YesNoOk

Compiling Mugen games for money? Legal? (Read 6397 times)

Started by Destiny108, January 07, 2021, 05:00:45 pm
Share this topic:
Compiling Mugen games for money? Legal?
#1  January 07, 2021, 05:00:45 pm
    • Morocco
Hello, I've been reading a bit on here about the legality of commercializing Mugen.

I understand Mugen license does NOT allow commercial use. Even though Elecbyte is a ghost now. Someone on the forum said that you can commercialize a mugen game if you don't include the exe and other files, and have the client go download them on their own.

So if my work consists in compiling Mugen chars, stages and a SP for a client, can I then send it to them while giving them instructions on where to get the Mugen executable in exchange for monetary gain, and do this on platforms like Fiverr and Upwork, without breaking the terms of the license?

Thanks
Last Edit: January 07, 2021, 09:17:47 pm by Destiny108
Re: Compiling Mugen games for money? Legal
#2  January 07, 2021, 05:06:29 pm
  • 90's Kawaii
  • :thinking:
    • Guatemala
Selling other people's work is still pretty fucking scummy. Don't do this.
#3  January 07, 2021, 05:14:04 pm
  • 超高校級の「絶望」
  • “Just like a single bullet setting off a world war
    • Japan
    • gamersnatales.wordpress.com/
technically it does allow selling the games under certain conditions as explained in elecbyte forums when was active which you don't comply.
First of all and the most important you can only use the redist version of the engine which only contain the exe,plugins and that's it (is version 1.0).
Second all the content has to be made by you and not derived,since most characters are derived from kung fu man they aren't compliant of that rule,most screenpacks are derived from basic elecbyte motif so are a big no,fonts well most people use the default fonts another big no.
As long you made everything from scratch nobody should complain, but from scratch.
Well that was what elecbyte said since people keep making derivative works nobody could be found compliant with those rules,a guy asked the same in elebyte forums and the answer was "we analized your project and we found it doesn't comply with the rules about commercial usage,we aren't trying to make you pay big amounts of money just comply with the rules and make everything from scratch"
(you didn't make anything so you can't sell anything)
Make content and probably nobody will think about that,don't be trash
“Thousands of humans falling over like dominoes... ahhh... that sight was so beautiful! I thought my brain was gonna melt..!”
Last Edit: January 07, 2021, 05:22:03 pm by Tabris666
#4  January 07, 2021, 06:23:48 pm
    • Morocco

Let's say someone asked you to compile a Mugen game for them with chars, stages, SP etc of their own choosing, and they're paying you for it because they don't want to do it themselves.

IANAL, but in this case it's just between you and the commissioner and Elecbyte or copyright owners can't interfere?

It's like: "Hey man can you add this and this chars/stages to Mugen and send it to me?"
"Sure but I'm not gonna do it for free, for x chars/stages how about $20 bucks"
"All right"

I fail to see the "criminality" of this, please clarify if I'm missing something.

Thanks
#5  January 07, 2021, 06:24:53 pm
  • Self-Sufficient Subhuman
  • "I hope you're ready for a beating!"
    • USA
Even if, at a surface level, it's technically not inherently criminal, it's still morally dubious at BEST.
#6  January 07, 2021, 06:39:40 pm
  • A.K.A. NED
  • I like to draw fighting game characters...
Same.
I think using other ppl's work to compile and make money is not a good idea.

Sounds like printing some "online comics" for someone asking you to do it and selling them.

Or download some mp3 files online everywhere and putting them in a zip archive to sell it to someone.

I'm not sure my exemples are ok, but, this is the idea.
#7  January 07, 2021, 06:50:47 pm
  • YERRRRRRRRRR
  • HIGHBRIDGE!
    • USA
    • Skype - DJHANNIBALROYCEUSA
    • sites.google.com/site/djhrmugen/

Let's say someone asked you to compile a Mugen game for them with chars, stages, SP etc of their own choosing, and they're paying you for it because they don't want to do it themselves.

IANAL, but in this case it's just between you and the commissioner and Elecbyte or copyright owners can't interfere?

It's like: "Hey man can you add this and this chars/stages to Mugen and send it to me?"
"All right"

I fail to see the "criminality" of this, please clarify if I'm missing something.

Thanks

imagine YOU made something, FOR FREE, and you find out someone made money off it by simply downloading it for them. u wouldnt be mad?
Follow me on twitter! @djhannibalroyce
#8  January 07, 2021, 07:06:32 pm
    • USA
I know I'd be pretty livid if something I made was being sold by someone else.
#9  January 07, 2021, 07:38:53 pm
    • tehwii@gmail.com

"All right"

Thanks

how incompetent are these people they want to spend money for you to download files and edit a text file?

you're scamming these people and profiting off others hard work, at best
#10  January 07, 2021, 08:30:29 pm
  • 超高校級の「絶望」
  • “Just like a single bullet setting off a world war
    • Japan
    • gamersnatales.wordpress.com/

"All right"

Maybe you should learn a bit more,besides is not that hard look i would understand teaching the guy how to make something and charging money for it (20 dollars is way too high even at teaching) that is reasonable but taking advantage because the other guy is stupid or has difficulties is morally wrong and legally wrong.
Besides both aren't even in the same country so less reason.
Just give him a link to one of the hundreds of tutorials about customizing mugen on youtube is not that hard passing a link or say to the guy search it on youtube..
“Thousands of humans falling over like dominoes... ahhh... that sight was so beautiful! I thought my brain was gonna melt..!”
Last Edit: January 07, 2021, 08:34:50 pm by Tabris666
#11  January 07, 2021, 08:54:39 pm
    • Morocco
I know I'd be pretty livid if something I made was being sold by someone else.

That doesn't make any sense. If you're making a pot and you sell it to someone, then you wouldn't be pretty livid if that person were to go resell it because that's their right.

Same.
I think using other ppl's work to compile and make money is not a good idea.

Sounds like printing some "online comics" for someone asking you to do it and selling them.

Or download some mp3 files online everywhere and putting them in a zip archive to sell it to someone.

I'm not sure my exemples are ok, but, this is the idea.

Downloading mp3 files or comics without rights is infringing on author's rights in the first place even without selling intent.

But if someone asked me to put together their own mp3 files or comics which they have the rights to, in this case, chars and stages which are available publicly and on forums, and I accepted to do it in return of being paid for my time and effort, I believe I'm in my right to do so?

how incompetent are these people they want to spend money for you to download files and edit a text file?

you're scamming these people and profiting off others hard work, at best

A mechanic is "incompetent" to grow vegetables in their own yard, because they don't have the knowledge and time to plant, so they ask a farmer to do it.

Is the farmer scamming the mechanic by selling him his vegetables?

Are those people incompetent, or just competent in other areas besides Mugen because we need people doing other kind of stuff like being doctors treating Covid, firefighters etc... and they don't all have time to sit down to download chars and learn how to use select.def.

There's already a person compiling Mugen games on Fiverr and getting paid for it.

Here's a copy-paste of a testimonial from a buyer:

"I didn't know how to use mugen and make characters but the seller helped with everything and he did exactly what I wanted"

Isn't the seller actually doing a service to these people?

If the buyers are contended, where's the problem?

Do you usually leave positive reviews to buyers who scam you?

Last Edit: January 07, 2021, 10:10:35 pm by Destiny108
#12  January 07, 2021, 09:01:24 pm
    • tehwii@gmail.com
Why even make this thread when its clear you're already set on scamming peoplle
#13  January 07, 2021, 09:06:11 pm
    • USA
My logic makes perfect sense when none of this is for monetary value anyways

It’s not in your right to sell, says an edit I make for free that you didn’t even claim ownership of in the first place. We’re not talking about actual economics. Your logic doesn’t apply here

Why are you doing this? Why do you want to make money off this? Just do it for free and go make money in a more respectable way

Even if you do this and no repercussions come out of it you’re not gonna be respected for monetizing Mugen lol
#14  January 07, 2021, 09:11:02 pm
  • In a few minutes, bitch
    • Germany
I'm super short on money rn but not even for a second I thought of profiting on something this scummy, and I code characters myself. This is not you reselling something that you bought, this is you selling something you (and everyone) got for free. It's like trying to privatize breathing.

Please don't do this.
#15  January 07, 2021, 09:13:47 pm
  • I am hilarious
  • and you will quote everything I say
    • USA
Compiling Mugen games for money? Legal

Not only would this be essentially selling someone else's work, you're taking money to do something that can easily be done for free just with a little time. Want to know how well this is viewed? See this: https://mugenguild.com/forum/msg.1612861

But I see you're dead set on being quite low, so, your call I suppose.
#16  January 07, 2021, 09:18:03 pm
    • Morocco

"I didn't know how to use mugen and make characters but the seller helped with everything and he did exactly what I wanted"

"The Seller" didnt do nothing but copy and paste information available on the internet to this dude,which he can access on his own for free and made a quick buck off of it.I dont get whats so hard about pasting text in notepad.
New #17  January 07, 2021, 10:04:47 pm
  • Non est hoc propter hoc sed propter est hoc
    • USA
    • doubletrend-zeta.neocities.org/
A mechanic is "incompetent" to grow vegetables in their own yard, because they don't have the knowledge and time to plant, so they ask a farmer to do it.

Is the farmer scamming the mechanic by selling him his vegetables?

Are those people incompetent, or just competent in other areas besides Mugen because we need people doing other kind of stuff like being doctors treating Covid, firefighters etc... and they all have time to sit down to download chars and learn how to use select.def.
See, this argument stands if it's being used in the context of being paid to make characters. Learning how to and making MUGEN content is a big time sink, and it's perfectly reasonable to sell custom creation services.

Curation is a skill in itself, but there is a difference between not having the knowledge to source high quality coffee beans vs spending 20 minutes on the internet finding characters. A google search for a character+MUGEN will lead most people here anyway: we have archives going back 20 years, you can even search for characters ON THIS FORUM and get characters from all over the world, not only by members.
Last Edit: January 08, 2021, 01:47:35 am by Bannana
Re: Compiling Mugen games for money? Legal?
#18  January 07, 2021, 10:15:46 pm
    • USA
By this point I'm waiting for Destiny to respond with "I hear your alternatives... but, money."

I hope that some sense has been knocked into you my guy, with all of this. You've dug yourself quite a hole, I would definitely SUGGEST not pursuing this any further...
#19  January 08, 2021, 12:55:30 am
  • If you rip sprites i´ll rip your code
    • Mexico
    • www.m3xweb.260mb.com
There's already a person compiling Mugen games on Fiverr and getting paid for it.

Here's a copy-paste of a testimonial from a buyer:

Isn't the seller actually doing a service to these people?
If the buyers are contended, where's the problem?
Do you usually leave positive reviews to buyers who scam you?

You mean this one?
I'm Amine from Tunisia I'm 25 years old, I'm looking forward to improve my skills until I master most of them.
Additional hobbies: Playing video games, watching anime & TV series and movies, Music.

Note: I do not own or create any characters from scratch I only assemble the best characters and stages to make it in one game created specially for you.
And please message me the details before ordering.
This game only works on PC

https://www.fiverr.com/aminefifty/create-a-fighting-game-for-you-with-mugen-engine?context_referrer=search_gigs&source=main_banner&ref_ctx_id=c0103827-c77e-4676-8fb0-a69dd165c91e&pckg_id=1&pos=3&context_type=auto&funnel=b6704230-55ea-4c61-bc58-a9593deee65e

There is no knowledge that is not power
--------------------------------------
My Web Site
Re: Compiling Mugen games for money? Legal?
#20  January 08, 2021, 01:08:20 am
  • ¡Ni p*ta ni santa! ¡Digo!

- Being paid for coding a character---> OK
- Being paid for spriting a whole character---> OK
- Being paid for get someone's work in a mugen and sell what he DID(both code or spriting, just coding, just spriting) is basically stealing that guy's time and effort, spitting to his face.

If you steal a pear in a market, there's no problem. But in some countries your hand must be cut. I wish mugen to be like this. Not literally cutting someone's hand, but something like internet not working for that pig for the whole life.

If the guy who offered you money for just copy paste something as easy as:

CHARACTER, stages/RAAAAINBOWWWW.def

this guy is stupid. And you're taking advance of this guy. And spitting to the whole community's face. This is not the way MFGuild works.

I swear there was something cool here!!