YesNoOk

Gundam Wing - What the hell just happened? (Read 4759 times)

Started by Shundhi, August 16, 2011, 02:02:20 pm
Share this topic:

hjk

Gundam Wing - What the hell just happened?
#1  August 16, 2011, 02:02:20 pm
  • Watch my fro grow as you go, go, go, go, go.
    • Afghanistan
So it's basically taken me over two years to get through half of the series. I'm not a big anime fan, but I started to view GW in the hopes that my tastes had matured and that my complete hatred for it as a kid would have subsided by now. Needless to say, I was wrong.

Being a student of Politics, the prepubescent, man-voiced boys of Gundam Wing really irritated me. Their constant spewings of nonsensical ideological Bullshit and the toolbaggish ways in which they each carried themselves, seemed like propaganda balled into an anime.
'I refuse to fight back: Total Pacifism is the way of peace.'
'Mechanized warfare is wrong - humans should be fighting.'
'War is beautiful - it is the truest expression man and himself.'
'Doubting others won't get you anywhere.'
Are there life lessons here. I feel like a little doll/follower just for listening to this crap.

Every one of the characters (save Duo and Zecks) annoyed the living Christ out of me.
- Relena - I'm in love with a boy who hits me and threatens to kill me at every pass. I'm obsessed with peace brought at the expense of other people's lives. Throughout most of the episodes she basically gives one line over and over: "Heero."
- Heero - I hate the overdone mindless personality that's indifferent to everything. Seen the cold, heartlesss, lifeless doll act 50 times before. I'm bored of it.
- Trowa - Same as Hero
- Quetre - He's like an even more annoying, more whiny version of Relena. "The Gundams aren't needed in outer space." Every time he says, "This is wrong!" I find myself asking, 'By virtue of what?!' There's no explanation, and his lines are hard to follow especially because without the Gundams the "Evil" OZ organization would take over virtually unopposed. I don't get it....
- Chang - Annoying. Why does he feel the need to YELL all of his lines?

I am having a very rough time making it through the series. Does anyone agree with me? Did anyone actually like the series and why?

Just a Note: It's pretty evident that I hate it, I just want to see what other people's opinions are so I "might" look at it a little differently although that's probably unlikely.
LOL, Caddie's the man!! ;)

I'm as real as the runnin, I just happen to rap, Nigaas London, Japan, and i'm scared of dat tap.

I suggest extending my banning, cuz when I come back, it's gonna be hell. You think I was annoying before, oh man, it's on now :)
hjk vs. 99% of MFG. I will win.

RIP Poo Bear Tell my Dead Homie isson, for the year my partner.
Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 02:09:58 pm by Shundhi
Re: Gundam Wing - What the hell just happened?
#2  August 16, 2011, 04:22:29 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
Generally speaking gundam overall is a very average mecha series, aprticularly speaking gundam wing is one of the worse and some of the best gundam series can actually go with the big boys. that being said I avoid gundam becasue I know that if I start watching it I will watch both the good and the bad and the mediocre series and i don't feel like going thru the bad ones.
#3  August 16, 2011, 04:34:03 pm
  • Madman
  • Honorary Asshole
read Frozen Teardrop someday, at least Duo and Zecks are now 9000.0 of 10.0 in scale of badassery
#4  August 16, 2011, 04:45:08 pm
  • The story begins with who's gonna win
    • USA
The only Gundam series I've ever liked are G and Turn A. G for embracing it's stupidity, and Turn A for actually giving a damn about 90% of its cast. I can appreciate UC, but I had the unfortunate luck to watch it after series like Seed drove its concepts into the ground.

I haven't watched Wing since it was on Toonami, but we were making the same jokes about it then that you are now. You missed one:
"It's a Gundam!" *explodes*
Nevermind, there's nothing I can do
Bet your life there's something killing you
It's a shame we have to die, my dear
No one's getting out of here alive
This time
What a way to go, but have no fear
This time
It's a shame we have to disappear
This time, this time, this time
#5  August 16, 2011, 05:15:12 pm
I enjoyed Wing when it first aired but when I tried to rewatch it recently, I thought it was awful. I could barely get through the first ten episodes. Like you said, the characters annoyed the hell out of me.

I couldn't stand Turn A either because all the event leading up to the conflict made no sense to me and I couldn't understand how all it snow balled into armed conflict. The premise was interesting though and the music was nice.
#6  August 16, 2011, 06:50:48 pm
  • AWWW YEAAA!!!
    • usetheforcehan.deviantart.com
The only thing that keep me watch this awful series is Duo and his badass Deathscythe.
#7  August 17, 2011, 05:29:14 am
  • ゴゴゴゴゴ
#8  August 18, 2011, 01:46:51 am
gundam sucks deal with it.

http://- Heero - I hate the overdone mindless personality that's indifferent to everything. Seen the cold, heartlesss, lifeless doll act 50 times before. I'm bored of it.

these two perfected it.
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 01:54:06 am by 地獄の花
#9  August 18, 2011, 02:11:54 am
  • [E]
    • Mexico
I love the overdone mindless personality that's indifferent to everything when it's properly justified, like bernkastel or homura; but some times it's done just becasue it's cool and that's when it loses it's meaning.
#10  August 18, 2011, 02:32:12 am
  • It does not block punches. Stop trying, we are dumb fucks spamming this site for ten yearss!
    • Argentina
Macross is better here. (Only here?)

BTW, Gundam toys aren't body sprays!  >:(
#11  August 18, 2011, 05:39:25 am
  • [E]
    • Mexico
The general rule is that cold characters that kill using their bare hands or other personal means are cool while if you are inside a mecha you have to be overly enthusiastic to be cool.

hjk

#12  August 18, 2011, 06:43:25 am
  • Watch my fro grow as you go, go, go, go, go.
    • Afghanistan
read Frozen Teardrop someday, at least Duo and Zecks are now 9000.0 of 10.0 in scale of badassery
Worth of shot I guess.
Don't. It's worse than a fanfic.
Orrrr......  :S

but we were making the same jokes about it then that you are now. You missed one: "It's a Gundam!" *explodes*
YES! QFT!

... the music was nice.
Aside from Turn A (and pretty much all other Gundams) which I didn't even know existed until reading this thread 9and probably will avoid) Wing's music was pretty good. It set the mood very well and was the only positive, I think. Some say the animation is grea, but I disagree.

The only thing that keep me watch this awful series is Duo and his badass Deathscythe.
By virtue of pure epicness, a series should be made starring Duo and Zechs. I'd like to assume that fans adored those two far more than God-awful couple that is Heero and Relena. I pity any girl that would call him (Heero) boyfriend material.

these two perfected it.
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
I love the overdone mindless personality that's indifferent to everything when it's properly justified, like bernkastel or homura; but some times it's done just becasue it's cool and that's when it loses it's meaning.
You guys are dropping names that I don't recognize. care to give me the series because I couldn't use google properly without the pics/names attached.
LOL, Caddie's the man!! ;)

I'm as real as the runnin, I just happen to rap, Nigaas London, Japan, and i'm scared of dat tap.

I suggest extending my banning, cuz when I come back, it's gonna be hell. You think I was annoying before, oh man, it's on now :)
hjk vs. 99% of MFG. I will win.

RIP Poo Bear Tell my Dead Homie isson, for the year my partner.
#13  August 18, 2011, 07:02:13 am
  • ゴゴゴゴゴ
#14  August 18, 2011, 11:25:18 am
  • Nothing ever ends
    • Portugal
    • www.justnopoint.com/loona
Aside from Turn A (and pretty much all other Gundams) which I didn't even know existed until reading this thread 9and probably will avoid)

I haven't seen Turn A (I've only watched the 3 compilation movies of the original Mobile Suit Gundam - the story generally holds up well even if it may look dated to some), but it's probably best enjoyed if you've had prior experience with other Gundam series, as it's apparently intended to merge elements from all of them, as if all of their separate continuities had merged into a single timeline in the distant future, and it plays a bit with the concept.
For example, it seems the very first weapon they find for the titular Turn A Gundam (it seems during the series most if not all of the mechs are dug up from silos stored in previous eras, and weapons and stored separately) is this chain with a spiked ball in it - a weapon that was used in the original MSG series, but was later deemed too silly to be referenced in the compilation movies, but they embrace that silly thing for a while until more tech from the under Gundam continuities is dug up.

My notions of it are really rough, and most come from this Let's Play of Super Robot Wars Alpha Gaiden, which uses elements from the Universal Century, Gundam Wing, Turn A and Gundam X continuities, so I'm only aware of bits and pieces, but SRW has a reputation for tending to use the more interesting elements of the series it uses and often mocking the sillier ones in the process and it's been an interesting read and could be a rough introduction to the others, I guess.
The things that stick out about Wing in it are that the music sounds fun, Wufei is stupid and everyone's notions of politics seem to lack grounding in logistics (why no, I don't think blowing up your Gundam will help stop all wars, people will resort to pointy sticks if they really want to keep going).

You guys are dropping names that I don't recognize. care to give me the series because I couldn't use google properly without the pics/names attached.

Macross isn't a character but a series - I've only watched the original (generally good stuff, though most things Minmei in it annoy me; it's also covered in that Let's Play I linked to) but there are a few others which I'm not sure if they're in the same continuity.
Aesthetically, expect jets that can turn into humanoid shapes and something in between (a the titular Macross is pretty much a gigantic space vessel pretty much containing a city, civillians and all, that also transforms to an extent). Plot-wise, coming of age story, relationships going in more or less interesting directions, culture clashes, and music tends to play a big role which from my superficial notions of it, was taken in crazy directions in Macross 7.
#15  August 18, 2011, 12:41:14 pm
  • ゴゴゴゴゴ
Turn-X has the Shining Gundam's Shining Finger, and according to SRW, it's related to the Devil/Ultimate Gundam.
#16  August 19, 2011, 01:55:03 am
  • [E]
    • Mexico
The music in macross is ised to justify a lto fo stuff and tends to be overdone, not so much with personal relationships and most combats, those are nice; homura and berkanstel do not come from mecha series thats why i did not go further.
#17  August 19, 2011, 04:51:57 pm
  • The Ultimate Shield
  • I WANT IT ALL!!!
Gundam Unicorn.

That is all.
GOH: bmc would tell birds that they're broken because they shouldn't air recover.
#18  August 19, 2011, 06:04:22 pm
  • I'm behind you!!!
Ive watched all the series up to G Gundam and G sucks. it makes no sense at all. I can understand a mobile suit but mobile fighter lacks sense. off topic a bit but metal gear makes more sense than G GUNDAM. For those outside the know here G GUNDAM has mobile fighters instead of mobile suits..Instead of sitting in a fighter jet strapped in the pilots are surrounded in what looks like some kind of rubber suit that somehow monitors the persons movements and the gundam does whatever the person does...they cant fly around and are linited to the humans strength. Wing vs G wing would dominate. also the lead character called Domon also learns techniques outside of the gundam ala slashing rocks in half as well as gundams which makes no sense atall. my guess is G wasnt thought out very well. in a machine like gundam you would be moving around at high speeds and changing directions constantly. youd be shaken around like soda in a can. thats one thing metal gear and gundam have in common. I hate G gundam.
#19  August 19, 2011, 06:40:06 pm
  • Nothing ever ends
    • Portugal
    • www.justnopoint.com/loona
Didn't G Gundam come out when DBZ was still fairly popular?
That would explain its style and why it's so different from the others, not to mention it gave the franchise an opportunity to play with the style of other kinds of mecha series.
I'm yet to see G Gundam, but I've seen some praise for its plot here and there, despite its sillier aspects...
It's not like giving mech things like feathered wings, a cloak or half of a clown mask make a whole lot of sense either, but they do help the mechs stand out when you're trying to sell toys...
#20  August 20, 2011, 12:42:30 am
  • ゴゴゴゴゴ
Ive watched all the series up to G Gundam and G sucks.
Protip. G-Gundam has stuff that's more believable/better explained than in UC (And then it has some far fetched stuff, yes)
Sounds like you're being a complete idiot (No wonder) because you're taking G seriously and you're not familiar with Imagawa's directon.

and the gundam does whatever the person does...they cant fly around and are linited to the humans strength.

Who the hell says they're limited to human strength? Not to mention that pilots go under a rigorous training to wear the mobile trace suit and their strength is hardly the same as an average human. Also, replicating human movement is a huge challenge, that says a lot about FC's technology. Finally, the Gundams can actually fly, did you EVEN watch the series? Troll harder you idiot.

Wing vs G wing would dominate.
Citation needed.
While Wing's Buster rifle is broken as fuck, God Gundam is even more broken with his multiplication technique and Hyper mode.

also the lead character called Domon also learns techniques outside of the gundam ala slashing rocks in half as well as gundams which makes no sense atall.
How is that less believable than the newtype aspect in UC?

my guess is G wasnt thought out very well. in a machine like gundam you would be moving around at high speeds and changing directions constantly. youd be shaken around like soda in a can. thats one thing metal gear and gundam have in common. I hate G gundam.

The mobile trace system chamber has a stabilizer so your complains are plain stupid.