South Africa
#1520  March 20, 2020, 08:28:40 pm
    • USA
Oooooh I didn't know that. Its because I bookmarked on the building on windows that I must've missed it. That is what I get from relying on old methods......  :bigcry: hahaha thanks man  ;)