Re: New 2D Fighting Game SkullGirls Coming in 2012
#261  November 15, 2011, 12:35:56 am
    • Germany
    • www.game-art-hq.com
#262  November 15, 2011, 12:41:11 am
  • [E]
    • Mexico
Is there already fanart of this game made in other styles?
#263  November 15, 2011, 01:00:12 am
    • Germany
    • www.game-art-hq.com
#264  November 15, 2011, 01:09:35 am
  • [E]
    • Mexico
thx,
#265  November 22, 2011, 11:31:16 am
Peacock remains the sole interesting thing about this game.

Ah, you seem to have your games mixed up, friend. You see, Skullgirls is a very interesting game. I believe what you meant was

"Arthur remains the sole interesting thing about Mvc3"
#266  November 22, 2011, 11:38:03 am
  • Palette God? Champion? AntiChrist? Something.
  • I AM THE KING OF PALETTES!!
    • USA
Yeah, cause not being interested in this lackluster looking piece of graphics-over-gameplay drivel certainly means you must be an MVC3 fanboy.  You must be one of those people that thinks not liking every boring hipster band on the planet means you must listen to Soulja Boy.

GOH

#267  November 22, 2011, 11:39:48 am
  • Pure radge
    • Portugal
Ah, you seem to have your games mixed up, friend. You see, Skullgirls is a very interesting game. I believe what you meant was

You're gonna do that in every thread aren't you?
Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 11:43:16 am by GOH
#268  November 22, 2011, 11:42:59 am
Yeah, cause not being interested in this lackluster looking piece of graphics-over-gameplay drivel certainly means you must be an MVC3 fanboy.  You must be one of those people that thinks not liking every boring hipster band on the planet means you must listen to Soulja Boy.
Graphics over gameplay? Quite a perplexing statement. I'v been following the gameplay for several monthes now. I'v read pretty much everything Mike Z has said in the Q&A srk thread about the fine details of the gameplay. And I'v watched many streams to see both casual players and tourney pro's alike praise it. Honestly, the attention to detail and creativity in the gameplay department astounds me.

And I assure you, I have very little taste for underground music.

But that's ok. I'd be happy to have a civil conversation about the game. And I assure you, I won't start insulting you if you disagree with me. So tell me, why exactly do you think they are putting graphics over gameplay?

You're gonna do that in every thread aren't you?
What? I assure you, I mean no malice.

Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 12:14:53 pm by Squire Grooktook
#269  November 23, 2011, 07:52:03 am
By the way, I don't like double posting, but I just wanted to say that after thinking it over, I apologize for what I said earlier. I don't mean to insult Marvel 3 or those who play it. I just wanted to point out how absurd it is to not do any research on a game and then point to one character and say "that's the only interesting thing about the game".

Anyway, I want this game to succeed, for all the care and thought that is being put into it. And so I don't want to be a jerk about it and alienate marvel 3 fans by making this game out to be some sort of hardcore hipster thing. It seems like 99% of the people who don't like this game have done absolutely 0 research on it, and have based their opinions of it on several seconds of blurry gameplay footage on a slower, non finalized pre alpha build. I wish more people would open their minds and do some research to find out that the game is actually really good. It's well designed, innovative, and fast (the ten percent speed boost went along way. It's like on turbo mode now).

Anyway, to actually contribute to the thread, apparently a new character or something is going to be revealed on black friday. Also, apparently the new character is further along in development then painwheel
#270  November 23, 2011, 08:17:26 am
    • senorfro.deviantart.com/
I can't help but kinda agree with 'Squire' here on some aspects.  What is so bad about this game that it turns a surprisingly amount of people off?  From what I've read, seen, and heard, it has a lot going for it. 

- It's played at 'Wed. Night Fights' which, for all intent purposes, is a beta testing ground to see what might be broken, etc. 
- It's quality 2-D with a lot of animation and work being put in
- The 'graphics over gameplay' holds no merit what-so-ever as Mike Z is helping in this.  From what I'm hearing from those 'Fights' the gameplay is a little MvC1 and Guilty Gear X.  It looks nice, but gameplay is a heavy factor, so it's strong on both accounts
- It's not Capcom, SNK, Namco, whatever, but an outside company trying to make a good fighting game.
- Personal preference, but I like how the characters look so far.  Peacock is a great nod to the golden age of cartoons, but I'll never play her due to her keep-away tactics.  I'm mostly interested in Parasoul, Ms. Fortune, and Cerebella.  It seems that a lot of hate is from how the designs look.

I, myself, am looking forward to this, and I'm not the biggest fan of MvC or GG type gameplay.
#271  November 23, 2011, 09:13:00 am
    • Germany
    • www.game-art-hq.com
My reasons why i dislike this game so far are simply that it is full of girls.

Some of my favourite characters from fighting games of all times are freaks like Baraka from MK, Geese Howard and Billy Kane from Fatal Fury and B Orchid from Killer Instinct

In this game i see girls. A catgirl  which can throw her head. A weak looking one with a hat with big arms. Thats  just not my thing, absolutly not, call it sexsistic or whatever but i like my girls in fighting games either looking sexy or goddamn fierce

The next is the..yarrrr graphics.

For me they look like they have freaky anime characters put in western like comic style, something like that..and i just dislike it.

Gameplay wise the game looks good, it might even be very good. Thats still not reason enough  for me to buy it. Alone already because a lot other great fighting games were ust released or getting released next year (SCV februar, SFXT march)

#272  November 23, 2011, 09:15:04 am
  • EL FUCKO GRANDE
  • I'm back, nerds
    • Canada
Stopped reading there.

You just invalidated your reason for constant bitching in every page of this thread.
#273  November 23, 2011, 09:19:09 am

Some of my favourite characters from fighting games of all times are freaks like Baraka from MK, Geese Howard and Billy Kane from Fatal Fury and B Orchid from Killer Instinct

In this game i see girls. A catgirl  which can throw her head. A weak looking one with a hat with big arms. Thats  just not my thing, absolutly not, call it sexsistic or whatever but i like my girls in fighting games either looking sexy or goddamn fierce

The next is the..yarrrr graphics.

For me they look like they have freaky anime characters put in western like comic style, something like that..and i just dislike it.

Gameplay wise the game looks good, it might even be very good. Thats still not reason enough  for me to buy it. Alone already because a lot other great fighting games were ust released or getting released next year (SCV februar, SFXT march)

1: They are going to have male characters as dlc. Some of them look pretty tough, from the character sketches.

2: Give the art style a chance. I didn't like it either, but it has really grown on me. First of all, the game suffers from what I like to call "Blazblue syndrome", that being, the characters have meh portaits but in their sprites and animations, they look amazing.

3: From what I'v learned about this game so far, my honest oppinion is that this game is gonna blow all those games out of the water.
#274  November 23, 2011, 09:29:18 am
  • チョンリサ
    • Canada
So GBK said graphics > gameplay lol
you can't mixup a blind man, and you can't out think a brick ~skisonic
Street fighting is all about analysis, prediction, and reaction. That's it.

#275  November 23, 2011, 09:45:56 am
    • Germany
    • www.game-art-hq.com
in this rare case, yes

if skullgirls would be the only good fighting game on the horizont in the next time i would give it a chance, even with those - in my opinion-  shitty characterdesigns, but for me it has just no chance against the other upcoming games. And somehow i still cant shit gold so i can barely use 50 euro for games in a month, i rather spend them on something i prefer

@Squire Grooktook
Good points, i didnt know that about any male characters, can you link me to these sketches maybe or just post em here?

#276  November 23, 2011, 09:57:28 am
in this rare case, yes

if skullgirls would be the only good fighting game on the horizont in the next time i would give it a chance, even with those - in my opinion-  shitty characterdesigns, but for me it has just no chance against the other upcoming games. And somehow i still cant shit gold so i can barely use 50 euro for games in a month, i rather spend them on something i prefer

@Squire Grooktook
Good points, i didnt know that about any male characters, can you link me to these sketches maybe or just post em here?

Well the game is only going to be 15 dollars. That's like, what, 1/4th as much as they are? I advise you to learn more about the gameplay. Sfxt, Umvc3, Sc5, I don't think any of them can match the sheer amount of thought and dedication that is being poured into each and every character in this game.

As for the sketches, here's a few

Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty

There's actually a lot of stuff on Alex Ahads website, but nobody knows what is intended for this game and what are just sketches.
#277  November 23, 2011, 04:21:20 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico

Well the game is only going to be 15 dollars. That's like, what, 1/4th as much as they are? I advise you to learn more about the gameplay. Sfxt, Umvc3, Sc5, I don't think any of them can match the sheer amount of thought and dedication that is being poured into each and every character in this game.

pretty sure gbk's time is worht more than that, so that makesthe price irrelevant.
#278  November 23, 2011, 05:20:31 pm
    • Germany
    • www.game-art-hq.com
never thought to agree with you, but you really nailed the point!

:ninja:
#279  November 23, 2011, 05:43:00 pm
    • USA

well, to be fair, if you don't like a game's graphics then you're not going to enjoy the game that much. Would you play Super Stickman IV AE where everybody looks the same?
#280  November 23, 2011, 10:52:58 pm

pretty sure gbk's time is worht more than that, so that makesthe price irrelevant.
I'm just saying, it already looks to be the best air dash fighter since Accent Core. And with that price, you can't really go wrong.

well, to be fair, if you don't like a game's graphics then you're not going to enjoy the game that much. Would you play Super Stickman IV AE where everybody looks the same?

This is a false argument. A fighter with stick figures would be unplayable because you wouldn't be able to tell what the fuck is going on. The ratio of female to male characters, whether they are drawn realistically or cartoony, should have NOTHING to do with one enjoyment of the gameplay.