YesNoOk

gaming news that don't deserve their own thread (Read 2633748 times)

Started by Titiln, October 30, 2011, 05:13:58 pm
Share this topic:
Re: gaming news that don't deserve their own thread
#7141  December 06, 2015, 08:17:16 pm
    • Philippines
    • https://web.archive.org/web/20181226221429/http://moogen.piiym.net/
I don't remember 1 and 2 ever being ported on the IOS. The ports of 3 and 4 were ports of the DS remakes so they actually have quality to them.
#7142  December 06, 2015, 08:29:38 pm
  • The story begins with who's gonna win
    • USA
Because 1 and 2 are ports of the PSP versions, which were updates actually done with care, and 3 and 4 are the DS versions with better textures and a smoother framerate (although I think the UI is ugly as sin) so overall an improvement.

Basically, they spent the time, effort and money earlier for actual gaming systems and just did the basic work to port them. With V and VI since they didn't have something better to throw up there and they knew the majority of people playing games on phones don't give a crap they just slapped a shitty filter on the sprites, threw them on a 3D background and called it a day.
Nevermind, there's nothing I can do
Bet your life there's something killing you
It's a shame we have to die, my dear
No one's getting out of here alive
This time
What a way to go, but have no fear
This time
It's a shame we have to disappear
This time, this time, this time
#7143  December 06, 2015, 08:36:07 pm
  • ゴゴゴゴゴ
they just slapped a shitty filter on the sprites, threw them on a 3D background and called it a day.
Nah, the sprites are remade, supposedly by the artist who worked on the originals! But they're so goddamn awful, the enemy sprites are fine, the characters though...
#7144  December 06, 2015, 08:48:38 pm
  • The story begins with who's gonna win
    • USA
Nah, the sprites are remade, supposedly by the artist who worked on the originals! But they're so goddamn awful, the enemy sprites are fine, the characters though...

Ew, that just makes it worse. That means that this is probably the best effort they can give and it turned out looking like something someone threw together in a few days.
Nevermind, there's nothing I can do
Bet your life there's something killing you
It's a shame we have to die, my dear
This time
What a way to go, but have no fear
This time
It's a shame we have to disappear
This time, this time, this time
#7145  December 06, 2015, 08:54:04 pm
  • ゴゴゴゴゴ
Found it:
The in-game sprites and menu portraits have been remade by Kazuko Shibuya who also made the original sprites for Final Fantasy VI.
This was plain inconceivable to me the first time I read it. There's just so many things wrong with the charcter sprites, again, the enemy sprites are gorgeous but the character sprites are goddamn horrible, the overall palette in the game is too bright (And here I thought that the GBA one was bad) and they decided to add stuff like diagonal movement and then there's the whole run button thing.
#7146  December 06, 2015, 10:10:54 pm
    • Philippines
    • https://web.archive.org/web/20181226221429/http://moogen.piiym.net/
Diagonal movement was to make it friendlier for phone touch screens. There's really no excuse in them using FF Dimension's character sprites though.
#7147  December 06, 2015, 10:43:50 pm
    • Philippines
Yakuza 5 is available for pre-loading right now if you pre-ordered!
#7148  December 08, 2015, 09:34:57 pm
    • USA
#7149  December 08, 2015, 11:36:16 pm
  • This is going to be very entertaining.
    • USA
#7150  December 09, 2015, 12:20:17 am
  • Still lurks regularly, but posts once a blue moon
    • Canada
#7151  December 09, 2015, 01:50:00 am
  • Arbiter of Novel Trivia
    • USA
Yes, because no high-profile developer asking for millions of dollars for their game has ever extended their deadline before, and certainly not extremely recently.

I know it's the internet cool guy thing to do to shit on Tim Schafer but it kind of relies on people willfully ignoring the fact that crowdfunding is accounting for only a very small fraction of the development of this game.
well thats a part of why people shit on him they are also mad at him over the whole GG thing too. so it just compounds the hate that people already felt for him.

lui

#7152  December 09, 2015, 06:46:39 am
    • USA
#7153  December 09, 2015, 07:12:12 pm
Yes, because no high-profile developer asking for millions of dollars for their game has ever extended their deadline before, and certainly not extremely recently.
1: not everybody reacted positively to lab zero extending the deadline
2: their crowdfunding record is much better than schafers
3: schafer extended the deadline not even a week after the game was announced, unlike lab zeros

i know you like schafers shit but dont pretend he hasnt fucked up big time wrt crowdfunding
#7154  December 10, 2015, 03:58:15 am
  • Your sweet baby brother
  • Young, dumb, and full of...you know ;)
    • USA
    • dcastaneda2011@yahoo.com

DMK

#7155  December 10, 2015, 10:17:29 am
  • 141⅔% chance of winning
    • USA
    • www.twitch.tv/ThisbeDMK
I always love their special editions.
#7156  December 10, 2015, 05:21:57 pm
  • ↑←↑
  • Dream-Colored Chaser
    • Bosnia and Herzegovina
#7157  December 10, 2015, 05:32:55 pm
  • Oh look, I changed this thing.
    • USA
    • mega491@yahoo.com
Oh snap! It's out, and I don't get money until next week... : (
#7158  December 10, 2015, 06:26:23 pm
  • SNK is life
That game looks great, I would play it :D
#7159  December 15, 2015, 12:32:36 am
    • USA
John Romero uploaded today a video of his SMB3 PC build he made in the 90s: https://vimeo.com/148909578

Some background info:

A year earlier, John Carmack and John Romero had built, from the ground-up, a PC port of Nintendo's Super Mario Bros. 3, at the time a remarkable feat given PCs weren't supposed to be able to handle side-scrolling like a console could. Initially a crude demo using characters from a Romero game built for Softdisk called Dangerous Dave, (and which they christened Dangerous Dave in Copyright Infringement) the guys eventually had Mario looking so good, and so faithful to the original, they contacted Nintendo about licensing the game from the Japanese company for release on the PC.

While Nintendo of course turned the offer down instantly, another party had become secretly interested in the team's work. With games like Dangerous Dave attracting a cult following, a representative from publisher Apogee began writing to Romero under the guise of a fan, so as not to alert Softdisk, as he had every intention of luring the guys away to make their own games for a living using the concept of shareware, which would see part of a game given away for free to tempt people to pay for the whole thing.

Tempted by this offer, and capitalising upon the platforming technology they'd built for the Mario demo, the team whipped up a side-scroller called Commander Keen, released in December 1990, which quickly became a hit. Keen was a small boy transported into a science-fiction saga, armed with a trusty laser pistol and defended by an oversized...Green Bay Packers helmet.
#7160  December 15, 2015, 12:53:16 am
  • üks kurb olend
    • Finland
They reused the sound effects for Keen.
conscious dreamers can be treasurer to their own currency
im a conscious dreamer
therefore i can be treasurer to my own currency

i can be the mind controller