YesNoOk

Open Source Mugen (OSM) (Read 45540 times)

Started by masterunix, January 22, 2009, 09:24:54 am
Re: Open Source Mugen (OSM)
#461  April 06, 2009, 08:40:07 pm
Yes, and hopefully that one is still a very simple compiler

my turn to ask questions !

When doing some test with a cns file i came across something i didn't expected:

Code:
[State 1]
type = Helper
trigger1 = NumHelper(303) = 0
trigger1 = IsHelper = 0
trigger1 = p1name = "apocalypse"
trigger1 = time = 200
helpertype = normal
name = "head"
id = 303
postype = p1
pos = 0,0
stateno = 306
keyctrl = 0
ownpal = 1
priority = 1

[State 191, 1] ;Assert this until you want "round 1, fight" to begin
type = AssertSpecial
trigger1 = Time = [0,240]
flag = Intro

[State 500, 1]
type = ChangeAnim
trigger1 = time = 200
value = 191

[State 500, 1]
type = ChangeAnim
trigger1 = time = 220
value = 0

[State 3300, 1]
type = PlaySnd
trigger1 = Time = 0
value = 0,6

[State 3300, 1]
type = PlaySnd
trigger1 = Time = 180
value = 0,12

[State 3300, 1]
type = PlaySnd
trigger1 = Time = 200
value = 0,13

[State 3300, 1]
type = PlaySnd
trigger1 = Time = 160
value = 0,10

First the states are not grouped like i expected,  here state 500,1  and the statedef 500 is not even around....  all unrelated states without their statedef "header" (ok i can eventually live with that it's not much a problem)

but there is 4  "[State 3300, 1]"   , so ? whats going on here??   if i try to apply what i know of game logic i guess only the last one will be kept by the legacy mugen engine,  unless i missed something and all 4 state are kept ???  But in that case, i don't see the point to have those nice numbers after "[State " if there are nearly useless.

Your knowledge greatly wanted here.

edit : this is Apocalypse.cns   file in case of you wonder
#462  April 06, 2009, 10:01:02 pm
  • Snake Man
    • tunglashor.webnode.com
Yeah, as far as I know those numbers serve no purpose other than for human readability - you can even leave them out altogther.  I found it weird too  :confused:
#463  April 06, 2009, 10:18:22 pm
So,  what should i deduce from your answer ?

all 4 state are valid in that case?
Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 10:58:47 pm by Chaotikmind
#464  April 06, 2009, 10:32:23 pm
  • Legendary XIII
  • I am the eye of the storm to come!
    • New Zealand
    • network.mugenguild.com/cyanide/
[state]

Defines a state controller. Mugen seems to be happy with whatever is inbetween those 2 brackets except when you're actually defining a statedef, in which case it has to be [Statedef ####]

Mostly they're for debugging. Allows you to label each state controller uniquely so when you get

Error in statedef 1000

error in state 1000
error in trigger1

You can change it so it says error in state 1000,1

Helps you figure out what is and isn't causing bugs. Due to mugens copy paste nature, it's pretty easy to just paste things around the place. Changing the number involved is often boring and people skip it. Most of mine these days read state 0, or state 200. Very rarely will they match up to the state they're in unless i wrote them out.

In M.U.G.E.N there is no magic button

They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance.
#465  April 06, 2009, 11:00:20 pm
oki , order  in which i find  statedef and state is what matters so.

syntax should really be more strict...

thanks for your help
Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 11:03:24 pm by Chaotikmind
#466  April 06, 2009, 11:13:49 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
I tend to name them by group.

So I have

[statedef 300]

[state basic]
[state basic]
[state basic]

[state movement]
[state movement]
[state movement]

[state hit]
[state hit]
#467  April 06, 2009, 11:38:17 pm
Frankly i prefer you way ,
it was quite disapointing to find those completly unrelated value in that cns (i was using the kfm as reference before)

i just had to delete code to integrate that knew knowledge into the parsers, so it's great finally !

i still have some stupid issue with the interval operator  , and i should be able to check compiler ouput afterward
(provided the postfix converter work as expected, but i don't see why it shouldn't)
#468  April 07, 2009, 10:32:35 am
  • Legendary XIII
  • I am the eye of the storm to come!
    • New Zealand
    • network.mugenguild.com/cyanide/
I would have no issue moving to that method of doing things. Although i'll need to get out of my current habits. Really that's more organised and lets you copy paste at will without worrying about the actual content of the state itself.

Implementing that from this point on.

In M.U.G.E.N there is no magic button

They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance.
#469  April 07, 2009, 08:33:19 pm
  • In after lock
    • mugenguild.com/~messatsu/index.html
Everything between "[State " and "]" can be treated as a comment.

Another Mugen quirk.  IIRC, unless the string is meant to represent something containing multiple arguments, only the first character is actually read and interpreted regardless of what is stated in documentation.

Many people risk their lives everyday by having Mugen.
#470  April 10, 2009, 10:50:16 am
    • Romania
    • negative-edge.net
so ... anything new ? >_>
#471  April 10, 2009, 11:28:00 am
  • Waiting for Alpha version
    • opensourcemugen.mugenportal.com
We have planned to take MUGEN to a new level of gaming experience.

However we can not say too much about it as this moment.

If there is anything new, Chaotikmind will inform you.

Sorry for the delay.
#472  April 10, 2009, 11:39:32 am
    • Romania
    • negative-edge.net
#473  April 10, 2009, 11:41:38 am
can we just have an open source mugen-clone and worry about taking it to the next level later? everything i have wanted to happen in mugen i was able to code, i dont want to use something like mugen for a new gaming experience, i have a pc among other systems for all the gaming experiences i desire. The beggining of this topic talked about a modest little engine that anyone can build upon because it will be open source. just show us something that works like mugen and isnt plagued with problems, and im not talking about mugen errors that can be fixed in the cns, just be sure its totally playable, and totally customizeable...like this M.U.G.E.N program i have heard one or two people mention :O
#474  April 10, 2009, 02:21:30 pm
can we just have an open source mugen-clone and worry about taking it to the next level later? everything i have wanted to happen in mugen i was able to code, i dont want to use something like mugen for a new gaming experience, i have a pc among other systems for all the gaming experiences i desire. The beggining of this topic talked about a modest little engine that anyone can build upon because it will be open source. just show us something that works like mugen and isnt plagued with problems, and im not talking about mugen errors that can be fixed in the cns, just be sure its totally playable, and totally customizeable...like this M.U.G.E.N program i have heard one or two people mention :O

Open Source Mugen was planned to make a MUGEN clone that is 100% compatible with the WINMUGEN engine including the chars, stages and so on.

Now i was thinking we have a lot of clones and in general people are still playing with WINMUGEN anyway.

However i am the only one who pay the programmer from my own money, so i am changing the plan as a project manager. Chaotikmind is doing his job.

We will get a MUGEN clone which is 100% compatible with WINMUGEN, but first Chaotikmind is going to make a lot of changes to try something new and if he has time he will finish the MUGEN clone and make it open source.

Sorry for the delay.
Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 03:19:01 pm by mugenportal
#475  April 10, 2009, 03:48:15 pm
    • ynvaser.extra.hu
but first Chaotikmind is going to make a lot of changes to try something new and if he has time he will finish the MUGEN clone and make it open source.
That's dumb. Get it running first, change stuff later!
#476  April 10, 2009, 04:17:09 pm
but first Chaotikmind is going to make a lot of changes to try something new and if he has time he will finish the MUGEN clone and make it open source.
That's dumb. Get it running first, change stuff later!

We will see what is going to happen ... Chaotikmind is busy to do some test after that we will decide what we will do. However Open Source Mugen will be still open source, free and 100% winmugen compatible ... so if we all have patience we all can enjoy OSM.
#477  April 10, 2009, 04:29:41 pm
Slow down lol !

I said i wanna try something new, that's sure.  but i will not integrate it directly in the engine, it's too much work for now,
i stick to the plan   

when developping, it's a good rule to have something working FIRST,   and adding fancy thing AFTER

my tests will be separated from the engine,  and it's not a simple thing i can try in 1 or 2 days ,
so it's left aside for now until i finish compiler and the VM   

The compiler start to produce output, it's not now that i should do something else, better to stay inside that part of the code while it's still "hot" in my mind
#478  April 10, 2009, 04:32:16 pm
I think it's better than everyone can test and see progress.
if i remove the actual character system , and put the new "planned" one instead,  it could take ages before beta.
#479  April 10, 2009, 07:27:36 pm
  • Head on!
    • kevinamlewis.wordpress.com
Woah, what are you implying? That the old way of coding characters is going to be reinvented? o_O

As intriguing as that is, I agree that all that fancy stuff should be put on hold. We really just want something playable at this point.
The Red Threat has arrived in Gilta Nnea. Nine heroes are prophecied to defeat him, but no one knows who they are. When a journey to the Hollowlands unites players in an all-out war, the stage is set for the heroes' rise. This is their battle. METAL SHADOW
#480  April 10, 2009, 07:57:57 pm
  • In after lock
    • mugenguild.com/~messatsu/index.html
Can we stop criticizing the direction of the project?  It's their project, they can do whatever the hell they want, call it Mugen and it not be the same thing in the end (or whatever they are doing).  Also, a beta will be out when it's out.  Be more patient.

Many people risk their lives everyday by having Mugen.