Started by RagingRowen, November 29, 2022, 10:27:30 pm
Share this topic:
CvS Roster Discussion
#1  November 29, 2022, 10:27:30 pm
  • Formerly known as HyperClawManiac
  • Competitive MUGEN when?
    • UK
    • sites.google.com/view/ragingrowen/home
I've mostly been bringing this up on the Discord, but I decided that I'd bring it here as well.
Over the past year or so, I've been constantly resetting my roster based around Capcom and SNK PotS chars, and the difficulty comes from pairing characters with a logical explanation with at least one correlation, and I've been taking suggestions and criticism into account.

The roster so far:

Explanations:
Ryu vs Ryo - Karate Protagonist
Ken vs Robert - Karate Protag's Rival/Pal
Alex vs K' - Main Series' Newer Protag
Batsu vs Kyo - Firey Schoolboy
Kyosuke vs Iori - Firey Schoolboy's Rival/Pal/fellow Team member
Cody vs Terry - Steet Fighting 'murican
Guy vs Andy - Ninja Dude
Chun-Li vs Mai - Company's Poster Girl
Cammy vs Leona - Army Gal
Dan vs Yuri - Parodying one another.
Sakura vs Shingo - Wants to be like Main Series Protag
Sagat vs King - Muay Thai + Sagat calling himself 'King' would probably be of note
Guile vs Ralf - Army Dude
Nash vs Clark - Another Army Dude
Honda vs Daimon - Japanese Contact Sports
Blanka vs Benimaru - Electricity
Zangief vs Griffon - Babyface Wrestler
Joe vs Adon - Crazier Muay Thai
Billy vs Rolento - Colored Stick as a Weapon
Kim vs Juri - Taekwondo
Ingrid vs Athena - Goddess or Goddess-ey Powers
Vega/Claw vs Yamazaki - Assassin
M.Bison/Dictator vs Geese - Criminal Organization Leader
Akuma vs Rugal - Fueled by/Taps into Dark Energy (Satsui no Hadou/Orochi Blood)
Gill vs Orochi - 'God' vs God
Remy vs Ash - French Charge Character
Dhalsim vs Duo Lon - Stretchy Limbs with a sense of Justice
Balrog/Boxer vs Heavy D! - Boxer who's banned from the sport.
Dudley vs Vanessa - Stylish Boxer
R.Mika vs Angel - Grappler Gal
Gouken vs Mr. Karate - Karate Master
Poison vs Vice - Sadistic Femme Fatale
Sean vs Marco - Brazilian Karate practitioner
Haohmaru vs Demitri - Other Series' Male Protag
Morrigan vs Nakoruru - Other Series' Female Protag

Currently looking for Rivals for:
Fei-Long
Karin
Ibuki
Urien
B.B.Hood
Kula
Rock
Raiden

If it helps, try not to limit yourself to just what I've selected (like for example, Karin vs Kula).
I also don't want suggestions that use fighters that are already used and have rivals (like for example, Ibuki vs Mai).

I was against Ryu vs Ryo at first as I wanted Ryu vs Kyo, but it ended up being the only real way of getting a stacked roster like this without complications. I'd probably have more freedom if I had a small roster, but big is best for me.
What are you guys' thoughts if you happen to be doing the same?
WIP Schedule:
The next Street Fighter All-Stars update
Last Edit: December 02, 2022, 11:42:58 pm by RagingRowen
Re: CvS Roster Discussion
#2  November 29, 2022, 10:39:26 pm
  • "Forgeddaboudit"
  • Squawkabilly
    • Romania
    • wf4123.neocities.org
Let me think... Karin vs. Kula as Double Ks?
#3  November 29, 2022, 10:50:52 pm
    • UK
Let me think... Karin vs. Kula as Double Ks?

That's like pitting Guile against Geese, it's a random pick, and using the first letter of their names as an explanation is just bizarre.
A good first letter'er, on the other hand, would be Kolin since she's an Ice Lady herself, but I'm not fond of the current PotS iteration atm.
WIP Schedule:
#4  November 29, 2022, 11:01:49 pm
    • Peru
Hello.

Here you have my suggestion:

Karin vs Robert - Both are wealthy

If you don´t have a problem to repeat Robert twice, could be a good option.
#5  November 29, 2022, 11:07:41 pm
    • UK
Hello.

Here you have my suggestion:

Karin vs Robert - Both are wealthy

If you don´t have a problem to repeat Robert twice, could be a good option.

Sadly, repeating would make things rather awkward. Ken vs Terry would be fine, but Terry's against Cody which I think is perfectly justifiable.
The idea that's lingering in my head is Karin vs Kasumi because of the martial-arts correlation. Kasumi uses Aikido, and that's embedded into Kanzuki-ryu.
WIP Schedule:
#6  November 29, 2022, 11:10:18 pm
  • Take better care of the plants around u or become
  • the fertilizer that feeds them.The choice is yours
    • Chile
    • network.mugenguild.com/basara/
I was thinking in some:
-Real Ninjas: Ibuki/Hanzo (could be Samurai Shodown or World heroes, at least one of them have been POTS-ified AFAIK)
-Earth Forces: Urien/Yashiro

Those are the 2 I can think right now. I was thinking in a 3rd one of Bruce Lee clones: Fei Long and Kim Dragon (World Heroes) but I don't think the char was made a la POTS (I know the sprites are out there, but not sure if was converted into a MUGEN character). The others I'm not sure which parallel can find since all my guesses probably aren't in that style

Rest in peace, Toriyama-san...
Normal WIPS - ClayFighter - Ideas - Anti-Gouki Project - Lifebars - Facebook - X
#7  November 29, 2022, 11:11:05 pm
    • Canada
    • nanasarpong30655@gmail.com
uneven SNK aside
I go with Raiden vs Fei-long Fake wrester vs movie star
Kula Vs. Ibuki - Lay back
Kula Vs. B.B hood - cute on the outside, deadly weapon on the inside
Rock Vs. Karin? - I got nothing maybe rich Dads
Urien Vs. K - Leader of Evil organization simliar to NESTS (Both got their power from an Evil organization before being replaced)
#8  November 29, 2022, 11:11:34 pm
Ibuki Vs Eiji - Ninjas!

Sean Vs Rock would of been good - New Gen/Trainees

Raiden Vs Haggar - Wrestling/heel/face

K vs Fei would of been interesting too

Urien vs Goenitz???? idk about this one/ leaders/element vs element
#9  November 29, 2022, 11:32:29 pm
    • UK
I was thinking in some:
-Real Ninjas: Ibuki/Hanzo (could be Samurai Shodown or World heroes, at least one of them have been POTS-ified AFAIK)
-Earth Forces: Urien/Yashiro

Those are the 2 I can think right now. I was thinking in a 3rd one of Bruce Lee clones: Fei Long and Kim Dragon (World Heroes) but I don't think the char was made a la POTS (I know the sprites are out there, but not sure if was converted into a MUGEN character). The others I'm not sure which parallel can find since all my guesses probably aren't in that style

Ibuki's choice if fair, but I'm against pitting her against someone from the Past, and Fei and Dragon are just too similar IMO.
Urien's choice is better, being a member of the company's 'God group' (Illuminati vs Hakkeshu).

uneven SNK aside
I go with Raiden vs Fei-long Fake wrester vs movie star
Kula Vs. Ibuki - Lay back
Kula Vs. B.B hood - cute on the outside, deadly weapon on the inside
Rock Vs. Karin? - I got nothing maybe rich Dads
Urien Vs. K - Leader of Evil organization simliar to NESTS (Both got their power from an Evil organization before being replaced)

If it helps, you don't have to limit yourself to just what I've selected, since it's just gonna make things awkward.
And when it comes to Hood, I'd prefer if she was against some one that was non-KOF/FF/AOF.

Ibuki Vs Eiji - Ninjas!

Sean Vs Rock would of been good - New Gen/Trainees

Raiden Vs Haggar - Wrestling/heel/face

K vs Fei would of been interesting too

Urien vs Goenitz???? idk about this one/ leaders/element vs element

Ibuki vs Eiji is fair.

Sean is already used, so Sean vs Rock isn't taken.

Raiden vs Haggar is also fair enough.

K vs Fei sorta makes sense because of the Jeet Kune Do relation, but K is already used and Fei isn't as edgy.

Urien vs Goenitz is cool, especially since I've been wanting to throw Goenitz somewhere.
WIP Schedule:
#10  November 30, 2022, 12:33:26 am
  • ¡Ni p*ta ni santa! ¡Digo!

Fei-Long
Karin
Ibuki
Urien
B.B.Hood
Kula
Rock
Raiden

I'd keep the rivalries using as reference those in CvS and SvC. In these cases, I include both cvs 1/pro&2, then SvC MotM and SvC Chaos.

Think than in EVERY of these games, the characters are shown in PAIRS: Ryu and Ken are shown rivals to both Kyo and Terry, Morrigan to Nakoruru, etc. Then you can have some freedom, of course. I a mugen compilation for private use I did, I thought regular fighters(chun li, terry, etc) having teams of 3, mid bosses(yamazaki, claw, etc) teams of 2 and bosses(sagat, geese) are solo fighters.

So, I'd keep the amount of characters included in these 4 games, my suggestion for those you can not match are:

Karin  - Ryuhaku Todoh
Ibuki  -  Kasumi Todoh
Urien  - Ash Crimson
B.B.Hood  -  Akari (as in SvC MOTM)
Kula  -  Zero/Megaman
Rock  - Eagle or Kyosuke
Raiden  -  Hugo

EXPLANATION:

Karin / Ibuki    -    Ryuhaku / Kasumi 

In SFV, Ibuki works as bodyguard(kinda) to Karin. Karin is healthy, modern, and while Ibuki is shown as traditional, all she wants is to be a normal girl out of the ninjas and etc. This matches to the Todohs. Both Kasumi and Ryuhaku are traditional aikijujitsu(...) practitioners and dunno where I read but Kasumi is kinda "modern" at her own way.

Urien   -    Ash Crimson

yes, I'm aware you put Ash vs Remy in your roster. Of course a good option, but as Geese would say, predictable. WHY THIS THEN? Urien is from the hidden cult of the Illuminati while Ash got involved with Those from the Past. You could easily put human Saiki here, ofc, but for sprite wise, Ash is the most viable option. I may be updating Ash sheet into Saiki at some point, but not in the short term.

B.B.Hood   -   Akari

Darkstalkers / youkai hunters. Both adorable. Nothing more to add.

Kula   -   Zero/Megaman

Teens created in a lab- Zero could add more deepness because of the useof weapons and etc.

Rock   -   Eagle/Kyosuke

I'm doubting with these. Rock seems to be in the likes of Eagle, who refers to Howard with therms regarding gay slang(bottom, top). Also Eagle fighting with sticks may remember to the use of these by his father's former fellow Mr. Big. Et voilà.
Rock vs Kyosuke could be even better!! Both young pretty twinks promises for the next generation of fighters to arise. Also, both have some evil in their families, being Geese and Hyo.

Raiden   -   Hugo

I was surprised you didn't choose Zangief as the obvious choice. In this case, both Raiden and Hugo shares being former foes to the main star from their games. Both are big, strong wrestlers and etc. So why not.

Hope this helped you. Have a nice day!
I swear there was something cool here!!
#11  December 02, 2022, 07:44:01 am
  • $-$**Dreaming**$-$
    • South Korea
    • https://blog.naver.com/PostList.naver?blogId=blood72&from=postList&categoryNo=159
Fei-Long VS Marco Rodrigez
old kung fu vs karate movies rivalry theme, like way of the dragon with bruce lee and the other guy i forgot his name.

Karin vs Ingrid
There is a backstory about how Lily from Tekken was inspired by these 2 characters worth googling^^

Ibuki vs Guy
Ninjutsu meh?

Urien Vs Seth
Similar character design and the whole clone superhuman theme

B.B.Hood Vs Leona
Girls and Guns/explosives

Thats all I have^^
Not the best ideas but better than nothing i guess...
#12  December 02, 2022, 06:24:43 pm
  • ¡Ni p*ta ni santa! ¡Digo!

Karin vs Ingrid
There is a backstory about how Lily from Tekken was inspired by these 2 characters worth googling^^

Ibuki vs Guy
Ninjutsu meh?

Urien Vs Seth

All these are Capcom's. It'sabout a capcom-snk rivalry. Don't worry, just a smie mistake :P.
I swear there was something cool here!!
#13  December 02, 2022, 11:12:48 pm
  • Osu!
  • Dragon Destiny Project
    • Brazil
My suggestions:

Fei-Long vs Gato - Kung Fu masters/veterans
Marco vs Sean - Karate brazilian fighters/disciples (ansatsuken vs kyoguken)
Karin vs Jenet - "Glamorous" blondes girls
Ingrid vs Athena - Magical/godess girls
Ibuki vs Mai - Kunoichi girls
Guy vs Andy - Ninja guys
Urien vs Yamazaki - "insane" guys
Seth vs Adelheid - "Legacy" of Bison and Rugal

I hope I have helped you.

#14  December 03, 2022, 12:35:23 am
    • UK
Fei-Long VS Marco Rodrigez
old kung fu vs karate movies rivalry theme, like way of the dragon with bruce lee and the other guy i forgot his name.

Karin vs Ingrid

Ibuki vs Guy
Ninjutsu meh?

Urien Vs Seth

B.B.Hood Vs Leona
Girls and Guns/explosives

Thats all I have^^
Not the best ideas but better than nothing i guess...

Explosives are honestly the only thing Hood and Leona have in common, and Leona isn't psychotic enough (unless she's Orochi Leona).

My suggestions:

Fei-Long vs Gato - Kung Fu masters/veterans
Marco vs Sean - Karate brazilian fighters/disciples (ansatsuken vs kyoguken)
Karin vs Jenet - "Glamorous" blondes girls
Ingrid vs Athena - Magical/godess girls
Ibuki vs Mai - Kunoichi girls
Guy vs Andy - Ninja guys
Urien vs Yamazaki - "insane" guys
Seth vs Adelheid - "Legacy" of Bison and Rugal

I hope I have helped you.

Three of these are already used, Marco vs Sean, Ingrid vs Athena, and Guy vs Andy.

I'm keen on Fei-Long vs Gato, though.
I'm note sure about the rest, mainly Seth vs Adelheid, since I'd prefer if both rivals were sons or antagonist successors, same with Rock.
WIP Schedule:
Last Edit: December 03, 2022, 12:39:40 am by RagingRowen

NSL

#15  January 11, 2023, 11:29:05 am
    • USA
I'm super late to this, but I wanted to chime in. Man, this was more difficult than I thought it would be, but yeah.

As for the list: (I don't want to overlap, but I think FeLo did what I thought about with B.B. Hood and Akari, Raiden and Hugo)

Rock vs. Batsu? Both are considered young protagonists from their respective fighting games, are sons to antagonists and have considerably contrasting personalities.

Karin vs. Malin? I've placed Karin vs. Malin here as these are both actually wealthy fighters but their personalities and their approaches to fighting are different. Karin prides herself on fighting honorably hand-to-hand, Malin does not care for that, and will use anything and everything to get the win. I also thought of characters like Hinako Shijou for Karin as they both fit in to the cute noblewoman fighter archetype, and Ibuki for Malin as they are both students and Malin has some ninja-like tendencies, but I'm not sure if I consider Malin a ninja.

Fei-Long vs. Li Xiangfei? Or Gai Tendo? In the case of Li Xiangfei, she's a goofy comedic type who is knowledgeable about multiple styles of Kung-Fu, a personality contrast to Fei-Long, who is normally calm but serious, fiery and committed about his style and his movies. Xiangfei doesn't seem to care too much about famous people.

For Gai Tendo, why not have a fighter who is influenced by someone who has deeply influenced martial arts and MMA against a self-taught, brash and prodigious fighter who is all about Total Combat, the evolution of what MMA has turned into?

Kula vs. Crimson Viper? I have some flimsy excuses. Both have former ties to the big bad organizations and are considered good, and it's a case of someone who initially was bioengineered to be a cold-blooded weapon vs. someone who fights with a pretty sick battle suit.

SNT

#16  January 11, 2023, 01:12:57 pm
  • Super Old Bitter Dude
    • Australia
Fei-Long
Karin
Ibuki
Urien
B.B.Hood
Kula
Rock
Raiden

Fei-Long vs Hon-Fu - not an exact fit, I know, Hon Fu's more a Jackie Chan tribute than a Bruce Lee tribute. But people always made that comparison as well.
Karin vs Whip - battle of the ojou laugh
Ibuki vs Kisarah Westfield - the ninja who wants nothing more than to be a schoolgirl with a hunky boyfriend up against her worst possible match up: a schoolgirl who kills people by making them jealous of her hunky boyfriend.
Urien vs Yashiro / Chris - second fiddle to Gill who resents being in the shadow vs second fiddle to Orochi who doesn't seem to mind as much
BB Hood vs Jyazu / Mars People / Kusaregedo / etc. - the monster hunter vs a monster
Kula vs Tabasa - again, not an exact fit even if Tabasa uses a lot of ice-element magic, I'll be honest I'm just looking for an excuse to include Warzard
Rock vs Yun - both symbolic of the new generation, Rock of Terry and Yun of Gen/Chun-Li.
Raiden vs Haggar because they're both big meaty men slapping meat, and because you need to complete the Final Fight original trinity.
Last Edit: January 11, 2023, 01:21:04 pm by SNT
New #17  January 11, 2023, 03:59:50 pm
    • Brazil
    • chng.it/QbGdS8rbnh
Fei-Long vs. Hon-Fu
yep, I too think he ends up being the closest match. The SNK Wiki states that his inspiration is a mix of Bruce Lee and Jackie Chan, afterall.

Karin vs. Chizuru
wealthy gals

Ibuki vs. Malin
girls with knives

Ibuki vs. Hibiki
girls with slashing attacks

Urien vs. Krizalid
secret organization's second-in-command

B.B. Hood vs. Mars People
mercenary with lotsa guns vs. alien army with advanced technology. Sounds like a funny story; :P

Rock vs. Dante
stylish young men with a evil father

Lots of other ideias, although I don't know if there are full CvS/PoTS style renditions of all of them:

Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

Kula... now that's a kinda tough pair to make. I initially thought of someone like Anita - girls with a seemingly cold personality, who eventually got accompanied by other fighters. But then, most versions of Anita out there are mainly based on her Marvel Super Heroes secret appearance, which on itself feels... a little bit incomplete, to say the least.
  • Another idea may be, one of the Shadaloo dolls - being basically living weapons, similar to how Kula once was.

Raiden - You guys already pointed out the good ones, so I'm gonna be crazy here and suggest a character that originates from the Slam Masters series...! Specifically the one that is also designed after Big Van Vader - none other than The Grater!

Last Edit: January 12, 2023, 10:27:48 pm by NDSilva