YesNoOk

How do you bypass Super Armor? (Read 3266 times)

Started by Nep Heart, July 27, 2018, 08:16:21 am
Share this topic:
How do you bypass Super Armor?
#1  July 27, 2018, 08:16:21 am
  • CPU Purple Heart
    • USA
    • https://www.pixiv.net/en/users/8108265
 Question as asked in the tin. It's been a problem that has plagued me while I've been working on my current MUGEN project since her lv3 is supposed to put the target into a custom state via targetstate with a movehit trigger. It works perfectly fine on characters without super armor, but characters who do have it, well... the entire attack sequence goes through, but the target doesn't go into the custom state assigned by the move.

If there is no viable way to bypass super armor, I'd at least be content with an alternative where the move failed, but not sure what reliable triggers would be needed to detect super armor to avoid playing the remaining attack sequence otherwise.

----
Actually, never mind about the failsafe alternative, just found one that could work.

However, the "bypass super armor" question still stands.
Last Edit: July 28, 2018, 04:05:33 am by Nep Heart
Re: How do you bypass Super Armor?
#2  July 27, 2018, 12:30:25 pm
  • Shame on you!
    • USA
I'm not sure if there is just ONE way to code super armor. So answering how to bypass it wouldn't be to easy to answer.
Like I think there's one way to put a helper on top of the character to take hits. Then I think there's a way to set a variable that sends the character back to the same state using a hitoverride. There's probably more than a few ways to do it.

You're probably going to have to come up with a way to make sure P2 is in the proper state you need it to be in. If not, spawn a helper on it's position to keep attacking until it is. That'd be my best guess.
vVv Ryuko718 Updated 10/31/22 vVv
#3  July 27, 2018, 12:44:30 pm
Super Armor is designed to ignore hit reel, so they'll never enter the custom state even if they are hit.

I suppose you could give your attack a Throw flag (super armor generally loses to throws), but that'll cause issues against other types of characters. Also, it would still depend on how their super armor was coded.
#4  July 27, 2018, 09:07:32 pm
  • CPU Purple Heart
    • USA
 The closest alternative I can think of is using a trigger that detects that the opponent failed to be put into custom state and have the lv3's initial hit loop back into itself until it breaks the super armor or its variable count expires.

It kinda gives it a messy look, but I suppose it's better than the custom state failing altogether. Maybe there are better suggestions than what I'm going for.
#5  July 27, 2018, 09:32:01 pm
    • www.justnopoint.com/
I make the super combos end early. Or cause a knockback if the char dashed in for example. If the opponent doesn't go into custom state even if it hits then it must be a form of armor.
#6  July 27, 2018, 11:47:39 pm
  • Resident Tosspot
  • Pftheh
    • UK
    • plasmoidthunder.neocities.org
You use TargetState and check to see if the opponent has actually gone into the custom state for your character's ChangeState; if they haven't, then they've got armour and your character can then do whatever happens when the move misses or is blocked, as opposed to continuing with the rest of the attack.

Oh, I want a diagram. I fucking love diagrams.
#7  July 28, 2018, 01:32:45 am
  • CPU Purple Heart
    • USA
 Hmm, I think I've figured part of the problem may be that the character whose super armor that I'm testing it may also not be very well coded. I've tried the solutions suggested here and they work fine on other super armor characters, but this particular character makes the lv3 problem persist no matter what.

2OS

#8  July 28, 2018, 03:07:57 am
  • 608 Wannabe
  • Ich schicke dich zur HOELLE!! STIRB DU FEIGLING!!
    • Egypt
1. sequential moves are not unlike throws. you either hit or miss. with this said you want to not use targetstate and instead use p2stateno with the hitdef. there is a hard programmed behavior that causes hitdefs with p2stateno to completely ignore your average super armor.

2. a lesser recommended alternative is to simply selfstate if p2stateno!=your custom state.

2. there is a way to "bypass" super armor but it requires a glitch and unorthodox execution.

3. there are various ways to code super armor.
#9  July 28, 2018, 03:21:20 am
  • CPU Purple Heart
    • USA
 I mostly want to avoid putting p2stateno in the attack's hitdef because it causes the move to bug out the opponent whenever the lv3 trades. I've discovered targetstate worked better for preventing that bug.

Yeah, super armor coming in different methods is why I find it difficult to deal with them.

If super armor is really that complicated where viable means aren't really reliable, I may have to settle with just having two different changestates based on whether the opponent goes into custom state or not.
#10  July 28, 2018, 03:40:53 am
    • www.justnopoint.com/
That's what I suggested =p And yeah, I'd never use P2StateNo in the hitdef.
#11  July 28, 2018, 04:04:27 am
  • CPU Purple Heart
    • USA
 Yeah, I'll settle with that then because it's working pretty fine with the exception of a certain terribly made character whose super armor doesn't reset properly, but I shouldn't be so caught up with making a move work against a badly coded character in the first place.

Pretty disappointing to learn that armor breaking moves are not practical to code in MUGEN, but I still thank you all a lot for taking the time to cooperate with me to come to a functional alternative.

2OS

#12  July 28, 2018, 06:32:14 am
  • 608 Wannabe
  • Ich schicke dich zur HOELLE!! STIRB DU FEIGLING!!
    • Egypt
i mean it kind of is practical to code it just involves what's documented as a glitch.

what you would do is make a helper with a massive attack clsn and give it a vaguely defined reversaldef.

[State ]
type=reversaldef
trigger1=1
numhits=0
reversal.attr=acs,aa,ap,at
sparkno=-1

[State Drop Helper Targets]
type=targetdrop
trigger1=numtarget&&numenemy
trigger1=target,id!=enemy,id
trigger1=target,id!=enemy(numenemy=2),id

the glitch is

1. with reversaldef your target never drops when you obtain it unless you use the targetdrop controller.
2. reversaldef works against hitoverride.

this allows that helper to use any target controller at will. so you could set up a targetstate here with trigger1=root,movehit=1 to your custom state and it would work even if you hit helper armor.

this is how i got cvsyamazaki's grab winpose to work.