YesNoOk

Ray McDougal by R@CE AKIR@ & Dampir Updated 11/2/2020 (Read 29847 times)

Started by R@CE AKIR@, November 01, 2020, 01:01:57 am
Share this topic:
Re: Ray McDougal by R@CE AKIR@ & Dampir Updated 11/2/2020
#21  November 02, 2020, 06:42:54 pm
  • I must continue my training...
His standing roundhouse is missing some frames.

Do your best to become stronger. Become stronger, so you can do your best.

Mugen is a way for me to remain nostalgic with all of the dream matches I cooked up as a kid. It's also what I call a "Digital Action Figure Collection."
MaxBeta link=topic=155656.msg1876950#msg1876950 date=13867
Vegaz_Parrelli...also known as The Lord of the Rings.
[/quote said:
#22  November 02, 2020, 06:58:17 pm
  • This big boy spitting out 250 rounds a minute!!!
    • USA
    • https://infiniteff.forumotion.com/t533-all-chars-by-rce-akir-jeanne-d-arc-released
#23  November 02, 2020, 07:38:50 pm
  • I must continue my training...

Do your best to become stronger. Become stronger, so you can do your best.

Mugen is a way for me to remain nostalgic with all of the dream matches I cooked up as a kid. It's also what I call a "Digital Action Figure Collection."
MaxBeta link=topic=155656.msg1876950#msg1876950 date=13867
Vegaz_Parrelli...also known as The Lord of the Rings.
[/quote said:
#24  November 03, 2020, 02:49:48 am
  • The Lord of Vampire
  • Member of the Reign of Kreation
    • Brazil
    • guiaugusto20@hotmail.com
    • Skype - guiaugusto20

Amazing work on Ray my fellas!
#25  November 03, 2020, 08:32:48 am
  • lightning power ...
  • I have the soul of a geek but sometimes lazy.
    • France
I really like your characters, they are really amazing
thank you very much my friend.
#26  November 03, 2020, 06:46:40 pm
    • USA
I'm glad to see we're getting so more Fighter's History characters in POT style. Also, good work on Ray.
#27  November 05, 2020, 01:43:23 am
    • USA
    • https://jthesaltyy.wixsite.com/jthesaltyymugen
Alright, after testing Ray myself and having gotten feedback from other peers, I also have my bit of feedback I can do. Now, bug wise, I am not good at finding those, but when it comes to more technical aspects of the character, I'll be able to give you some good feedback on it. So, I'll start with the hitboxes.

Now, the hitboxes on Ray are interesting. The styling of the hitboxes switches a lot from move to move, and it's somewhat inconsistent. From what I could gather from other animations, it would appear that you were trying to go for this KOF style hitboxing style with 1-2 hurtboxes and one active hitbox. Now, I assumed that this would be the case for the attacks, but it appears that some moves have a 3 hitbox style, others just have one, and others have even more. Here is what I mean.
Standing LP looks like this:

Aside from the odd placement of the red hitbox and lack of a hurtbox on the viewer right arm, it seems to have fit the style the other non attacking anims were using, but looking at a move like close standing MP:

This may seem miniscule, but when it comes to a simple attack, it's important that each hitbox retains the same style, or else other moves may become redundant or outright useless. I think you should either have all attacks keep the 1-2 hurtbox style that KOF chars usually have or go with 3 hitboxes in a CvS style. Here are a few mock-ups of some of these attacks in a 3 hitbox style

now, I do understand you want your style to be custom and stand out from the other POTS styles, but having hitboxes such as these creates weird and unusual situations, however you don't have to do a 3 hitbox style. You could stick with the one that he has in his non attacking animations. Even if these hitboxes weren't yours and were left over from the base, it wouldn't hurt to edit them a bit so they could fit with the other moves.

Aside from hitboxes, an even more glaring issue is frame data. KarmaCharmeleon mainly referred all the frame data information to me, and what she found was that his punches are all too safe. Even his far fierce is +4 on block. All of his punch moves are just too safe, so maybe try to fix the heavy punches to be at least 0 on block. Even if it's custom, it doesn't have to be jank to stand out. Standing heavy kick is +2 on block as well, and crouching hard punch, a very universally punishable move, is +1 on block. An even bigger issue is his fireball. It is + 5 on block, and it has better frames than charge characters, which is not how shotos are supposed to work, especially when in a Ryu vs. Guile situation. This fireball can also combo into itself several times for how plus it is, and since it is so plus, other moves can be cancelled into it that would normally be unsafe to be safe if blocked. Sweep is normally -3 on block, which is still very safe, but cancel it into fireball and it becomes +3 on block. Yes, while range is a thing, if this is done up close, the opponent should still get a chance to punish with a shotokill move or something along the lines of that. Even if sweep still has 5 frames of startup, it can be chained into from jab. I think it wouldn't hurt to go in and change the frame data so more powerful moves are able to be punished by jabs at the very least.

I know life is very busy for you right now and you might not have the time to consider making these changes, but if you do, I suggest that you could possibly make these changes, as they would remove the jank from Ray and make him a better character overall. I still like this character though, don't get me wrong. I love how you did him, but I just want to help you out and pitch in my fair share of feedback. Even if your style is custom, these issues won't really stick with any custom style unless you're intentionally trying to make a character overpowered or cheap ,which judging by your previous releases, you aren't trying to do. But still, this is good shit.
#28  November 05, 2020, 03:00:56 am
  • This big boy spitting out 250 rounds a minute!!!
    • USA
    • https://infiniteff.forumotion.com/t533-all-chars-by-rce-akir-jeanne-d-arc-released