the torrent (Read 11689 times)

Started by Valodim, April 20, 2006, 10:59:32 pm
Share this topic:
the torrent
#1  April 20, 2006, 10:59:32 pm
    • Germany
Me said:
   ssatsu said:
I think this is the worst thing to come out of the community, so if torrents (even with "unauthorized" stuff) were to to be distributed by this forum to curtail selling, I'm all for it.

fucking yes. starting now, going to go public soon.

Sooo. This idea came up in #mugen a while ago, and everyone was pretty much all for it. It wasn't really fleshed out in the end, so I bring it up here.
main pros and cons:

Pro:
- getting started with mugen is easier for newbies. hey, why not?
- surprise buttsecks for those jerks selling mugen games on ebay!
- a way to actually establish standards, at least those animnos for characteristics? :molleyes:

Contra:
- since it's easier, newbies may become even more lazy, which could results in omg help me floods. but I don't think that's oooh so bad :)
- ethic problems. but I think distributing mugen or winmugen is not a problem by now. tons of pages are hosting it >_>

of course this is NOT let's get all the stuff we can into the torrent and distribute. it's on a voluntary basis, we should put in some explanations (I know noone reads readmes, but muh. We could call the file wheretogetmorechars.htm ;) ).

Problems:
What screenpack / screenpacks? "Quality standard" for chars? Who'd allow his char to be put into such torrent? Should this all never happen and go to hell immediately?

Someone said:
Discuss.
Last Edit: April 20, 2006, 11:43:49 pm by Valodim

B²92

Re: teh torrent
#2  April 20, 2006, 11:19:37 pm
Random said:
That's strange. I don't recall anyone saying they liked the torrents.

Valodim said:
Problems:
What screenpack / screenpacks?
Solution : EVE screenpack, because it's the best.
#3  April 20, 2006, 11:20:34 pm
    • Germany
minus sarcasm, please.
#4  April 20, 2006, 11:27:28 pm
so why would a torrent work any better than just a list of sites again ? That's one of the main arguments we had about other people's torrents, why can we ignore it now just because we're making one ? It's exactly the same in the end. Minus the cons. Are we trying to get an advertisement that might have some chance of overriding that of eBay ?

As for screenpack, in case you actually go with the project, might as well make a special one. Mugen Guild Special.
Quality standard ? Obviously. I'm thinking about something like the Mugen Creator Battle Melee Something for the... quality check, except with chars already done. And minus all the "full game" aspects, doubt anyone would take the trouble to tweak this and that for the torrent.
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
Last Edit: April 20, 2006, 11:33:36 pm by Byakko
#5  April 20, 2006, 11:43:34 pm
    • Germany
tweaking defense, attack and life values would be possible, I guess :P

That's one of the main arguments we had about other people's torrents, why can we ignore it now just because we're making one ?

well... yeah, because we don't use stuff without permission. and that's the whole point. :P

Bea

Re: the torrent
#6  April 21, 2006, 12:25:40 am
  • MUGEN Grandma
    • Brazil
    • www.smeenet.org
I say we should try it and see how it turns out.
Princess Adora: "My friend saw She-Ra take her dress off in the shower. She said she has an 8 pack. She said She-Ra is shredded."

SF2NES is dead. Long live SF2NES.
#7  April 21, 2006, 12:39:17 am
  • Coffee, Chocolate and MUGEN
    • Brazil
    • www.justnopoint.com/sparta/
I'm all for it.

as for the original screenpack, gimme the design and i shall program it (as long as it ain't Tatsu's Add004 like, since in this case, there would be major Character programming involved).

sugestion for the name: MFG Battle: Fight for the Community. 

#8  April 21, 2006, 12:47:04 am
    • Germany
#9  April 21, 2006, 12:52:12 am
  • Hedgehog Whisperer
  • Red Bull addict
    • Spain
    • xgargoyle.mgbr.net
and do you think that will solve anything at all? You're just opening pandora's box to torrents.

It's true that people are already distributing mugen stuff through torrents, but it's done in an underground way. If MFG distributes a torrent now, you're only giving reasons and ideas for these idiots to make their own torrents. They could even say it's the famous MFG official torrent.

Do you expect the newbies and leechers to differentiate between a legal torrent and a illegal one? They cannot even do that with warehouses, why a torrent would be better?

And last but not least, it's common knowledge that torrents are associated with illegal stuff. Do you want to let people associate the idea of mugen=illegal stuff because it's distributed and "accepted" by a mugen forum??

We already have a hard time to defend ourselves from idiots that state we're using roms for our stuff, and therefore our creations are already illegal. Do you want the same shit to be associated with illegal distribuiton through torrents?

Sorry, but I'm against this torrent thread. Just my 2 cents.

XGargoyle: Battle posing since 1979
http://xgargoyle.mgbr.net
http://www.pandorabots.com/pandora/talk?botid=e71c0d43fe35093a  <-- Please click that link
http://paypal.me/XGargoyle  <-- Donations welcome!
#10  April 21, 2006, 01:00:20 am
    • Germany
actually, I get some TV shows from torrents, and that's perfectly legal. Y'see, the game and music industry don't like torrents. Because they use stuff without permission, obviously. Now, if there were "official" torrents with games or music, they would be way easier to control for those industries; but since they need to make money with what they sell, that's not an option for them.

For us, on the other hand, it is. We don't lose anything. It's no difference at all for us whether someone gets the free stuff and compiles it himself (possibly losing interest on the way), or us wrapping together some stuff and offer it for download. And still, it makes "the market" easier to control, and shows that asking for credit is more than a tight-assed attitude.

We already have a hard time to defend ourselves from idiots that state we're using roms for our stuff

Like when? :muh:
#11  April 21, 2006, 02:10:43 am
  • [E]
    • Mexico
i agree with the torrent idea and give it my support; though i can't really apport much to it right now. what about using a new hitspakrs standar for it, with fire,water,etc.. particles and ready to program meltyblood like sparks?

DGJ

#12  April 21, 2006, 04:43:41 am
    • sd.mistrust.com/mugen
While I think this torrent thing will create more problems than it'll solve, I don't understand why you think it needs to have a name/screenpack.  Why can't you just offer a torrent of characters (and maybe stages) and just let that be it?

#13  April 21, 2006, 05:37:38 am
  • In after lock
    • mugenguild.com/~messatsu/index.html
If there are other versions, a name is necessary.  At least in the form of a version number.

Many people risk their lives everyday by having Mugen.
#14  April 21, 2006, 11:38:23 am
    • Germany
'06 :P

and if we have a bunch of chars... well... why not include a screenpack?
#15  April 21, 2006, 01:29:41 pm
  • I stand alone.
    • UK
    • hyperionx.net
So it's a bunch of random characters (although good) in a torrent ... ?

In that case, why not throw together somewhat 20-30 (good && open source) characters, leave 10 open slots, from different games, a simple yet nice looking screenpack, and some stages (simple --> advance) with a few midis (or whatever you guys want to use as a standard; ADX?).

Following what Valodim has said in the opening post, if the idea is to get new people started, we can pack it with some custom documentation (e.g. Cabbit007’s Lifebar Tutorial) and let people learn how to modify and remove things.

The idea is to let them modify and then get them the motivation "wow, I wanna do something like this too!". But the stuff should be somewhat simple to modify (no advanced lifebars, or screenpacks with so much in it, to avoid the counter-productive effect).

Well, I think that is better then bundling a bunch of characters in it for what seems to be no purpose, but if it is to drive people from selling it, then I suggest 2 packs :beam:. One to get people started, the other to stop people from selling. =)
Don't PM me. =(
(•_•)

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)
#16  April 21, 2006, 03:24:39 pm
    • www.justnopoint.com/
That would be a lot better idea. Just throw in "open source" creations that people can use as templates if they start to create.
It may cut down alot on the massive thievery that occurs usually when new people download creations and don't know that it is wrong to modify them and share them.
#17  April 21, 2006, 04:17:45 pm
  • Just a butcher on a mission
    • www.justnopoint.com/lbends
Argument against creating a special screenpack:

If we're going to that that, might as well go one step further and make a full game :P
#18  April 21, 2006, 04:29:47 pm
  • Limited time to use Infinite power !
    • France
    • network.mugenguild.com/cybaster/
But a full game would imply more work (this isn't a problem), but also the fact that people won't be able to use those standards characters outside the full game, and normal mugen chars won't fit in the full game either.

DGJ

#19  April 21, 2006, 04:32:08 pm
    • sd.mistrust.com/mugen
'06 :P

and if we have a bunch of chars... well... why not include a screenpack?

Giving it a special name/screenpack/theme causes it to stop being a torrent of characters that people can add to their MUGEN and become a torrent of a full game.  That wasn't the original intention, from what I understand.

#20  April 21, 2006, 04:45:23 pm
  • Limited time to use Infinite power !
    • France
    • network.mugenguild.com/cybaster/
Giving it just a screenpack doesn't make it a full game in my opinion.
It just gives a theme to the pack, nothing more. People can decide wether to keep the screenpack, or just use the characters from the char folder into their own mugen folder.