YesNoOk

Death Battle (And sprite fight animations) (Read 17392823 times)

Started by Long John Killer, April 09, 2015, 03:59:16 am
Share this topic:
Re: Death Battle/One Minute Melee
#1041  September 30, 2016, 06:00:12 pm
  • Ore no kobushi ga MAKANI MOERO!
    • USA
    • www.facebook.com/aznpikachu215
To be fair even when they use custom made sprites it can be kinda screwed up... if I'm not mistaken for the Ryu vs Scorpion match they used SF3 sprites for Ryu, and when he turned to Evil Ryu they used Reu's sprites which are in SFA style... like why do that?

Yeah, but with Mugen sprites, anything is possible, especially in animating it. Right?
#1042  September 30, 2016, 06:10:40 pm
Maybe you're saying it in an ironic way but, if it's not, using different sprite sets hurts the consistency of the animation. If you have the resources use them correctly.

Going a little off topic now.
Maybe they're not Death Battles, but the ones you showed in your YT channel that come from bilibili... those are very good:
(0:33)
Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 09:25:31 pm by AlexSin
#1043  September 30, 2016, 06:48:27 pm
    • UK
There are CvS sprites of Ken, including custom made ones. But no, let's use SF3 sprites against CvS Terry. --;
He could have done the same for Sean. No, he had to use SF3 sprites and when they're all running he used CvS sprites pasting the SF3 head on the sprites. Sakura, Blanka and Dan I can excuse since their CvS spritesets are their rescaled SFA ones, but the other three I cannot.

The animation starts at 9:32 and ends at 11:55

I won't mind the puppet animation used at times, but these are other pet peeves of mine:
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
I think ben scripts the animation, so scenes like the death and such should be passed onto ben instead of jetz himself
Like chad(Boomstick) said in one of their post DB streams that they chose the way a fight should end (bringing up how he originally intended red to hug charizard and cry before being incinerated)
I imagine they have a list of things the animator should put in their fights, like ken had to look fucked up to show strong willpower mentioned in the summary etc

Also dan "dying" shouldnt be a reason to hate the animation

Idk much about CVAnimations projects outside of screwattacks stuff since its usually a dorkly style sketch but this was heaps better than his sonya vs cammy
As if he took notes from past animators works from animation style, comedic taste and use(the "my leg" thing usually seems like a maple story animator thing), music(sure im not ok with the re use of jungle theme, but its the kind of music torrian would use)
Heck even camera angles were improved from his last DB as sonya and cammy sometimes looked like cutouts or portraits etc

It may not be hyper guage level but it sure as hell isnt animation rewind level like its being made out to be

As you're right with potential. I gotta stop you for the examples, the animations you mentioned were long as hell and had no deadline
With Screwattack trying its best to make do from their loss of the hyper guage crew, they have to bust out the animators they DO have

I myself dont know how long they're given in regards of time but, the last two animations of jetz are only 1 episode apart with the tracer scout fight in the middle
Its not like they can shift easily between animators like they could when they had hyper guage (mali, zack, chris tyler, aquila, etc plus torrian and co along side giving each animator enough time to finish and touch up their fights)
when you put the fact that he and the other db animators have limited with the fact that their level of skill differ, it isnt hard to realize that they're being milked dry

Best example imo of a worn out result is joker vs sweet tooth
Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 07:28:21 pm by Pooh Hardy
#1044  September 30, 2016, 07:17:51 pm
    • USA
    • Skype - TatariZane2009
Improved or not, he still has a long way to go.
#1045  September 30, 2016, 07:30:11 pm
    • UK
Without a doubt, but SA generally need more good DB animators
Cant milk their current ones to death (updated my previous post )
#1046  September 30, 2016, 09:21:11 pm
  • Hungry Wolf
  • Aspiring Sprite Animator
    • South Africa
What is it with you defending SA so badly?
#1047  September 30, 2016, 09:28:21 pm
  • Ore no kobushi ga MAKANI MOERO!
    • USA
    • www.facebook.com/aznpikachu215

As you're right with potential. I gotta stop you for the examples, the animations you mentioned were long as hell and had no deadline
With Screwattack trying its best to make do from their loss of the hyper guage crew, they have to bust out the animators they DO have

I myself dont know how long they're given in regards of time but, the last two animations of jetz are only 1 episode apart with the tracer scout fight in the middle
Its not like they can shift easily between animators like they could when they had hyper guage (mali, zack, chris tyler, aquila, etc plus torrian and co along side giving each animator enough time to finish and touch up their fights)
when you put the fact that he and the other db animators have limited with the fact that their level of skill differ, it isnt hard to realize that they're being milked dry

Best example imo of a worn out result is joker vs sweet tooth

Wait, they had a team leaving Screwattack? I didn't know that. I just thought they look for animators for that specific time.
Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 07:04:03 pm by aznpikachu215
#1048  September 30, 2016, 09:36:28 pm
There was a group of animators that worked with them but quit because they were treated badly (ie they weren't getting paid, or not enough). They made their channel (Hyper Gauge) and they're now hosted by Hyun's Dojo.

I think ben scripts the animation, so scenes like the death and such should be passed onto ben instead of jetz himself
Like chad(Boomstick) said in one of their post DB streams that they chose the way a fight should end (bringing up how he originally intended red to hug charizard and cry before being incinerated)
I imagine they have a list of things the animator should put in their fights, like ken had to look fucked up to show strong willpower mentioned in the summary etc

Also dan "dying" shouldnt be a reason to hate the animation
I get that, but at least make it more cinematic, like them exchanging some final blows, charging their real final attack and falling down with one dead or something. The end looks rushed, that's all I'm saying. Either end it at the explosion part or finish it with another supermove.
I realize the fights don't always have to end with a super move, but it's like playing a fighting game and do a match: you do the supermove, the enemy is at 1% of health and you kill him with a light punch. What's the fun?
Again, just sharing my point of view here, they're free to do whatever, even do like what I just described.

I don't hate the animation, in itself it's average, not bad but there's room for improvement.
And why can't I list Dan dying as something I find negative? It's not like he's always stupid, so he could have run away with the others. He has the sprites to do so.
Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 10:20:46 pm by AlexSin
#1049  September 30, 2016, 10:14:25 pm
    • UK
What is it with you defending SA so badly?
Not even close, i just said its not really the animators faults that they're getting rushed as hell
If anything my point is against SA
#1050  October 01, 2016, 01:22:25 am
  • Proper order of things is often a mystery to me
    • USA
Amy Rose's opponent has been revealed.

#1051  October 01, 2016, 01:29:46 am
  • Build it, shape it, by my will.

Jmorphman help us out here it's been years since I read any of this.
#1052  October 01, 2016, 01:41:08 am
    • USA
Here's looking forward to them at least getting the best game soundtrack there is to use for this next fight.
#1053  October 01, 2016, 02:05:30 am
  • Magna Power
  • Its Hotdog time. Hot.... Dog...time...
    • neofiresonicmugen.webs.com
are they actually going to use sonic boom amy instead of fan-girl amy?
this website is stupid
#1054  October 01, 2016, 02:07:49 am
    • USA
It's just a picture for the poster, it'll be a fusion of all interpretations of Amy, as with Knuckles when they showed his Sonic Boom characteristics.  Case in point, I think they will likely throw in the likes of Hyper Mode from Sonic the Fighters, before she turned modern.
Last Edit: October 01, 2016, 02:12:13 am by Long John Killer
#1055  October 01, 2016, 01:13:33 pm
    • UK
are they actually going to use sonic boom amy instead of fan-girl amy?

well every fucking sonic character is put through a stipulation in death battles
Sonic - power ups, super sonic and games
Tails - side games, comic, no power ups or super
eggman-  cartoon and games
shadow- just chaos power and super shadow
knuckles- just sonic boom and sonic x....no power ups or hyper knuckles

if ben likes amy they'll give her more feats, if not, she aint winning.
#1056  October 01, 2016, 04:15:33 pm
  • Sunglasses at night
    • USA
Bruiser Battle

#1057  October 01, 2016, 04:38:00 pm
  • Scion of the Flames
  • it aint over when you lose its over when you quit
    • Australia
    • DBZxprodigy1994@gmail.com
well that was badass not gonna lie i was fine with either winning i dont like Broly that much still a great fight
#1058  October 02, 2016, 01:13:15 am
  • After I win,You wanna get pizza?
  • I'm always ready for an adventure.
    • Argentina
Wow,All the cast of Street Fighter is dead,At least Blanka and Akuma survived., But we still have Alex or Elena or Urien or Ibuki etc
Akuma, blanka and zangeif
You gotta be manly to win a DB
Violent ken is orochi ken
Brainwashed ken didn't even do much anyway

Wrong.

There is no Orochi Ken.  There is no Evil Ken.  I think you guys have spent too much time with Mugen lol.

Fucking...i cant find where it said it was ken with orochi shit in his system
Edit:
Found it
http://streetfighter.wikia.com/wiki/Ken_Masters

"Violent Ken is an alternate version of Ken that appears in SNK vs. Capcom: SVC Chaos. He is the result of Ken absorbing the Orochi power from the King of Fighters series. He was inspired by "Sennou Ken" (Brainwashed Ken in Japanese), which was depicted in Street Fighter II: The Animated Movie, during which M. Bison induced a large amount of Psycho Power to transform Ken into a killing machine"

Ooops,I forgot Zangief also survived a DB
#1059  October 05, 2016, 03:11:26 pm
  • You Can't Handle The Truth!
    • www.youtube.com/user/DevilRaptorB
Amy Rose Stalks Into DEATH BATTLE!

#1060  October 05, 2016, 11:34:08 pm
    • USA
So I've been reading Scott Pilgrim again, and while Ramona is, like, 10 times a better character than Amy, her feats don't help her much.  The best I'm getting is that she can chance a magic door to appear just when its needed to go wherever she wants and one time at an art museum, she effortlessly pulled out a metal hand rail from a wall to deflect Knives'...knives, which puts her in superhuman strength levels.  But this was in comedic fashion, as is many of Scott Pilgrim's battles.  Where things take a more realistic tone in day by day activities, the next page a vegan uppercuts Scott into space and he land back down in a few seconds more dazed and annoyed he missed.

I mean, if we take that stuff into account and pass it on to everyone, as the game implies, then yeah, I guess she's durable to get thrown through an entire school, brick walls and all, but also weak enough to be stabbed by sharp objects.  And no outside help bans her from the whole sword of love thing she got with Scott's help at the end of the series, unless they just give it to her anyways because she's already achieved it, but the speed disadvantage really plays against anything she can do.  Maybe an intelligence boost in that Amy is, what, 14?  And kind of a lovestruck idiot?  But I still don't see Ramona winning.  Which sucks.

Ramona may know of Amy though, as the series is fully aware of actual video games, Scott himself apparently being addicted to Sonic 3.  And stuff like cheat codes and save points work in their reality as well, but also for comedic effect rather than integral to fights, so I dunno, can she just, like, turn on God Mode or something?