YesNoOk

entertainment news that don't deserve their own thread (Read 1341330 times)

Started by Titiln, June 18, 2011, 03:16:32 am
Share this topic:
Re: entertainment news that don't deserve their own thread
#841  October 20, 2013, 08:59:56 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
just like xmen genetics.
#842  October 20, 2013, 09:06:07 pm
Going out of your way to change a character's race purely for the sake of being able to say you have diversity is dumb.   It doesn't do any service to the character, or really make any meaningful change in any way.  All it does is come off as the studio executives wanting to be able to pat themselves on the back and tell everybody how progressive they are.  It's almost patronizing, in a way.
epic this
#843  October 21, 2013, 01:44:15 am
  • [E]
    • Mexico
#844  October 21, 2013, 01:52:53 am
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
that show isnt made by disney, they are just calling her a disney princess because disney had a mulan movie.
#845  October 21, 2013, 02:09:51 am
  • The story begins with who's gonna win
    • USA
Nevermind, there's nothing I can do
Bet your life there's something killing you
It's a shame we have to die, my dear
No one's getting out of here alive
This time
What a way to go, but have no fear
This time
It's a shame we have to disappear
This time, this time, this time
#846  October 21, 2013, 02:12:23 am
  • 90's Kawaii
  • :thinking:
    • Guatemala
Maybe in the universe the movie happens, people can be born with random skin colors. It's mahvel baby!

...That's the real world. How do you think we all came to have different colors?
#847  October 21, 2013, 02:13:46 am
  • 日本は素晴らしい国です。
huh, i assumed that it was just a fairytale show using the same characters. thats some crazy stuff there.
#848  October 21, 2013, 02:23:58 am
#849  October 21, 2013, 02:34:39 am
  • The story begins with who's gonna win
    • USA
huh, i assumed that it was just a fairytale show using the same characters. thats some crazy stuff there.

It was a brilliant move when you think about it. They further cement their revisions of the characters as timeless storybook fairy tales, and they protect themselves from any lawsuit from Warner Bros. on behalf of DC Comics and Bill WIllingham.

You know, since they kind of stole the idea from Fables.
Nevermind, there's nothing I can do
Bet your life there's something killing you
It's a shame we have to die, my dear
This time
What a way to go, but have no fear
This time
It's a shame we have to disappear
This time, this time, this time
#850  October 21, 2013, 02:46:26 am
  • Portrait Prodigy EX+
    • mugenguild.com/forum/topics/saikoros-high-resolution-mugen-portraits-fatal-fury-full-set-145724.0.html
All of your Mugen Portrait needs may be found HERE.

I'd like to report two robots on the MFG forums: One is EXShadow. The other is Saikoro.
There should be a Saikoro plugin for Photoshop.
#851  October 21, 2013, 06:21:37 am
  • If you’re gonna reach for a star...
  • reach for the lowest one you can.
    • USA
    • network.mugenguild.com/jmorphman
So it turns out Allison Williams is not Sue, but everyone in the running is still white, which is still silly.

And apparently Jon Snow from Game of Thrones is in the running to play Reed, which is just, fuck you. Reed is not a goddamn teenager, don't do Ultimate Fantastic Four or something. God, Michael B. Jordan just got my hopes up, made me forget that Mark Millar is helping with this, that Fox is still in charge.

What exactly is the benefit there?
Puts new spin on franchise, helps distance the reboot from the last two movies, gives the opportunity to say something about race and family, gives Michael B. Jordan an acting role, tons of things. Who gives a fuck if it messes with "lore"?

I'm not talking about the change but about a new Fantastic Four movie being produced. One of the lamest superheroe franchises ever.
Get out.

And then read the original Lee/Kirby run, and also maybe the Waid run. Shit is fantas--it's great. Really good. Some of the most inventive comics ever.

You know, I think there's another POV in this situation, what if the current actor was the best suited to play as Johnny Storm? Maybe they picked him because he was the best in the casting and not because he was black.
I would guess that he was chosen (well technically he's not officially cast, only doing been asked to test, but whatever) because he worked with the director before (in Chronicle) and he has gotten and is getting a lot of praise for his acting work.

They should make them ALL black. Michael B. Jordan, Kerry Washington, Terry Crews and Denzel. Who wouldn't see THAT movie?
I was actually thinking that Kerry Washington would be a good Sue; she's great, and she's not stupidly young. But oh man that cast is so good!

You know, since they kind of stole the idea from Fables.
Eh, well, Willingham did go out of his way to say they were distinct and it was in no way a ripoff, but even so, I just can't stop seeing it as a cheap imitation, or at least a failure in taking advantage of its premise like Fables does.

God I want a Fables TV show.

SNT

#852  October 21, 2013, 06:51:49 am
  • Super Old Bitter Dude
    • Australia
Puts new spin on franchise
Let's ask Halle Berry how well that worked for Catwoman.
gives the opportunity to say something about race and family
Say what?  "If you don't like it, you're a bigot"?
gives Michael B. Jordan an acting role
Who?
Who gives a fuck if it messes with "lore"?
Fans of the comics?  That is, anyone who'd bother watching a Fantastic Four movie?
#853  October 21, 2013, 06:55:21 am
    • USA
Let's ask Halle Berry how well that worked for Catwoman.
Halle Berry's race isn't why that movie sucked ass.

Say what?  "If you don't like it, you're a bigot"?
What are you talking about. It gives them an opportunity to say something interesting, though I doubt they'd take try anything, even if they used, say, Speedpreacher's imaginary cast. But the potential is there, and the potential is interesting.

Fans of the comics?  That is, anyone who'd bother watching a Fantastic Four movie?
If you're a fan of the Fantastic Four and Johnny Storm being black bugs you, you need to get a reality check.
#854  October 21, 2013, 07:32:58 am
it could very well bug him because, like you said, it "puts a new spin on the franchise". you can't say the change in race could accomplish several things and then say it doesn't matter and that anyone bothered by it needs a reality check. it's one or the other
#855  October 21, 2013, 07:34:37 am
    • USA
It doesn't matter from a character/lore perspective, is what I'm saying. It does give them new thematic opportunities, though.
#856  October 21, 2013, 08:06:33 am
    • USA
If anything, the Fantastic Four series is the one in need for some new interesting spins, lame ass boring superhero team.
#857  October 21, 2013, 08:19:37 am
  • (´ー`)ノ
The reason I hate this change is because now I'll be labeled as a fucking racist for not approving of that change! Same thing happened with Nick Fury. I mean it wouldn't be bad having them be black if you know they were done right. Black Nick Fury looks so ridiculous... but that's just me. Also PersonMan pretty much summed up what I feel when it comes to changing someone's race.
#858  October 21, 2013, 08:27:32 am
    • USA

GOH

#859  October 21, 2013, 10:19:29 am
  • Pure radge
    • Portugal
I liked black Nick Fury. I just can't imagine black Johnny Storm for some reason. Maybe because I'm picturing his usual personality and dialogue coming out of Jordan and it sounds weird in my head.

Then again everything is weird in my head. :(
#860  October 21, 2013, 03:03:17 pm
  • This is going to be very entertaining.
    • USA
gives the opportunity to say something about race and family

All that it says about race and family is that they don't understand anything about it.  You want a compelling black character?  Then you write a compelling black character.  You can't just take a white character, change the color of its skin and nothing else, then point to it and say "this means we are racial diversity now."