YesNoOk

Random Topic V9 (Read 2029560 times)

Started by c001357, May 25, 2014, 07:28:05 pm
Share this topic:
Re: Random Topic V9
#501  July 02, 2014, 12:51:09 pm
  • This is going to be very entertaining.
    • USA
I just hate the way he presents his own subjective (and more often than not baseless) opinion as immutable fact.  If you're going to do a comparison between a game and it sequel like this, it really should be more thought out that screaming "I LIKE X GAME BETTER HERE'S HALF AN HOUR OF YELLING ABOUT SMALL THINGS I DIDN'T PARTICULARLY CARE FOR IN Y GAME WHICH IS TOTALLY TERRIBLE BECAUSE IT'S NOT X GAME."  As a comparable example, here's the video Extra Credits did about Bioshock Inifinte vs Bioshock 1:

They present thoughtful, well-reasoned arguments regarding the different ways Infinite stumbled in comparison to its predecessor, without also immediately dismissing it as garbage for a handful of shortcomings.

Also Extra Credits is generally pretty great as a whole and you should all watch it.
#502  July 02, 2014, 04:43:09 pm
re: egoraptor
There's a livestream recording of this guy using a strategy guide and still getting lost in the fire temple. He somehow got lost so badly he was in Hyrule Field.
jfc
#503  July 02, 2014, 04:49:43 pm
  • Hick-spanic
  • the dawn away
    • Puerto Rico
Why would anyone care about anything Ego says after he recorded hundreds of hours of him knowing zilch about games?
might as well shill: https://twitter.com/FraudKrew
the streams are here: https://www.twitch.tv/robotboombox
#504  July 02, 2014, 05:00:56 pm
Sure it did. You couldn't get to Death Mountain without the power gloves, and couldn't get much of anywhere in the Dark World without the Hammer, just from the top of my head.
True, but OoT pushed that quite a lot : you need Zelda's letter to enter the mountain, Epona to access the Gerudo area, the lense of truth to access the desert, the fire tunic to access the volcano... And that's what made the game linear, you get those stuff in a certain order and you do the temples in a certain order. Most Zeldas have their dungeons locked in certain orders, but it's more often just the temple itself (you walk around in the general area but you can't enter) ; for something similar in OoT, the hookshot is only needed to really enter the forest temple, you can go up to the entrance without it, but the volcano, the mountain etc. are locked. I think Majora's Mask was even worse, were the 4 regions fully locked in a certain order or could you do them however you wanted... ?
OoT was really linear - but it's not a bad thing.
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 05:04:40 pm by DKDC
#505  July 02, 2014, 05:03:33 pm
  • The story begins with who's gonna win
    • USA
Why would anyone care about anything Ego says after he recorded hundreds of hours of him knowing zilch about games?

Yeah that was my feeling. Sequelitis became suspect somewhere around the second month of Grumps.
Nevermind, there's nothing I can do
Bet your life there's something killing you
It's a shame we have to die, my dear
No one's getting out of here alive
This time
What a way to go, but have no fear
This time
It's a shame we have to disappear
This time, this time, this time
#506  July 02, 2014, 05:41:05 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
Sure it did. You couldn't get to Death Mountain without the power gloves, and couldn't get much of anywhere in the Dark World without the Hammer, just from the top of my head.
True, but OoT pushed that quite a lot : you need Zelda's letter to enter the mountain, Epona to access the Gerudo area, the lense of truth to access the desert, the fire tunic to access the volcano... And that's what made the game linear, you get those stuff in a certain order and you do the temples in a certain order. Most Zeldas have their dungeons locked in certain orders, but it's more often just the temple itself (you walk around in the general area but you can't enter) ; for something similar in OoT, the hookshot is only needed to really enter the forest temple, you can go up to the entrance without it, but the volcano, the mountain etc. are locked. I think Majora's Mask was even worse, were the 4 regions fully locked in a certain order or could you do them however you wanted... ?
OoT was really linear - but it's not a bad thing.

I owned lttp back hen I had a snes, you can fuck up the game progression a lot by ignoring certain items/power ups and even more by getting out of dungeons after getting it's progression item.
#507  July 02, 2014, 05:45:44 pm
  • #1 Boss Lady
    • UK
#508  July 02, 2014, 06:08:53 pm
#509  July 02, 2014, 08:26:23 pm
  • üks kurb olend
    • Finland
Thanks doc.
conscious dreamers can be treasurer to their own currency
im a conscious dreamer
therefore i can be treasurer to my own currency

i can be the mind controller
#510  July 02, 2014, 09:27:51 pm
  • 90's Kawaii
  • :thinking:
    • Guatemala
@Byakko: It's been a long time since I played OoT, but I'm pretty sure you can mess around a bit with Adult Link's temple completition order. The fire temple and forest temple are both available after getting the Hookshoot, and I'm sure you only need the bow to complete the water temple.

I think also think it's possible to get to the desert without Epona (using the longshoot), but that might be bullshit.

Also, yeah, MM is entirely lineal (the sidequest are the exception, though) and 3/4 of the overworld require key items.
Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 09:32:54 pm by Chopped Liver
#511  July 02, 2014, 11:01:18 pm
  • Double-Crosser
  • I'm not standing out. This isn't weird at all.
    • USA
I remember once I played OoT in fucked up progression, Fire -> Forest -> Water -> Spirit -> Shadow. It was super hard playing the Spirit Temple without Hoverboots!

Meanwhile when I play LttP, I ALWAYS sequence break. After I get the Hammer, I go straight to the fourth Dark World dungeon to get the Titan's Mitt (to get the tempered Master Sword early), then I go to the Swamp dungeon before the Ice dungeon because fuck doing that block switch puzzle, just use the Cane of Somaria on that lone switch and you're all set.

I will say that while I'm in the "LttP is better" club, OoT has some really inventive puzzles (ie: use mirror shield to burn a statue's face off) that while dated are pretty fun (well, except the Water Temple).
#512  July 02, 2014, 11:45:47 pm
Took a look at the video
dug my eyeballs out of my skull when he started to yell that dialogs and text were bad
that is all
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
#513  July 03, 2014, 01:11:40 am
  • (´ー`)ノ
So fucking sensitive over a video god damn. Why so much anger over bashing a shitty game .__.
#514  July 03, 2014, 01:13:51 am
  • Dead and buried.
    • Finland
Superbunnyhop makes the best review/analysis videos about games.
"Multiple exclamation marks are a sure sign of a diseased mind."

"Okay, okay. So you put a Nazi on the Moon. Fuck you, Moon."
#515  July 03, 2014, 01:21:02 am
So fucking sensitive over a video god damn. Why so much anger over bashing a shitty game .__.
i dont think anyone is really angry about the video they just think it is bad
#516  July 03, 2014, 01:42:26 am
    • tehwii@gmail.com
#517  July 03, 2014, 10:02:32 am
Or because the actual content of the video, the things the guy says, are fucking retarded, regardless of the quality of the game
#518  July 03, 2014, 12:18:46 pm
  • If you’re gonna reach for a star...
  • reach for the lowest one you can.
    • USA
    • network.mugenguild.com/jmorphman
I think we can all agree that OoT has flaws, but Egoaptor's video is histrionic and mostly nitpicking about things that aren't really problems, all contained in a poorly paced (there is no fucking reason it needed to be 31 goddamn minutes) video with bad humor and way too much ear-wrenchingly awful shrieking.

Spoiler: this could go in QOTD if I transcribed it but I don't feel like it so here's an iPhone screenshot of tumblr post, which isn't excessive at all (click to see content)
Fuck you Canadians, get your own thing.
#519  July 03, 2014, 06:17:16 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
That's weird about the usa, why does the state of canada get a prim minister and the washington dc can't get a senator?
#520  July 03, 2014, 07:17:10 pm
kanada is a myth.