YesNoOk

Super Smash Bros Ultimate (Read 746075 times)

Started by GTOAkira, March 09, 2018, 12:23:32 am
Share this topic:
Re: Super Smash Bros Ultimate
#2361  February 18, 2021, 12:19:50 am
  • Skateboard Game Enthusiast
  • Slowly but surely!
    • USA
    • joeythetricky.wixsite.com/mugen
God dammit, Sakurai.

That is all.
#2362  February 18, 2021, 12:20:31 am
  • This is going to be very entertaining.
    • USA
#2363  February 18, 2021, 12:22:02 am
  • Are you ready?
    • USA
I do have one thing to say though: why does the ship's head look a lot like eva-01 from Neon Genesis Evangelion
Last Edit: February 18, 2021, 12:30:12 am by drewski90
#2364  February 18, 2021, 12:30:16 am
    • Puerto Rico
    • www.youtube.com/user/Darkflares
#2365  February 18, 2021, 12:35:42 am
    • Brazil
I don't have problems with anime-ish characters per say, but Jesus, it's becoming quite repetitive due to how generic those are.
#2366  February 18, 2021, 12:39:48 am
  • ???
    • UK
    • Skype - koopakootmugen
I'm so hyped for Pyra and Mythra. Their page is up on the smash bros site.
This reminds me that I need to roll for KOS-MOS in XB2 lol.
#2367  February 18, 2021, 12:40:11 am
  • Proper order of things is often a mystery to me
    • USA
Jeez, Dante keeps looking weirder and weirder each time he comes out.  I thought the Smash devs were professionals about this.

So, this one personally I'm considerably less annoyed about than Byleth from a year-or-so back because the Xeno conglomerate by and large is considerably less represented than it could be, and while I can't count myself amongst the fans it has it does leave big enough a mark that it really SHOULD be more than Shulk.  Granted that mark is also about as big as a Mana series character or Phantasy Star or whatever, just sayin', Crono's been lonely for the longest time with Square.

This character in a sense was also supposedly going to be in the base game and circumstance just prevented it, so this is more fulfilling a promise, kinda.  Either way, they're an actual CHARCTER over a self-insert, so I personally appreciate that more at least.  This character(s) are comically ridiculous in their designs though.  It's like a Xenogears artist got addicted to playing Dragon's Crown.  Still unlikely to play them regardless.  The sword thing's starting to wear on me as well, frankly, without prior first-hand knowledge of the character.  At least Sephiroth is a childhood icon.

I think the thing most bothering me is a possible misunderstanding by simply not playing the games and my knowledge comes from hearsay.  But it was my understanding that the ladies literally WERE the swords?  Your zanpakto or what have you, they're spirits or A.I. or something living in the sword.  They can't themselves lift them and use them, that's the whole reason why they have masters.  And tying into gameplay they stand off on the side and channel their power into the sword which Blue MC Hammerpants uses in combat.

Just confirming my understanding their usage here in Smash is lore breaking?  Would not be the first time, just odd to see the practice continued.
Last Edit: February 18, 2021, 12:43:44 am by Long John Killer
#2368  February 18, 2021, 12:51:42 am
    • Mexico
Next to other character ideas out there, I can take Mythra and Pyra. I know there was a crowd begging for another Xenoblade character and that's pretty good as is.
Also, it's very funny to think how people were excited about ARMs and Xenoblade 2 being back on the menu when the pass first started, thinking they'd get Spring Man and Rex, just for other characters to appear in their places.
#2369  February 18, 2021, 01:00:09 am
    • USA
To be fair, they were expecting the faces of the franchises.  This is essentially what would be instead of getting Cloud and Ryu we got Barret and Sagat.  Prominent players of the game's world, story and gameplay....not exactly front and center of the posters and merchandise.
#2370  February 18, 2021, 01:08:49 am
  • I want to learn, no criticize
    • Dominica
    • yaretromero@hotmail.com
Sakurai did it again hehe although I've never played Xenoblade but her gameplay looks fun and that stage looks so sick.! with a lot of details  :sweetheart: I think everybody is  :yuno: now.xD SAKURAI.!!! the leaks said Crash bandicoot
Last Edit: February 18, 2021, 01:12:27 am by yaret
#2371  February 18, 2021, 01:15:10 am
    • USA
To be fair, they were expecting the faces of the franchises.  This is essentially what would be instead of getting Cloud and Ryu we got Barret and Sagat.  Prominent players of the game's world, story and gameplay....not exactly front and center of the posters and merchandise.

Min Min did it to Spring Man, too.  The age of the Protagonist is over;  Now is the age of the Waifu.
#2372  February 18, 2021, 01:22:25 am
    • USA
Sometimes I forget Min Min is in this game.  Didn't play Arms, just saw others at it, and only with Flubber.  And tried her out when she dropped, it's.....FINE, but not in my wheelhouse.  I'll stick to Samus and Cloud, thanks.  Arms just also doesn't have that popularity clout to make her stand out more, she's just....there.

Besides Geno, were there any other characters we know Sakurai had intentions for but got the boot for one reason or another?  Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is a fairly well-documented one.  We had the supposed Monster Hunter getting dropped WAY early on for actual monster representation as per Capcom's desire and the toolset was likely reworked into Byleth.  Don't particularly recall anyone but I'm not exactly an encyclopedia on the topic.
Last Edit: February 18, 2021, 01:27:15 am by Long John Killer
#2373  February 18, 2021, 01:26:17 am
  • Build it, shape it, by my will.

Min Min did it to Spring Man, too.  The age of the Protagonist is over;  Now is the age of the Waifu.
So you're saying Chun-Li has a chance :readgoi:
#2374  February 18, 2021, 01:28:54 am
    • Mexico
I would love to have Chunners if only because then we could have some more Street Fighter songs that aren't from 2. That was probably one of the biggest letdowns from vanilla Ultimate, and now they have a chance to fix that.
#2375  February 18, 2021, 01:35:15 am
    • USA
#2376  February 18, 2021, 01:37:05 am
    • USA
You say that ironically, but the way ReMind and Melody of Memory is setting her up as a potential replacement star....

Besides, I thought the fan base was through with Kairi since KH2, it's all about Aqua since BBS.

Hah.  My favorite takeaway comment from this character reveal I'm stealing for here: "They got tired of adding anime swordsmen so they added an anime sword".
Last Edit: February 18, 2021, 01:53:46 am by Long John Killer
#2377  February 18, 2021, 01:52:58 am
  • Every day is night
    • Brazil
    • linktr.ee/Magma_MKII
Boring and predictable. Meh.

I wish Nintendo remembered Kururin.
#2378  February 18, 2021, 02:36:57 am
    • USA
You know, it just occurred to me that Sakurai already upped the ante for Fighter Pass 2 by making it have 6 new characters instead of 5, and now here we find out that one of those characters is two entire characters.  What an absolute madlad.
#2379  February 18, 2021, 03:52:25 am
  • Man of Mystery (and Chocolate)
    • USA
When a reveal makes me go 'Who??', it's going to be a hard sell for me. Don't get me wrong, I understand there are fans of the Xenoblade series out there... but I'm not that familiar with it outside of Shulk in the Smash games.
#2380  February 18, 2021, 04:08:27 am
    • USA
It is not that big of a series.  Looking it up, the biggest entry in it, Chronicles 2 which Pyra here hails from, is only a bit over 2 million and the remastering of Shulk's game is a bit over 1.  It appears to just also not have been expected to have done that well to begin with, has done markedly better in the west than expected and is notably Nintendo-exclusive.  And while not monumental, 2 million sold isn't nothing either.  It has just the right checkmarks of interest is there yet has room to grow that marketing through Smash now would be prime time for it.

Not that sales alone should be a basis, else we would have gotten, I dunno, 2B or Shantae long before more Xenoblade content specifically.  Or you know, Pokemon Sword and Shield's stupidly high numbers and the headache of controversy that baggage would carry with it.

Part of my brain is bugged a bit by their inclusion going against Smash's impetus on being all-stars of video gaming in general, but then the other half points out that they should let Nintendo-exclusive successes get their moment of fame they deserve.  But the characters are very C-tier in Nintendo's long history, so ehhhh....there's numerous third-party characters WAY more regarded that would have been preferred, and just from Nintendo's stock there's certainly more than a handful.  Still wholeheartedly think Midna should have gotten an upgrade out of assist trophy hell.

But I can't be too hard on the game.  Haven't played it, only know what I know of it thanks to Dunkey.  And it really tells me all I need to ever know on the game.
Last Edit: February 18, 2021, 04:23:54 am by Long John Killer