YesNoOk

WHATS GOIN' ON?? Server troubles and stuff.. (Read 40806 times)

Started by Valodim, January 26, 2011, 11:06:25 pm
WHATS GOIN' ON?? Server troubles and stuff..
#1  January 26, 2011, 11:06:25 pm
    • Germany
Hey guys. Again.

Here's what's happening. Due to recent server troubles you probably all noticed, I moved the forum to a different server.

This happened about 24 hours ago. However I did not have a very recent backup, and so we lost a bit more than two days of posts. I added those posts today, unfortunately due to a mistake of mine we lost today's posts in exchange.  :S

I sincerely hope we're through with maintenance stuff for a while now. Posts etc should be stable as of now, and I'll be more careful with your posts in the future.

I did not move the network stuff etc, so that's down for the time being. This is only a temporary solution, we'll move back as soon as the troubles on the other server are dealt with.
Re: WHATS GOIN' ON?? Server troubles and stuff..
#2  February 06, 2011, 07:28:54 pm
    • Germany
GOD this is a bad year for mfg. really can't catch a break!

Three days we've been on that other server and its system hdd crashed. replaced it, we're still on there.

Sorry guys, kinda running into one unrelated roblem into the next here :thinking:

Here's hoping we'll last a little longer this time around.
#3  January 09, 2012, 02:54:46 pm
    • Germany
Hey :)

So, we'd been good through the entire rest of the year till a few days ago. That's acceptable I guess ;P

Everything is up and running, server is still doing some filesystem checking and so on so it might be a tad slow for a few days.

I don't really know what happened, just some freak error. I think it's just old hardware, one bit corrupted in ram in a bad position can be enough to make everything blow up.

That's why we are going to get some hardware upgrades soonish, replace some old RAM get a more speedy CPU and so on - which means there will be a day or two of planned downtime this or next week. But after that we will be running on state of the art hardware, not that old athlon 64 we scavenged from a basement ;)

Alright. I'll keep you up to date, and try to keep maintenance downtimes (reboots etc) to a minimum.
#4  January 12, 2012, 03:13:06 pm
    • Germany
We are going to set up the new machine today, few hours from now.

I HOPE this works and we'll be back later this day. Can't promise anything though ;P
#5  January 16, 2012, 07:45:52 pm
    • Germany
Ok this took longer than expected.

We ran into a bug with the software raid (mdadm) which prevented us from booting, so we couldn't put the server in place on Thursday. We got a workaround now with a custom initrd, but (for reasons) we weren't able to set the server up in its regular place yet.

I brought the server home and it's running at my place for now - I hope my internet connection can take it. ;) The IP will also expire in 24 hours, I will either refresh the dns then, or (hopefully) we have an opportunity to put it back in its working place by then. Since DNS propagation is slow, it may take a while until everyone is able to see the page again.

- V
#6  January 18, 2012, 11:13:28 pm
    • Germany
Alright people, that's it!

Server is up and running, new hardware, new OS. Now I hope I don't have to touch anything on that thing for at least a year :)
#7  January 24, 2012, 02:05:06 pm
    • Germany
Due to a slight oversight in configuration, the forum software was unable to send mails the last few days.

Sorry to everyone who registered or tried to change their password etc. during that time. I activated a bunch of accounts manually, everyone else might have to use the password reminder feature.

Sorry :)