YesNoOk

Shredder WIP (Read 248241 times)

Started by Dcat, February 14, 2012, 10:32:11 am
Share this topic:
Re: Shredder WIP
#741  October 27, 2012, 12:28:48 am
Yes excellent Shredder, the best ever made! And since you do compatibility can you do him harder AI pls? I would talk about Mortal Kombat compatibility but you probably wouldn't add finishes and such. I mean, in a way that when you play with MK fighters you won't beat him easily. as well as if you play with him, you won't get your butt kicked. Example of fighters that can be quite strong are Psycho Shredder 2.4 that had regenerate, you could hit just in the head but overall was an equal battle. A bad example are marvel characters that get beaten easily and are powereless vs MK fighters when you play with the marvel ones or vs them. I wonder where this SHredder will be with the gameplay. But I think what MK compatibility means faster falling, faster combos, not sure, smth like that.

Overall the biggest issue with MK vs non MK chars is that the non MK chars even if you set them the same life, defense, attack as MK chars, actually take a lot more damage and get beaten much faster due to MK blows doing more damage to them. And basically the Marvel and such non MK chars take very little damage and receive more damage too.
Last Edit: October 27, 2012, 12:35:28 am by Emetar
#742  October 27, 2012, 11:03:06 am
  • "Za Warudo" user
    • Russia
    • www.youtube.com/user/YagamiRus
Yes, not to worry, this little detail hadn't escaped me. I was planning to include the little prelude music that plays for Shredder's aura pillar intro against the turtles. I'm most likely going to use the Hyperstone Heist version. Should I also include the Shredder boss music to play throughout the round as well? I'd most likely use the arcade rip of it.
Yeah, the prelude music from Hyperstone would fit greatly :) Although enabling a boss music to play during a round is not neccesary, I think. For example I would like to choose the BGM for this battle myself (If I got it right - you mean to make a forced BGM, that would play during battle with shredder, even if stage BGM is different?) - there are lots of choices here - Shredder's suit, Turtles in time theme or the arcade one (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2vMdlp9f9I&feature=g-like) will all fit greatly.
I even remember somebody said the will make remixed BGM of Shredder's theme after you release him :)

P.S. sent you Abyss by KFM ;)
#743  October 27, 2012, 01:37:07 pm
Please, no forced BGM throughout the round. 
#744  October 27, 2012, 02:25:22 pm
  • The Chaos has ended. You will be remembered!
    • Germany
#745  October 27, 2012, 08:09:52 pm
    • Germany
Yes, not to worry, this little detail hadn't escaped me. I was planning to include the little prelude music that plays for Shredder's aura pillar intro against the turtles. I'm most likely going to use the Hyperstone Heist version. Should I also include the Shredder boss music to play throughout the round as well? I'd most likely use the arcade rip of it.

For a Special intro it's a nice idea, but I believe a complete forced bgm is something that should only be used for a Fullgame and not for a singel char.
Btw. Did you already work on the Super Armor code for the Shredder transformation?
Last Edit: October 27, 2012, 08:15:31 pm by moep
#746  October 28, 2012, 12:30:36 am
  • The BadPixelMan
    • USA
Yeah, that one is classic. But in that video it's in bad quality
P.S. good thing I still have prepared better edit of "Shredder's suit" mp3 in good quality ;)

Bro. Please, would you mind PMing me that?

#747  October 28, 2012, 02:17:35 am
  • Your Channel 6 News Anchor is in another Castle!
    • dcat.mugen-infantry.net/
Please, no forced BGM throughout the round. 
For a Special intro it's a nice idea, but I believe a complete forced bgm is something that should only be used for a Fullgame and not for a singel char.

Okay good thing I checked in about this, I'll only have the prefight prelude jingle during his special intro vs my Turtles before the round starts.

Btw. Did you already work on the Super Armor code for the Shredder transformation?

Yes, I've started to work on it. Took a look at XsLaught's Abyss and Doggiedoo's Kongou for reference. Enemy damage is halved. Managed to pull off the bit of  helper binding + posset code that creates an immovable wall effect when opponents try to push the character. A timer variable counts down from 2000 ticks once first transformed. When it reaches 0 Shredder turns back (still need to make the special detransformation state), I'm thinking that I should maybe add a once-per round restriction or maybe set power at 0 once Super Shredder mode is used so that Shredder can't build up meter and use it again. Outlasting Super Shredder multiple times in a particular round could be very tedious otherwise. Either this complete power restriction or just have Super Shredder only available once per round or once per match? Which do you guys think is the better option?

So far he's got one attack in Super Shredder mode it's his horizontal chop; it does 2 hits & is pretty powerful at the moment. I may have to slow the animation so the opponent can get in more hits before they get knocked back, as it stands now its pretty difficult to pull off even small combos on him while he's in Super Shredder mode. I may keep this intact for the future I'm not sure how well he'd fare against other opponents universally if I made him easier to defeat, that'll be a job for testers to help me deal with once the time comes.

I've been busy today spriting additional normals & specials for Super Shredder mode. He's going to have the flame trail floor, Retromutation fireball and upwards ice shot from the classic arcade games replacing his QCF + Any punch commands respectively. Super command will yield a Lightning Pressure attack that fills the screen based on his move in TMNT3 Manhattan Project.

I can't forget to include special Super Shredder winposes if Shredder wins while transformed as well. Having a victorious Super Shredder perform normal Shredder winposes made that very clear in my testing sessions thus far.

I've yet to sort out color separation on the foot soldier sprites, I'll tackle those later.

@Emetar: I'll try to do my best, Shredder's damage output right now feels solid, I may scale it back a bit as I add more to the character though. Hopefully he'll be able to stand up to those Mortal Kombat characters, I don't intend to code the AI myself

Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 02:23:32 am by Dcat
#748  October 28, 2012, 02:31:44 am
  • Hick-spanic
  • the dawn away
    • Puerto Rico
I would think that a complete power restriction would be more suitable.

.....unless the idea for the restriction is that it's still in effect after he reverts back to normal form (I assumed that Super Shredder wouldn't build power, but when he transforms back it would build as it normally would).  If that's the case a Once Per Round deal might be a better solution.
might as well shill: https://twitter.com/FraudKrew
the streams are here: https://www.twitch.tv/robotboombox
Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 02:46:46 am by Roman55
#749  October 28, 2012, 02:37:33 am
  • The BadPixelMan
    • USA
Once per round maybe. It really depends. With no special meter and if the opponent somehow came out of their confrontation with Super Shredder with a lot of Health still in tact, that leaves Shredder a little fugged in the arse without any supers. Maybe not.
The animation coming out of Super Shredder should have him down on one knee grabbing his chest or have him propping himself up on his knee. OR he could be slumped over while standing up and panting.

For Super Shredder special what about a LVL 3 Fury Combo or something where he goes nuts with beating the shit out of the person?
#750  October 28, 2012, 02:35:54 am
  • You must be sexy to stand a chance!
His left hand needs a little work, actually looks like a glove or something.

DW

#751  October 28, 2012, 04:44:45 am
    • USA
    • www.trinitymugen.net
Yes, I've started to work on it. Took a look at XsLaught's Abyss and Doggiedoo's Kongou for reference. Enemy damage is halved. Managed to pull off the bit of  helper binding + posset code that creates an immovable wall effect when opponents try to push the character. A timer variable counts down from 2000 ticks once first transformed. When it reaches 0 Shredder turns back (still need to make the special detransformation state), I'm thinking that I should maybe add a once-per round restriction or maybe set power at 0 once Super Shredder mode is used so that Shredder can't build up meter and use it again. Outlasting Super Shredder multiple times in a particular round could be very tedious otherwise. Either this complete power restriction or just have Super Shredder only available once per round or once per match? Which do you guys think is the better option?

Personally, I don't like the idea of his power being locked at 0 for the remainder of the round, after reverting from his super form. A once per round limit sounds a lot better imo.

@Emetar: I'll try to do my best, Shredder's damage output right now feels solid, I may scale it back a bit as I add more to the character though. Hopefully he'll be able to stand up to those Mortal Kombat characters, I don't intend to code the AI myself

Honestly, I don't see the point or relevence to this user's post. What does the damage output/difficulty of MK chars have anything to do with Shredder...? MK chars would be stronger by default anyway, with trying to follow accuracy of the game. An uppercut was a devastating attack for any char, that's just the way it is in MK. This wouldn't be practical at all for Shredder to follow a damage output as an MK char. Most MK chars out there are pretty "meh" anyway... :-\ Not really the best example to follow/compare to.

#752  October 28, 2012, 08:52:56 pm
    • Germany
I'm thinking that I should maybe add a once-per round restriction or maybe set power at 0 once Super Shredder mode is used so that Shredder can't build up meter and use it again. Outlasting Super Shredder multiple times in a particular round could be very tedious otherwise. Either this complete power restriction or just have Super Shredder only available once per round or once per match? Which do you guys think is the better option?

I think a once per round restriction should be enough, because Shredder is still some kind of boss Char.

Btw. could you add are optional extra state/code whatever that players can only activate over editing so that Shredder can start directly in Super Shredder Mode? So we could make a copy of the char for our games and use him as a CHEAP Super Shredder extra/alternate Boss, until you or a other creator decides to create a full Super Shredder?^^

So far he's got one attack in Super Shredder mode it's his horizontal chop; it does 2 hits & is pretty powerful at the moment. I may have to slow the animation so the opponent can get in more hits before they get knocked back, as it stands now its pretty difficult to pull off even small combos on him while he's in Super Shredder mode. I may keep this intact for the future I'm not sure how well he'd fare against other opponents universally if I made him easier to defeat, that'll be a job for testers to help me deal with once the time comes.

I've been busy today spriting additional normals & specials for Super Shredder mode. He's going to have the flame trail floor, Retromutation fireball and upwards ice shot from the classic arcade games replacing his QCF + Any punch commands respectively. Super command will yield a Lightning Pressure attack that fills the screen based on his move in TMNT3 Manhattan Project.

I can't forget to include special Super Shredder winposes if Shredder wins while transformed as well. Having a victorious Super Shredder perform normal Shredder winposes made that very clear in my testing sessions thus far.

I can't wait to see all the stuff that you are working on right now, it sounds realy nice so far.

It looks this way because Dcat used the Super Shredder sprites of the 8bit Turtle Games as a base for his version of Super Shredder, in the 8bit version shredder has gloves unlike the one from the Snes/Genesis game or the Movie and the Toy versions of Super Shredder who don't have gloves.

Dcat & 8Bit version
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
Snes/Genesis version
Movie & Toy Version

But Dcat added a color separation for the hands afaik.^^
Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 08:56:29 pm by moep
#753  October 29, 2012, 12:12:24 am
Ohh I actually use an old Psycho Shredder with the ability to regenerate and pull then kick or push away with some energy ball. The sound during his regeneration reminds me of TMNT a lot. Are you gonna include such ability with the regenerate and some energy passing through him? I can show you what I mean if you want with this Psycho that I use as a super shredd.

Regeneration
#754  October 29, 2012, 09:52:10 am
  • Your Channel 6 News Anchor is in another Castle!
    • dcat.mugen-infantry.net/

I'm not going to change it.

I would think that a complete power restriction would be more suitable.

.....unless the idea for the restriction is that it's still in effect after he reverts back to normal form (I assumed that Super Shredder wouldn't build power, but when he transforms back it would build as it normally would).  If that's the case a Once Per Round deal might be a better solution.

Yeah Super Shredder Mode sets Power to 0 and he can't build meter / doesn't require meter while transformed.   

Once per round maybe. It really depends. With no special meter and if the opponent somehow came out of their confrontation with Super Shredder with a lot of Health still in tact, that leaves Shredder a little fugged in the arse without any supers. Maybe not.

Personally, I don't like the idea of his power being locked at 0 for the remainder of the round, after reverting from his super form. A once per round limit sounds a lot better imo.

I think a once per round restriction should be enough, because Shredder is still some kind of boss Char.

Yeah hearing people's thoughts on this  is making it pretty clear a once per round restriction would be ideal. That way Shredder can still use specials and supers if the fight continues on beyond his use of Super Shredder and he can't access the hyper mode again regardless to make things more fair on the opponent.

The animation coming out of Super Shredder should have him down on one knee grabbing his chest or have him propping himself up on his knee. OR he could be slumped over while standing up and panting.

For Super Shredder special what about a LVL 3 Fury Combo or something where he goes nuts with beating the shit out of the person?

Right now the animation for Super Shredder's transformation back to normal Shredder is the same rapid flashing growth animation in reverse, it might be a really good idea to have Shredder immediately change to a cool down dizzy/stunned/panting state after it so the opponent can get in some free licks as a reward for surviving Super Shredder mode though. That might be a much appreciated dose of balance to the whole ordeal, good idea!

I kind of wanted to go in a different direction than my other TMNT chars and not include an autocombo hyper, the guy's already packed to the brim with moves and super armor and I've added his teleport from TMNT 3 Manhattan Project. Knowing me, I'll probably add a fury auto-combo as well though...

Btw. could you add are optional extra state/code whatever that players can only activate over editing so that Shredder can start directly in Super Shredder Mode? So we could make a copy of the char for our games and use him as a CHEAP Super Shredder extra/alternate Boss, until you or a other creator decides to create a full Super Shredder?^^

Super Shredder mode is a "full Super Shredder". He'll have all of Super Shredder's classic moves + super armor, and winposes, what more is there? I guess I could add a config option to him later to do what you suggested for users that wanted to use him in that manner, but it wasn't my intention to make this into yet another broken Shredder character for MUGEN.

But Dcat added a color separation for the hands afaik.^^

Yeah color separation is rather extensive for Super Shredder:
Yeah I'm really proud of how he's turning out.
Gratuitous palette spam:

Spoiler: '89 TOON, ARCADE1, ARCADE2 (click to see content)

Spoiler: NES1, NES2, PLAYMATES TOY (click to see content)

Spoiler: COMIC, ANIME, 2K3 TOON (click to see content)

Ohh I actually use an old Psycho Shredder with the ability to regenerate and pull then kick or push away with some energy ball. The sound during his regeneration reminds me of TMNT a lot. Are you gonna include such ability with the regenerate and some energy passing through him? I can show you what I mean if you want with this Psycho that I use as a super shredd.

Regeneration

I'm not trying to emulate features from these Psycho Shredder versions, if you want to play with something like that you might not like my character. Its entire existence is kind of my reaction against the saturation of MUGEN with that particular genre of Shredder over the years.  :(  Life regenerate sounds pretty cheap, he's kind of hard (impossible?) to put down while in Super Shredder mode as it is.

What's New?

Today I've begun work on the Super Shredder specials. So far, I've coded the Flame Floor and the Retromutagen Fireball. I've been seriously considering adding a custom state for the "My Toe!" animation from the classic games, while keeping in mind possible use of the burned custom state standard as an alternate if the character isn't compatible with the soon to be created "My Toe" Custom animation Standard. I'll keep you guys posted on that front.
Also I've added his teleportation move from TMNT 3 Manhattan Project which allows him to get across the screen very quickly, essentially making walking obsolete. I'm going to make him hittable while teleporting to tone down the cheapness factor.
Have some screenshots!

#755  October 29, 2012, 10:05:33 am
  • "Za Warudo" user
    • Russia
    • www.youtube.com/user/YagamiRus
Epic :2thumbsup:
Looks really cool indeed) Although - are you sure to make Super shredder vulnerable during his teleport moves? It may tone down his cheapness, but that could not look good. It's up to you of course, but maybe instead of that make the teleports drain some of the powerbar? Like an EX move. Or Super shredder will have infinite powerbar during his transformation time??
#756  October 29, 2012, 10:41:29 am
I'm not trying to emulate features from these Psycho Shredder versions, if you want to play with something like that you might not like my character. Its entire existence is kind of my reaction against the saturation of MUGEN with that particular genre of Shredder over the years.    Life regenerate sounds pretty cheap, he's kind of hard (impossible?) to put down while in Super Shredder mode as it is.

Did you see the video in the link just for how the effect looks like? Yes I know you are not emulating cheap char such as Psycho Shred, nor am I asking or expecting this... I was simply asking if you are gonna make such ability with small regeneration that he may use when he gets too low... this is not cheap since I know chars that you can beat if they try to regenerate a little. But it's up to you, this is no reason for me to not like your char since everything else is so much better.
#757  October 29, 2012, 10:54:49 am
The progress of Shredder is excellent.

Definitely following this thread!
#758  October 29, 2012, 05:04:05 pm
    • Germany
Super Shredder mode is a "full Super Shredder". He'll have all of Super Shredder's classic moves + super armor, and winposes, what more is there? I guess I could add a config option to him later to do what you suggested for users that wanted to use him in that manner, but it wasn't my intention to make this into yet another broken Shredder character for MUGEN.

I realy don't want that you create "another broken Shredder", my intention was that you maybe add some kind of a Boss Mode for the AI only where he directly turns into Super Shredder like in the SNES Game, or something like in Last Blade 1 where Kagami turns into a Boss version after you beat him in one round, and he stays in this form for the rest of the battle.
Please don't get me wrong this is just a idea for something you could add as a little extra, if you don't like the idea im totally fine with it. ;D

What's New?

Today I've begun work on the Super Shredder specials. So far, I've coded the Flame Floor and the Retromutagen Fireball. I've been seriously considering adding a custom state for the "My Toe!" animation from the classic games, while keeping in mind possible use of the burned custom state standard as an alternate if the character isn't compatible with the soon to be created "My Toe" Custom animation Standard. I'll keep you guys posted on that front.
Also I've added his teleportation move from TMNT 3 Manhattan Project which allows him to get across the screen very quickly, essentially making walking obsolete. I'm going to make him hittable while teleporting to tone down the cheapness factor.
Have some screenshots!

Wow this Aura looks pure evil. =D
It's realy nice what you did with the 8Bit animations just as a base for it.
#759  October 29, 2012, 05:08:18 pm
  • Limited time to use Infinite power !
    • France
    • network.mugenguild.com/cybaster/
Looks great. :)
Fireball is slightly misaligned though it seems, and the last screenshot could go with a less pixeled and more colorful flame animation.

DW

#760  October 29, 2012, 05:40:55 pm
    • USA
    • www.trinitymugen.net
Yes I know you are not emulating cheap char such as Psycho Shred, nor am I asking or expecting this... I was simply asking if you are gonna make such ability with small regeneration that he may use when he gets too low...

Um...OK. That's quite the contradiction there on yourself. You're not asking him to add a feature from a Psycho(LOL whut?!) Shredder... Yet you very next sentence, is asking him to add it. Slightly tweaked or not, you're still asking to emulate a feature from that Shredder. Which, once again, is not good reference for any additions to Dcat's Shred-Head. :P

and the last screenshot could go with a less pixeled and more colorful flame animation.

I do believe the 8-bit flames were his intent. Going for the retro feel from Project Manhattan. After all, his Super Shredder is themed from that version of him.