YesNoOk

Forgotten Fighting Games (Read 41611 times)

Started by AJZ, July 10, 2022, 03:32:51 am
Share this topic:
Re: Forgotten Fighting Games
#21  July 20, 2022, 09:31:44 pm
yuyu hakusho fighting games , mostly anime fighting games during the 90s. a lot of them are actually ok.

there were two i played one is from sega mega drive , one is from a console i forgot what it was i was too young to remember but i think it was a pc engine.
#22  July 20, 2022, 10:24:38 pm
    • Philippines
    • andypetines@gmail.com
yuyu hakusho fighting games , mostly anime fighting games during the 90s. a lot of them are actually ok.

there were two i played one is from sega mega drive , one is from a console i forgot what it was i was too young to remember but i think it was a pc engine.

Flash Hiders?

I would love to have this game sprite ripped. The Super Famicom sprites are kinda small.
sailormoongalaxy said:
I had read on Wikimoon, and I found it grotesque it was so wrong.
#23  July 20, 2022, 10:44:49 pm
  • I'm trapped in my own personal hell.
  • I'm going to kill myself.
    • USA
Star Gladiator.
#24  July 20, 2022, 10:58:07 pm

I know it's a very long video, but I've never heard of many of these games so it might come in handy.
#25  July 21, 2022, 01:06:19 am
  • I swear I've been working on Geese all this time.
  • Kind of POTS style editor, except not really.

I would think ANY Street Fighter game would never be forgotten. Considering the many ports, remakes and remasters, as well as sequels from Capcom, so I don't think those would fit on the list. Esp. the SNES port of SF Alpha 2, considering the recent new discovery in it from a few years ago.

I assume this also applies to any/all KOF games as well.

My takes on a "forgotten" fighting game would be game titles that are uncommon, underrated, very rare, or have probably sold very poorly.

Yeah, that's fair. I mainly just did SFA2 SNES since it hasn't really been ported as much as the arcade version has, since it's only on the Wii U & 3DS eShops right now, with the 3DS version only working on New models (and that's not even getting into the eShop shutdown happening in late March).

Similar deal with the KOF PS2 games and the Fatal Fury PS1 games, since most of those haven't really been ported to anything outside of the PS3 on PSN in Japan (well, KOF 2003 has, but even then I think most prefer 98 or 2000 anyway).

Actress Again does have a strong cult following, but I don't think it's gotten quite as much attention as Type Lumina, at least not recently anyway.

Last Blade... okay actually that one probably isn't very niche, that just sort of popped into my head when writing the list.

The rest are just sort of niche anime fighters that don't have quite as much presence mainstream as Street Fighter V, Tekken 7, Smash Ultimate, and such have.

SFA3 on GBA hasn't been ported to anything at all, not even the Wii U eShop.

Alpha 3 Max is mainly only really on PSP & Vita, same with Darkstalkers Chaos Tower.

I did kind of want to say TMNT Tournament Fighters & stuff like Red Earth and Cyberbots, but Konami & Capcom have them on collections for modern platforms now.
#26  July 21, 2022, 01:43:39 am
    • Philippines
    • andypetines@gmail.com
Another one I almost forgot.

X-Men Mutant Academy 1&2. Both are fun with the sequel having more moves and characters and you can even play Prof. X. I normally don't like 3D games during this era but this is an exception. If you love Marvel Super Heroes you will feel right at home here. I like this game mechanic it has where you can transfer energy from one of three meter bars during the battle. I usually put energy in the meter bar that fills up faster where as the other 2 takes time to fill up.

As for the 3rd game X-Men Next Dimension which was only for the PS2  I didn't really get to play that one and I got annoyed with those launcher combos having this pause. Guilty Gear Strive does it right but not this one.
sailormoongalaxy said:
I had read on Wikimoon, and I found it grotesque it was so wrong.
#27  July 22, 2022, 02:27:14 am
  • A.K.A. NED
  • I like to draw fighting game characters...
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbOUsx9De9U[/youtube]

I know it's a very long video, but I've never heard of many of these games so it might come in handy.

Thanks! Very nice find!!
Sadly I know all of them...

Beside of the basketball one ^^;

R Xhird being one of my last "finds" even if it's mostly a model swap of Toshinden.

I kind of like Bugi/Kensei on ps1
#28  July 22, 2022, 03:01:21 am
    • Brazil
Not sure if this one can be considered "forgotten" if people probably didn't know it existed in the first place. The name is just "Monster" and its essentially a fighting game with furry characters. Found it was a thing recently because I found three characters from it in MUGEN, if those are anything to go by, the gameplay is pretty fun.

#29  July 22, 2022, 06:39:37 am
  • A.K.A. NED
  • I like to draw fighting game characters...
Not sure if this one can be considered "forgotten" if people probably didn't know it existed in the first place. The name is just "Monster" and its essentially a fighting game with furry characters. Found it was a thing recently because I found three characters from it in MUGEN, if those are anything to go by, the gameplay is pretty fun.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYyXqNvzNDo[/youtube]

Oh! I remember! Yes! I think most pre-steam doujin games can be considered obscure!
I was quite surpised to see mugen characters based on this game!
#30  July 22, 2022, 08:35:23 am
  • 하나뿐인 한국인 대표
  • Ambassador of MugenRevival
    • South Korea
    • sites.google.com/view/kolossoni-mugen
The Eye of Typhoon (only released in 3DO)

This game is pretty obscure in the FGC scene too.
#31  July 22, 2022, 10:07:22 am
  • "Forgeddaboudit"
  • Squawkabilly
    • Romania
    • wf4123.neocities.org
Does anyone heard about this? Yes it's Kin Yeo Fighting for MS-DOS.

#32  July 22, 2022, 02:07:10 pm
    • Portugal

Don't know how many people know about this one?
This game was canceled before actually being released, but the ROM's popped up online and it works perfectly fine.
It was featured on Fightcade's "Hidden Gems" page for awhile, but once it was gone the few players that it had dropped it like a hot potato. It's completly dead now which is a shame as it's a pretty cool game imo
#33  July 31, 2022, 08:10:08 am
  • MUGEN IS MY LIFE /I promise from not to derail.
I remember there was a huge glossary listing that included all fighting games posted here or some other forum years ago. If there is a link to it then it can give an idea of even the most obscure and forgotten games.

The one game that I think of is Sailor Moon Fighting games for Super Famicom (SNES). That was my introduction to the Sailor Moon series.
Esaka rules Beat that.... Or Just Get outta my way
#34  June 02, 2023, 05:08:05 am
    • USA
Battle High 2 A+ seems to be totally forgotten by now, which is a shame. The game is very cheap on Steam, for one, and while it has no online play/net code support whatsoever, the game still has some worthwhile ideas going on, such as a universal dash cancel system allowing for varied combos or a powerful hit and run defense, as well as universal reversals and overheads. Story wise, think of it as Naruto+Rival Schools, and there are some interesting characters in the mix, and it even has some charge input supers. The Super bar itself considers having your Super move loaded separate from having meter; you can burn off your meter with dash cancel combos or universal reversals, then unleash your super anyway. Part of why I’m speaking so fondly is because of my own nostalgia for an earlier version of the game on Xbox 360 Live Indie Games, especially because it was during the days of Underdog MUGEN Wiki and I wanted to convert the roster. In fact, the game is still being worked on, with a future version planned.

Steam is home to a bevy of forgotten games, often having migrated from other platforms to gain notoriety, such as The Rumble Fish 2 (heard bad things about this port), Chaos Code, and Dual Souls: the Last Bearer (formerly Dual Blades), and there are also originals like Verdict:Guilty, but Sturgeon’s Law is also rampant there.
#35  June 02, 2023, 03:25:44 pm
voltage fighter gowcaizer is another one, not played by many even in fightcade

when will this personal crises ends? it just won't stop!
#36  June 03, 2023, 04:53:49 am
    • USA
voltage fighter gowcaizer is another one, not played by many even in fightcade

Indeed so, and furthermore the game is owned by Arc System Works, yet they haven't ever seemed to acknowledge the IP in their crossovers. Same with Battle Fantasia, the first fighting game from ArcSys to use 3D models; it too doesn't seem to be acknowledged much in crossovers; Code Shifter is far from a complete picture of ArcSys's IP; many franchises are missing, but all of those are rather obscure. A crossover fighter from ArcSys that sticks to their own properties maybe with some additional guests down the line could be a good way to bring light to the rosters of Gowcaiser, Battle Fantasia, and other franchises. If Battle Fantasia were to continue, I could see the game becoming fully 3D to fill a niche the other fighters don't, and to homage how it was their first 2.5D game.