YesNoOk

Huge Frogger (Huge Keal) -WIP- [Update 1: Palette] (Read 5174 times)

Started by AScapeRunePlaya, June 20, 2012, 11:18:51 pm
Share this topic:
Huge Frogger (Huge Keal) -WIP- [Update 1: Palette]
#1  June 20, 2012, 11:18:51 pm
    • USA
I've decided to give the character making process a shot, and I've chosen to use this spritesource in order to make Huge Frogger (Huge Keal in the Japanese version) from King of the Monsters 2.

Just to give a quick opinion on KOTM2, it's a pretty good Beat-'Em-Up for the Neo-Geo. It got an ok but close-enough port on the SNES but improved the one on one battles on the Genesis version, which was mediocre in the Arcade/SNES. Of course, with a good one on one battle on the genesis, the Beat-'Em-Up part of the game was non-existant. I say get the Genesis version if you prefer competition over cooperation.

However, taking elements from the Arcade and Genesis (and somewhat from the SNES), I've decided to make this character as accurate to the versions as I could, with the Arcade sprites.

The only real problem I seem to be facing at the moment is palettes so no need to remind me of that. Along with how to make projectile/fireball attacks (as shown in the video) and of course, complicated throwing moves.

The video itself should provide a good example of the work I've done thus far.

http://www.youtube.com/embed/HHeDgfSxSPY
Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 08:20:40 am by AScapeRunePlaya
Re: Huge Frogger (Huge Keal) -WIP-
#2  June 20, 2012, 11:21:54 pm
  • Limited time to use Infinite power !
    • France
    • network.mugenguild.com/cybaster/
You should really slow down creation until you figure out the palette thing, otherwise you'll have to redo the entire SFF.

For a step by step tutorial of how to do it, you may want to read my stage tutorial (chapter 1) :
http://mugenguild.com/forumx/index.php?topic=104470.0

Good luck.
#3  June 20, 2012, 11:27:15 pm
    • USA
Thanks. I'll have a look at your tutorial.

I unfortunately don't have Photoshop so that's why the palette looks badly inaccurate.

If I do ever get my hands on it though, I can definitely get much more progress done.
#4  June 21, 2012, 03:42:30 am
nice to see some love for the King of Monsters games, great success on this wip my friend
#5  June 21, 2012, 05:10:20 am
  • Young Coder
    • USA
wait so are you still working on the pal to get the background not to show up or are you improving the colors in the pal?
mugen or nothin

#6  June 21, 2012, 06:07:08 am
    • USA
nice to see some love for the King of Monsters games, great success on this wip my friend

I'm glad to have worked on this, but I still have a lot more to learn. This is only the beginning.

wait so are you still working on the pal to get the background not to show up or are you improving the colors in the pal?

http://spriters-resource.com/arcade/kingofmonsters2/hugefrogger.png
This is his sprites (and my source) from the Arcade version. I want to make him look like that in terms of color but I lack Photoshop, so the palette will have to be on hold for a while.
#7  June 21, 2012, 07:25:52 am
  • Young Coder
    • USA
ahh ok thanks for clearing that up  :)
mugen or nothin

#8  June 21, 2012, 08:25:32 am
You could always pirate it, it shouldnt be that hard.
#9  June 21, 2012, 01:05:40 pm
  • Portrait Prodigy EX+
    • mugenguild.com/forum/topics/saikoros-high-resolution-mugen-portraits-fatal-fury-full-set-145724.0.html
Now this is great to see. I'm really looking forward to how he progresses. Congrats on your first genuine WIP.

And damnit man, I'm hooking you up with PhotoShop come Sunday. It'l make paint look like betamax!!
All of your Mugen Portrait needs may be found HERE.

I'd like to report two robots on the MFG forums: One is EXShadow. The other is Saikoro.
There should be a Saikoro plugin for Photoshop.
#10  June 21, 2012, 04:17:22 pm
  • Every day is night
    • Brazil
    • linktr.ee/Magma_MKII
Definitely following this one!  :sugoi:
Re: Huge Frogger (Huge Keal) -WIP- [Update 1: Palette]
#11  July 02, 2012, 08:23:12 am
    • USA
UPDATE!

Fixed the palette (Looks much more accurate now)
Found a way to work the projectile attack (but needs fixing)
Other info found in the video description

WHAT NEEDS DOING

Fixing the death animation (and possibly adding a special death, as seen in the arcade)
Adding intros for Huge Keal
Hyper Combo additions
Fixing the control scheme
Sound collection

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N67r8roQY8U
#12  July 02, 2012, 08:29:06 am
  • Your Channel 6 News Anchor is in another Castle!
    • dcat.mugen-infantry.net/
You're keeping his sprite shadow AND having the mugen engine draw shadows for him as well? Or are the shadows still on his sprites for alignment purposes since its still so early into development?
#13  July 02, 2012, 08:47:05 am
    • USA
You're keeping his sprite shadow AND having the mugen engine draw shadows for him as well? Or are the shadows still on his sprites for alignment purposes since its still so early into development?

After looking at a few characters in MUGEN, I see what you're saying.

The shadow is part of the sprite, but removing the shadow and readding the colors where it's needed shouldn't be too hard.
#14  July 02, 2012, 09:11:55 am
  • Your Channel 6 News Anchor is in another Castle!
    • dcat.mugen-infantry.net/
Might be a good idea to leave it for now if that's how the sprites are being aligned - Looks like you've lined everything up perfectly so far from the video you posted. You can always remove them once you've got his .SFF all put together, good luck!
#15  July 02, 2012, 09:23:32 am
    • USA
Thanks DCat :)
#16  July 02, 2012, 01:17:03 pm
  • Portrait Prodigy EX+
    • mugenguild.com/forum/topics/saikoros-high-resolution-mugen-portraits-fatal-fury-full-set-145724.0.html
Ah man. This video brought a smile to my face. Awesome job thus far; you've done an incredible job considering you just got into character creation. I am very impressed.

And just so you guys know, he is my brother. Mugen talents run in our family!!  :sugoi:
All of your Mugen Portrait needs may be found HERE.

I'd like to report two robots on the MFG forums: One is EXShadow. The other is Saikoro.
There should be a Saikoro plugin for Photoshop.