YesNoOk

Recreating Capcom Fighting All-Stars - An Idea Thread (Read 7748 times)

Started by Steel Komodo, January 28, 2024, 05:34:18 pm
Re: Recreating Capcom Fighting All-Stars - An Idea Thread
#21  February 13, 2024, 11:06:14 pm
  • I have no idea what I'm doing.
    • UK
    UPDATE:
    • Still working on the base real slow. It just hit me how much I have to do for this - sounds for dashing, sound effects for activating Super Moves, the Dramatic Finish, Dramatic Counters etc. A lot to do still!
    • Now I'm getting hung the fuck up on basic movement. Do I have characters run or dash? Do I split the difference and have a dash that goes into a run? But what if a character doesn't have a run animation? Do I just randomly decide based on the character and have a bunch of inconsistencies in the roster? Leaning towards dashes, but making them MvC or Darkstalkers-style long dashes.
    • Obviously, once I've made a base, I'll start working on a Ryu using that base. I have an older Ryu lying around that I can re-engineer for it, and as I build him up I can retroactively add whatever needs adding to the base, thus making future development a hell of a lot easier.

Also, here's a tentative logo. Feel free to tell me if it sucks or not.

[/list]
    Last Edit: February 18, 2024, 04:59:40 pm by Steel Komodo
    #22  February 17, 2024, 09:50:51 pm
      • UK
    Getting close to having a base I can work with. I'll post something in Projects when I start work on it. In the meantime, here's a small list of what I think some of the character's Dramatic Finish moves would be.

• Chun-Li: Sichisei Senkukyaku
    • Charlie: Judgement Saber
    • Poison: Poison Kiss
    • Batsu: United By Fate (calls Hinata and Kyosuke)
    • Akira: Kyoso Kiko Kai or that Level 3 super KarmaChameleon's Akira uses
    • Demitri: Midnight Bliss
    • Akuma: Shun Goku Satsu/Tenchi Sokaigen
    • Kyo*: Ura 1212 Shiki - Yakumo
    • Strider Hiryu: Ragnarok

* Assuming Kyo is the guest character, I might change my mind on that one.

Feel free to throw more ideas at me for Dramatic Finishes, I'll keep them in mind while I work on characters.
    #23  March 23, 2024, 05:36:54 pm
      • UK
    Let me be blunt. I'm having a real bad crisis of faith when it comes to the gameplay of this.

The more I look at what I'm doing and the more I look at the original game, I'm starting to wonder if maybe Capcom Fighting All-Stars wasn't cancelled for a reason. Aside from the weird new characters, gritty tone and finishing moves, there's just... nothing there in terms of mechanics. No layers, no nuance, nothing that makes it look in any way engaging or fun. There aren't even any EX moves, one of the most basic features you can add into a fighting game. The entire thing looks just so bland, flat and lifeless. So I don't think it's any surprise that it got such a negative reaction and that it got cancelled.

And that's half of why I haven't been working on or talking about this for so long. I started this project with the intent of recreating and "modernising" the original game, trying to add actual mechanical depth to it. But even with what I've got right now, it still doesn't feel like enough, and I don't know what to do about it. I've got some vague ideas, but I don't want to commit to any one of them right now in case they don't work and I have to start from scratch again.
    • Do I stick with what I'm doing now, but add additional mechanics to try and make it more interesting? That would be the easiest way to do it, since I wouldn't have to change all that much, but I don't want to bloat the thing with too many weird mechanics that might just unbalance the whole thing.
    • Do I try and go for a more KoF-style, with more restrictions on combos and similar gameplay elements? Given the original game was being worked on by ex-SNK luminaries and was originally intended to be  Capcom vs SNK 3, that would make the most sense and be interesting to see. My main fear on that one is that Capcom purists probably wouldn't accept a KoF-style game with Capcom characters. yes, Capcom vs SNK 1 exists, but I don't remember a lot of people liking that.
    • Do I just throw up my hands and scream FUCK IT LET'S JUST DO ANOTHER MVC-STYLE GAME? Because as overdone as those are, I know those are the most popular because that's the definitive Capcom-style gameplay for most people.

I'm also horribly aware that my coding isn't going to be up to snuff compared to the veterans, so I'm going to need beta testers and other programmers to look over my stuff and tell me where I'm going wrong and what I can do. That idea's also scary as hell, since I'm such a novice and could be making hundreds of mistakes at any one time. But if anyone was willing to go through my characters and code with a fine-toothed comb to help me make them actually good and not cobbled-together pieces of shit, I'd appreciate it.

Anyway, that's all I wanted to say about it. Feel free to tell me I'm being a drama queen or whatever, I'm gonna go play Princess Peach Showtime to calm myself down.
    #24  March 23, 2024, 09:56:13 pm
      • USA
    4. Embrace the grit and go in a direction more akin to Mortal Kombat. It’s pretty rare to see Capcom characters, especially non-SF ones, in a more MK-ish style.
    #25  March 23, 2024, 10:05:19 pm
    • Did I hear something about a scooby snack?
      • USA
      • squidlypoli1.neocities.org

I feel like going with the more kof-ey style would work for it for the reasons you provided, cfas was originally cvs3 and a lot of the people championing it back when it was still being developed and loketested were snk devs. Going with the same marvel vs capcom style as other games would require you to look into how to make it unique from capcom universe, the OTHER capcom vs capcom in the style of marvel vs capcom game, and i feel like trying to one-up it would just be too much effort with quite a bit of overlap which i still care about even though some people say it is just best to do whatever you want without worrying about it.

4. Embrace the grit and go in a direction more akin to Mortal Kombat. It’s pretty rare to see Capcom characters, especially non-SF ones, in a more MK-ish style.

Don't do this. Just dont. I genuinely dont think this is a good idea.
    #26  March 24, 2024, 12:52:05 am
      • UK

This is absolutely not happening, no matter what. Just because a game has finishing moves and a slightly grittier tone, doesn't mean you have to go the MK route in any way, shape or form. I'm not having Ryu uppercut Batsu's head off or anything like that, because that is one hundred per cent not what Capcom characters do. And anyone who asks me for this again can go suck on a lemon.

Unless you happen to like lemons, in which case the whole thing falls apart, I guess.
    #27  March 24, 2024, 05:17:41 pm
      • USA

This is absolutely not happening, no matter what. Just because a game has finishing moves and a slightly grittier tone, doesn't mean you have to go the MK route in any way, shape or form. I'm not having Ryu uppercut Batsu's head off or anything like that, because that is one hundred per cent not what Capcom characters do. And anyone who asks me for this again can go suck on a lemon.

Unless you happen to like lemons, in which case the whole thing falls apart, I guess.

I was thinking about taking influence more in terms of gameplay elements like the Agression meter, one-use supers, block button, Meter Burn, etc. rather than the actual blood and guts of MK. But if you really dislike those games, so be it. So I vote for Option 2: KoF-inspired gameplay.
    #28  March 25, 2024, 12:33:05 pm
      • UK
    So I've slept on it for a bit, and also done some experimentation. I tried altering Ryu so that his combo paths follow KoF XV's rules - any close normal chains into a command normal which then chains into a special move. I'm still not entirely sold on it, since it doesn't really feel "Capcom"-y despite the reasonings I gave. I might work on two versions with the different combo systems to see which one people prefer.

On a side note, here's some changes I'm thinking of making to the "Capcom"-style gameplay:
    • I'm dropping mediums. It feels really awkward to press LP or LK again to get the medium hit in a chain combo, especially when you're not able to use medium attacks in any other situation. I'll either just go for a simple L > H chain or do a Darkstalkers thing of LP > LK > HP > HK. We'll see how it goes.
    • To compensate for dropping mediums, I'll change how chaining into command moves and specials work. the current idea is that you can only chain into command normals from hard attacks, like HP or HK, but you can chain into any special move from a command as well as any normal. I might loosen that up so you can chain into command normals from any button.
    • Musing on the idea of Super Cancels. Obviously, that would only work in the case of going from a Level 1 to a Level 2, unless the cost of doing so was only one bar extra, so it might not be worth it.
    • Roll Cancells???

Stay tuned on both this and the thread in projects, I'll have an update soon-ish.