YesNoOk

Final Fantasy MegaThread (Read 414466 times)

Started by DatKofGuy, December 20, 2012, 07:06:40 am
Share this topic:
Re: Final Fantasy MegaThread
#661  June 12, 2019, 05:58:18 pm
Ok, reactions to both VII Remake and VIII Remaster are astonishing from myself, but especially for VIII because I thought an underlying reason why we don't see as much of it with ports and whatnot was they lost the actual source materials to, well, port or remaster.  Was a copy found?  Did they just recreate it from scratch?

Regardless of the story though, of course I'll get it.  And Remake just continues to look better and better each trailer, was already sold on it just existing.
if they recreate it from scratch, it could be possible that all the existing glitches (especially those skips) and manipulations found by the speedrunners will be fixed :'( I have the PC version currently and glitch like the Rinoa skip in the train only works for the original ps version.

when will this personal crises ends? it just won't stop!
#662  August 20, 2019, 05:01:29 am

when will this personal crises ends? it just won't stop!
#663  September 11, 2019, 06:18:01 pm
    • Argentina
Final Fantasy VII remake new trailer
Spoiler, click to toggle visibilty
#664  September 11, 2019, 07:36:45 pm
Advent Children-style bike chase yay

edit - I never played Dirge of Cerberus but the part where they're climbing up the staircase while being shot at is making me think of that cutscene from DoC. It does feel like they're trying to give everyone a taste of all the spin-off games.
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
Last Edit: September 12, 2019, 07:44:38 pm by Byakko
#665  September 12, 2019, 02:59:07 am
  • This is going to be very entertaining.
    • USA
Wow, they somehow made Don Corneo even sleazier.  Cool to see they kept the goofy "workout with spandex-clad musclebeasts" minigames, but they have to know what they're doing teasing cross-dressing Cloud like that.
#666  September 12, 2019, 03:22:59 am
  • Proper order of things is often a mystery to me
    • USA
Yeah, wonder if they're expanding on the gym owner's role in the story?  Was just there to be a surprise cross-dresser for a laugh that you couldn't tell right away from the simply polygon count and give you the wig part of the costume.  We already presumed things would play out different and we can see some of the events are similar but slightly changed.  Tifa joining coercing Cloud into the costume rather that finding out afterwords for example.

I dunno if I like the idea of President Shinra showing up via hologram now better.  Something more personal about him showing up there in the flesh as big a person he is to the world to see off the end of Avalanche.  Love the frog morph keeping the Buster Sword though.
#667  September 14, 2019, 02:52:05 pm

Battle gameplay against a Behemoth-looking boss named Apsu. Was there an enemy with that name in FF7 ?
edit- oh, of course, it was the sewer boss Aps. I hope they'll fix those bad translations and name it Apsu like it should.
Lots of videos on the reactor demo have finally been popping up, too.

Music sounds great.

This one has another run at the reactor mission, but at the 30 minute mark, you get the Honey Bee squat game. (and then the Apsu fight)
If I struggled to the end of my determination, to the end of my way of life with my followers, if the result is ruin, then this ruin is inevitable. Grieve. Shed tears. But you cannot regret.
Last Edit: September 14, 2019, 10:12:25 pm by Byakko
#668  September 14, 2019, 10:43:51 pm
    • Germany
I'm wondering who the new Soldier Character is that appears in Bike Chase.
#669  September 14, 2019, 11:30:51 pm
    • USA
I'm taking the less exciting route and presuming that guy's not a unique character and instead is one of the SOLDIER 3rd Class enemies you fought in the Shin-Ra building right before finding Jenova in her storage container and you get to the whole Hojo forcing Red XIII to mate with Aerith cutscene. (Which now that I think of it, is that something they're going to really do again in the remake...?  Kinda really messed up stuff there)

For being enemy super soldiers, they're kind of nobodies as far as enemies go.  Especially for being in the same program as Cloud.  And I think that weapon you see with them is the one they drop when you farm them in the original game?  So this could just be a way to make something out of them while also referencing Advent Children.
#670  September 15, 2019, 12:08:32 am
(Cloud didn't actually get into the Soldier program, but he did get the Mako treatment) I thought the actual Soldier enemies were noticeably stronger than the generic soldiers with the triple-eyed helmet and the scarf. They were nameless, but they were an actual threat in the Shinra tower. Then again, everyone in your party is supposed to be able to fight them off, and the other second and third class you meet in Crisis Core (Luxiere, Kunsel etc.) don't seem to have nearly the same level of superpower as the likes of Zack and everyone else. Looking it up a bit, it seems they did get Mako treatment, but I guess not anywhere close to Zack and the others ?
That guy has clear eyes but not glowing, I don't know if that's supposed to be Mako eyes ? Maybe it's the lesser level of Mako treatment, so probably second class, but then that doesn't make him any better than the other second class Soldiers you meet in Crisis Core, who don't do shit. Zack starts Crisis Core as a second class so maybe that's where this guy is.
#671  September 15, 2019, 12:28:20 am
    • USA
They could also just be reinventing the terms of what Soldiers can or can not do in terms of power and abilities, they're touching up everything else in the lore thus far, might as well really hammer in that super soldier difference.  I forget what the deal was with the Sephiroth wannabes in Advent Children was, where they were with the Mako infusions.  I know the main one was so in-tune with it he did accomplish what he sought out to be and became the vessel for Sephiroth to return (And promptly lose when supposedly infinitely stronger yet clearly not?  AC has a few issues to say the least) but I don't know where on the scale the others in the movie fall also doing bike tricks just like this dude.

And yeah, I know the whole memory thing with Cloud and all that, should have said Zack, sorry.  And I dunno, I don't recall them really putting up much of a fight.  Especially with a save point in the same room as them should something go wrong.  I do recall they had some nasty spell with them that would occasionally get the best of you if you weren't paying attention but like I said, save point right there.
#672  September 15, 2019, 12:50:10 am
Well, as far as putting up much of a fight goes, it's obviously subjective because level up and gameplay and all that, but I remember they hit a lot harder than all the other common enemies before. The design change with the sword and the different helmet also made me think back then that they were supposed to be a step up from everything before.

There's the Mako infusion that everyone in Soldier got, probably with different levels of response hence the entire class system, and then there's the big load of Jenova cells, only a few got those (successfully). The confusing part is that Cloud makes a point to say that Soldiers are specifically the guys who got Jenova cells on top of Mako (as opposed to other regular soldiers who also have Mako), but then everything else after that is in direct contradiction with that line. The way I understand it, first there was Sephiroth with both Mako and Jenova cells, then they tried with just Mako and that gave Soldier at various levels of compatibility (but no one getting close to Sephiroth), and then they tried again to add Jenova cells and they kept getting mostly failures. Angeal, Genesis etc. have Jenova cells and they decay because of it, but Zack doesn't get any Jenova cells, does he ? He's one of the guys who only get the Mako treatment, but he goes from second to first class. There definitely was a period where the Hojo gang made Sephiroth with both Mako and the cells, then a period where they tried without the cells and it was below their expectations, and then they tried again with the cells and it gave a whole bunch of failed clones (starting with the Nibelheim survivors).
The failed people with Jenova cells become the failed clones in black capes, and the Advent Children gang are some of those clones with Jenova cells who have the potential to be forcibly transformed into Sephiroth. All the black cape guys we meet in FF7 were like that - only we were told that they would have a "reunion" to become Jenova, but Advent Children shows us that the reunion gives a new Sephiroth, not Jenova. I don't remember if the game actually told you that straight up, but every time you "meet" Sephiroth, I'm pretty sure it's one of those failed clones who get turned into him, but only for a moment and then they die. You know, since the real Sephiroth's severed torso is in the crater/cave where Cloud gives him the Black Materia. I'm pretty sure this only became really explicit with the Advent Children gang, when Kadaj does exactly all that.

All of this was more or less already present, sitting around in the various episodes and murky, but it's definitely worth rephrasing and making it clear and explicit in the remake. So yeah, maybe that guy will be part of it.
Crisis Core made quite a mess with those G and S cells and projects. I never really understood what was what or when.

edit - https://finalfantasy.fandom.com/wiki/SOLDIER:1st uh, so first class are also common enemies. So only Sephiroth, Genesis, and Angeal had a notable amount of Jenova cells with the big G and S projects, and Cloud got his cells only after Nibelheim. And there's no particular rank difference between Sephiroth and the other nameless first class.
Last Edit: September 15, 2019, 10:28:10 pm by Byakko
#673  September 25, 2019, 08:31:20 pm
#674  September 25, 2019, 09:52:25 pm
  • [E]
    • Mexico
Did they adjust tifa's model?
She looks like half a cup bigger, and more importantly, her arms and legs look tonned instead of just skinny compared to what I remember when she was first revealed.
#675  November 30, 2019, 11:26:39 pm
https://gematsu.com/2019/11/final-fantasy-vii-remake-details-turks-avalanche-cloud-abilities-chocobo-aerith-and-barret-visuals
Just a few bits of system stuff and interviews. I don't think there's anything really new, it's stuff that's already been mentioned in passing but a bit more detailed. I like the part where weapons have abilities that you can level up and learn for the character then use with other weapons.
Rude looks amazing. But what's that about the slum church housing Shinra's crashed test rockets ??
#676  January 31, 2020, 04:07:39 pm
Last Edit: January 31, 2020, 04:34:59 pm by Byakko
#677  February 01, 2020, 12:16:55 am
  • This is going to be very entertaining.
    • USA
Godsdamn, that looks clean.  Red XIII looks great.
#678  March 05, 2020, 01:19:08 am
Red XIII will only be a guest for certain sections and not a fully playable character. They wanted to spread out his character arc and give him time to develop.

Took a run at the demo. Man, that's kinda scary. Between trying to pull off some moves to realize that your atb gauge doesn't quite have one level available yet, making sure the boss in't shooting at you (as if you would have the time to react to bullets), wondering if the other character you're not currently controlling has anything good to pull off with their atb gauge or if they're just doing their basic attack, not deciding fast enough if I should block or dodge an incoming attack... Things go really fast in battle, I died to the scorpion boss once. I'm gonna have to pause with the command menu pretty often. And it doesn't help that I kept fumbling between Cloud's and Barret's menu without being sure where I was going in the menus with which trigger button.
That pressure got me panicking around those menus a couple times. I really don't blame anyone for demanding a classic mode.

I find it really annoying that the pause menu in battle doesn't allow you to do shit. I realized too late into the scorpion fight that Barret had the lightning magic (I didn't even realize I had that materia at all when Barret became playable because I didn't comb through the menus multiple times) and I didn't assign that command to a shortcut so I had to go through the menu every time. But then again, I don't know if I'll get used to it enough to just breeze through a fight with just the command shortcuts, anyway.

The target lock felt weird, I'm pretty sure that on a couple of occasions, just moving the camera made me fuck up which tiny enemy I was targeting and mess up commands.
Last Edit: March 05, 2020, 01:34:23 am by Byakko
#679  March 05, 2020, 02:38:33 am
    • USA
Sometimes simplicity is the key; and I honestly would have preferred turn based FF7 "remake" I really don't like the new system. So I haven't gotten mental and hyped over it all this time because I simply am not too impressed with it yet. Nice graphics, but they messed up Tifa.
UMT Season #2 - 2nd Place
UMT Season #3 - 1st Place
CvS2 vs POTS Season #1 - 1st Place
NorCal Crab Battle CvS2 - 2nd Place
#680  March 05, 2020, 03:06:58 am
  • Smooches
    • USA
    • Skype - Neocide
Red XIII will only be a guest for certain sections and not a fully playable character. They wanted to spread out his character arc and give him time to develop.

Took a run at the demo. Man, that's kinda scary. Between trying to pull off some moves to realize that your atb gauge doesn't quite have one level available yet, making sure the boss in't shooting at you (as if you would have the time to react to bullets), wondering if the other character you're not currently controlling has anything good to pull off with their atb gauge or if they're just doing their basic attack, not deciding fast enough if I should block or dodge an incoming attack... Things go really fast in battle, I died to the scorpion boss once. I'm gonna have to pause with the command menu pretty often. And it doesn't help that I kept fumbling between Cloud's and Barret's menu without being sure where I was going in the menus with which trigger button.
That pressure got me panicking around those menus a couple times. I really don't blame anyone for demanding a classic mode.

I find it really annoying that the pause menu in battle doesn't allow you to do shit. I realized too late into the scorpion fight that Barret had the lightning magic (I didn't even realize I had that materia at all when Barret became playable because I didn't comb through the menus multiple times) and I didn't assign that command to a shortcut so I had to go through the menu every time. But then again, I don't know if I'll get used to it enough to just breeze through a fight with just the command shortcuts, anyway.

The target lock felt weird, I'm pretty sure that on a couple of occasions, just moving the camera made me fuck up which tiny enemy I was targeting and mess up commands.

what mode were you playing in? because when I open the battle menu whatever during a fight it slows down the actual fight itself. You didn't have enough time to choose then? The targeting thing I noticed too, was very easy to lose a lock on.