YesNoOk

2022 Character Updates (Read 1207721 times)

Started by PotS, January 15, 2022, 10:28:50 am
Share this topic:
Re: 2022 Character Updates (Morrigan added)
#241  March 22, 2022, 08:05:30 pm
    • Brazil
I have the week off from work so I'd like to progress a good bit in these updates. Expect several releases. Probably. Another one:

Morrigan:
- Aimed for more of a Darkstalkers feel
- May have made her too strong :8):
#242  March 22, 2022, 08:16:32 pm
    • Brazil
Ooooooh, I love the new things. Have you considered adding Harmonious Spear to her moves? That move from MvC:I?
#243  March 23, 2022, 03:01:38 am
Hello

Morrigan version

.Air Darkness Illusion:    D, DF, F, D, DF, F, k (air)
can't hit air target but only ground target.

by the way

like the new FX :)
and the new aspect ratio.
Last Edit: March 23, 2022, 03:17:44 am by beterhans
#244  March 23, 2022, 01:40:00 pm
  • 1-Up
    • tonibarra.tripod.com
Sorry, I really don't want to add fuel to your update burnout, but here are some problems I found with the new Morrigan.

- Both versions of Darkness Illusion only work with the opponent on the ground. In the air, they just get knocked out of the rest of the attack:
https://streamable.com/mlalar
https://streamable.com/iez4a6

- Something isn't right with her directional buttons on side switch. For example, in this video, the only direction I hold is up+right, nothing else:
https://streamable.com/gat72e

And on a purely personal level, I preferred the curved projectile trajectories from the old version's Finishing Shower. There's nothing wrong with how it works now, I just think the old version looked nicer.
#245  March 23, 2022, 03:33:10 pm
    • Portugal
    • network.mugenguild.com/pots/
Thanks again.

Ah. It was trying to input the jump after the hit as opposed to during it. I think it would be a good idea to increased the cancel window a bit to maybe a frame or so after the hitframes.
I think the input is already pretty lenient because you can simply hold up during the entire animation, kind of like MvC launchers.

Damn. I actually have the same thing happen to me at times.
Sometimes I even have the tendency to scratch something off my to-do list even though I didn't actually add or change it.  :confused:
If it's not on the list, it counts as done. :8):

Half the reason I posted these updates early was actually to keep myself accountable. What happened many years ago was that as soon as I'd get bored of updating my chars, I'd pack everything in my external HDD and leave it for a few years. It's harder to do that after I already told you I'm releasing them.

Ooooooh, I love the new things. Have you considered adding Harmonious Spear to her moves? That move from MvC:I?
I'd completely forgotten about that move, hehe. But it's actually pretty cool. It's not in my plans, but if I were making the char now I'd probably want it.

Hello

Morrigan version

.Air Darkness Illusion:    D, DF, F, D, DF, F, k (air)
can't hit air target but only ground target.
- Both versions of Darkness Illusion only work with the opponent on the ground. In the air, they just get knocked out of the rest of the attack:
https://streamable.com/mlalar
https://streamable.com/iez4a6
Completely unintentional. It's a bad interaction of the old system with the new one. Fixed.

Sorry, I really don't want to add fuel to your update burnout, but here are some problems I found with the new Morrigan.
I didn't really mean it like that. If anything, your feedback helps me finish sooner.

- Something isn't right with her directional buttons on side switch. For example, in this video, the only direction I hold is up+right, nothing else:
https://streamable.com/gat72e
I was hoping no one would notice. ;P It's already fixed.

And on a purely personal level, I preferred the curved projectile trajectories from the old version's Finishing Shower. There's nothing wrong with how it works now, I just think the old version looked nicer.
Yeah, I can see the pros of the old look. But I had a few good reasons to change it.
You can help with Ikemen GO's development by trying out the latest development build and reporting any bugs on GitHub.
My Mugen and Ikemen content can also be found here.
Last Edit: March 23, 2022, 03:42:34 pm by PotS
#246  March 23, 2022, 04:05:05 pm
    • Brazil
I'd completely forgotten about that move, hehe. But it's actually pretty cool. It's not in my plans, but if I were making the char now I'd probably want it.
I like it too, it's great. I hope you consider it for a later update.
Re: 2022 Character Updates (Geese added)
#247  March 24, 2022, 04:23:02 pm
    • Portugal
Today I bring you Geese. This one is mostly a routine update.
You can help with Ikemen GO's development by trying out the latest development build and reporting any bugs on GitHub.
#248  March 24, 2022, 05:05:09 pm
  • "Forgeddaboudit"
  • Squawkabilly
    • Romania
    • wf4123.neocities.org
Dieyabo that is!
#249  March 24, 2022, 07:42:01 pm
  • 1-Up
    • tonibarra.tripod.com
Nice  :)

Edit:
I noticed that some of your characters will automatically do a second attack whenever one of the faster ones is parried.
Characters I noticed doing this include Ryu (far standing LP and crouching LP), Dan (both standing and crouching LP), Lei-Lei (both standing and crouching LP), Sakura (standing LP, crouching LK), Shin Gouki (standing close LP) and Vega (standing and crouching LP).

https://streamable.com/k5j5na

Also, not sure if it's that important, but with the exception of Morrigan, Sakura and Yuri, most of your revised characters can only low parry Pocket Shin Gouki's standing LP.
Last Edit: March 25, 2022, 04:23:40 am by Toni
#250  March 25, 2022, 09:39:24 am
    • Portugal
I have to pay you a compliment because you tend to pick up things that are hard to notice. :)

But by the chars you mentioned, I'm guessing it's something I fixed around the time of Yuri's update. So everyone updated before her will have that happen.

That reminds me, I don't release updates for the same char every week because I don't want to bother people with downloading them so frequently, but if there's any issue that particularly bothers you, just tell me and I'll update them again.

As for the Pocket Shin Gouki interaction thing, that's just how it is, I guess. If you're wondering why, the parry code in my first chars only detected if the opponent was standing or crouching, so they had to parry PSG light punch standing. The "new" code detects exactly where the attack hits (like the source games), so since PSG is so short they can probably low parry 90% of his attacks.

Another thing, what would people want in a configuration file? I currently have this in mind:

- Use custom or screenpack system effects
- Use custom or screenpack system sounds
- Disable stun
Last Edit: March 25, 2022, 09:55:31 am by PotS
#251  March 25, 2022, 02:54:59 pm
Hey, Pots. I just wanted to say, you've been giving me something small to look forward to about every week for the last few weeks. My feedback isn't super specific, and it's taking me a while to play through everyone. But here's some highlights. Sorry if these notes aren't relevant anymore.

I really love the "walking backward" floating animation for Bison/Vega. Is that a little nod to the Alpha series? I haven't played anything past Third Strike/Alpha 3/CVS 2 so I'm sure there's a ton of modern references that I'm missing. The animation really does add something unique to him in my opinion. I also like how his air stomp can hit grounded opponents. I don't remember if that was in the previous version. I've had a lot of fun trying to chase everyone on the ground with it. Anyways, this Bison is great, and a lot more fun to play with than the previous version. And that one was already a mainstay in my build! I thought you would add ex-moves with this version, but like you said, I'm not sure if he needs them. I thought I would miss them but I don't.

I love the update to Morrigan. I just got back into Mugen two years ago. I hadn't actually played using your previous Morrigan until then. This one is superior in every way. I'm glad you finished her. I think I've probably been hoping she would get finished since I started playing with the other version. Between your characters and Jmorphman's BB Hood, there's a really good influx of Pots-style chars that still feel like Darkstalkers lately.

Your new Sakura is incredibly smooth. I love everything you incorporated. I like how she can slam the breaks on when she dashes. I'm not sure if that was in the previous version. I do miss her Shunpuu Renkyaku on the ground. I think that was in the previous version, but I can't remember. I'm a big fan of Alpha 2 Sakura, and even with all of her additions, I think this is the most "Alpha 2" feeling Sakura that I've found. I think maybe it's her recovery roll that she has that makes me feel that way. This and bison might be my favorite that you've released.

Lei Lei is great too. At first, she took a second to get used to. I didn't like the yellow after images for her EX moves at first, because I had gotten used to the old version. But this version is awesome!

I love your Guy. Is there a reason he doesn't have wall jump? That's my favorite thing to do with Guy. I just kind a love hopping around for no reason like a ninja. Haha. Either way, I love these updates. I just wanted to share my appreciation.
#252  March 25, 2022, 03:38:02 pm
I have to pay you a compliment because you tend to pick up things that are hard to notice. :)

But by the chars you mentioned, I'm guessing it's something I fixed around the time of Yuri's update. So everyone updated before her will have that happen.

That reminds me, I don't release updates for the same char every week because I don't want to bother people with downloading them so frequently, but if there's any issue that particularly bothers you, just tell me and I'll update them again.

As for the Pocket Shin Gouki interaction thing, that's just how it is, I guess. If you're wondering why, the parry code in my first chars only detected if the opponent was standing or crouching, so they had to parry PSG light punch standing. The "new" code detects exactly where the attack hits (like the source games), so since PSG is so short they can probably low parry 90% of his attacks.

Another thing, what would people want in a configuration file? I currently have this in mind:

- Disable stun

A config file sounds good if its not to big of a hassle for you.

Can I just ask, are the chars in your links the most up to date ones or are you holding back on minor updates to release them later ?

Thanks.
#253  March 25, 2022, 03:44:53 pm
    • Portugal
Hey, Pots. I just wanted to say, you've been giving me something small to look forward to about every week for the last few weeks. My feedback isn't super specific, and it's taking me a while to play through everyone. But here's some highlights. Sorry if these notes aren't relevant anymore.
Your feedback put a smile on my face. :) It's easy to forget that telling people what you like can be as useful as telling them what you don't like.

I really love the "walking backward" floating animation for Bison/Vega. Is that a little nod to the Alpha series?
It is 100% a nod to Alpha. He already had that animation in his Final Psycho Crusher, and I thought it could be used more.

Your new Sakura is incredibly smooth. I love everything you incorporated. I like how she can slam the breaks on when she dashes. I'm not sure if that was in the previous version. I do miss her Shunpuu Renkyaku on the ground.
She still has Renkyaku. What I did is make the timing more strict and deliberate. In the old version you could do the input at any point during Shunpukyaku, but now you have to do it right before Sakura lands.

I'm a big fan of Alpha 2 Sakura, and even with all of her additions, I think this is the most "Alpha 2" feeling Sakura that I've found. I think maybe it's her recovery roll that she has that makes me feel that way.
It could be because I made her velocities more accurate, or that she has her far reaching "close" hard punch from that game. Funny that you should say that because SFA2 is one of my favourite games to consult for gameplay.

This and bison might be my favorite that you've released.
So you might be a good person to ask: should I make Bison's supers into charge moves? On the fence about it.

I love your Guy. Is there a reason he doesn't have wall jump? That's my favorite thing to do with Guy. I just kind a love hopping around for no reason like a ninja. Haha.
He does have wall jump. Could you tell me which engine version did you use to test him? And maybe which stage?
Or maybe the issue is that you're trying to wall jump with F or B. I never liked that input for it, so my chars use UF or UB instead.

Either way, I love these updates. I just wanted to share my appreciation.
Thanks. It means a lot to me. I know many people have already updated my chars in one way or another, but it's nice to see people can still appreciate the classics.

Can I just ask, are the chars in your links the most up to date ones or are you holding back on minor updates to release them later ?
The online versions are always going to be a bit behind because I update something (minor) almost every day, so keeping them up to date would be overkill right now.
#254  March 25, 2022, 04:59:18 pm
Your feedback put a smile on my face. :) It's easy to forget that telling people what you like can be as useful as telling them what you don't like.

I'm glad!

It is 100% a nod to Alpha. He already had that animation in his Final Psycho Crusher, and I thought it could be used more.
I just assumed it was a commissioned animation. That's really clever!

She still has Renkyaku. What I did is make the timing more strict and deliberate. In the old version you could do the input at any point during Shunpukyaku, but now you have to do it right before Sakura lands.

That's good to know! I'm glad it's still in there. I was missing it!

It could be because I made her velocities more accurate, or that she has her far reaching "close" hard punch from that game. Funny that you should say that because SFA2 is one of my favourite games to consult for gameplay.

Alpha 2 is one of my all-time favorite games. Every time I find a Mugen character that plays like Alpha 2, it makes me smile. There's not a lot of them out there...Or there's not as many as you would think. ...haha

So you might be a good person to ask: should I make Bison's supers into charge moves? On the fence about it.

I'm down for whatever. I do like the ease of being able to pull off two quarter circles to perform a super. What if you made a really OP final super where you had to learn some crazy charge commands.

I'm never good enough to pull off Akuma's raging demons or Rock's neo rave combos. For really intense top-shelf supers, I kind of don't mind never being able to do them. I just play with what I know even if that's limited. I kind of like having the basic supers be quarter circles, but that's just me.

He does have wall jump. Could you tell me which engine version did you use to test him? And maybe which stage?
Or maybe the issue is that you're trying to wall jump with F or B. I never liked that input for it, so my chars use UF or UB instead.

It must be how I'm trying to wall jump. I used the old version in Mugen 1.1 and now I'm using IKEMEN GO v .98.... I think it's just user error on my end. I switched to Adamskie's Guy because the wall jump was easier for me. I'll go back and test yours when I get some time!

Thanks. It means a lot to me. I know many people have already updated my chars in one way or another, but it's nice to see people can still appreciate the classics.

I've been at home more over the last two years, because of quarantining and having to work from home. It was nice to stumble back into this hobby from high school and to see how much everything had grown. Everybody who has created something for Mugen or IKEMEN, I feel really thankful for. Everyone gave me something to occupy my mind for this period in my life. Also, my fighting game skills got a lot better. I went to a local Guilty Gear Strive casual play get together, and won a couple of matches easy...and I think it just came from having better fundamentals after playing through so many brutal MUGEN ai's!

Your work especially was fun to discover. At the time, every character felt like an optimized memory of the characters that I used to play. Like I was looking through rose-colored glasses remembering old games. Thanks again!
#255  March 25, 2022, 05:37:51 pm
  • I must continue my training...
Just downloaded your last four release updates. As expected they are S tier quality. But..

-The hit sound plays after Yuri's EX Saifa even when it doesn't connect.
-Poc Shin's super portriat is doesn't show all the way on zoom stages if you're zoomed out(which is prolly cuz zoom lol)

I also like that Geese laughs a little bit to himself when he completes Deadly Rave.  :8):

Do your best to become stronger. Become stronger, so you can do your best.

Mugen is a way for me to remain nostalgic with all of the dream matches I cooked up as a kid. It's also what I call a "Digital Action Figure Collection."
MaxBeta link=topic=155656.msg1876950#msg1876950 date=13867
Vegaz_Parrelli...also known as The Lord of the Rings.
[/quote said:
Last Edit: March 25, 2022, 05:40:56 pm by Vegaz_Parrelli
#256  March 25, 2022, 05:52:22 pm
  • Formerly known as HyperClawManiac
  • Competitive MUGEN when?
    • UK
    • sites.google.com/view/ragingrowen/home

Interesting to see you skip ahead to Geese, but if there wasn't much that needed to be done with him I guess it's understandable.

Here's my feedback:

- I think Raimei Gouha Nage could do with a throw miss voice for consistency.
- I might suggest making EX Reppuken shorter in terms of FX because I feel it's kinda misleading compared to the hitbox.
- Not really feedback, but The Sudden Rarity made a Double Shippuken voice for me a long time ago which can be used for EX Shippuken: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YppXRB88Ig24x1zEAKZXMTJEABDg-Rse/view?usp=sharing
- Might I suggest making the each hit of Jaeiken do the same damage instead of leaving the big damage til last? I'm not a fan of when specials or supers' cancellable hits deal minimal damage because I'd rather go straight for the next move if that's the case.
- Thunder Break's background flashing is cool but can be rather distracting. Might I suggest softening the flash?
- MAX Kyokuu Reppu Zan could do with added movement on the 3rd hit to make up for the lack of the longer range blast.
WIP Schedule:
The next Street Fighter All-Stars update
#257  March 25, 2022, 07:43:50 pm
    • Portugal
I just assumed it was a commissioned animation. That's really clever!
Well, when I said he already had it, I meant I'd already made it. ;P

Just downloaded your last four release updates. As expected they are S tier quality. But..

-The hit sound plays after Yuri's EX Saifa even when it doesn't connect.
Fixed.

-Poc Shin's super portriat is doesn't show all the way on zoom stages if you're zoomed out(which is prolly cuz zoom lol)
I'm using Mugen 1.0, so I admittedly haven't tested them as much as I need to under 1.1. It sucks because I have to keep copying the chars from one folder to another (in Ikemen I can just point the select.def to Mugen 1.0's folder). Will look into that.

I also like that Geese laughs a little bit to himself when he completes Deadly Rave.  :8):
Legendary voice actor.

- I think Raimei Gouha Nage could do with a throw miss voice for consistency.
You're right. But I think the reason I didn't add it was the animation would need more frames for it to make sense. Since it's a move you only use to OTG, I don't think it's a big deal.

- I might suggest making EX Reppuken shorter in terms of FX because I feel it's kinda misleading compared to the hitbox.
I'm afraid making it too short would stop being FF1's Reppuken. But you're right that it's a bit mismatched. I'll look for the sweet spot.

- Not really feedback, but The Sudden Rarity made a Double Shippuken voice for me a long time ago which can be used for EX Shippuken: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YppXRB88Ig24x1zEAKZXMTJEABDg-Rse/view?usp=sharing
Forbidden access over here.

- Might I suggest making the each hit of Jaeiken do the same damage instead of leaving the big damage til last? I'm not a fan of when specials or supers' cancellable hits deal minimal damage because I'd rather go straight for the next move if that's the case.
I know what you mean. But in this case I think it's balanced by the fact Jaeiken gives you a massive window to super cancel.

- Thunder Break's background flashing is cool but can be rather distracting. Might I suggest softening the flash?
Will try to.

- MAX Kyokuu Reppu Zan could do with added movement on the 3rd hit to make up for the lack of the longer range blast.
I actually went and compared screenshots, and the 3rd hit hits further than the Lv1 blast. It's misleading, I guess, hehe.
#258  March 25, 2022, 07:53:46 pm
  • Formerly known as HyperClawManiac
  • Competitive MUGEN when?
    • UK
    • sites.google.com/view/ragingrowen/home

Forbidden access over here.
Fixed. Try again.

I know what you mean. But in this case I think it's balanced by the fact Jaeiken gives you a massive window to super cancel.
Well my argument there is that there aren't too many situations where you can cancel into it such has his Heavy's unless you use the LK version.
WIP Schedule:
The next Street Fighter All-Stars update
#259  March 25, 2022, 09:09:35 pm
If you're going to make a config file for all characters, i feel that a system change should also be good (ex: changing Lei-Lei to be more based on darkstalkers like with your old version)

on a unrelated note, i guess people already pointed it out but i feel denjin hadouken is too nerfed for my tastes, not being unblockeable until full charge makes it hard to use in my opinion
#260  March 25, 2022, 09:50:59 pm
    • Brazil
    • chng.it/QbGdS8rbnh

- Disable stun

Those are good options.

May I suggest adding "simplified" commands, as well? Or at least for the characters that have charge supers and the like;